• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 envious86

envious86

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

Hi, I got a 3d TV and I was wondering if plex supports 3d movies? I am using iMac and/or apple tv and i can watch the movies side by side but not 3d. any ideas?

#2 JoToFoSho

JoToFoSho

Plex Star

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2882 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:00 PM

Here's a thread discussing 3D capabilities of plex. http://forums.plexap...027-3d-support/
You basically need half-sbs files and have to manually enable side by side mode on your tv from what I can tell. No reports of this working on ATV, but if ffmpeg can transcode the sbs file right then it should work. I don't think 3D support is a high priority for apple devs, ffmpeg devs or plex devs so I don't think there'll be direct support for this anytime soon. :/
~John T.

New here? Read the wiki and watch the screencast! You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration! :) If that didn't help, posting log files can help us track down your issue.

#3 jamesbull

jamesbull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:40 AM

Just wanted to throw in my experiences.

Just setup a new LG 55LW6500 Passive 3D TV, and the thing is gorgeous. I immediately downloaded a few Half-SBS rips thinking I could stream them to my new TV using Plex on my AppleTV.

Turns out, it works PERFECTLY. Running ATV 8.0.1 and PMS 0.9.3.4 running on an iMac i7 w/ 8GB RAM. The TV is manually set to side-by-side 3D and she's running sweet.

ATV viewing settings are at 4.0GB 720P and the decreased resolution causes a little bit of eye strain, am going to test the 10GB 1080P next.

Will also test using the built-in LG media-link PLEX client.

#4 NEI

NEI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

Just wanted to throw in my experiences.

Just setup a new LG 55LW6500 Passive 3D TV, and the thing is gorgeous. I immediately downloaded a few Half-SBS rips thinking I could stream them to my new TV using Plex on my AppleTV.

Turns out, it works PERFECTLY. Running ATV 8.0.1 and PMS 0.9.3.4 running on an iMac i7 w/ 8GB RAM. The TV is manually set to side-by-side 3D and she's running sweet.

ATV viewing settings are at 4.0GB 720P and the decreased resolution causes a little bit of eye strain, am going to test the 10GB 1080P next.

Will also test using the built-in LG media-link PLEX client.

Sorry to re-enable this thread. But what are your findings with the newest ATV Plex client. Still working? I am thinking about getting a 3D projector. But have to be sure this is working with ATV2 Plex client.
Thanks!

#5 NEI

NEI

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:28 PM

Sorry to re-enable this thread. But what are your findings with the newest ATV Plex client. Still working? I am thinking about getting a 3D projector. But have to be sure this is working with ATV2 Plex client.
Thanks!

FYI: Bought an Acer H5360BD projector. 3D with Side-By-Side content is working flawlessly on AppleTV with Plex. The projectors 3D picture is also damned good. I think it's better as in the cinema. At least the last time I went to a 3D movie here...

#6 local.bin

local.bin

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

Is it possible to identify a movie as 3D to plex, you can see its 3D in the list?

Xperia Z Ultra (4.2.2)

Xperia Tablet Z (4.2.2)

Sony GS7 x 2 (Firmware 3.2)

Galaxy Tab 7.7 3G (4.1.2)

Synology 1512+

Unraid (5.x)

#7 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8660 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:07 AM

Is it possible to identify a movie as 3D to plex, you can see its 3D in the list?

Whether something is "3D" or not isn't metadata that Plex records. In fact, that sort of metadata doesn't currently even exist. If such a feature were added it could presumably be accomplished in a couple of ways:

1. Analyze the resolution of the video. If it's a "double wide" or "double high" resolution compared to a standard resolution then it might be 3D. (Since 3D files typically work by putting the two frames for each eye either side-by-side or top/bottom.) There are numerous issues with this approach, though, which make it almost useless:

- While this might work for a Full-SBS (side-by-side) video, it wouldn't work for a Half-SBS video since that puts both "eye" frames side by side within the space of the normal target resolution. Half-SBS is a common format for 3D files.

- Similarly, it wouldn't work for a lot of top/bottom files since they can also squeeze the two frames down into the normal resolution.

- A lot of content isn't exactly 16:9 ratio, so it might not be based on a 1920x1080, 1280x720, or similar resolution. There's also 2.35:1, 1.85:1, and other resolutions. It wouldn't be feasible to check all the resolutions for "3D versions" and guarantee that regular 2D content might not also get incorrectly flagged.

- See this thread for some info on 3D file formats.

2. Require the user to manually flag the file via the filename. So, for instance, require a 3D version to be named "Avatar (2009) - 3D.mkv". A lot of users don't follow the Naming Guide currently as it is, so I'm not sure how well requiring that sort of naming convention would work.

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#8 local.bin

local.bin

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

2. Require the user to manually flag the file via the filename. So, for instance, require a 3D version to be named "Avatar (2009) - 3D.mkv". A lot of users don't follow the Naming Guide currently as it is, so I'm not sure how well requiring that sort of naming convention would work.

