2347 replies to this topic

#2341 dlanor

dlanor

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1786 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

I'm having a problem with accessing subtitles for certain films. It appears to be an issue with those that have accented characters in the file names.

For example, for the short film Getürkt (1996), the mkv is named Getürkt (1996).mkv and the subtitles file is named Getürkt (1996).mkv. When I play the film in Kodi/PleXBMC, there are no subtitles to switch to. If I right-click, however, on the film's menu entry, I am able to select the subtitles through the context menu but they do not appear when playing.

As a test, I renamed the files to remove the umlaut and the subtitles appeared fine and were selectable.

Plex itself has no issue in accessing these films and subtitles as I can get them to display without issue through the browser and through the iOS app, so it looks like either Kodi or PleXBMC is to blame.

I don't have any titles using the ü or Ü characters, but I do have some titles that use Swedish regional characters of similar kind, such as the TV show "Ärliga Blå ögon" and these work fine with Kodi-Helix, using one of the recent PlexBMC versions by hippojay. I just tested it a moment ago, to confirm that these subtitles show properly using this PlexBMC setup. The file names used in this test were "Ärliga Blå Ögon s01e01.avi" and "Ärliga Blå Ögon s01e01.sv.srt". Note that the substring ".sv" in the subtitle filename is optional. It's used only to inform Plex that the subtitle is Swedish, but without that substring the subtitle would still be used, though it would be displayed as "Unknown" language in the GUI, rather than the proper "Svenska". The regional filenames were also used in the show folder name, this being "Ärliga Blå Ögon (1977)". So use of these umlaut characters did not ruin the results for me, like it apparently did for you.

Perhaps your results are somehow caused by some incorrect or missing configuration setting related to regional character use.

For example, In the Kodi submenu 'Settings' > 'Appearance' > 'International', I have the following settings which may have some influence on this:

"Region" is set to "Central Europe" (not quite true, but Northern Europe is not available as a choice, and Central Europe does match the timezone)

"Character Set" is set to "Western Europe (Windows)" (This is the setting I think most likely to have such an influence.)

"'Keyboard Layouts" is set to "Swedish QWERTY"

Best regards: dlanor

#2342 TMDaines

TMDaines

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:03 PM

I don't have any titles using the ü or Ü characters, but I do have some titles that use Swedish regional characters of similar kind, such as the TV show "Ärliga Blå ögon" and these work fine with Kodi-Helix, using one of the recent PlexBMC versions by hippojay. I just tested it a moment ago, to confirm that these subtitles show properly using this PlexBMC setup. The file names used in this test were "Ärliga Blå Ögon s01e01.avi" and "Ärliga Blå Ögon s01e01.sv.srt". Note that the substring ".sv" in the subtitle filename is optional. It's used only to inform Plex that the subtitle is Swedish, but without that substring the subtitle would still be used, though it would be displayed as "Unknown" language in the GUI, rather than the proper "Svenska". The regional filenames were also used in the show folder name, this being "Ärliga Blå Ögon (1977)". So use of these umlaut characters did not ruin the results for me, like it apparently did for you.

Perhaps your results are somehow caused by some incorrect or missing configuration setting related to regional character use.

For example, In the Kodi submenu 'Settings' > 'Appearance' > 'International', I have the following settings which may have some influence on this:

"Region" is set to "Central Europe" (not quite true, but Northern Europe is not available as a choice, and Central Europe does match the timezone)

"Character Set" is set to "Western Europe (Windows)" (This is the setting I think most likely to have such an influence.)

"'Keyboard Layouts" is set to "Swedish QWERTY"

Best regards: dlanor

Thanks for the suggestions but they don't make a difference.

I'm pretty sure it must be PleXBMC settings that are at fault, because the subtitles appear fine when accessing Plex through browsers or the iOS app, or when I add the video library to Kodi directly and play the media through Kodi.

FYI, this appears to be reproducible with a number of foreign characters as, for example, subtitles are also not found for Una pura formalità (1995).avi, when Una pura formalità (1995).eng.srt is sitting right next to it. Again this is only happening with PleXBMC.

Here are some screenshots that might help: http://imgur.com/a/Uh7ik. The first shows LOCAL SUBTITLE AVAILABLE for a film without foreign characters in its title/file name. The second (for Getürkt) shows the file name as 'file.mkv', which isn't how it is named, and does not detect local subtitles. Again this happens with other films with foreign characters in the title.

My setup is an HTPC running both Kodi and Plex Media Server on the same machine, All files are stored on an external hard-drive attached via USB. I'm on Kodi 14.2 and PleXBMC 3.4.6 Beta 3.

#2343 craggles

craggles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:11 PM

In reply to my previous post,I am now using 3.6.1 and also tried 4.0 beta 2,,I can get them to connect to my sinology PMS if I use manual settings.

But I have a problem, BUFFERING,, it buffers a lot using plexbmc,,I changed the setting to http from auto and I still get this.

Streaming straight to kodi works perfect from my synology NAS, but this buffering with plexbmc is pecking my head.

Plex on my nowTV from the same server also runs perfect.

Any ideas what's causing this??

Just to add im using the amazon fire tv stick

#2344 Martin

Martin

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for working on this again hippojay :)

I'm using the Kodi skin 'Arctic: Zephyr' (without modifications) and it works great so far.

I can even see On Deck, Recently Added, etc. on the home menu using Widgets and Favourites.

It's really nice to be able to use Kodi, and native skins, with Plex as a backend.

/Martin

#2345 Silvaire

Silvaire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for working on this again hippojay :)

I'm using the Kodi skin 'Arctic: Zephyr' (without modifications) and it works great so far.

I can even see On Deck, Recently Added, etc. on the home menu using Widgets and Favourites.

It's really nice to be able to use Kodi, and native skins, with Plex as a backend.

Hey Martin,

I actually used to use Artic before I switched to Amber to use PlexBMC so I tried out the new Artic and think it's great.  I got most of PlexBMC functioning but I can't figure out how to use widgets for Movies and TV from Plex -- can you give some pointers?  Thanks!

#2346 Martin

Martin

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:53 PM

Hey Martin,

I actually used to use Artic before I switched to Amber to use PlexBMC so I tried out the new Artic and think it's great.  I got most of PlexBMC functioning but I can't figure out how to use widgets for Movies and TV from Plex -- can you give some pointers?  Thanks!

Hey :)

Sure; browse to the relevant Plex library section (ie. On Deck TV Shows). Press left or right arrow, so the pop-up menu appears, and choose 'Set custom widget path'.

Go to Arctic: Zephyr skin settings and 'Customize home menu' > 'select Widget' and set it to your chosen Widget (ie. 'Custom 1').

That way, when I hover over "TV Shows" in the main menu, the 'shelf/widget' shows my On Deck TV Shows from Plex.

/Martin

#2347 Silvaire

Silvaire

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 03:58 PM

I will check that out.  Also, is there any way to show multiple widgets?  Basically, I like to have my "on deck" showing for TV and Movies, but also "recent" as well?  I could do this in Amber, but not sure this is supported on new Arctic.  However, I think it was supported on old Arctic.

EDIT: Taking to PM to not clutter thread.

#2348 gdachs

gdachs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted Today, 04:09 PM

EDIT: Taking to PM to not clutter thread.

Why? Just start a new thread. It is interesting to read.

I am using plexbmc currently with amber only and would like to know which other skins I could use.

Gerald