• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#21 agentbikes

agentbikes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

I just updated the guide for 0.9.3.4, although it is quite straight forward to install PMS now. :)

#22 prot

prot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:21 AM

the installation on ubuntu server 10.4 x64 went very well and the iPhone app also works fine although quite slow (my old iPhone3G may be the cause).

one problem though: the OS lies on a relatively small USB stick and the Plex server writes quite a lot in
/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library
. How do I move the Plex Library folder to a different location?

#23 Tobias Hieta

Tobias Hieta

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3634 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

check /etc/default/plexmediaserver

Follow me on twitter @tobiashieta or G+

#24 prot

prot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:24 PM

check /etc/default/plexmediaserver

thx for the hint Tobias. Found that one too but I am not sure what exactly happens in case of an update to a new version. So I just moved /var/lib/plexmediaseerver/Library to a diff disk and symlinked it from /var/lib/plexmediaseerver/Library. Works very well and the updates should be fine too.

#25 mcgavinz26

mcgavinz26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:33 AM

Hello Plex world. I hope you can help.

I had Plex running on Ubuntu 10.04 and the install setup was relatively painless. Watching videos on my LG TV was great. A week ago I did a clean disk install on the same machine to 11.04. Its up and running without problems. Tonight I tried installing plex and that went well. I did not install Avahi. To simply run the server on Ubuntu and access it from my LG TV I do not need it, right?

Here are my problems:
1) When I try to add my path to videos "/home/mypc/Videos/TV" using the http://localhost:324...nage/index.html interface, it will not let me browse deeper than the "mypc" folder. As a result, I must manually type paths. Not a big deal, but not clean.

2) If I manually add the path for TV it finds nothing. The structure is the same as what was working with the 10.04 Ubuntu setup.

3) If I manually add the path for Movies it finds the movies and adds images to the files. When I go to the TV to view them, it "cannot play media" even though it can find the files.

I'm using an Intel-Atom-D510MO with 2Gb of ram, if that matters (I'm new at this).

#26 puithove

puithove

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:51 PM

Here are my problems:
1) When I try to add my path to videos "/home/mypc/Videos/TV" using the http://localhost:324...nage/index.html interface, it will not let me browse deeper than the "mypc" folder. As a result, I must manually type paths. Not a big deal, but not clean.

2) If I manually add the path for TV it finds nothing. The structure is the same as what was working with the 10.04 Ubuntu setup.

3) If I manually add the path for Movies it finds the movies and adds images to the files. When I go to the TV to view them, it "cannot play media" even though it can find the files.

Sounds like permissions issues to me. Check the permissions on the folders at each level leading to those paths as well as the files you're trying to scan. Make sure that the plex user that the PMS is running under has access. Looks like the path exists under the home folder of a different user. You might want to find somewhere else to store the media or mount the share.

#27 mcgavinz26

mcgavinz26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:06 AM

I probably should have mentioned that I already did that (store the files in a different location available to browse to). Plus a permissions issue wouldn't quite explain how it is blocked from navigating there, yet if paths are typed manually they are accepted. If it were a permissions issue, then the manual entry of the path should not have revealed the files contained in the movies folder, right?

I only have one user on this PC. Very similar, if not entirely identical, to the previous setup I was using.

I really want this to work. The taste I had of it was great. Very good functionality. Easy navigation. The TV can work with external hard drives in its USB ports, but the media browser there isn't quite as good, although it is still getting firmware updates from time to time. Fingers crossed it gets better.

Any other ideas?

#28 komex

komex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

Hello, everyone!
I have a little problem. My TV (LG) does not see PMS on Linux.
I can do all actions in http://server.local:32400/manage/
http://server.local:32400/servers shows
MediaContainer size="1">
<script/>
<Server name="server" host="server.local" address="192.168.0.1" port="32400" machineIdentifier="cf19219680f7075ac61e6413b9a1327f30b60255" version="0.9.3.5-c3e763f"/>
</MediaContainer>
avahi-browse -a shows
+   eth1 IPv4 32LV370S-ZB                                   _lg_dtv_wifirc._tcp  local
+   eth1 IPv4 server                                        _plexmediasvr._tcp   local
+   eth1 IPv4 server [00:26:18:d9:a5:3e]                    Workstation          local
All must be right, but... =(
Then I've installed PMS on Windows. It's works perfect. And before I did something, it has found server on Linux and TV could connect to Linux PMS. When I stopped the server on Windows, the TV no ​​longer find the server.
I think, something wrong with avahi, because there is no Avahi on Windows (Bonjour installed). How I can fix it?

P.S. Sorry for my English.

#29 mcgavinz26

mcgavinz26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 03:40 AM

So how do I uninstall Plex? Or how do I make it not run at startup all the time?

Edit: sudo apt-get --purge remove plexmediasever

I'll try plex again in a couple months. Hopefully there is some update and it goes smoother.

#30 Grishnac

Grishnac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:54 AM

Hi guys!

Since my previous Vista installation was crap I decided to give Ubuntu a shot to run my PMS on - now Im a total noob on Linux so this has been quite an adventure - I managed to install Ubuntu without any major issues and I also managed to install PMS on the machine, but heres where my problem starts.....

It seems as if PMS doesnt look in folders placed in my mediafolder, I can see that PMS detects videofiles placed directly in the shared folder but any files placed in a subfolder remains undetected until I move it to the shared folder.
Also I am unable to play the movies on my AppleTV2, the mediaserver shows up on APT2 and I can go into the movie category and find the movie there, but it fails to play the file.
On my iPhone I am even unable to connect to PMS at all.

