124 replies to this topic

#41 P-Mac

P-Mac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:23 AM

Success.

My friend Rizzy managed to get Plex Media Server onto the QNAP and working.

I'll post some details later. But i'm going to watch pirates of the carribean 4 first :mrgreen:

Buddy, that is a joy to my ears! Please do let us all know the details when you get back from the Carribean, I cannot wait to have PMS on my QNAP. I saw a tweet this morning from @plex which has a link to the first package for the QNAP available to download, although that said, I haven't installed it yet.
 Mac Mini Server 2,53 GHz | 8GB RAM | SSD Drive  MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz | 8GB RAM  Apple TV2  QNAP TS-439 Pro II Turbo (6 TB NAS)

#42 mav3r1ck

mav3r1ck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

B)

Installation PMS server for QNAP:

First of all.

THANK YOU ELAN and your crew for the excellent help on getting this PMS working for the QNAP!!!

*** Start your favourite SSH or Telnet tool (like terminal,putty, fugu etc) ***

1) Download the main installation file on your QNAP: http://www.plexapp.c...debian4.tar.bz2
2) Use the command bzunzip and tar for unpacking the file
3) Command: ipkg install avahi (you need to have optware as a QPKG installed)
3) Edit the start.sh with the full path towards your installation:

SCRIPT=/share/your/location/start.sh

4) Symlink the file ./Library in your QNAP /root folder towards a place where it can write its directories/data.

Command: ln -s /share/your/PMS/location/username ./Library

command: ll gives you something like this in return:
Library -> /share/your/PMS/location/username

5) Error(s) to overcome:

./Plex Media Server: error while loading shared libraries: libssp.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks to user iXô on the PLEX forum to resolve this:

Download this file somewhere, http://ipkg.nslu2-li....2.1-5_i686.ipk

decompress it :

Command: tar xvzf gcc_4.2.1-5_i686.ipk

It will report 3 files,

decompress data.tar.gz :

Command: tar xvzf data.tar.gz

In the unpacked folder opt/lib/ you have to copy libssp.so.0.0.0 to root folder of pms for linux as libssp.so.0

6) Go to your PMS folder on your QNAP and execute the start.sh (try adding '&' in last line of the start.sh) --> Thanks CeeKee!

example start.sh:

#!/bin/sh
SCRIPTPATH=`dirname ${SCRIPT}`
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${SCRIPTPATH}"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6
ulimit -s 3000
./Plex\ Media\ Server &

Try http://your-QNAP-IPa...ss:32400/manage and DANCE (and if you do Dance ;) upload it on YouTube lol)

Mav3r1ck
Streamotica

#43 Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:45 AM

plex is installed. the web browser thingy works too.

however when you add the location for your videos, it doesn't properly catalog them .... i hope plex fixes that :(

i did a small test by adding a small folder first. it listed 2 things i didn't have. like wtf :/

Also it didn't fully catalog my videos like battlestar galactica full series. Only 2 eps.

Also those 2 eps can't even play the video :/

It stopped at 2 and didn't do anything :{

#44 laop

laop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

Hi

Great work!!!

I know there is still work to do on this installation and that bugs and issues will appear

But now that it seems to be working on the intel based Qnap, can anyone help in getting it to work on tha ARM based units? If access is needed to a unit via ssh or other means I am willing to provide my unit for this purpose

Laop

#45 JensU

JensU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

i just stopped dancing ;)
thanks mav3r1ck for the great help!

and thanks a lot to the plex team which made our dream come true !!!

i'll do some tests now. i already could add a folder with 4 movies which were successfully added to the database with cover and info.

cheers
jens

Qnap 459 Pro - FW 3.3.4 - PMS 0.9.9.10
Mac Book Pro - OSX 10.8.4 - PlexHT 1.0.13
iPad 2 & iPad Air - iOS 7.1.0 - Plex 3.4.2

Nexus 4 - Android 4.4.2 - Kepler 3.2.13.122

#46 Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:59 AM

'mav3r1ck'

B)

First of all.