Thanks for the detailed response :)

I was only thinking of your option 2 for the moment, using the files metadata or filename.

But not sure if mkv's and the like can be tagged in that way, so I guess parsing the filename would be the easiest?

Its frustrating hitting play, waiting for buffer etc, only to find its 3D and that TV is not 3D :-/

Xperia Z Ultra (4.2.2)

Xperia Tablet Z (4.2.2)

Synology 1512+

Unraid (5.x)

#9 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8660 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:55 AM

Its frustrating hitting play, waiting for buffer etc, only to find its 3D and that TV is not 3D :-/

Well, you can always edit the metadata for those library items and add "(3D)" to the title or something. =)

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#10 local.bin

local.bin

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Well, you can always edit the metadata for those library items and add "(3D)" to the title or something. =)

Oh ok, thanks!

Will they get overwritten at any stage? on a update for example?

Xperia Z Ultra (4.2.2)

Xperia Tablet Z (4.2.2)

Synology 1512+

Unraid (5.x)

#11 adriandb

adriandb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

I use option 2 and Plex then thinks there are two versions of the same movie. I then go into PMS and split the pair up, changing the metadata of the 3D version appending 3D to the title. Works great.

2012 Mac Mini - 2.5GHz dual-core i5 - 8gb RAM - Mac OS 10.8 | Sans Digital TowerRAID TR5UT+B RAID 5 (5 x 3TB) | Onkyo TX-SR608 | LG 55" LED LCD (55LW5600)

#12 local.bin

local.bin

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

I use option 2 and Plex then thinks there are two versions of the same movie. I then go into PMS and split the pair up, changing the metadata of the 3D version appending 3D to the title. Works great.

Great thanks, will give it a try.

Is the metadata easy to navigate for each film; not tried....

Xperia Z Ultra (4.2.2)

Xperia Tablet Z (4.2.2)

Synology 1512+

Unraid (5.x)

#13 adriandb

adriandb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:06 AM

Great thanks, will give it a try.

Is the metadata easy to navigate for each film; not tried....

Yes, you access it via the PMS.

2012 Mac Mini - 2.5GHz dual-core i5 - 8gb RAM - Mac OS 10.8 | Sans Digital TowerRAID TR5UT+B RAID 5 (5 x 3TB) | Onkyo TX-SR608 | LG 55" LED LCD (55LW5600)

#14 LinPlex

LinPlex

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

Plex is the kind of innovative software that should have a 3D feature. So, I need to manually switch my TV to 3D mode to handle it. Plex should switch to 3D mode to support it.

Plex: According to our information, you are using a Samsung TV and you have previously entered the type. Here is the community provided information on how to enable 3D (loaded from the wiki):

*** Note: From this point, Plex will use a 3D interface compatible with your TV. Please turn on your glasses and follow the on screen instructions to continue. ***

Just my two cents.

#15 BerndF

BerndF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Just a quick feature suggestion perhaps.

Im currently getting into 3D and stumble across all those different formats: Full/Half-SBS, Full/Half-OU, Left/Right versions, some of them cropped, some of them not. Its quite a mess, but from my sources it seems OU is currently the most demanded. Anyway if we have the possibility to save the 3D format of the movie in the Metadata at some point(at least manual) i would wish for the following.

Id like to be able to switch 3D on or off, so you dont have to have a different version for 3D and not 3D-compatible devices. I think it should'nt be that difficult to just crop and stretch picture as long as you know the 3D format, cropped or not and the aspect ratio. Just a prompt if you want the movie to be played in 3D or not at the beginning of the movie, or a setting in the client properties.

PS.:
Currently i prefer the Left/Right versions because you just start only the left mkv and have a full HD movie, but if i want to watch it in 3D have to use the Stereoscopic Player where i can choose the 3D mode that fits the TV the most.

#16 digiot

digiot

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

My only gripe I have with 3D content in Plex is that while in 3D-mode the Menu options are unusable! This happens with both Full-SBS and Half-SBS, never tried any other formats.

2011 MacMini Base Model 8G RAM OSXServer 10.9/PlexPMS/PlexHomeTheatre
OWC 4-Bay RAID 12TB (connected with eSATA!)
Sony Bravia KDL46NX720 (DNLA-Plex)
Sony PS3 (DNLA-Plex)
2011 15"MBPro, 2009 27" iMac i7,2006 15"MBP C2D
iPhone3GS,iPhone4,iPhone4S,iPhone5
iPad 16G (old), iPad 32G LTE(new)
ATV2 (Plex)
ATV3 (PlexConnect!)

Raspberry-Pi ModelB 512 (RasPlex)

Roku 2XS

#17 adriandb

adriandb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

My only gripe I have with 3D content in Plex is that while in 3D-mode the Menu options are unusable! This happens with both Full-SBS and Half-SBS, never tried any other formats.

Plex, the app itself, isn't designed to be used in 3D.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users