iRoNBiLL702

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hello World,

Even though someone took my username on these forums, I will forgive and get over it! :D

My name is Bill Daly (a.k.a. iRoNBiLL) and I work with Team Navi-X on a project known as Navi-X or the Navi-X Media Browser. Essentially, our application is a content aggregator for multiple platforms, currently including Boxee, XBMC and WiiMC. We are currently compatible on any platform you can install Boxee or XBMC on to, including Apple TV 2, iPhone 4 and iPads.

What Kind Of Content Can I Find In Navi-X?
Almost anything. Video, audio, pictures, podcasts, text, web pages with content, live streams, XML feeds, site scrapers… it’s almost overwhelming the amount and type of multimedia content that can be found in Navi-X. I will leave our description at that for now… if you want to check out more, go to http://www.navi-x.org for a thorough explanation of what Navi-X is, as well as screenshots and a video demo to check out. You can also find out more about Navi-X via Google and Twitter.

The reason I am here today is to reach out to the Plex community in search of someone who would be interested in porting over our app to the Plex media center platform. We are an open-source project and as such, we depend on the contributions of users and developers to help make porting to other platforms happen.

Here is some current usage stats for Navi-X… We currently average about 7 million hits a month, have over 7000 users a day using Navi-X and we serve about 90 GB of just text-playlist data a month. We have approximately 245,000 users who use Navi-X either a little bit or a lot.

With this in mind, you definitely wouldn’t be wasting your time porting something over like this… your work will definitely get seen by people, so we are hoping for a seasoned veteran of Plex plugin development to step forward to help with the cause.

Unfortunately, since we don’t make a penny at this time for Navi-X, we cannot pay a developer to do this work… we are soley depending on an open-source developer familiar with this arena. If you feel you could use a spot on a project that is incredibly popular with folks, this is it! Please reach out to me at xiRoNBiLLx@gmail.com if any Plex plugin developers are interested in becoming the “Head Developer for Navi-X on Plex”… we hope to hear from you soon!

Warm Regards,

Bill Daly
a.k.a. iRoNBiLL
Project Coordinator
Team Navi-X

www.navi-x.org
navix.turner3d.net

#2 iRoNBiLL702

iRoNBiLL702

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

Man... 3 people in a row ask me to post a forum thread to find developers for Plex interested in porting Navi-X... I ask them to come here and show support after I post about this so this thread would get recognition and consideration and it looks to me like they didn't even show up and this forum doesn't even have developers... or active members.

I hate to say it but it looks like this will be my last attempt at locating developers for consideration of Navi-X on Plex. I have found more interest from developers on lesser known projects and they show a whole lot more enthusiasm (and member activity). While it's true that at least a dozen people have expressed interest to see Navi-X ported to Plex, it seems either no one has the capability to even consider a task like this or the interest.

You all must have a plugin that is feeding your needs other than Navi-X, which is why you are not even considering looking into a port. If you all would kindly tell me what app that is, this would be appreciated.

This will be the last time I put in efforts finding devs for Navi-X for Plex, so if I don't get an answer soon, I'm going to stop coming to this forum and watching this topic entirely and put Plex in the recycle bin. Thanks to all members who shown interest in porting Navi-X to Plex over the years, but without a developer stepping forward, one can only dream.

