• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#41 MrMela

MrMela

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

Hello, I have Ubuntu 11.10 and I can't run PMS. I installed it yesterday and started automatically, everything was ok. This morning if I try to start it and this is what I get

andrea@andrea-desktop:~$ /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/start.sh
/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/start.sh: 10: ./Plex Media Server: not found

Any Hint?

#42 Tobias Hieta

Tobias Hieta

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3658 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:13 AM

Hello, I have Ubuntu 11.10 and I can't run PMS. I installed it yesterday and started automatically, everything was ok. This morning if I try to start it and this is what I get

andrea@andrea-desktop:~$ /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/start.sh
/usr/lib/plexmediaserver/start.sh: 10: ./Plex Media Server: not found

Any Hint?

Don't start it with start.sh. Either use the included service 'start plexmediaserver' or use 'start_pms.sh'.

Follow me on twitter @tobiashieta or G+

#43 MrMela

MrMela

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

Don't start it with start.sh. Either use the included service 'start plexmediaserver' or use 'start_pms.sh'.

I tried:

andrea@andrea-desktop:~$ sudo start plexmediaserver
[sudo] password for andrea: 
plexmediaserver start/running, process 6155

does this mean that it is running? It seems not, http://localhost:32400/manage shows no connection, neither TV can find it

#44 MrMela

MrMela

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

I tried:

andrea@andrea-desktop:~$ sudo start plexmediaserver
[sudo] password for andrea: 
plexmediaserver start/running, process 6155

does this mean that it is running? It seems not, http://localhost:32400/manage shows no connection, neither TV can find it

start_pms-sh works, but I have to run it as root, and I lost all my settings. Anyway, it works.

#45 skywise

skywise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 02:24 AM

start_pms-sh works, but I have to run it as root, and I lost all my settings. Anyway, it works.

You probably have a permissions problem when run normally.
Try starting it like this:
sudo su -c /usr/sbin/start_pms plex

This will start as the right user (plex) and you should be able to see what's causing it to abort. (Usually file perms in your media someplace)

#46 agentbikes

agentbikes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

Just added a section about how to update PMS.

Would it be possible to make this thread sticky? I think it's interesting for many people. ;)

#47 TheBlackMini

TheBlackMini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

skywise, thankyou for that command! It has fixed my issue with Plex after the upgrade (using apt-get upgrade)

The issue I had was Plex couldn't access one of the folders it had in its library so it would terminate upon starting.

eg:

start plexmediaserver
plexmediaserver start/running, process 25243

doing "sudo su -c /usr/sbin/start_pms plex" showed me the problem and got it fixed, plex is now working like it should!

THANKYOU!

#48 TREYisRAD

TREYisRAD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:39 PM

You probably have a permissions problem when run normally.
Try starting it like this:

This will start as the right user (plex) and you should be able to see what's causing it to abort. (Usually file perms in your media someplace)

Thank you. There was a movie with an odd perm causing PMS to not start. Good call!

#49 pmac90

pmac90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:47 AM

So I am new to the whole Linux thing. My roommate and I just built an 18TB Ubuntu Server to host Subversion/Trac for our development in iOS. We threw in a ton of memory cause we also thought we'd just make it a one place stop for everything media. Of course we use Mac/iOS so we wanted to build it around Plex. We are both new to Ubuntu scene as we have used Mac for the last 5 years, Windows before that. I've read some guides, many confusing and unhelpful for newcomers such as myself. Though I do have Plex installed and I see it running. I boot up the iOS app on my iPhone or iPad and see it but the problem is, showing no content. We've installed the Plex on the root drive (500GB) and all the media is on our HDDArray and have created a folder to point to that "HDD" and haven't found anything. I've searched in the forums but I just can't figure it out. Maybe I'm just stupid but some help would be appreciated because I'm trying to get it up and running so we don't have to think about it again for awhile. Anyways, thanks.

Btw, this has so far been helpful but still confusing to me in terms of the directory. My iOS finds the server my Mac does not. My iOS devices cannot connect. Thanks.

#50 xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

oops, sorry. I meant to edit this, but instead I double posted. Sorry...

#51 xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:35 AM

Hello Plex world. I hope you can help.