THANK YOU ELAN and your crew for the excellent help on getting this PMS working for the QNAP!!!

1) Download the main installation file on your QNAP: http://www.plexapp.c...debian4.tar.bz2

4) Symlink the file ./Library in your QNAP /root folder towards a place where it can write its directories/data.

5) Error(s) to overcome:

./Plex Media Server: error while loading shared libraries: libssp.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

decompress it :

It will report 3 files,

decompress data.tar.gz :

In the unpacked folder opt/lib/ you have to copy libssp.so.0.0.0 to root folder of pms for linux as libssp.so.0

6) Go to your PMS folder on your QNAP and execute the start.sh (try adding '&' in last line of the start.sh) --> Thanks CeeKee!

example start.sh:

#!/bin/sh
ulimit -s 3000
./Plex\ Media\ Server &

Try http://your-QNAP-IPa...ss:32400/manage and DANCE (and if you do Dance ;) upload it on YouTube lol)

Mav3r1ck
Streamotica

Maverick posted the similar install method my friend figured out. Do that to get plex installed onto your qnap.

Apparently there are 3 issues needing to be addressed.

theres only 3 issues really.

1. the broken start.sh

2. as well as the missing dependency. I think it's called libssp

3. is because qnap uses a ramdisk, u need to link the ~/Library folder to somewhere else with space

This is problematic because when you reboot, your stuff will be gone, and it will fill up fast and ull get sqlite errors saying cant do disk i/o

#47 Henry Mac

Henry Mac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 01:39 PM

B)

First of all.

5) Error(s) to overcome:

decompress it :

It will report 3 files,

decompress data.tar.gz :

example start.sh:

#!/bin/sh
ulimit -s 3000
./Plex\ Media\ Server &

Mav3r1ck
Streamotica

I assume this is Intel CPU only or will this work on the 419's as well?

#48 RogerIrrelevant

RogerIrrelevant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:07 PM

I assume this is Intel CPU only or will this work on the 419's as well?

Yup. I've offered to help out with compilation on ARMs if need be, but I doubt this is really high up the Dev's list of things to do.

#49 P-Mac

P-Mac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:01 PM

B)

First of all.

5) Error(s) to overcome:

decompress it :

It will report 3 files,

decompress data.tar.gz :

example start.sh:

#!/bin/sh
ulimit -s 3000
./Plex\ Media\ Server &

Mav3r1ck
Streamotica

Hi Mav3rick,

Do you know if there is likely to be a more friendly install package / method for the QNAP anytime soon being that you guys have managed to port it across now and getting it running?

I know it's early days but I would be a happy tester for all the bugs if I could install it on mine but you lost me with the ssh. I just don't' know it at all, I can access terminal but wouldn't have a clue how to get to the root directory before running the commands listed, I've installed the optware but I'm lost on the ssh, any "dummys" guide to getting this up and running would be appreciated, many thanks in advance to anyone who can share their knowledge on this and to all involved with getting PMS to the QNAP thus far, well done guys!
 Mac Mini Server 2,53 GHz | 8GB RAM | SSD Drive  MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz | 8GB RAM  Apple TV2  QNAP TS-439 Pro II Turbo (6 TB NAS)

#50 Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:12 PM

Ok this took a lot of work.

Step1: Download the PlexMediaServer for QNAP intel NAS just released by Elan the Plex developer. THIS IS BETA, treat it as such.

Give this a try, built with Debian 4 ~
http://www.plexapp.c...debian4.tar.bz2

Step2: Follow Maverick's instructions on how to install the PMS linux onto the QNAP. (this only works for intel cpu sorry)

:mrgreen:

First of all.

5) Error(s) to overcome:

decompress it :

It will report 3 files,

decompress data.tar.gz :

example start.sh:

#!/bin/sh
ulimit -s 3000
./Plex\ Media\ Server &

Mav3r1ck
Streamotica

Step3: Go to your router and make sure to port forward 32400 for your QNAP.

