• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#1 bpetrel

bpetrel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 07:20 PM

Anybody up for a Plex Internet App? Beleive it or not, Vizio has been getting great reviews on their displays. At the price that these televisions are going for, I'd love for the VIZIO Internet Apps to include a portal into our favorite media server....

#2 BrandonG777

BrandonG777

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:48 AM

Anybody up for a Plex Internet App? Beleive it or not, Vizio has been getting great reviews on their displays. At the price that these televisions are going for, I'd love for the VIZIO Internet Apps to include a portal into our favorite media server....

I just purchased a VIZIO with apps but I really doubt VZIO apps have the muscle to do something like Plex. Maybe I'm wrong but I think they're more or less just mini web pages.
Posted Image

#3 isabellajack

isabellajack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:19 AM

i bought a VIZIO tv Internet Apps and i dont know how to put internet on it to access the apps does anyone know how?my uncle said You simply plug Ethernet from the TV to your broadband router.If you have a wireless N router, and do not care to run Etherent cable, get a device such as a Netgear WNCE2001, or a powerline extender system.

#4 brdweb

brdweb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:07 AM

I just purchased a VIZIO with apps but I really doubt VZIO apps have the muscle to do something like Plex. Maybe I'm wrong but I think they're more or less just mini web pages.

I don't know why Plex couldn't eventually run on it. There are apps for Netflix, Vudu (1080i streaming!!!!) and Amazon Video. So the horsepower is there. I think it's more a matter of getting it approved for being loaded from the app store on there. They use the Yahoo platform.

#5 Wormhole

Wormhole

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1886 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

with Laika and the new thin client, maybe an app could be produced...

#6 lowkey127

lowkey127

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

with Laika and the new thin client, maybe an app could be produced...

It would also give you more than one option to integrate plex on a smaller TV. Right now the only option sub 40" is the Samsung UN32d6000, and it does have the wireless capability that some of the smaller Vizio tv's have.

#7 lubeto

lubeto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

It would be nice if we get a Vizio App.
Based on stock reports, they were the second biggest seller of smart TV in the US market for 2011.

#8 Linux_Code_gen

Linux_Code_gen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

I just bought a Vizio 37" with internet connectivity which uses the Yahoo widgets for the internet content. The Yahoo widgets are developed in JavaScript. I have downloaded the widget development kit and I am currently in the process of dissecting the Roku Plex application. I hope to have a Yahoo widget developed for my Plex media server within the next couple of months. It will be very interesting to see weather the TV has enough horsepower to run the widget or not.

#9 John M

John M

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:03 AM

Would love to see this; let me know if there's anything i can do to help... I have a Roku & a VIA-enabled TV, but can't say I've done too much on the coding front.

#10 CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

I would also love to be able to stream stuff from my computer to my Vizio TV through the Vizio internet apps. I have also considered writing the code to make it happen.

Linux_Code_gen: Have you made any headway on this? I don't think it will be really easy since dealing with streams is usually a pain in the butt. I'm having a hard time finding documentation on this, or even getting the code of existing Vizio-yahoo widgets. Would you mind pointing me in the right direction?

#11 elxiliath

elxiliath

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

If we can get this working I'd gladly contribute either by donating some time testing, coding or debugging as well as donating $100 or so.
Primary PMS: Digit Phoenix
Storage 9 Terabytes
Clients: 3 x Roku, 2 x iPad, 5 x iPhone, 2 x PC, 1 x Kindle Fire.

#12 benwaynet

benwaynet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

About to buy the Vizio e3d470vx, if I can get a plex app for it I wouldn't have to purchase another device just for plex.
I didn't plan on getting a blu ray to start and finding a low cost one that is 3D and wireless with plex support is a little difficult :)
jb

#13 lavahot

lavahot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

I'm a programmer and I've looked at the docs for creating a VIA app and it doesn't appear to be too difficult. I haven't seen the code for Plex's Roku app, but I bet it would be a fairly easy port. The Roku uses a language called brightscript, while vizio TVs use Yahoo widgets, which are javascript. From what I saw of the Yahoo Widgets and Roku Dev docs, they use the same technology to stream content (HTTP) and both seem to work with H.264 and AAC, but depending on the OEM the capacity of the TV to handle certain schemes or bitrates might differ. The VIA library KONtx handles different bitrates so if PMS can throw multiple bitrates at the client all should be well. Also, I'm willing to bet their control interfaces are a bit different to implement as the menuing systems are quite different. That should be the hardest part to put together as it will require more GUI design than the current release of the Roku client. There's the widget bar at the bottom, the side menu, both of which can be accessed from almost anywhere, and the main app screen, if Plex chooses to implement one, which seems to be custom as they vary wildly from app to app.

