• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 tabledrummer

tabledrummer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:25 AM

First of all, congratulations on porting everything to Linux :-)
You're doing a great job, as always...

One question: Now that you've ported it to linux, will the qnap owners soon be able to install PMS as a service on the qnap NAS?
That would be AWESOME...

please let me know...

...and I want to encourage everyone to donate a small amount for their hard work. really worth it :-)

Thanks
Tabledrummer
Oh, how my rampant desire
Ripped from the presence of God
Now hungered like a beast
For the knowledge of evil

#2 Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:27 AM

2nd post :D

by the way, tabledrummer have you managed to install plex onto QNAP yet, since the Linux is already out ? :)

#3 slatibart

slatibart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

qnap support would be great !

#4 Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:42 AM

http://www.plexapp.c...ms-download.php

:)

#5 Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:21 PM

bump :)

#6 alhambra81

alhambra81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:15 PM

Qnap support would be very welcome, I'd be willing to donate to help support this.

#7 Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:34 AM

*bump :)

#8 P-Mac

P-Mac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Agreed, Qnap support / port would rock my world! I'm sure like others, at the moment my biggest issue with PMS running on my mac mini is that it cannot monitor my QNap NAS drive paths for instant file changes (only possible w local disks) so instead it runs scans every few hours which isn't perfect...nearly but the instant file change / update to library is what you want!

Other great benefit being to all having AppleTV2s running plex, truelly having one central up to the minute PMS running in the house off your nas...hopefully not too far off now, I can't wait!

Keep up the hard work guys, appreciate all your efforts so much, you're awesome!
 Mac Mini Server 2,53 GHz | 8GB RAM | SSD Drive  MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz | 8GB RAM  Apple TV2  QNAP TS-439 Pro II Turbo (6 TB NAS)

#9 laop

laop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

Hi

I have to agree, PMS on QNAP would be awesome.

I will also donate to have a PMS ported to this line of NAS particularly the T219P+ (Marvell CPU)

Thanks

Laop

#10 Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

no, we want the intel atom cpu qnaps 659 pro II specifically to be supported :)

#11 htgrimsholm

htgrimsholm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:42 AM

I am also waiting on Q-Nap support. I would be really great :) .

#12 lchichiarelli

lchichiarelli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:35 PM

+1 for qnap support.

my 459Pro can't wait :lol:

#13 RogerIrrelevant

RogerIrrelevant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 04:09 PM

If there's anything I can do to help with testing out, let me know; plenty of old-school unix experience helps when cobbling this kinda thing together :) QNAP TS-210 by the way...

#14 WombatPredator

WombatPredator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:18 PM

OK so, on a complete whim, I downloaded the ReadyNAS version and ran start.sh on my TS-439 Pro II.

Here's the error message:

BusyBox v1.01 (2011.03.30-11:04+0000) multi-call binary

Usage: readlink 

Displays the value of a symbolic link.

Usage: dirname FILENAME

Strips non-directory suffix from FILENAME

./Plex Media Server: error while loading shared libraries: libsoci_sqlite3-gcc-3_0-3.0.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So, Linux gods, where do we go from here?

#15 bollewolle

bollewolle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

QNAP TS-210 by the way...

That's one of the qnap's with an ARM processor in it right? I think it will be doubtful that there will be a port for ARM soon seeing what the Plex devs already have on their plate. Best hope for qnap's at the moment are the ones with an Intel processor in it (which are quite a few). The code is already there and they're also more powerful so it should be easier to run PMS on them. Problem is that the current packages won't run on qnap's as there are some errors like the one in the post above this one. Hope something can be done about it, I'm giving my TS-509Pro a processor update to an E7600 so when it PMS becomes available it'll be the perfect system :)

