• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 town1

town1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:00 AM

I have LG smart TV upgrader ST600 using plex for windows i can play all my h264 mp4 files but i cannot get mkv and avi files to play keep getting error cannot play media.The LG smart TV upgrader can play all the files with a external hard drive pluged into the usb port so i am at a loss as to why it can't play them with plex through the media link.Hope someone can help sort this out.thanks

#2 Nick - LG Training

Nick - LG Training

Dedicated Member

• LG Employee
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:41 PM

There's a problem with playing files from a Plex Media Server right now. The programmers are currently working on fixing it.

#3 Bluey

Bluey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:00 PM

There's a problem with playing files from a Plex Media Server right now. The programmers are currently working on fixing it.

Please hurry, I am using wild media server but would much prefer plex!!!!

Cheers
Bluey

#4 magnar81

magnar81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 11:37 AM

Any news about the fix for streaming video from plex?

#5 Nick - LG Training

Nick - LG Training

Dedicated Member

• LG Employee
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

Not yet. I just got back from vacation, I'll talk to them about it again this evening.

Right now there is no Media Link support for mkv, avi, or 1080p.

(.mp4, .wmv, mpg do work right now)

.mkv will have to be added, of course. Not sure about avi.

#6 magnar81

magnar81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:56 AM

Not yet. I just got back from vacation, I'll talk to them about it again this evening.

I got an update yesterday and i was hoping the plex issue was fixed but i am still not able to watch movies from my plex server.
What was the news in the new firmware? is there a site where i can check myself?

#7 Horse

Horse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:22 PM

@Nick

What containers are supported by Media Link?
mkv, avi, mp4 etc ?

What Video Codec's?
H.264, Divx, mpeg2. AVC, VC-1 etc

What Audio Codecs are supported?
mp3, AC3 etc?

This seems to be the achilles heal for LG, I have other hardware that supports a great deal of formats. LG could do with a sample of lots of different samples of media for testing.
I am still waiting to see if they resolve and "format not supported" for an MKV file (USB, Windows Share, DLNA) that contains a VC1 1080P stream. AVC 1080P works just fine.
Some Blu Ray studios use AVC, other use VC-1 so some work (Avatar) some don't (The Dark Knight)

#8 Nick - LG Training

Nick - LG Training

Dedicated Member

• LG Employee
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

Current Media Link support
MP4 and ASF

When using file extension mp4

Video Codecs:

H.264, MPEG4 P2

Audio Codecs:

ACC
AC3

When using file extensions wmv, asf, wma

Video Codecs:

H.264, MPEG4 P2, MPEG4 V3, MPEG2, VC1

Audio Codecs:

MP1
AC3
DTS
WMA
WMA Pro
PCM

I'll tell them about the VC1, both should work.

#9 pmcd

pmcd

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:51 AM

Do you mean there is a possibility that xvid won't work with an avi container ever? That would be interesting.

philip

#10 Nick - LG Training

Nick - LG Training

Dedicated Member

• LG Employee
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

Since everything else we make supports it, support for it is supposed to be added also.

#11 Mrd

Mrd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:39 PM

I have a 47"LW550W and I can play some .mkv and some I can't play at all... That I read on the forum I get mixed answers.
Does the Media Link support .mkv and .avi or doesn't it?

Rather not buy another media extender when I bought the LG TV !!

#12 Jerms

Jerms

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

I have a 47"LW550W and I can play some .mkv and some I can't play at all... That I read on the forum I get mixed answers.
Does the Media Link support .mkv and .avi or doesn't it?

Rather not buy another media extender when I bought the LG TV !!

More than likely there is something wrong with "some" of your mkv files. I have run multiple MKV files that i have encoded through media link with zero issues. The only files i occasionally had problems with, were ones that people brought over on flash drives.

How are you encoding them, ie: program, settings, codec etc.
Plex for Windows
Running Virtualized
DELL R710 - Dual Quad Core Xeon E5504 2GHZ, 48GB, Windows 7 x64
Physical Machine
Dell T3400 - Core2 2.4ghz, 4GB, Windows 7
DELL 2900 - Openfiler OS - 13.7Tb
LG55LV5500 - LG 42LV5500 - 2x ST600 - 1x Roku - 2x Ipad - Motorola Xoom - Motorola Droid 2 - Xbox (XBMC)

Willing to be test subject!

#13 Mrd

Mrd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

More than likely there is something wrong with "some" of your mkv files. I have run multiple MKV files that i have encoded through media link with zero issues. The only files i occasionally had problems with, were ones that people brought over on flash drives.

How are you encoding them, ie: program, settings, codec etc.

VLC and Boxee on my Mac have no problem playing them...

#14 magnar81

magnar81

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:12 AM

is this fixed yet or any news on the problem?

#15 rusty100

rusty100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

i bought a lg st600 smart media upgrader just to stream my plex media from my mac to which i've not been able to do as of yet because of this error. an update would be much appreciated.

#16 Nick - LG Training

Nick - LG Training

Dedicated Member

• LG Employee
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

Sorry, no update yet.

#17 Dinky

Dinky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:51 AM

Bought ST600 hoping it would be able to play my movies via Plex, but it doesn't. Only get "cannot play the media" for each and every movie.
Playing these movies via the "movie" option (not Plex) does occasionally work, but fails on many MKV's. Sometimes no sound. MOV Homevideo's are not even shown here, let alone play.
Why put something on the market if it is not working properly ? Is like selling cars without wheels.

#18 rusty100

rusty100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

Bought ST600 hoping it would be able to play my movies via Plex, but it doesn't. Only get "cannot play the media" for each and every movie.
Playing these movies via the "movie" option (not Plex) does occasionally work, but fails on many MKV's. Sometimes no sound. MOV Homevideo's are not even shown here, let alone play.
Why put something on the market if it is not working properly ? Is like selling cars without wheels.

agreed. i bought mine just specifically to stream my plex stuff to a different room. very fustrating that its sold with a feature it doesnt have. surely this is false advertising.

#19 neilbay

neilbay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:04 AM

agreed. i bought mine just specifically to stream my plex stuff to a different room. very fustrating that its sold with a feature it doesnt have. surely this is false advertising.

I've basically given up waitng for the promised changes in order for it to play any of my video files - given that I bought it to play streamed movies its a big disappointment - what a waste of money.

Most people I know want it for receiving streamed movies. I was the unlucky 1st out of a large group of friends to purchase one - I have been advising them to look at other products and not to purchase it.

Guess Lucky Goldstar is not so lucky for me. Maybe why they changed to just LG and push it as Life's Good instead

#20 Dinky

Dinky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

@Nick: an appropriate LG answer would be highly appreciated. And very, very necessary, believe me. LG is now throwing their name away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users