I have a Roku box for the TV in my room and a Vizio TV with VIA Internet apps in the living room, which my folks watch constantly. I bought them a Mac Mini for the SOLE PURPOSE of using Plex as an alternative to DirecTV. The only problem is that using the Plex client on the Mac is a bit complicated as it has to be booted up every time they want to use it, and it's difficult for them to control it. They know how to use the VIA apps, however, as they use the same remote and don't have to bother trying to control the mac with their iPhones. If the Plex guys could come out with a VIA app, I will love them forever. Pending that, I might have a look at trying to get one together from the Roku code, or at least some bastardization of one. ;)

#14 worxman02

worxman02

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

I'm a programmer and I've looked at the docs for creating a VIA app and it doesn't appear to be too difficult. I haven't seen the code for Plex's Roku app, but I bet it would be a fairly easy port. The Roku uses a language called brightscript, while vizio TVs use Yahoo widgets, which are javascript. From what I saw of the Yahoo Widgets and Roku Dev docs, they use the same technology to stream content (HTTP) and both seem to work with H.264 and AAC, but depending on the OEM the capacity of the TV to handle certain schemes or bitrates might differ. The VIA library KONtx handles different bitrates so if PMS can throw multiple bitrates at the client all should be well. Also, I'm willing to bet their control interfaces are a bit different to implement as the menuing systems are quite different. That should be the hardest part to put together as it will require more GUI design than the current release of the Roku client. There's the widget bar at the bottom, the side menu, both of which can be accessed from almost anywhere, and the main app screen, if Plex chooses to implement one, which seems to be custom as they vary wildly from app to app.

I have a Roku box for the TV in my room and a Vizio TV with VIA Internet apps in the living room, which my folks watch constantly. I bought them a Mac Mini for the SOLE PURPOSE of using Plex as an alternative to DirecTV. The only problem is that using the Plex client on the Mac is a bit complicated as it has to be booted up every time they want to use it, and it's difficult for them to control it. They know how to use the VIA apps, however, as they use the same remote and don't have to bother trying to control the mac with their iPhones. If the Plex guys could come out with a VIA app, I will love them forever. Pending that, I might have a look at trying to get one together from the Roku code, or at least some bastardization of one. ;)

Any news on the VIA App front?

#15 freshjerky

freshjerky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:34 AM

+1 for this

#16 Bokonon

Bokonon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:13 AM

I'd love to see this as well, though I've been able to get the Media app along with the DLNA server to play a lot of my files. I'd rather have a native plex client though

#17 lubeto

lubeto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'd love to see this as well, though I've been able to get the Media app along with the DLNA server to play a lot of my files. I'd rather have a native plex client though

How did you get DLNA working on Vizio VIA TV?
What Media app re you referring too?

Cheers
Lubo

#18 ManInBlack

ManInBlack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:03 AM

I recently bought a Vizio with Internet Apps and think Plex would make a great addition. Has anyone pursued this far enough to determine if it is even possible?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

#19 Bokonon

Bokonon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

How did you get DLNA working on Vizio VIA TV?
What Media app re you referring too?

Cheers
Lubo

It's just the app called "Media" I think it was installed by default. I'm pretty sure it is the same one you would use if you plugged a USB stick with pictures,music,videos on it into the TV. As soon as I go into it my DLNA server shows up.

I really don't like the interface it has so I use my roku. A native interface would be a lot nicer though

#20 djmendez

djmendez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

It's just the app called "Media" I think it was installed by default. I'm pretty sure it is the same one you would use if you plugged a USB stick with pictures,music,videos on it into the TV. As soon as I go into it my DLNA server shows up.

I really don't like the interface it has so I use my roku. A native interface would be a lot nicer though

Hi, I just came across this thread after updating to the latest PMS. I do not see the DLNA server in my VIA Media app. Can you describe your setup a little more (SW versions, TV model, etc. - see my info below)?

I am running PMS Version 0.9.6.3.140-9c9f5ce
My Vizio is a XVT553SV, firmware VIZIO_C7.0.1.0-S

Is anyone else able to access DLNA in a Vizio set?
Thanks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users