#1 Tobias Hieta

Tobias Hieta

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3638 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 12:24 PM

Hello!

Since I want to have things clean and tidy on my Ubuntu server I decided to create a Ubuntu package from Plex Media Server. The package is nice and handles setup of an account, upstart script and dependency tracking. I have published my scripts at github if someone wants to create a debian package to use at their machine as well.

I have decided to not publish a precompiled .deb until the Plex Team fully endorses it, because of bandwidth requirements and redistribution rights, so for now you have to 'build' the debian package yourself. Don't worry, it's easy :-)
Instructions on how to build and install is also on Github, follow the links below.

Anyway, code and issue tracking https://github.com/t...iaServer-Ubuntu. Or if you just want to download the latest version of the scripts and don't care about git you can follow this link:https://github.com/t.../tarball/master

Notes to the Plex Team:
  • It would be nice to be able to run Plex Media Server from any directory and just give an argument or environment variable of where the resources directory is.
  • Seems like the server can't run if the user that is running it doesn't have a shell. Seems like a strange requirement.
  • The server segfaults if it can't write to ~/Library :)

Have fun! (And thanks a million to Plex Team for their awesome work!)

Follow me on twitter @tobiashieta or G+

#2 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Tobias, I think I love you :)

We'd love to use your script to build better packages for release and download on our site (and mirrors). We've already fixed the "specify via environment variable where the resources live" issue (if you mean the ~/Library/... stuff).

If you're interested, please PM me your email and I'll invite you to our private Linux room, and we can work together to get your script integrated into our workflow for release.

Thanks again!

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#3 puithove

puithove

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:40 PM

Building on top of that Elan, if you can get a proper .deb package going (that alone would be great) it'd be super-great if you could set up an actual repository...

#4 rippiedoos

rippiedoos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:53 AM

Nice work!! I love it. Can't wait to use this DEB.

By the way, could the .deb be altered to create a file /etc/default/plexmediaserver where the location of the library can be defined and other things as max plugin procs and such? I know this is the default way in Debian, correct me if i'm wrong, to define such things.

#5 Tobias Hieta

Tobias Hieta

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3638 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

Nice work!! I love it. Can't wait to use this DEB.

By the way, could the .deb be altered to create a file /etc/default/plexmediaserver where the location of the library can be defined and other things as max plugin procs and such? I know this is the default way in Debian, correct me if i'm wrong, to define such things.

Yeah, that is part of my plan to do that as well. I will talk to Elan and the guys and see what we can come up with.

#6 Razzia

Razzia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:46 PM

I'm am quite new to Ubuntu - have a small Ubuntu Server 11.04 box running for 3 months with 6-7 different services on my network. Haven't really tried installing anything without apt-get before.

Currently I have the following file structure:

/tru-PlexMediaServer-Ubuntu-6e63412
  /debian
  /src
    /resources
  README.md

When I run "fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -b" I get the following error:
/usr/bin/fakeroot: line 176: dpkg-buildpackage: command not found

Could you please point me in the right direction ? What am I doing wrong.

#7 Tobias Hieta

Tobias Hieta

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3638 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

you need to install the dev utilities. apt-get install build-essential and retry should help you out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users