2229 replies to this topic

#2081 dlanor

dlanor

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

I just changed to the Amber skin, just in case. While it looks great, it still does not connect. The status goes to "LOADING..." and then the fail dialog box "Server is Offline or Not Responding".

PleXBMC version 3.2.2

That's an obsolete version of PlexBMC, not up-to-date with current PMS standards.

I recommend that you use the newer version 3.4.3, modified by pecinko and others, and that you combine this with one of the newer versions of the Plex-adapted Amber skin (also by pecinko), such as 1.3.1/1.3.2 (for XBMC(Frodo)) or 1.5.7/1.5.8 (for XBMC(Gotham)).

I use such setups myself with both Frodo and Gotham versions of XBMC and these work fine for me.
I can't say for sure what IP addresses are used for their accesses though, as I've never had any reason to look into such logs.

Best regards: dlanor

#2082 finagle69

finagle69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:06 AM

Does the combo of PlexBMC and Amber (both frodo from Pecinko's github) allow for the typical overlay of On Deck & Recently Added on the home screen as you scroll across?  I've turned on the settings for that (I think) in the PlexBMC Settings under Skin Home Shelf.  Doesn't seem to matter, my screen is empty above the main bar, with links to items beneath the bar.

#2083 dlanor

dlanor

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Does the combo of PlexBMC and Amber (both frodo from Pecinko's github) allow for the typical overlay of On Deck & Recently Added on the home screen as you scroll across?  I've turned on the settings for that (I think) in the PlexBMC Settings under Skin Home Shelf.  Doesn't seem to matter, my screen is empty above the main bar, with links to items beneath the bar.

For me both 'Recently Added' and 'On Deck' posters are displayed correctly.
With horizontal main menu I have both those rows of 8 posters each displayed above the main menu bar.
With vertical main menu I have both those rows of 6 posters each displayed to the right of the menu, vertically centered.
This works identically in Frodo with Amber 1.3.1 or 1.3.2 and in Gotham with Amber 1.5.8
(All of this tested a few minutes ago using XBMC on 3 different platforms)

In the "SKIN HOME SHELF" menu you must not only enable the shelf usage for each section type, but also choose what you want the shelves to show (OFF, Recent, OnDeck, Both). And don't forget to use the "OK" command after changing any of these settings, as they will otherwise be lost when you go back to the main menu by other means.

• finagle69 likes this

#2084 finagle69

finagle69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

For me both 'Recently Added' and 'On Deck' posters are displayed correctly.
With horizontal main menu I have both those rows of 8 posters each displayed above the main menu bar.
With vertical main menu I have both those rows of 6 posters each displayed to the right of the menu, vertically centered.
This works identically in Frodo with Amber 1.3.1 or 1.3.2 and in Gotham with Amber 1.5.8
(All of this tested a few minutes ago using XBMC on 3 different platforms)

In the "SKIN HOME SHELF" menu you must not only enable the shelf usage for each section type, but also choose what you want the shelves to show (OFF, Recent, OnDeck, Both). And don't forget to use the "OK" command after changing any of these settings, as they will otherwise be lost when you go back to the main menu by other means.

Thanks.  I actually had that area correctly setup.  The thing that was stopping me was in the Amber settings "Enable Home Shelf".  For some reason, I assumed that only applied to XBMC libraries, but it applies to both.

My next question.  Is there a way to have the Amber skin rotate fanarts for particular Plex sections as a slideshow?  Currently I use an XBMC addon called 'Artwork Organizer' which pulls fanarts from the XBMC library and dumps them to folders.  The problem is that XBMC lumps all Movie sources and TV sources together respectively.  I have Movies and Kids Movies in Plex, and want the fanarts separated.  I do this manually now using the referenced addon.  If the Amber skin could perform a pull of Plex fanarts directly, I could actually fully delete the XBMC library as it would be unnecessary to have.