#16 RogerIrrelevant

RogerIrrelevant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:27 AM

That's one of the qnap's with an ARM processor in it right? I think it will be doubtful that there will be a port for ARM soon seeing what the Plex devs already have on their plate. Best hope for qnap's at the moment are the ones with an Intel processor in it (which are quite a few). The code is already there and they're also more powerful so it should be easier to run PMS on them. Problem is that the current packages won't run on qnap's as there are some errors like the one in the post above this one. Hope something can be done about it, I'm giving my TS-509Pro a processor update to an E7600 so when it PMS becomes available it'll be the perfect system :)

Yup, it has an ARM-Based Marvell Processor. 800MHz is of little use for Transcoding, but it is more than adequate for at least dishing up the files, and keeping the database. There are plenty of NAS boxes which use similar processors as well, not just the QNAPs, so although I accept it's not high up the agenda for Plex developers, it would serve as another feather in Plex's cap if there are people who are at least willing to help try out :)

#17 RogerIrrelevant

RogerIrrelevant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:39 AM

OK so, on a complete whim, I downloaded the ReadyNAS version and ran start.sh on my TS-439 Pro II.

Here's the error message:

Usage: readlink 

Displays the value of a symbolic link.

Usage: dirname FILENAME

Strips non-directory suffix from FILENAME

./Plex Media Server: error while loading shared libraries: libsoci_sqlite3-gcc-3_0-3.0.0.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So, Linux gods, where do we go from here?

It looks like the readlink command is not 'complete' on BusyBox v1.01. This is particularly impressive, as that version of BusyBox was out in 2005, and QNAP have not chosen to update to a newer version.

There appear to be two solutions to this; one is a quick cludge just to get things going, and the other is a more long-term solution, but I can only test to a certain point as I do not have an Intel-Based system, so make sure you take backups of files you alter before you start.

1) The cludge: Edit the start.sh file so that you put in the ABSOLUTE path to start.sh
Change
SCRIPT=$(readlink -f $0)
to
SCRIPT=/full/path/to/where/you/installed/plex/start.sh
and bear in mind if you ever move Plex to another folder, it will not work without amending that line again.

2) Install an updated set of commands on your NAS, including a working version of readlink, which is a cleaner way of making things work. There is an IPKG called coreutils which contains this:
-- Look at http://forum.qnap.co...?t=18701#p85130 for installation instructions, but MAKE SURE that Optware IPKG is installed under the QPKG section of your NAS's web admin console before you do anything else
-- Amend start.sh so it looks as follows;
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/opt/bin/:$PATH
SCRIPT=$(readlink -f $0)
SCRIPTPATH=`dirname ${SCRIPT}`
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${SCRIPTPATH}"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6
ulimit -s 3000
./Plex\ Media\ Server
The additional line simply forces the NAS to look in the folder /opt/bin (where coreutils installs) for commands before looking elsewhere. As it only runs in the scope of this script, it won't upset anything else you may have installed on your NAS.

Hope that helps!

#18 mav3r1ck

mav3r1ck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:44 PM

It looks like the readlink command is not 'complete' on BusyBox v1.01. This is particularly impressive, as that version of BusyBox was out in 2005, and QNAP have not chosen to update to a newer version.

There appear to be two solutions to this; one is a quick cludge just to get things going, and the other is a more long-term solution, but I can only test to a certain point as I do not have an Intel-Based system, so make sure you take backups of files you alter before you start.

1) The cludge: Edit the start.sh file so that you put in the ABSOLUTE path to start.sh
Change

SCRIPT=$(readlink -f $0)
to
SCRIPT=/full/path/to/where/you/installed/plex/start.sh
and bear in mind if you ever move Plex to another folder, it will not work without amending that line again.

