Photo

Plex on FreeBSD?

Best Answer elan, 30 April 2013 - 04:20 AM

If you have a PlexPass, you can check out our experimental release for FreeBSD 9.1 (amd64) in the PlexPass area ~ http://forums.plexap...er-for-freebsd/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#1 Technofrikus

Technofrikus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:13 AM

Hello,

I would love to install Plex on FreeBSD, since it is the only (real) alternative to Solaris for using ZFS. And what better filesystem to have than ZFS for you large movie collection?

I tried it (briefly) but it didnt work (have to check what problem it was exactly). Did any of you were successful? Would any of you be of any assistance?

Is Plex planned to be ported to FreeBSD?

Thx

#2 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

No plans at present. We gave it a quick try and it was too much work. We are a small team, and need to focus on the platforms where there is the most demand.

That's not to say that might change in the future :)

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#3 Technofrikus

Technofrikus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

Thats too bad, but I understand.

So from your point of view there is no use in even trying to install it, because there would be too much problems I couldn't solve without coding?

#4 Alxscott

Alxscott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:54 PM

No plans at present. We gave it a quick try and it was too much work. We are a small team, and need to focus on the platforms where there is the most demand.

Hi!

Ive been spending the last few weeks pulling my hair out trying to find the best OS for a good NAS. Currently got a QNAP 210 but its ARM processor just cant handle PMS, hence the requirement for a new one!

Lost of people seem very interested in having PMS on a FreeNAS OS, and even a couple volunteered on your blog about the release of PMS for Linux. Was wondering if any had been in touch to take this past the "Friendly Offer" stage? I ask cause im VERY new to Linux and FreeBSD, so not a chance of me doing it, but i do love Plex and FreeNAS seems the best solution for me!!

#5 puithove

puithove

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

Ive been spending the last few weeks pulling my hair out trying to find the best OS for a good NAS. Currently got a QNAP 210 but its ARM processor just cant handle PMS, hence the requirement for a new one!

If you're wanting to go the build-your-own NAS route, you might want to look at unRAID which is already directly supported by PMS. You could buy one of their boxes as well that should work.

FreeNAS is pretty cool but I have to say that I preferred OpenFiler (same idea, but built on Linux instead of FreeBSD) when I played with both a couple years back. I wonder what it'd take to get one of the PMS builds running on OpenFiler. Granted, it doesn't have ZFS like FreeNAS, but...

Then of course you could go extra-geeky and just do your own thing by installing Ubuntu Server (I'm just saying Ubuntu because it's already directly supported) and setup a file share or two. It's really not difficult honestly and there are several how-tos available that walk you through it. You don't get the nifty web-based admin stuff that you get with the NAS-specific distributions but you learn a thing or two along the way. You end up with a full-fledged box that can do anything else you want it to do.

Just throwing out a couple other options for you there.

#6 Alxscott

Alxscott

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

If you're wanting to go the build-your-own NAS route, you might want to look at unRAID which is already directly supported by PMS. You could buy one of their boxes as well that should work.

FreeNAS is pretty cool but I have to say that I preferred OpenFiler (same idea, but built on Linux instead of FreeBSD) when I played with both a couple years back. I wonder what it'd take to get one of the PMS builds running on OpenFiler. Granted, it doesn't have ZFS like FreeNAS, but...

Then of course you could go extra-geeky and just do your own thing by installing Ubuntu Server (I'm just saying Ubuntu because it's already directly supported) and setup a file share or two. It's really not difficult honestly and there are several how-tos available that walk you through it. You don't get the nifty web-based admin stuff that you get with the NAS-specific distributions but you learn a thing or two along the way. You end up with a full-fledged box that can do anything else you want it to do.

Just throwing out a couple other options for you there.

First off, thanks a lot for your reply, and also for some pretty good suggestions!!

I'll defiantly have to look into unRAID and also OpenFiler, see what there both about. And its funny you mention Ubuntu Server because that is the OS im leaning too at the moment. The only thing is I've hoping to run a very low power, yet reasonable performance NAS (Intel Atom D525 kinda thing) and my worry is something like Ubuntu will be a big power draw in comparison. An thoughts on that?! Theres good tutorials on how to configure Ubuntu Server to ZFS, create shares ect.. I just cant see it being as economical on the juice! ( Apologies of this is going slightly off topic, just need a good bit of friendly advice!)

#7 R.Niska

R.Niska

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

First off, thanks a lot for your reply, and also for some pretty good suggestions!!

I'll defiantly have to look into unRAID and also OpenFiler, see what there both about. And its funny you mention Ubuntu Server because that is the OS im leaning too at the moment. The only thing is I've hoping to run a very low power, yet reasonable performance NAS (Intel Atom D525 kinda thing) and my worry is something like Ubuntu will be a big power draw in comparison. An thoughts on that?! Theres good tutorials on how to configure Ubuntu Server to ZFS, create shares ect.. I just cant see it being as economical on the juice! ( Apologies of this is going slightly off topic, just need a good bit of friendly advice!)