#2085 dlanor

dlanor

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

I've never even tried to investigate how fanart is selected for slideshows in Amber or other skins, so I'm afraid someone else will have to help you with that stuff.

#2086 samuelverner

samuelverner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:59 PM

Hi Guys,

probably someone has a solution or idea for my problem:
PMS (0.9.9.6.) is integrated in XBMC (Frodo) over PLEXMBC (3.4.3) plus the HELPER (3.1.3).

Remote Playback/Cast over PLEX/WEB works perfect, when i use the PLEX iOS app for Remote Playback:
I'm connected to XBMC, i can start a movie and the plex app tells me its connected and playing, but
nothing happens on the other side, means no movie is starting on XBMC.
Any idea why it works perfect with the plex/web, but not with the plex app on iOS?

Thanks and enjoy your day,
samuel

#2087 samuelverner

samuelverner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:38 PM

Dumb me!
After searching for a solution myself b4 posting in here, i found nothing.
The minute after i posted my need for help, i found out about wickning1's
fork of the Helper. Thanks wickning1 for it! Though i can't start remote playback
over the plex/web to my xbmc now with your version of the helper, i can use
the plex iOS app again to control my xbmc!
thanks

#2088 zeflash

zeflash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Hi, I've updated to gotham beta 1 on my raspberry pi, and therefore I've also tried to update plexbmc & amber along with it to:

plexbmc 3.4.3 (taken off the amber git branch of pecinko)

amber 1.5.8 (taken off the master git branch of pecinko)

I've also update my plex media center to the latest version (9.9.5.411).

The script is always failing now; in the log I see this all the time:

0:21:23 T:2799694928   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
                                            Error Contents: 'NoneType' object is not callable
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.plexbmc/default.py", line 5224, in <module>
                                                amberskin()
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.plexbmc/default.py", line 3768, in amberskin
                                                server_list = discoverAllServers()
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.plexbmc/default.py", line 307, in discoverAllServers
                                                local_server = getLocalServers(das_host, das_port)
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.plexbmc/default.py", line 407, in getLocalServers
                                                server=etree.fromstring(html)
                                              File "<string>", line 123, in XML
                                            TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

Plexbmc is configured to look for my plex server locally on 10.0.0.100 - I don't understand what the problem is. 

#2089 jdbrookes

jdbrookes

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hi, I've updated to gotham beta 1 on my raspberry pi, and therefore I've also tried to update plexbmc & amber along with it to:

plexbmc 3.4.3 (taken off the amber git branch of pecinko)

amber 1.5.8 (taken off the master git branch of pecinko)

I've also update my plex media center to the latest version (9.9.5.411).

The script is always failing now; in the log I see this all the time:

0:21:23 T:2799694928   ERROR: EXCEPTION Thrown (PythonToCppException) : -->Python callback/script returned the following error<--
                                             - NOTE: IGNORING THIS CAN LEAD TO MEMORY LEAKS!
                                            Error Type: <type 'exceptions.TypeError'>
                                            Error Contents: 'NoneType' object is not callable
                                            Traceback (most recent call last):
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.plexbmc/default.py", line 5224, in <module>
                                                amberskin()
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.plexbmc/default.py", line 3768, in amberskin
                                                server_list = discoverAllServers()
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.plexbmc/default.py", line 307, in discoverAllServers
                                                local_server = getLocalServers(das_host, das_port)
                                              File "/storage/.xbmc/addons/plugin.video.plexbmc/default.py", line 407, in getLocalServers
                                                server=etree.fromstring(html)
                                              File "<string>", line 123, in XML
                                            TypeError: 'NoneType' object is not callable
                                            -->End of Python script error report<--

Plexbmc is configured to look for my plex server locally on 10.0.0.100 - I don't understand what the problem is. 

Are you logged in to myplex in Plexbmc? try logging out (deleting credentials from settings) and restarting XBMC.