Step4: Access the Plex Media Manager using this url
http://YOUR URL OR LAN IP:32400/manage/

Step5: go to security PMS manager and change ur username and password to secure it. Then you can now start adding videos.

When adding videos you need to add it using a manual entry, as you cannot apparently browse from the pull down to add your shares. Hopefully that gets fixed.

Also another thing, add parent directories, not child directories as it may not properly catalog your videos as i found out.

Anyway this is an example manual entry i added for my videos

\share\MD0_DATA\Videos

Once done hit the update/refresh and it will begin updating the PMS library with your video files.

Step6: Plex requires a client in order to play the media files. The PMS only hosts, and the PMS manager only can configure it, but not open files to watch. So the solution is to install a PMS client on either a IPAD, Iphone, Android tablet, LG HDTV, or even a MAC Laptop/desktop.

unfortunately windows does not have an official client at this time *sad smiley face

Good news is, there are unofficial plex clients for windows available :mrgreen:

Hi Kton,

while patiently waiting for an official Windows Client you could take a look at the below two options comming from the very active Plex community:

Plex Client for Win32 Alpha and PlexBMC Plugin

-hkeylm

The one i preferred using was PlexBMC, because the other option requires videolanplayer which i hate :?

Step7: download the PleXBMC Stable Release - Version 1.7.7 onto your desktop.

Step8: download XBMC Windows version from http://xbmc.org

Once XBMC is installed, start the program up, then go to

Systems > Add-ons > Install from Zip File

So browse for that PleXBMC zip file to install it.

Once done, go to

Systems > Add-ons > Enabled Add-ons > Video Add-ons > PleXbmc > Click configure

In General you want to set your Plex Media server hostname as "YOUR QNAP LAN IP" without the quotes. You don't have to put the port, as it will auto add the default Plex port for you when you attempt to connect.

In authentication, put your username and password.

once that is all done, go to Videos > Video Add-ons > PleXBMC (All your content from Plex media server on the QNAP will then be found here)

Now you can browse your files and play them :mrgreen:

Enjoy

#51 Moogle Stiltzkin

Moogle Stiltzkin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:26 AM

Here is a youtube demonstration i made

:)

#52 JensU

JensU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:28 AM

the server is running and i can access from any client (pc win7, laptop osx, nokia n900) via the browser interface.
but my new added movie section is not shown by the plex osx client on my mac book pro. shouldn't this work automatically if i can access with http://192.168.2.4:32400/manage ?

i'm running out if ideas. checking the PMS logs i found nothing except:

May 27, 2011 10:00:43 [0xaff63b90] DEBUG - NetworkService: Setting up multicast listener on 0.0.0.0:32413 (outbound: 0)
is this correct?

no error, only these warnings:
May 27, 2011 10:00:43 [0xb10f7b90] WARN - The plug-in /root/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Services.bundle is not runnable.
May 27, 2011 10:00:43 [0xb0e09b90] WARN - The plug-in /root/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Media-Flags.bundle is not runnable.
May 27, 2011 10:00:43 [0xb13e5b90] WARN - The plug-in /root/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/WebManager.bundle is not runnable.
May 27, 2011 10:00:43 [0xb10f7b90] WARN - The plug-in /root/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/SiteConfigurations.bundle is not runnable.
May 27, 2011 10:00:43 [0xb13e5b90] WARN - The plug-in /root/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Framework.bundle is not runnable.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers,
jens

#53 RogerIrrelevant

RogerIrrelevant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 10:40 AM

once that is all done, go to Videos > Video Add-ons > PleXBMC (All your content from Plex media server on the QNAP will then be found here)

Now you can browse your files and play them :mrgreen:

Enjoy

As a follow-up, we did also prove that Transcoding seemed to work pretty damn well to my iPhone :)