Ubuntu doesnt use up more resources than FreeNAS.

I have just migrated from FreeNAS to Ubuntu server because of Plex.
Running on a Intel Atom D525 with 4GB Ram. Im running a ZFS-Mirror on two disks. Everything works great. One stream utilize 100% cpu on one core. (4 Cores.)
Niska
--------------------
./configure --with-girl
make love
make clean

#8 boots2x

boots2x

IP Challenged Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:18 AM

Being an old FreeNAS 7'er I promised myself I'd have a look at FreeNAS 8 at some point... so over the weekend, I re-jigged my Hackintosh Backup server and installed FreeNAS 8.0.1. Boy - Am I glad I did! It's an awesome piece of work! FreeNAS has gone from a techno-toy full of foibles and gotchas to a really easy to use, professional piece of kit.

Thoroughly recommended! If it gains a significant userbase, it would be great to see PMS for FreeNAS!

James

These resources are your friends! The Plex Help Center | The Plex Forums | Forum Search is DEFINITELY your friend!

Check the Plex Media Preparation Guide! | Learn how to collect Log filesGet MediaInfo to analyse video files

Plex Media Server: Mac OS X and ReadyNAS Pro 6 | Plex Clients: Mac Mini 2010 2.66Ghz, 2Gb RAM, AppleTV Gen 2, iPhone 3GS | LG 56" DLP-TV | Sherwood AV Amp | Storage: ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 6 x 2Gb Hitachi HDD for 8Tb storage | Network: Cat 6 cabled, 1000BaseT

#9 Hilbe

Hilbe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:46 PM

I attempted to use the CentOS hack a few months since FreeBSD has a Fedora emulation layer you can install. Basically I couldn't get it to run due to FreeBSD's lacking of epoll emulation. Maybe someone else can figure out a better work around....

#10 Kim Nørgaard

Kim Nørgaard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

I would like to offer my help getting the server compiled on Solaris 11. Is that possible?

#11 jasonahill

jasonahill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:11 AM

I would also like to see PMS available on FreeNAS \ FreeBSD. The performance benefits are tremendous with FreeNAS and although unRAID compares well in functionality, it still doesn't utilize ZFS. The read/write and network speeds for FreeNAS tower over unRAID (and of course, its free!) And the ZFS built in parity and redundancy is well anchored industry standard for many data centers. Where as the unRAID is not open-source and entirely proprietary to its own system. Makes me nervous using something that is not used in the real world and is not necessarily an agreed upon standard.

- Jason

#12 batt01

batt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:19 AM

Plex works great on Unraid. I built a server last week. Very easy setup. Extract Unraid files to USB. Boot from USB. Set up drives. Poof...you have a Unraid Server. You can use most any old PC with a hard drive. Mix and match different sizes of HDD or even IDE and SATA. I had it rinning on an old dell to test before buying hardware. It only took a couple of minutes to install Plex. Make folder on usb stick drop install package in, reboot. Plex up and running then edit boot script to auto start. ZFS may be an more secure file system. But I will be using it as a media server and it does an excellent job for that purpose. I have a Qnap 259 currently as media server and It will re-purposed to sore a redundant backup of any critical data.

Now I am ruinng Sickbeard,Sabnzbd and Plex on my newly built server, that will hold 8 drives, for 294.00 no more space issues. If Too bad HDDz are to pricey atm. Some are under the impression that Unraid runs from the USB stick. It does not, only loads from it.

The decision maker for me was the easy expandability and upgrade of UnRaid compared to ZFS.
If you can afford to plan out your storage requirements long term, ZFS and Freenas will work. However, if wish to expand storage as needed and when it is affordable then UnRaid is the better solution. With a ZFS system, you can add new arrays to your storage pool, but you cannot add additional disks to an existing array.

http://lime-technolo...p?topic=14803.0
Posted Image

#13 Brand

Brand

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

ZFS may be an more secure file system. But I will be using it as a media server and it does an excellent job for that purpose.

ZFS has much more going for it than just being secure and is the perfect file system for a home media server.

The features of ZFS include data integrity verification against data corruption modes, support for high storage capacities, integration of the concepts of filesystem and volume management, snapshots and copy-on-write clones, continuous integrity checking and automatic repair, RAID-Z and native NFSv4 ACLs.

#14 jubei

jubei

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:12 AM

Plex works great on Unraid. I built a server last week. Very easy setup. Extract Unraid files to USB. Boot from USB. Set up drives. Poof...you have a Unraid Server. You can use most any old PC with a hard drive. Mix and match different sizes of HDD or even IDE and SATA. I had it rinning on an old dell to test before buying hardware. It only took a couple of minutes to install Plex. Make folder on usb stick drop install package in, reboot. Plex up and running then edit boot script to auto start. ZFS may be an more secure file system. But I will be using it as a media server and it does an excellent job for that purpose. I have a Qnap 259 currently as media server and It will re-purposed to sore a redundant backup of any critical data.

