13 replies to this topic

#1 designwallah

designwallah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

Hello,

I am a new Plex user that has successfully set up Plex Media Server and Plex/Nine client on on MacBook Pro.

I would now like to access this Plex Media Server from outside of my home network - on an iMac. I have installed the Plex/Nine client on on this iMac (Plex Media Server gets installed as well). I would like to point to my home Plex Media Server.

I followed the instructions on "Enabling iOS from outside of your home network" - I set up a DynDSN hostname, created a static IP and set up port forwarding. I tested this via an iPhone using the iOS client and the home Plex Media Server is accessible (though I'm having trouble actually playing music or viewing images - but this problem is for another forum).

Is it possible to access Plex Media Server from outside of my home network?

Additionally, how do you configure a Plex/Nine client on one computer to access the Plex Media Server on another computer - within the same home network?

Thanks very much,

Francis.
Plex 0.9.2.5

MacBookPro6,2 Intel Core i7 2.66 GHz 4 GB RAM
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M Resolution: 1680 x 1050

Panasonic TH-50PX75U VIERA Plasma HDTV 50"
Display Resolution: 720p
Compatible Signal Formats: 1080p/1080i/720p/480p
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Native Resolution: 1366x768

#2 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8626 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:42 AM

Is it possible to access Plex Media Server from outside of my home network?

It's possible to do so, but it's not really a "built in" feature for the desktop client right now. Take a look at the Remote Access page on the wiki. The very important caveat with it is that the content is not transcoded, so it gets served to the remote desktop client as a full stream. You're going to need good upload/download bandwidth if you want to stream content remotely to the desktop app.

Additionally, how do you configure a Plex/Nine client on one computer to access the Plex Media Server on another computer - within the same home network?

There should be no need to configure anything. If the two computers are on the same local network and same subnet, then the "client" should automatically see the library sections being shared from your main PMS.

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#3 sagger

sagger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 02:50 AM

I had the same question. So I set up my remote access, configured a port forward for ssh, and did the terminal command. The wiki says I'm ready to go, but I don't know what to do to access it.

#4 designwallah

designwallah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

Chris, thanks for your response, sorry for my tardy reply.

It's possible to do so, but it's not really a "built in" feature for the desktop client right now.

I certainly hope this gets updated soon. It works well for iOS, it would be nice (and should be easy) to develop it for the desktop client as well.

Take a look at the Remote Access page on the wiki

It seems like the solution discusses the video library only. I'm really interested in accessing my iTunes library.

If the two computers are on the same local network and same subnet, then the "client" should automatically see the library sections being shared from your main PMS

Does this mean I should see multiple library sections, even if they have the same name on both PMS?

Thanks very much,

Francis.
Plex 0.9.2.5

#5 designwallah

designwallah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:49 PM

I had the same question. So I set up my remote access, configured a port forward for ssh, and did the terminal command. The wiki says I'm ready to go, but I don't know what to do to access it.

I think that wiki needs a little more detail. I am fairly adept at this kind of stuff, though I can read technical documents, it would be nice if complete step-by-step instructions were provided.
Plex 0.9.2.5

#6 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8626 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

It seems like the solution discusses the video library only. I'm really interested in accessing my iTunes library.

The "add source" method mentioned wouldn't be applicable to the iTunes Plugin, that's correct. I believe the SSH method or else setting up a VPN or using something like Slink would make the desktop client behave just as if you were on the local network and thus the iTunes Plugin should work.

Does this mean I should see multiple library sections, even if they have the same name on both PMS?

If you're running two PMSs on different computers (same local network, same subnet, etc.) and both have a section named "Movies", then you should see two "Movies" sections on the client. Most skins will also include the server name to let you differentiate them.

I think that wiki needs a little more detail. I am fairly adept at this kind of stuff, though I can read technical documents, it would be nice if complete step-by-step instructions were provided.

Well, basically, remote access on the desktop client is simply not a supported feature right now. I hope it is at some point in the future, but it isn't right now. The wiki information is provided as a starting point to help people out if they want to try some workarounds.

» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

#7 designwallah

designwallah

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

Chris,

Thanks very much for your explanation.

Regards,

Francis.
Plex 0.9.2.5

#8 sagger

sagger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:02 PM

Chris, can you help me with my question above? I have my ssh etc setup. I just don't know what to do on the client side to access my media server from outside my local network.

Thanks

#9 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8626 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

@sagger

Unfortunately, I have no need to remotely access my library via a desktop client, so I have no personal experience with it. Were I to need that capability myself, I'd probably use "Slink" (which I linked above) as that's supposed to "just work".

#10 sagger

sagger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

Works like a charm. It's so simple I can't believe it took me this long to figure it out. I had to undo all of the static IP stuff that the wiki page told me to do, as Slink won't work with a static IP. Which means no IOS server. But I'll get to that in a second.

So for those who want to use their Plex server as a sling box, here's what I did:

Basically I just connected to my home network. Then launched Plex media Server and set up section that pointed to the shared hard drive with the media on it as if it was local. Using slink/remote login is tons easier with a mac to mac connection (even though I think a normal file sharing connection could do the trick just as well).

So Turn on remote login in your sharing prefs, download slink (slinkware.com) and follow the install instructions. Launch media manager and set up a section for your remote media. Make sure you store the login info as well. The hardest part of all of this will be testing it. I've been driving back and forth from Barnes and Noble to use an outside network. :P

What I've found to be incredibly useful is to have all of my media on an external drive. I've got a mac mini connected to a 2tb iomega harddrive. File sharing and remote login for the Mini are on. And all of my computers on my local network pull from the same harddrive over the network. This way, I can have my MacMini setup as I explained above for remote access, and still be able to serve my IOS/Android clients from my iMac (which is still set up with a forwarded port and static IP as per the instructions on the wiki page).

I think all of this should be just as easy on a windows to mac connection using file sharing instead of remote login and slink. Just make sure in your sharing prefs that you click on options next to file sharing and enable a SMB connection.

Hopefully this works for the rest of you who wanted this option.

#11 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8626 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:14 PM

Glad you got things working, sagger.

My understanding with Slink was that your "remote" computer would basically behave as if it were on your local network at home. If that's the case, then you shouldn't even need to worry about setting up content in Media Manager on the remote computer - Plex on that computer should just see the library being shared from your normal PMS already running at home on that local network.

I'd be curious to know if the above is the case or not. If nothing else, though, your method works, too. =)

#12 adriandb

adriandb

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

For remote access to my iTunes library i use Ootunes and love it. There's an iPhone/iPad/iPod app as well as a great web interface.

2012 Mac Mini - 2.5GHz dual-core i5 - 8gb RAM - Mac OS 10.8 | Sans Digital TowerRAID TR5UT+B RAID 5 (5 x 3TB) | Onkyo TX-SR608 | LG 55" LED LCD (55LW5600)

#13 sagger

sagger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

Haha. Even easier. Looks like I need to head down to barnes and noble again.

The method I used should still work on a computer without slink (aka a pc). And it should give everyone on THAT network access to your library through plex... Which is awesome in theory. But not really practical unless you have a super fast Internet connection at home.

#14 m4f1050

m4f1050

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:29 PM

Any way for this to work via VPN? I have both TVersity and VLC running through VPN and they both work fine. I tried Plex and I can't connect to the server?

I wouldn't have any problems if I could use a login if I opened port 32400 but unsecured is not the way these days... Too much knowledge out there (hackers)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users