Photo

Plex on FreeBSD?

Best Answer elan, 30 April 2013 - 04:20 AM

If you have a PlexPass, you can check out our experimental release for FreeBSD 9.1 (amd64) in the PlexPass area ~ http://forums.plexap...er-for-freebsd/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#141 balky

balky

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Or check out http://www.nas4free.org/ which is basically the old Freenas running on FreeBSD 9 :)

In preparation for the plex media server port to BSD, I installed nas4free as a vmware guest barely two weeks ago to see how it performs...

The network card and IBM1015 controller were passed through to the virtual machine.

The VM also had 10G of RAM and 3 cores assigned to it...

I must confess, the performance was completely hopeless...

It started off with a download speed of 8MB/s on my jumbo frames enabled gigabit LAN and after tweaking all the ZFS performance parameters available on the net, the speed increased to about 14.5MB/s. 

This was quite disgusting...

I am definitely not installing nas4free...

#142 rami.bachar@gmail.com

rami.bachar@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Finally the best media server on the best open source OS with ZFS  ,Waiting for this for a long time.

Not running on freenas/nas4free is not a big issue for me as long as it runs on FreeBSD 9.1

Great Job from plex as allways !!!!!! 

#143 spheniscidae

spheniscidae

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:54 PM

Sorry, not sure i follow. What disclaimer?

Assuming the PlexPass holders find it works well, we will make it available for everyone at that point :)

How long (approx) will that take?

QNAP TS-639 Pro (3.8.3) | 12 TiB RAID-6: 846 movies, 157 complete series of TV shows

#144 balky

balky

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:28 AM

How long (approx) will that take?

Sometime... and maybe... sometimeS... :D

#145 xkcdfan

xkcdfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

Interesting thread....I'm suddenly interested in Plex after reading this :-

http://www.google.co...fsiQmTARBk1XqhA

This hack may result in a significant increase in the numbers of people wanting PMS for FreeNAS/FreeBSD. Personally, I can't wait for FreeNAS 9.1 to be released so I can try this out!

#146 kingtj

kingtj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

Just wanted to chime in here, because the only reason I came back to this forum today was with the realization that Plex server was now available for a number of NAS solutions (Synology, QNAP, etc.) and I got excited about the idea it might get released in a version compatible with FreeNAS too.

It looks like it's definitely a possibility, if I just wait for the new FreeNAS running FreeBSD 9 and give people a little time to package up the FreeBSD build of Plex.

I really enjoyed using Plex Server in the past, when I dedicated an older Mac Pro tower to the purpose. But I've long since sold that machine, and in my new (smaller) place I'm renting, just don't have the room to run multiple machines to handle both Plex and my data backup server. All my movies and video reside on my FreeNAS server today -- but the uPnP streaming plugin is all but worthless for me, since my devices need on the fly transcoding to do reliable playback.

I already bought a copy of Plex (client) for my Sony GoogleTV, so it would be great to be able to use it again.....  

(I saw the recent heated debate here on how many people would actually want Plex as a plug-in for a FreeNAS.  I can't speak to the numbers, except to say that I've been using FreeNAS for a while now and IMO, it really wasn't ready for "prime time" until very recently. I think it's reaching the point where you can actually just burn the ISO installation image for the average user, have them boot from it with a USB stick in the system as the install destination, and get it up and running. Not that long ago, this seemed to always result in post-installation issues such as bugs in the web GUI preventing people from getting things configured correctly. Failed drives resulted in a need to research the forums and do complex command line commands to get replacement driving rebuilding correctly. Just not quite friendly enough for mass adoption.) But now it's really a viable option for more people....   I think the availability of Plex Server for it will only drive more adoption.

#147 litfan

litfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:12 PM

Man, can't wait to get this for FreeBSD. I've been desperate to kick Linux to the curb for a year now. Plex will finally let me do that. Thanks Plex devs!

#148 misterredman

misterredman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

Really good news to hear there will be a PMS version for FreeBSD. :) Many other NAS4free users will be happy to use plex as a media server.

I currently use NAS4Free and to host Plex Media Server I had to install it in a virtual machine with Ubuntu (it's definitely working fine that way).

As soon as it will be available to everyone I will give it a try!

Maybe we can make a jail package so that it will be much easier to install.

#149 litfan

litfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:41 PM

Can anyone tell me if I sign up for a plexpass and download this, will it stop working when my plexpass runs out?

#150 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

HACK THE PLANET!

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1951 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Can anyone tell me if I sign up for a plexpass and download this, will it stop working when my plexpass runs out?

I don't believe it would. Elan would no for 100%, but I don't think the PMS releases are tied to PlexPass as PHT is.

/Mark
Get you Plex guides here: Naming Guide, NAS Guide, NTFS on Linux Guide, Linux Permissions Guide, Logs & Library Maintenance Help, Plex Help Page.

My Plex world:
Primary PMS: NAS - 24 bay Inter-Tech 4324L, Xeon E3-1230v2, SuperMicro X9SCM-F, 60GB Vertex SSD, 7x1.5TB SATA Drives
Channel PMS/HTPC/EyeTV: Mid 2011 Mac Mini 4GB RAM 60GB Vertex SSD, 50" Kuro
Clients: Hackintosh - Xeon E3-1275v2, 27" CinemaDisplay, 2010 15" MBP, ATV2, Roku3, iPhone 3gs 32GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 3 16GB

#151 litfan

litfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

I don't believe it would. Elan would no for 100%, but I don't think the PMS releases are tied to PlexPass as PHT is.

/Mark

Thanks Mark. Not that I dont want to support Plex, I just dont have a use for Plexpass right now. I'd love to get Plex going on my server though so I am happy to kick in a month to support the project and get access to the FreeBSD package.

#152 elan

elan

Sheriff of Plexville

• Sheriff Of Plexville
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7412 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:59 AM

Mark is correct. It will still work, but your karma will be reduced infinitesimally.

Instagram: @elan
The Plex blog.
The wife's photography site.
The brother's photography blog.
The dog's twitter feed.

#153 litfan

litfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 01:39 PM

Mark is correct. It will still work, but your karma will be reduced infinitesimally.

Hehe, Thanks Elan. Please thank everyone involved with the FreeBSD port for me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users