#54 mav3r1ck

mav3r1ck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:17 PM

the server is running and i can access from any client (pc win7, laptop osx, nokia n900) via the browser interface.
but my new added movie section is not shown by the plex osx client on my mac book pro. shouldn't this work automatically if i can access with http://192.168.2.4:32400/manage ?

i'm running out if ideas. checking the PMS logs i found nothing except:

May 27, 2011 10:00:43 [0xaff63b90] DEBUG - NetworkService: Setting up multicast listener on 0.0.0.0:32413 (outbound: 0)
is this correct?

no error, only these warnings:
May 27, 2011 10:00:43 [0xb10f7b90] WARN - The plug-in /root/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Services.bundle is not runnable.
May 27, 2011 10:00:43 [0xb0e09b90] WARN - The plug-in /root/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Media-Flags.bundle is not runnable.
May 27, 2011 10:00:43 [0xb13e5b90] WARN - The plug-in /root/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/WebManager.bundle is not runnable.
May 27, 2011 10:00:43 [0xb10f7b90] WARN - The plug-in /root/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/SiteConfigurations.bundle is not runnable.
May 27, 2011 10:00:43 [0xb13e5b90] WARN - The plug-in /root/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/Framework.bundle is not runnable.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers,
jens

I've got the same problem. I think all has to do with "Avahi" not running?.. can you check with "pidof avahi-daemon"

Quoted Elan from it's BLOG

"the only known external dependency it has is Avahi, which is required to provide Bonjour-based discovery. Unless you install and run Avahi, the server will not show up automatically in all Plex clients."

I messed around with DBUS (/opt/bin/dbus-daemon --system) as this is necessary for avahi to even run.
I eventually managed to get the Avahi-Daemon running, but still " no Players found" and the Mac Mini isn't discovering the PMS on my QNAP.

#55 JensU

JensU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:32 PM

"the only known external dependency it has is Avahi, which is required to provide Bonjour-based discovery. Unless you install and run Avahi, the server will not show up automatically in all Plex clients."

thank you for this information! i just overlooked this. now it's clear why the available (alpha) plex client for windows i've tried also didn't work either (i got an error regarding bonjour, i should read the message popping up :))

the avahi daemon isn't running on my qnap either.

i'll ask the web :)
if i figure something out i'll let you now.

cheers
jens

#56 JensU

JensU

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

http://forum.qnap.co...t=32825#p142859

maybe this we could try...

#57 ceekee

ceekee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:45 PM

I have installed Plex on a QNAP 259.

I am trying to play mkv with a subtitle. First I had the subtitle as a seperate .srt file but that did not work. After that I merged the srt file in the MKV file.

On the Iphone I can select the subtitle but the episode will not start. When I deselect the sub the episode plays :huh:

!!! Transcoder 230 (t=8s, q=3)Registered ffmpeg components, about to parse arguments.
Opening http://localhost:32400/library/parts/180/file.mkv,
!!! Video caps: ca=1, cv=1, ac=libmp3lame, mp3=0, aac=0, ac3=-1, dts=-1, pcm=-1, vp=64, vr=1080, vl=51, mss=3355443, anam=1
About to apply initial settings.
Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
Thread count: 4
Source AR: 1.772727
Input #0, matroska,webm, from 'http://localhost:32400/library/parts/180/file.mkv':
  Duration: 00:42:00.35, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 128 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 624x352 [PAR 1:1 DAR 39:22], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 23.98 tbc (default)
    Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 128 kb/s (default)
    Stream #0.2(dut): Subtitle: [0][0][0][0] / 0x0000 (default) (forced)
!!! Reducing MaxVideoBitrate from 425984 to 256000
Quality 3: me=umh, famerefs=4, subq=4.000000, bitrate=256000Estimating duration from bitrate, this may be inaccurate
Input #1, matroska,webm, from 'http://localhost:32400/library/parts/180/file.mkv':
  Duration: 00:42:00.35, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 128 kb/s
    Stream #1.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 624x352 [PAR 1:1 DAR 39:22], 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1k tbn, 23.98 tbc (default)
    Stream #1.1(eng): Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 128 kb/s (default)
    Stream #1.2(dut): Subtitle: [0][0][0][0] / 0x0000 (default) (forced)