I've had Plexbmc failing since a few weeks ago when I started to use Cloudsync - I think it's breaking myplex functionality in Plexbmc. Had been working fine literally hours before I setup the cloudsync.

#2090 pecinko

pecinko

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

Celementtree - one of the python libraries plexbmc is using - is failing from time to time for no obvious reason. It seems that problem is related to XBMC Gotham and Frodo 12.3.

In short, I have no means of fixing it and it seems that problem can't be easily fixed by xbmc devs either.

It does not happen with plain element tree but that library is several times slower and using it would hit library loading performance badly.
My skins:

Quartz

#2091 zeflash

zeflash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

Ah! but it was working previously on Frodo, so it means the plexbmc code changed from frodo to gotham to use that new library?

Anything I can try in the code it see why it does that? I can try to log the XML to see what happens on line 123, file "<string>" (like that helps ;) )

#2092 pecinko

pecinko

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

Ah! but it was working previously on Frodo, so it means the plexbmc code changed from frodo to gotham to use that new library?

Anything I can try in the code it see why it does that? I can try to log the XML to see what happens on line 123, file "<string>" (like that helps ;) )

No. Problem is in XBMC. Same plexbmc code runs well on my htpc while it fails SOMETIMES on my macbook. Same config, same server, same local network.

Oh, and use PleXBMC from here http://forum.xbmc.or....php?tid=175995 , rather than from Git.

Open up default.py and change lines 50-58 from:

try:
    # Python 2.5
    import xml.etree.cElementTree as etree
    print("PleXBMC -> Running with cElementTree on Python 2.5+")
except ImportError:
    try:
        # normal cElementTree install
        import cElementTree as etree
        print("PleXBMC -> Running with built-in cElementTree")

to this:

try:
    # Python 2.5
    import xml.etree.ElementTree as etree
    print("PleXBMC -> Running with cElementTree on Python 2.5+")
except ImportError:
    try:
        # normal cElementTree install
        import ElementTree as etree
        print("PleXBMC -> Running with built-in cElementTree")

That will make plexbmc run with ElementTree instead of cElementTree and you should not see any errors anymore.

My skins:

Quartz

#2093 CrystalGipsy

CrystalGipsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

Having used XBMC for years via Openelec, I had Just switched over to using Plex due to the better library system and web app for out of home use. I started using it at home via the Samsung App on my Bluray, but I have already tired of its limitations due to Cinavia and it not playing all files properly. So I decided to go back to my dedicated HTPC's running XBMC Openelec and found this plugin. Currently running on Gotham Beta 1 with latest Amber skin and I am impressed. Works very well and looks great. You get all the best bits of XBMC and Plex in one neat package.  One thing however and I think it has been mentioned here a few times, I cant seem to be able to push to my players using the Andriod App or Web app. It sees the machines and the remote functionality will work but it wont push media to display on it, any ideas?

#2094 CrystalGipsy

CrystalGipsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

Bump any more info on this at all? I am running the latest XBMC, Plexbmc and plexbmc helper. Would really like this to work.

Having used XBMC for years via Openelec, I had Just switched over to using Plex due to the better library system and web app for out of home use. I started using it at home via the Samsung App on my Bluray, but I have already tired of its limitations due to Cinavia and it not playing all files properly. So I decided to go back to my dedicated HTPC's running XBMC Openelec and found this plugin. Currently running on Gotham Beta 1 with latest Amber skin and I am impressed. Works very well and looks great. You get all the best bits of XBMC and Plex in one neat package.  One thing however and I think it has been mentioned here a few times, I cant seem to be able to push to my players using the Andriod App or Web app. It sees the machines and the remote functionality will work but it wont push media to display on it, any ideas?

#2095 jdbrookes

jdbrookes

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Bump any more info on this at all? I am running the latest XBMC, Plexbmc and plexbmc helper. Would really like this to work.

There's a bit of a lack of active developers for Plexbmc and plexbmc helper at the moment I'm afraid!