Now I am ruinng Sickbeard,Sabnzbd and Plex on my newly built server, that will hold 8 drives, for 294.00 no more space issues. If Too bad HDDz are to pricey atm. Some are under the impression that Unraid runs from the USB stick. It does not, only loads from it.

The decision maker for me was the easy expandability and upgrade of UnRaid compared to ZFS.
If you can afford to plan out your storage requirements long term, ZFS and Freenas will work. However, if wish to expand storage as needed and when it is affordable then UnRaid is the better solution. With a ZFS system, you can add new arrays to your storage pool, but you cannot add additional disks to an existing array.

http://lime-technolo...p?topic=14803.0
Posted Image

Surprised to see you used a screenshot of my server.

AppleTV 3 | Roku 3 | Plex Media Server on unRAID | (2) Mac Mini's | OpenELEC w/ PleXBMC | iPad Mini | iPhone 5

#15 jasonahill

jasonahill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

If we are talking about ease of use, I would argue that ZFS(FreeNAS, specifically) makes both expandability and upgrade just as simple and faster than unRAID.

While I can agree that the biggest negative of ZFS is that you have to build the quantity of the disks into the array from the beginning, upgradability (growing size of disks) is still totally available. This could be expensive for some but easy if you were to start with 6x1TB drives; they are extremely cheap right now. While "most" consumer cases\mobos will hold no more than 6 drives, going beyond that would be uncommon anyway. The idea is to grow vertically (larger disks) rather than horizontally (more disks). I have put together 6x2TB drives and as each of them fail over the years, I plan to replace them one by one with the new cost-effective paradigm of the time, likely 4TB, then 6TB, and so on... Over time my 6 disk array will grow with me just as an unRAID would. The difference is that my streaming speeds will tower over unRAID (this is important as video quality continue to increase) and my redundancy method will be transferable to any other ZFS based scenario. If NexentaStor (another ZFS based solution) presents a better webGUI in the future, I don't have to build a new array and transfer terabytes worth of content (never works out as planned), just transfer the current array to the new OS\system.

Can anyone tell me if Plex is bottlenecking on resources with their unRAID solution? I mean, how well is transcoding and streaming going so far? It seems like it might be a little too heavy to run on NAS style hardware. I would love to see some benchmarks, or even better, examples of extremely high quality content streaming to devices both raw and transcoded? I imagine if unRAID has issues here, FreeNAS will be in the same boat. Maybe I should just stick with my current configuration of PMS running on my main OSX Lion (Hackint0sh) client. I would like to be able to turn this device off due to the larger power constraints and heat it generates in my media rack.

-Jason

#16 member@thehorvaths.co.uk

member@thehorvaths.co.uk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

I would LOVE to see Plex for FreeNAS, it's come such a long way and really is a good NAS solution, ZFS truly is the business, however the fact that it lacks the ability to "plugin" extra features (like Plex) makes it not so desirable for a home NAS solution. (Update: 8.1 will have a plugin system ....)
Openfiler is nice but it's built on rPath and uses the conary packaging system and doesn't have things like daap or firefly etc. and the fact that I have no clue on how to use conary it's not an option for my "Home" NAS solution.
Another option is EON which is OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana with full ZFS support and built solely for USB installs but then we're faced with Plex not running on it again. (Can Plex run on Solaris?)
I won't touch unRaid simply because it's not opensource, case closed on that one.
I opt'd for OpenMediaVault which is basically Debian and I believe (I may be mistaken) but was created by an ex-freenas creator/founder ...???
It's pretty sweet and has a plugin system, although Plex is not part of the plugin system but hey, it's debian so I can do whatever I like and install whatever I like.
It does lack the native ability to run from a usb stick though and some tweaking needs to be done to minimize writes

Come on Plex, you have a great app but your missing the best NAS distros out.
Let us know how we can help??

#17 Hugur

Hugur

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

I would LOVE to see Plex for Open Media Vault, been playing arround with most NAS apliances and so far i like it the best. User friendly and Plugins are easy to install for a newb like me :)

#18 Mike.T

Mike.T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:27 AM

I'd love FreeBSD support for Plex Media Server too!

#19 Darknight670

Darknight670

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:46 PM

I would LOVE to see Plex for Open Media Vault, been playing arround with most NAS apliances and so far i like it the best. User friendly and Plugins are easy to install for a newb like me :)

OMV is based on Debian 6 " Squeez". Therefore Plex is already compatible with OMV

Just follow this guide ; http://forums.plexap...rver-on-ubuntu/

( Ubuntu is just a very popular, and now in my opinion substandard , Debian fork )

#20 Darknight670

Darknight670

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:47 PM

I would kill for a BSD port of the Plex Media Server!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users