I had Plex running on Ubuntu 10.04 and the install setup was relatively painless. Watching videos on my LG TV was great. A week ago I did a clean disk install on the same machine to 11.04. Its up and running without problems. Tonight I tried installing plex and that went well. I did not install Avahi. To simply run the server on Ubuntu and access it from my LG TV I do not need it, right?

Here are my problems:
1) When I try to add my path to videos "/home/mypc/Videos/TV" using the http://localhost:324...nage/index.html interface, it will not let me browse deeper than the "mypc" folder. As a result, I must manually type paths. Not a big deal, but not clean.

2) If I manually add the path for TV it finds nothing. The structure is the same as what was working with the 10.04 Ubuntu setup.

3) If I manually add the path for Movies it finds the movies and adds images to the files. When I go to the TV to view them, it "cannot play media" even though it can find the files.

I'm using an Intel-Atom-D510MO with 2Gb of ram, if that matters (I'm new at this).

I'm having the same exact issue, using Ubuntu 11.10 64bit. I don't know what to do. ;(

However, when I go to manually type the location. It throws a error. :S "Unable to create library section" 500 internal server error

#52 prem1er

prem1er

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

This may be a permission issue. Let me double check that you did an upgrade of your Ubuntu installation from 10.04 to 11.04 and then from there you tried to reinstall Plex? Or, you did a fresh install of Ubuntu and then did a fresh install of Plex? In a terminal navigate to the '/home/mypc/Videos/' and type,

ls -lrt

Paste the output of this command.

Primary PMS: Ubuntu 12.04, AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5Ghz, 8GB ram

Storage: 3TB WD

Mobile Client: 1 x Samsung Galaxy S4, 1 x HTC One, 1 x ASUS TF101

Other Client: Roku 3

#53 xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

This may be a permission issue. Let me double check that you did an upgrade of your Ubuntu installation from 10.04 to 11.04 and then from there you tried to reinstall Plex? Or, you did a fresh install of Ubuntu and then did a fresh install of Plex? In a terminal navigate to the '/home/mypc/Videos/' and type,

ls -lrt

Paste the output of this command.

That command just lists what I have. However its a fresh install of 11.10. Also I managed to get them to add by playing around with permissions. However, It will only play /media/Videos/TV Shows/. Not /media/Videos/Movies/. When trying to play them via Apple TV Plex, a error occurs. I also tried via Firecore Media App on Apple TV, same result. I'm guessing its more permissions errors? ;(

#54 prem1er

prem1er

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

That command just lists what I have. However its a fresh install of 11.10. Also I managed to get them to add by playing around with permissions. However, It will only play /media/Videos/TV Shows/. Not /media/Videos/Movies/. When trying to play them via Apple TV Plex, a error occurs. I also tried via Firecore Media App on Apple TV, same result. I'm guessing its more permissions errors? ;(

The output of this command will show ownership/rights of the the files within your directory, that's why I wanted to see it. Plex creates a user on the machine, but if the plex user doesn't have access to the files you won't be able to play them. So, run that command in whatever directory you are having issues with and we can see if there is something going on with the permissions.

#55 xzKinGzxBuRnzx

xzKinGzxBuRnzx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:35 AM

The output of this command will show ownership/rights of the the files within your directory, that's why I wanted to see it. Plex creates a user on the machine, but if the plex user doesn't have access to the files you won't be able to play them. So, run that command in whatever directory you are having issues with and we can see if there is something going on with the permissions.

Heres what I have then...

xzkingzxburnzx@Ubuntu-Desktop:~$ cd /media/Videos
xzkingzxburnzx@Ubuntu-Desktop:/media/Videos$ ls -lrt
total 8
drwxrwxr-x 2 xzkingzxburnzx xzkingzxburnzx 4096 2011-11-18 19:22 Movies
drwxrwxr-x 2 xzkingzxburnzx xzkingzxburnzx 4096 2011-11-18 19:22 TV Shows
xzkingzxburnzx@Ubuntu-Desktop:/media/Videos$

Can I not simply edit a file to run plex as another user?