Regards,

Bill Daly
a.k.a. iRoNBiLL

Project Coordinator
Team Navi-X
www.navi-x.org
navix.turner3d.net

#3 pooploser

pooploser

Plex Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

hey Bill
First of all let me say I really appreciate the effort. It's not every day that a developer turns to the plex community for a plugin, mostly it's the other way around. However, it's only been a week since you asked and as you know, projects take time and that's what the Plex developers don't have too much. I would kindly ask you to wait a little longer, and I'm sure you'll get an official reply soon. I'm in the support & tester community but I am not a developer or proper member of staff per se.
Navi-X sounds cool, but i'm still not sure what it does.
Could explain it once again? I'm sure you are familiar with Plex/Boxee/XBMC already. All those programs have as you know plugins, and all those plugins are fed with different content.
Especially what it does and HOW it does it. Do the users need an account somewhere?
To me it like most of it would be borderline redundancy for Plex since most of that content is available through direct plugins already. But maybe I'm wrong, and then I'd be glad for you to correct me. Also, the plex developers would have to know if all the content you are serving is 100% legal and doesn't seem to cross any copyright boundaries.
Let me finish the reply with the note saying that i'm rather disappointed with your second message - it was impatient and lacking the professionalism i would expect from a Project Coordinator. The forums, as you can see, are far from inactive, and so is the staff. If you are a project leader you should be able to imagine how busy (don't count the weekend, please) projects are, and e-mails take some time to reply.
Your posts have been read by lots of people, but due to the official tone (at least in the first post), none of the common users wanted to butt in.

Best
Alaska skin for Plex 0.9.5+ Laika
Alaska/Dark skin for Plex 0.9.5+ Laika
My flickr account

#4 JayBird

JayBird

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:03 PM

As above, i dont get what this does and what benefit it has over individual plugins that pull content from various sources?!
Mac Mini 2.0Ghz | 17" i5 MacBook Pro | iPhone 4 | iPad 16GB Wi-Fi | Apple TV 2

#5 iRoNBiLL702

iRoNBiLL702

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

hey Bill
First of all let me say I really appreciate the effort. It's not every day that a developer turns to the plex community for a plugin, mostly it's the other way around. However, it's only been a week since you asked and as you know, projects take time and that's what the Plex developers don't have too much. I would kindly ask you to wait a little longer, and I'm sure you'll get an official reply soon. I'm in the support & tester community but I am not a developer or proper member of staff per se.
Navi-X sounds cool, but i'm still not sure what it does.
Could explain it once again? I'm sure you are familiar with Plex/Boxee/XBMC already. All those programs have as you know plugins, and all those plugins are fed with different content.
Especially what it does and HOW it does it. Do the users need an account somewhere?
To me it like most of it would be borderline redundancy for Plex since most of that content is available through direct plugins already. But maybe I'm wrong, and then I'd be glad for you to correct me. Also, the plex developers would have to know if all the content you are serving is 100% legal and doesn't seem to cross any copyright boundaries.
Let me finish the reply with the note saying that i'm rather disappointed with your second message - it was impatient and lacking the professionalism i would expect from a Project Coordinator. The forums, as you can see, are far from inactive, and so is the staff. If you are a project leader you should be able to imagine how busy (don't count the weekend, please) projects are, and e-mails take some time to reply.
Your posts have been read by lots of people, but due to the official tone (at least in the first post), none of the common users wanted to butt in.

Best

Thanks for someone finally getting back to me. Seeing as how I have been in pursuit of a developer for the last year and a half, I would have to correct you in your assumption I have only been here for 1 week. Remember, we all know ASSuming things can only make you look like the first three letters of the word. :D

For over a year and a half, I have been soliciting a developer for Plex with no results. This is not new to me and I was modding Xboxs with XBMC before some people learned how to wipe their behind, so please spare me the lecture... I'm no noobie, despite having to create another account recently on your forums. :D

As for lack of professionalism, I have to entirely disagree with you. For you to be offended by my mild remarks is laughable at best. If you think anything I said was offensive, perhaps you took what I said too much to heart and should re-analyze how overly protective you are over your favorite software. I could have said it very differently and as it is, saying what I said was the only way to pull a response from SOMEONE... so while you might think it was out of line, it was the only way to get ANY response from the Plex community. You guys are a hard group of people to get the attention of.

As for what is legal and what is not, that is best left to lawyers and unless someone in this forum is a real lawyer, everything we discuss would be speculative at best and wrong at worst. People have been developing plugins for XBMC and Boxee for years without answering to any authority for the media center. If this is how Plex operates, I can see why development on Plex has so many roadblocks.