Could someone in "dummyterms" explain what I am supposed to do in order to get things to work? I have looked into the guide to install Avahi but it looks like greek to me....I am even impressed that I managed to install Plex. I did find something called Avahi in the Programsection of Ubuntu so I installed all three applications and kinda hoped that would do it, but I guess it didnt.

Could anyone please help?

#31 AskThomas

AskThomas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

root@ubuntu:~# start plexmediaserver
plexmediaserver start/running, process 25243
plexmediaserver start/running, process 25421
plexmediaserver start/running, process 25598
plexmediaserver start/running, process 25972
plexmediaserver start/running, process 26153
plexmediaserver start/running, process 26330

Server wont start, where are the logs and so, how do I trouble shoot, no info om screenn what hapends.

Running on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS / 64 Bit. Intel Core7i, 24GB of Ram

#32 agentbikes

agentbikes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:02 AM

Hi guys!

Hi,
I think you should at first just follow the Avahi Guide, I couldn't explain it better. You just have to do Step 1 to 5. It's basically just copy and pasting all the lines into terminal.
But I think you have to do this. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Then you can try to play the files. If you can't it's probably permissions. As Plex is its own user it maybe doesn't have the permissions to read. This will help you then: https://help.ubuntu....FilePermissions

Just take your time and read through the guides, it's not that hard. It's basically just copy and paste :).

#33 Robertpolson

Robertpolson

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:33 PM

I fixed my problem by right clicking on the folder and changing permission for everything and everyone to read and write since the folder is on my home media laptop.

#34 Robertpolson

Robertpolson

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:36 PM

I followed the guide step by step. Is there anything special that you configured on Ubuntu? All 3 of my Apple TVs see PMS on Ubuntu just fine and all files play well. However, it takes forever to get any of my macbooks to notice PMS.

What am I doing wrong?

Edit: I restarted avahi and plexmediaserver and everything works well.

#35 Toasty27

Toasty27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 04:24 AM

This may not be the right place to post this, and if so, please let me know. Anyway, here's my problem:

I wanted to completely remove Plex Media Server (v9.3.x) from my Ubuntu machine, so i ran 'sudo apt-get remove plexmediaserver'. I then deleted the /etc/default/plexmediaserver and /etc/init/plexmediaserver files, as well as the /var/lib/plexmediaserver folder. At a later point in time (just now, actually), I decided to re-install Plex Media Server (sudo apt-get install plexmediaserver). However, it seems that none of the above files or folders were re-installed. Without any detailed information about the location of all files relevant to PMS (the wiki is quite lacking in that respect for everything not Mac related), I can only assume that I missed something.

Any help locating the necessary files to completely remove PMS so that I may properly re-install it would be appreciated.

[EDIT]

I seem to have fixed the problem. I found a .list and a .postrm file that I had missed. I removed those, and PMS seemed to install properly afterwards. It didn't start up automatically (I assume it would if I restarted), so I ran the start.sh file in the /usr/lib/plexmediaserver folder and it seems to run just fine.

Though I have found a peculiar bug in PMS. Unless there is a media file in the root directory of your TV shows/Movies/etc. folder (excluding music for some reason), the media scanner won't find any media. In the mean time I've simply placed a random media file in my TV Shows folder which fixed the issue. I never noticed it with my movies since I had some media in the base directory for my movies folder. This is a bug I encounter in both the Mac OS X version and the Ubuntu version of PMS.

#36 macla

macla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

HELP Pleeeze

I have very little knowledge and practice with linux and with using terminal and with computers in general.

I have set up a mac mini with eyetv and plex media server with all our movies, music, tv shows.
It is working very well and I can access it from another mac on my lan.

I have a desktop with ubuntu 11.10 and I want to set it up to also access the mac mini pms.
What do I need to do??? Please be as specific as possible....instructions for dummies.

Thanks

#37 puithove

puithove

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

I have a desktop with ubuntu 11.10 and I want to set it up to also access the mac mini pms.
What do I need to do??? Please be as specific as possible....instructions for dummies.

You're going to be disappointed but there is no official Plex client for Linux - only the PMS (the server side which you're already running on your Mac) is available on Linux.

You do have a different option though. You can install XBMC on your Linux box and then check out the PLEXBMC plugin. Look for the thread on the plugin in the forums here - I think it's under the third-party clients section.

#38 macla

macla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am disappointed.
I tried to go your suggested option but was unsuccessful trying to install XBMC. I followed directions closely and tried numerous times.

#39 knelson

knelson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

Hi guys!

Since my previous Vista installation was crap I decided to give Ubuntu a shot to run my PMS on - now Im a total noob on Linux so this has been quite an adventure - I managed to install Ubuntu without any major issues and I also managed to install PMS on the machine, but heres where my problem starts.....

It seems as if PMS doesnt look in folders placed in my mediafolder, I can see that PMS detects videofiles placed directly in the shared folder but any files placed in a subfolder remains undetected until I move it to the shared folder.
Also I am unable to play the movies on my AppleTV2, the mediaserver shows up on APT2 and I can go into the movie category and find the movie there, but it fails to play the file.
On my iPhone I am even unable to connect to PMS at all.

Could someone in "dummyterms" explain what I am supposed to do in order to get things to work? I have looked into the guide to install Avahi but it looks like greek to me....I am even impressed that I managed to install Plex. I did find something called Avahi in the Programsection of Ubuntu so I installed all three applications and kinda hoped that would do it, but I guess it didnt.

I had this same problem with the files not appearing from the my home folder. Does anyone have a solution to this?

#40 agentbikes

agentbikes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:51 PM

I had this same problem with the files not appearing from the my home folder. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Try #32. ;)

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users