#56 dastrix

dastrix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

i seem to be having huge problems with pms at startup, i have tried running the following :

6 3000 /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::filesystem3::filesystem_error'
what(): boost::filesystem::create_directory: Permission denied: "/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library"
Aborted

these are the results i am getting, what do i need to set the permissions too?

Thanks

#57 prem1er

prem1er

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Heres what I have then...

xzkingzxburnzx@Ubuntu-Desktop:~$ cd /media/Videos
xzkingzxburnzx@Ubuntu-Desktop:/media/Videos$ ls -lrt
total 8
drwxrwxr-x 2 xzkingzxburnzx xzkingzxburnzx 4096 2011-11-18 19:22 Movies
drwxrwxr-x 2 xzkingzxburnzx xzkingzxburnzx 4096 2011-11-18 19:22 TV Shows
xzkingzxburnzx@Ubuntu-Desktop:/media/Videos$

Can I not simply edit a file to run plex as another user?

These permissions look ok in order for Plex to see the directories. Can you provide the following. In a terminal run the following command to see check the user plex.

group plex

#58 puithove

puithove

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:54 PM

i seem to be having huge problems with pms at startup, i have tried running the following :

6 3000 /var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::filesystem3::filesystem_error'
what(): boost::filesystem::create_directory: Permission denied: "/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library"
Aborted

these are the results i am getting, what do i need to set the permissions too?

Thanks

Have you been unsuccessful in getting PMS to run since first installing it or did it run previously and something broke? Just curious on this point really.

From the error you show, it looks like the /var/lib/plexmediaserver directory was created, but the permissions were not set correctly. I say this because it looks like it's failing when trying to create the Library directory under there. You can verify this from the command prompt by executing this:
ls -l /var/lib|grep plex

If the directory wasn't there, you'd get nothing in return. If it is there, you should see the listing and it'll tell you the permissions and the owner on the directory like this for example:

drwxr-xr-x 12 plex      nogroup 4096 2011-11-23 07:05 plexmediaserver

Here you can see that my directory is owned by user: plex and group: nogroup and the permissions are rwxr-xr-x - something on yours is different and should be corrected (probably the owners I'd guess).

To correct ownership do this:
sudo chown plex:nogroup /var/lib/plexmediaserver/

To correct permissions do this:
sudo chmod 755 /var/lib/plexmediaserver/

That should allow the PMS running as user plex to have access to create directories/files to build out the library. If' not, there's more we can look at. There might be the case where it did create the library at that location and we need to correct the permissions on all the files/folders.

#59 dusts

dusts

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:04 AM

I'm currently running Plex on my Apple TV 2G and the Plex Media Server on Ubuntu 11.10.

Everything shows up correctly after I added directories, but when I try to play a video it gives me "An error occurred loading this content".

I'm guessing this has something to do while it tries to transcode the video, since everything else worked fine.

Other than the web interface is there any other way to configure Plex.

Any help would be much appreciated.

#60 dastrix

dastrix

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

I have done what you suggested but after a reboot i am still coming back to a blank library in plex results below for my ownership etc

drwxr-xr-x 3 plex nogroup 4096 2011-11-23 16:23 plexmediaserver

please help

Have you been unsuccessful in getting PMS to run since first installing it or did it run previously and something broke? Just curious on this point really.

From the error you show, it looks like the /var/lib/plexmediaserver directory was created, but the permissions were not set correctly. I say this because it looks like it's failing when trying to create the Library directory under there. You can verify this from the command prompt by executing this:

ls -l /var/lib|grep plex

If the directory wasn't there, you'd get nothing in return. If it is there, you should see the listing and it'll tell you the permissions and the owner on the directory like this for example:

drwxr-xr-x 12 plex      nogroup 4096 2011-11-23 07:05 plexmediaserver

Here you can see that my directory is owned by user: plex and group: nogroup and the permissions are rwxr-xr-x - something on yours is different and should be corrected (probably the owners I'd guess).

To correct ownership do this:
sudo chown plex:nogroup /var/lib/plexmediaserver/

To correct permissions do this:
sudo chmod 755 /var/lib/plexmediaserver/

That should allow the PMS running as user plex to have access to create directories/files to build out the library. If' not, there's more we can look at. There might be the case where it did create the library at that location and we need to correct the permissions on all the files/folders.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users