NOW... if someone would actually like to respond to the inquiry for interest, I would love to answer your questions and will do so. If you have something to discuss other than relevent facts, I ask you please keep non-developer conversation to a minimum on this thread and head over to http://navix.turner3d.net for that type of conversation. Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

iRoNBiLL

P.S. Also, if you had gone to www.navi-x.org, you wouldn't be asking me these questions... but you didn't did you?? :D

#6 iRoNBiLL702

iRoNBiLL702

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

For those too lazy to click on the link above, here is the further explanation of what Navi-X is. Reading... top to bottom, left to right... it's great when you do it. :D

The Navi-X Media Browser is a "content aggregator" that provides access to all kinds of multimedia content, listed on a public directory of user contributed listings or playlists for playing on your TV or PC! Users can link to content and playback video, audio, pictures, podcasts, text, rss and html on the internet and share it with people around the world in seconds! Create fully customizable playlists with backgrounds, logos and icons as well as link to your favorite multimedia on the internet or browse the already existing directory of publicly available content, in one sleek, fast and unified application! Navi-X is a multi-platform addon for XBMC and Boxee, popular and free media center applications available on Windows, Mac, Linux, Apple TV and the original Xbox (modified). We also are always looking to put a flavor of Navi-X on any platform we possibly can. Check out Navi-X and see what you have been missing!

In other words, this is a plugin that is basically a funnel for all possible content on the internet, not just limited to one source or another. The best part is people can share links to things they find on the internet and people will see it seconds after posting it. Find a cool music video on YouTube and then a good movie on Videofriender?? Link to both in a playlist or create several playlists organizing your content anyway you see fit. As soon as someone adds a link to working content, it's available for everyone. So... essentially, we have users on XBMC, Boxee, Boxee Box and WiiMC who find links on the net, then share the wealth with everyone instantly.

You know... instead of explaining myself over and over again, it would probably help if you all googled "Navi-X" or looked it up on Twitter and see what people say about our app. A little self-interest never hurt anybody and I give the same speech over and over again on other forums.... seek and ye' shall find.

I'll say people have told us they cut their Netflix, DishTV, DirecTV... whatever your cable bill is, I have heard people tell me they cut the cord entirely JUST BECAUSE of Navi-X. Check us out on Google and Twitter and see what our app is about today.

iRoNBiLL

P.S. If anybody insists on flaming this thread over "he said, she said" BS, I won't be posting anymore in the thread. Either you are interested or you are not, but don't hate me for trying to be reasonable. :D

#7 pooploser

pooploser

Plex Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:10 PM

Im not gonna try and reply to your whole long thread, but you give some very contradicting statements and didnt give an impression that you were someone who is fun to work with.
You say i should stop 'ASSuming' and then you say i probably never went on your website. I did, and it didnt open my eyes as to what is really is. Your last thread did, thanks.
If i am honest your project does sound interesting, but all ive seen (fine if you were trying for a year) of you was the past few posts, and again i'll say that you don't really sound like someone i'd enjoy working with.
If someone is interested, sure, but me, i am out.
(and fyi i also make plugins for plex so i know my way around it)
My flickr account

#8 boots2x

boots2x

IP Challenged Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:01 AM

Well, that certainly was one way to get attention... The community here is generally a little more gentle than you appear to be. Sorry if you're frustrated - but please don't vent on us helpers. If you want, e-mail Elan at elan@plexapp.com

James

These resources are your friends! The Plex Help Center | The Plex Forums | Forum Search is DEFINITELY your friend!