!!! audio stream info:
    codec_id  : 15001
    channels  : 2
    bitrate   : 128000/96000
    samplerate: 48000
    audiogain : 1.00
    ----> Bitrate Failed
!!! Will NOT copy the audio stream

!!! Will NOT copy the video stream
ENCODING: [360x240] 1:1
[buffer @ 0x8da5f10] w:624 h:352 pixfmt:yuv420p
[scale @ 0x8da87d0] w:624 h:352 fmt:yuv420p -> w:360 h:204 fmt:yuv420p flags:0x1
Fontconfig error: Cannot load config file "/share/MD0_DATA/Plex/Resources/fonts.conf"
[ass] No usable fontconfig configuration file found, using fallback.
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
[libx264 @ 0x8e14050] using SAR=1/1
[libx264 @ 0x8e14050] using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 Cache64 SlowCTZ SlowAtom
[libx264 @ 0x8e14050] profile Constrained Baseline, level 3.0
[mpegts @ 0x8e13000] muxrate VBR, pcr every 2 pkts, sdt every 200, pat/pmt every 40 pkts
Output #0, mpegts, to '/tmp/plex-transcode-01c74dce0a195450e042213cc0b83a3c0d7c0370/media-00000.ts':
  Metadata:
    encoder         : Lavf52.105.0
    Stream #0.0: Video: libx264, yuv420p, 360x204 [PAR 1:1 DAR 30:17], q=10-51, 230 kb/s, 90k tbn, 23.98 tbc (default)
    Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: libmp3lame, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 96 kb/s (default)
    Stream #0.2(dut): Subtitle: [0][0][0][0] / 0x0000, 64 kb/s (default) (forced)
Stream mapping:
  Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
  Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
  Stream #1.2 -> #0.2

#58 White-Rabbit

White-Rabbit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:48 PM

Well, I guess my request is pretty soon a success greats to all of you

>> http://forums.plexap...985#entry128985

How long for a qpkg available?

#59 mav3r1ck

mav3r1ck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:57 PM

http://forum.qnap.co...t=32825#p142859

maybe this we could try...

I've already read that topic (thanks though hehe) and I performed some steps.. It lead to getting my avahi-daemon running, but still no handshaking between the PMS and my OSX client (Mac Mini)

#60 Alex5

Alex5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 08:16 PM

When I run the script I get this:

[~/Library] # ./start.sh
[~/Library] # Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia/PMS/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 553, in <module>
main()
File "/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia/PMS/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 536, in main
known_paths = addsitepackages(known_paths)
File "/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia/PMS/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 315, in addsitepackages
addsitedir(sitedir, known_paths)
File "/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia/PMS/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 192, in addsitedir
addpackage(sitedir, name, known_paths)
File "/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia/PMS/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 166, in addpackage
if not dircase in known_paths and os.path.exists(dir):
File "/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia/PMS/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/genericpath.py", line 18, in exists
os.stat(path)
TypeError: must be encoded string without NULL bytes, not str
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia/PMS/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 553, in <module>
main()
File "/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia/PMS/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 536, in main
File "/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia/PMS/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 315, in addsitepackages
File "/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia/PMS/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 192, in addsitedir
File "/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia/PMS/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/site.py", line 166, in addpackage
File "/share/MD0_DATA/Qmultimedia/PMS/Resources/Python/lib/python2.7/genericpath.py", line 18, in exists
os.stat(path)
main()
os.stat(path)
main()
os.stat(path)

Media Server starts, I can access it via the web interface but nothing happens when I click Add Section

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users