Plexbmc helper was last updated just before the new Plex/Web 2.x release and for whatever reason the Players functionality doesn't work. It does work with Pex/Web 1.x though.

Plexbmc is mostly feature complete, except for some reason I can no longer logon to myPlex without causing errors, I think it might be to do with Cloudsync which I recently setup. The one big missing feature in my opinion is Now Playing support. This is where anything being played with Plexbmc shows up in Plex/Web and also in Plexwatch. I can't let any of my remote users use Plexbmc because I can't easily tell if anyone is watching anything for server updates / reboots and the like.

Any further development of either of these plugins really depends on someone with the knowledge and the time picking up on them. Which would be great because as I've said before Plexbmc is a very important plugin as it works on any platform that runs XBMC, and there are a LOT of those out there.

#2096 CrystalGipsy

CrystalGipsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

I agree it just needs a little tlc to be the perfect accompaniment to plex and xbmc. Not that its not far off already, wol for player would be the icing on the cake. As I have to use yatze for that, then switch to bubble upnp for remote playing and back to yatze to control xbmc. Hopefully somebody will pick up the mantel soon and in can just use the pled app for everything. Here's hoping.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

#2097 finagle69

finagle69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:07 PM

I actually prefer the yatse app for my phone. Shows more info plus the yatse plugins for SMS, email, pausing calls all work very well. I only use the plex app on my phone for remote viewing of media.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

#2098 tomer1749

tomer1749

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

So i have a weird bug. I am using Ace skin with plexbmc. I created shortcuts so it'll be really good. On one of the myplex sections shared with me i have shortcut too, when i go into it i get:

plexbmc:server is offline or not responding

but when going into it from plexbmc through the menus it's online and all good.

It worked great before. what happened?

I updated to last Plexbmc and still having this problem. It's hapenning with all myplex shotrcuts of things shared with me. Local stuff is good. I CAN ACCESS ALL MYPLEX STUFF WHEN GOING TO PLEXBMC NORMALLY AND NOT FROM FAVOURITE I PUTTED IN THE MAIN MENU ..

Update:For some sections i get authntication require or incorrect

SmileyHoldingIsraelFlag.gif
iMac 2011 with PMS&XBMC with PleXBMC, PleXBMC Helper and Amber.
Hackintosh with PMS & PlexConnect
iPad 3 white with Plex.
iPhone 5 black with Plex.
2 Apple TV 3 with PlexConnect.
If you have a live converts&Music section, share it with me on MyPlex (tomer1749) and i'll share my back :) (No movies and TV shows cause i want hebrew subtitle, which you don't have :) )

all-thin-fanart@2x.jpg

#2099 tomer1749

tomer1749

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:21 AM

So looks like putting what i want as a favourite again and putting it in the main menu fixed my problem for the specific button. But it's not possible to just do it all every X days .. There is a serious bug here :(

Or maybe someone can make ace for plexbmc?

iPad 3 white with Plex.
If you have a live converts&Music section, share it with me on MyPlex (tomer1749) and i'll share my back :) (No movies and TV shows cause i want hebrew subtitle, which you don't have :) )

all-thin-fanart@2x.jpg

#2100 tomer1749

tomer1749

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

So looks like the servers address is changing every X time and that's why i can't access my stuff via the favourite and have to go through the whole menu/add favourite and add it to the skin again.

That's what i think because adding the same favourite again doesn't help the problem, only adding favourite again works ...

There's got to be a solution for this. Something that have to do something with refreshing? Or someone that can take the skin stuff to his hands and make some skins for plexbmc. Old ones doesn't really work and there are much better skins now ..

update-SAME for XBMC 12.3 and 13

EVEN WHEN PUTTING THE PLEXBMC addon on main menu i can't access it before i access it the normal way via video addons. Something that have to do with work on background i guess? (In the Plexbmc on main menu cause, not myplex section doesn't work case)

iPad 3 white with Plex.

all-thin-fanart@2x.jpg