Check the Plex Media Preparation Guide! | Learn how to collect Log filesGet MediaInfo to analyse video files

Plex Media Server: Mac OS X and ReadyNAS Pro 6 | Plex Clients: Mac Mini 2010 2.66Ghz, 2Gb RAM, AppleTV Gen 2, iPhone 3GS | LG 56" DLP-TV | Sherwood AV Amp | Storage: ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 6 x 2Gb Hitachi HDD for 8Tb storage | Network: Cat 6 cabled, 1000BaseT

#9 iRoNBiLL702

iRoNBiLL702

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:03 AM

Im not gonna try and reply to your whole long thread, but you give some very contradicting statements and didnt give an impression that you were someone who is fun to work with.
You say i should stop 'ASSuming' and then you say i probably never went on your website. I did, and it didnt open my eyes as to what is really is. Your last thread did, thanks.
If i am honest your project does sound interesting, but all ive seen (fine if you were trying for a year) of you was the past few posts, and again i'll say that you don't really sound like someone i'd enjoy working with.
If someone is interested, sure, but me, i am out.
(and fyi i also make plugins for plex so i know my way around it)

Too bad you get caught up on emotional hang ups instead of considering reason. I'm sorry you got offended because you have personality conflicts clearly. To say I'm contradicting myself is a farse and even you know this.

If any REAL Plex developers would like to have an adult conversation, please e-mail me directly. xiRoNBiLLx@gmail.com

Otherwise, this has been a really unproductive conversation with you poop loser, so let your considerations fade away for Navi-X for Plex already... let's be honest, you never intended considering this project... only to shake a finger at me over my "demeanor" of how I communicate. Focus on the answers man and not the problems... you can't solve anything when you are looking in the wrong direction.

Good day to you sir! :D

iRoNBiLL

P.S. By the way... clearly no one is following my advice so let me repeat it.
Reading... top to bottom, left to right... it's great when you do it.
I am certainly not offended by anything anyone has to say negative about me or the app, so again you all are making assumptions... pity.

#10 unisonruss

unisonruss

Plex-Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:24 AM

Navi-X is a cool app, as I've used it on XBMC and Boxee! I was the one BTW that opened a Navi-X request thread in May, hoping it would spark interest. Bill, please read the thread I started...and to others, I explained also what the plugin would do. While I don't really use the app anymore, I probably wouldn't do much with it in Plex, but I know a lot of users would. :D

BTW, here is the link to the thread I started: http://forums.plexap...-navi-x-plugin/

As you can see, user jcoff started the plugin, but I believe he hit some hurtles with the port and development ceased.

P.S. I think users are having a little bit of a negative response to your words Bill, not the software itself. You do tend to come off as abrasive, often (on other forums too)...I don't mind it, (hell, I think it's amusing) but don't put your back up because a user thought you were a bit brash (which you were). The Plex community is quiet and peaceful...I argue we are the monks of the media center software world! More gets done with constructive attitudes [here]. Anyway I doubt this thread will turn into a flaming war, unless we let it become that B)

P.P.S. This is less of a "feature request" than a "Plex Media Server Plugin request..." this may be why you got no feedback right away.

#11 Nosoforos

Nosoforos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:45 AM

I'm sorry but this guy is so offensive and un-mannered.
Why would anyone be interested if you scream for attention like this?

#12 iRoNBiLL702

iRoNBiLL702

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

I confess... I am pretty frank and to the point at times and this is one of them. Too bad people don't see it from my angle and consider the pains and extent I have gone through the past year and a half of trying to find someone to help port our app. I will concede I'm a bit frustrated and at my end with even trying. I get people asking... then no one supports asking when I ask them too by chiming in... it's all too much at times really.

My apologies to all offended. I still believe being frank is not a problem however as I don't like to waste time anymore than others do. I respect this but understand that it comes off as abrasive, so I will concede to that argument. Sorry pooploser for taking such an issue with you. Hopefully you can realize I'm only human and that this is not my first time looking for devs. When you told me things that would normally be told to only noobs, I got offended and shouldn't have I suppose. My bad.