2) Install an updated set of commands on your NAS, including a working version of readlink, which is a cleaner way of making things work. There is an IPKG called coreutils which contains this:
-- Look at http://forum.qnap.co...?t=18701#p85130 for installation instructions, but MAKE SURE that Optware IPKG is installed under the QPKG section of your NAS's web admin console before you do anything else
-- Amend start.sh so it looks as follows;
#!/bin/sh
PATH=/opt/bin/:$PATH
SCRIPT=$(readlink -f $0)
SCRIPTPATH=`dirname ${SCRIPT}`
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${SCRIPTPATH}"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6
ulimit -s 3000
./Plex\ Media\ Server
The additional line simply forces the NAS to look in the folder /opt/bin (where coreutils installs) for commands before looking elsewhere. As it only runs in the scope of this script, it won't upset anything else you may have installed on your NAS.

Hope that helps!

Altered the Shell "start.sh"

Next step... missing GLIBC versions

./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by ./Plex Media Server)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.8' not found (required by ./Plex Media Server)
./Plex Media Server: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by ./Plex Media Server)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libcurl.so.4)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libcurl.so.4)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libavcodec.so.52)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libavformat.so.52)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libxml2.so.2)
./Plex Media Server: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libsoci_core-gcc-3_0-3.0.0.so)
./Plex Media Server: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libboost_program_options.so.1.46.1)
./Plex Media Server: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libboost_regex.so.1.46.1)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libminiupnpc.so.5)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libnatpmp.so.1)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libepeg.so.0)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libfreeimage.so.3)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libiconv.so.2)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.10' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libdbus-1.so.3)
./Plex Media Server: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.7' not found (required by /share/Qplex/PlexMediaServer/libjpeg.so.8)

Need some help on that. I've downloaded glibc-2.7 to start with.

My QNAP TS809U-RP NAS is Intel based:

Linux version 2.6.33.2 (root@NasX86-5) (gcc version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2))

It all comes to compiling. Using configure/make/make install etc.

I bump into the following situation:

/configure --build=x86_64
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-none
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-none
configure: running configure fragment for add-on nptl
*** The GNU C library is currently not available for this platform.
*** So far nobody cared to port it and if there is no volunteer it
*** might never happen. So, if you have interest to see glibc on
*** this platform visit
*** http://www.gnu.org/s...bc/porting.html
*** and join the group of porters

I am not sure on the build.. it's a i686 processor family type

Would be great to have some guidance from a linux expert.

Thanks!

#19 RogerIrrelevant

RogerIrrelevant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

/configure --build=x86_64
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-none
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-none
configure: running configure fragment for add-on nptl
*** The GNU C library is currently not available for this platform.
*** So far nobody cared to port it and if there is no volunteer it
*** might never happen. So, if you have interest to see glibc on
*** this platform visit
*** http://www.gnu.org/s...bc/porting.html
*** and join the group of porters

I am not sure on the build.. it's a i686 processor family type

Would be great to have some guidance from a linux expert.

Thanks!

I'm not near my NAS for a couple of days to experiment, but I really wouldn't try and compile from source if there's a chance someone else has already done it, and it looks like there is a package that may get you past this stage.

If you're feeling in an experimental mood (and with no guarantees), try issuing

ipgk list | grep GLIBC

also repeat command with GLIBC in lower-case, and if nothing found, replace with GCC

From there, I wouldn't mind betting you will find a package suitable which contains the libraries already compiled for you.

I'm hoping that you won't have to create some symbolic links to get that going, but I'm kinda expecting you will. You might get away with being able to add the path of the newly installed libraries to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, but without testing myself I wouldn't like to guarantee anything.

#20 laop

laop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 01:49 PM

Yup, it has an ARM-Based Marvell Processor. 800MHz is of little use for Transcoding, but it is more than adequate for at least dishing up the files, and keeping the database. There are plenty of NAS boxes which use similar processors as well, not just the QNAPs, so although I accept it's not high up the agenda for Plex developers, it would serve as another feather in Plex's cap if there are people who are at least willing to help try out :)

Please note hat the 219p+ is a Marvell 1.6 ghz

Hardware Spec.
CPU

Marvell 6282 1.6GHz

DRAM

512MB DDRIII RAM

Flash Memory

16MB

I am not usre if this is good eniugh for transcoding

Laop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users