#1 GSX

GSX

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

Hey all,

I have recently been converting some of my TV shows to MKV, and for most of the episodes I have had no problems adding them to the Media Manager. All the metadata and artwork is arranged just fine.

However, I am having difficulty with naming some of the files.

1) I can't seem to get Plex to recognize multiple episodes in one file. For instance I have a few episodes of LOST that consist of two episodes in one file. I have tried several variations on naming, but I can only get Plex to recognize one episode. For example, I have tried Lost - SE06E17-E18.mkv, Lost - SE06E17E18.mkv, Lost - SE06E17-18.mkv. Nothing seems to work. Either episode 17 or 18 gets picked up, but not both. All my other episodes are fine. I just can't figure out multiple episodes in one file.

2) I am also having trouble with bonus materials and specials. I have tried a few different naming conventions such as Mr Bean - SE00E01.mkv and placing the files in the same season folder as the rest of the episodes, as well as in their own folder labeled "specials". So far nothing is working. Plex does not even find the specials and nothing is displayed in the Media Manager. I could edit the metadata myself if I could just get the specials into the Media Manager.

Every time I have made a change I have refreshed the metadata, but that has not helped either.

I am running the latest version of Plex on my iMac running OS X 10.5.8.

Before anyone asks, yes I did take a look at the wiki and search the forums. I have tried the suggestions posted, but so far I have been unsuccessful.

I'm not sure what to do now. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

#2 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8665 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

The following worked just fine for me with some test files a moment ago. It follows the Naming Guide (link in signature).

/TV Shows
   /Mr. Bean
      /Season 0
        Mr. Bean - s00e01.mkv
   /Lost
      /Season 6
         Lost - s06e17-e18.mkv

What I notice from all the examples you gave is that you're using "SE06E17" - note the "e" right after the "s". Instead, it should be "sXXeYY" with XX representing the season number and YY the episode number. (Lower- or uppercase S/E doesn't matter - I just personally use the lowercase for ease of filename reading.)

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#3 GSX

GSX

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 02:42 AM

The following worked just fine for me with some test files a moment ago. It follows the Naming Guide (link in signature).

/TV Shows
   /Mr. Bean
      /Season 0
        Mr. Bean - s00e01.mkv
   /Lost
      /Season 6
         Lost - s06e17-e18.mkv

What I notice from all the examples you gave is that you're using "SE06E17" - note the "e" right after the "s". Instead, it should be "sXXeYY" with XX representing the season number and YY the episode number. (Lower- or uppercase S/E doesn't matter - I just personally use the lowercase for ease of filename reading.)

Yep, you were right. That extra "e" was the problem. Now everything is working. I feel pretty dumb for not realizing that, but I'm sure I saw people using the "e" somewhere. Ah well it doesn't really matter, as long as it's working.

I have a follow up question now that I got those problems working. Is there a way to rename the "Season 0" directory that the specials get stored in into something more relevant like "Specials" or" Bonus Material"? I looked but could not find a way.

#4 JoToFoSho

JoToFoSho

Plex Star

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2882 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:06 AM

Currently there is not. I believe there are plans to display specials where they're supposed to appear according to thetvdb but currently they're all in season 0.
~John T.

New here? Read the wiki and watch the screencast! You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration! :) If that didn't help, posting log files can help us track down your issue.

#5 GSX

GSX

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 03:11 AM

Currently there is not. I believe there are plans to display specials where they're supposed to appear according to thetvdb but currently they're all in season 0.

Okay, that's not a big deal. I was just wondering if there was a way to edit how the specials and bonus material was presented in the Media Manager.

Thanks for the help guys.

Keep up the good work.

#6 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8665 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:26 AM

You know, actually, my TV shows that have some specials episodes do show up with "Specials" at the season level rather than "Season 0". I do know that you can use either label for the directory name when organizing the content on disc.

A quick check through my TV content shows 3 shows that have such specials episodes - two of them use "Specials" as the directory name, but the third uses "Season 0". For all three, it shows "Season 0" when I look at the show in the Media Manager. However, also for all three it appears as "Specials" when I actually view the seasons level of the show in my Mac desktop client.

» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

#7 leotemko

leotemko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

On a related note, I've been able to scrape multiple episodes out of single files but have NOT been able to set an EPISODE BOOKMARK to set start points for each episode within the file. The EPISODE BOOKMARK selection is greyed out. Is this feature active or is it a known omission? I know that you can make custom .NFO files in XBMC but can't seem to find if this works in PLEX.

Anyone able to use the EPISODE BOOKMARK feature?

#8 JoToFoSho

JoToFoSho

Plex Star

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2882 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

I'm guessing it was omitted because the client now relies on the new PMS and this feature wasn't added to the new PMS.
~John T.

New here? Read the wiki and watch the screencast! You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration! :) If that didn't help, posting log files can help us track down your issue.

#9 leotemko

leotemko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

So even though the scraper will create a list of episodes from one file, there is no way to actually play a specific episode by selecting the episode in the list. I did note a post mentioning Episode Bookmarks in Plex 8 so perhaps the developers will re-activate this feature in an upcoming release. It would be a huge time saver.

#10 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8665 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

Basically, the "correct" way to do things is to have individual episodes as individual files. That way, you'll be able to take advantage of all the Plex features: accessing episodes directly, watched/unwatched/resume states for each episode, streaming to non-local clients, etc., etc.

Sure, it takes a bit more effort to (for instance) rip episodes to individual files from a TV DVD, but the flexibility and features that doing so allows definitely makes it worth that effort, IMO.

#11 leotemko

leotemko

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

Agreed. Thanks for the responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users