Folks, not trying to play the pity card, but my father died 2 months ago and I have been stressed since then to say the least. Communication has not been my strongest asset lately. Please understand I'm not a bad guy, only misunderstood. I just hope you don't decide to hold this against me, because it really is a misunderstanding I hope we can overlook. My apologies to those who were offended by my remarks. They were out of line.

iRoNBiLL

#13 pooploser

pooploser

Plex Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:06 PM

Hi Bill
First of all let me say that I really appreciate the sincerity of your reply. I'm glad that the harsh tones are a thing of the past. Nobody was insulted or offended by your comments, after all, we are not limpdicks, but I would say that people were rather surprised by the rough tone of voice someone had some cooperation and development together in mind. But enough on that.
Hard times hit people when they least expect it, and can affect people in ways even themselves don't expect. I am sorry for your loss, and hope that you and your close ones will make it through those hard times rather sooner than later.
About Navi-X, I am afraid I'll have to disappoint you that I won't be able to help developing the app, because my personal interests in it don't outweigh the time investment for it. However, if someone else decides to join you in to develop a plugin, I'll be happy to hear about that. I just want to let you know that if there is any possibilities of copyright borderlines being crossed by the content, the plex staff won't be able to official support it, in other words, put it in their "app store".
Anyhow, whatever happens, I wish you best luck in the development of your project and again hope you'll find enough strength to make it through your loss.
All the best.
My flickr account

#14 iRoNBiLL702

iRoNBiLL702

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

Thanks for your understanding and kind words pooploser... I'm trying to get through it but it's been a struggle to say the least. I appreciate your consideration in the first place of Navi-X for Plex. If anyone thinks they have the time to dedicate to something like this, I would love to elaborate on features of Navi-X.

Also, I was wondering if Plex allows for third party app repositories outside of the Plex store to be added independently. All I can say is we have received feedback from actual lawyers who have told us flat out at this point, what we are doing is NOT illegal, but certainly walks a fine line in this regard. I was also advised if copyright or ip property laws change, to keep an eye out for those changes and considerations, so I'm always reading about the latest folleys in U.S. Congress... god know's there are too many to count. :D

iRoNBiLL

#15 unisonruss

unisonruss

Plex-Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Bill, there is an "Unauthorized App Store" where Navi could make a nice addition :)

http://forums.plexap...orted-appstore/

#16 iRoNBiLL702

iRoNBiLL702

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:30 PM

Bill, there is an "Unauthorized App Store" where Navi could make a nice addition :)

http://forums.plexap...orted-appstore/

Good look Russ! We will definitely get with them if a developer should consider the port.

I will try to bring up more interesting facts about Navi-X for folks later to consider. Later!

iRoNBiLL

#17 iRoNBiLL702

iRoNBiLL702

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

All interest is now dead in the water... just as I expected. :D

iRoNBiLL

#18 iRoNBiLL702

iRoNBiLL702

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 05:01 PM

In case anybody wants to see what a busy playlist looks like, here's mine...

Posted Image

Just so you get an idea of what you can expect in Navi-X playlist... in case someone gets interested in porting this. :D

iRoNBiLL

#19 Mikedm139

Mikedm139

Plugin Developer

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 12:09 AM

Looks like someone started to work on this a while back, Seems like it may have stalled though. http://plexapp.light...navi-x-for-plex

If you are having trouble with one or more channels, check here first.
If you are asked to provide logs, which you will be if you are having plugin problems, the help center has details on where to find them.
***************************************************************************************************************************************
Check out unofficial channels in the
UnSupported AppStore
Follow my efforts on Github and Twitter
Donate

#20 iRoNBiLL702

iRoNBiLL702

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

Looks like someone started to work on this a while back, Seems like it may have stalled though. http://plexapp.light...navi-x-for-plex

I know... that's old news. Known about it for a while. It seems to be the trend now a days to start something then give up on it hopelessly. :D

I'm pretty much done with asking folks if they would like to port Navi-X to their local media center or not. Usually, I just get responses that are little more than non-informative banter and someone chipping in their 2 cents for it, then no one ever responding to the post again. Disappointing to say the least but expected from people. At least they can't say I didn't try. Bye Plex forums! I'll miss you and your lame "reputation" system. :D

iRoNBiLL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users