209 replies to this topic

#121 T'hain Esh Kelch

T'hain Esh Kelch

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 12:54 PM

I got mine working (again). I have had my mac mini running fine for a long time, as described earlier, but suddenly it stopped working, and I suspected an Apache installation to be the culprit.

In any event, I installed PMS on my iMac, forwarded the router to that one instead, and that worked. It forwarded it back to my Mac mini, and suddenly it was working, No idea why, but it does.

#122 eaconwell

eaconwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 06:00 AM

I'm having a similar problem and for the life of me cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm not much of a computer genius so I'm hoping someone can maybe help me figure out what's going on...

Here's my setup-

Computer: MacMini (brand new with Lion, firmware and software fully up to date)
ISP: Time Warner - modem (10mbps)
Router: Time Capsule (firmware & software fully up to date)

Plex & Plex Media Server (PMS) were freshly installed and all the media on my MacMini is uploaded so my server would seem ready to connect to myPlex by simply signing it up from within the myPlex tab in the preferences of PMS pane right?

My time capsule is connected via an Ethernet chord to the TimeWarner modem and I set up a wireless network through my airport utility.

I've been trying to connect to the myPlex server but nothing works:

1.) tried letting it automatically connect/publish - didn't work
2.) tried setting up Manual Specify Port following every step to the T laid out in the ConfigurePortForward article from Plex - still didn't work (it says the server is mapped to port 32400, but has nothing in parenthesis where my IP address that I see at the website whatismyip.org is supposed to be so just this: (), that's not good, right? And then of course a red light for myPlex being unable to connect to server)
3.) have poured through hundreds of posts about this problem trying all of the solutions presented only to determine: I don't think i have any "double-NAT" issues (since all I have is a modem which emits no wifi, and a Time Capsule as the router which emits the wifi and is NAT-PMP enabled obviously - and yes port forwarding is enabled in Airport Utility); I don't have the old Plex files anywhere on my system to worry about; and I've signed in and out and done multiple restarts.

I've purchased a DynDNS for $20 (since apparently it isn't a free service anymore...?), installed DynDNS auto updater, paid $5 for the iOS app, and my husband and I are headed on our honeymoon on Saturday and were SO HOPING to have this figured out by now....I've been staring at the screen for days on end for the past 2 1/2 weeks now trying to figure this out.

I should also say updating the Airport Utility today wasn't super helpful in moving around the location & look of things making it much more difficult to repeat the instructions given by Plex verbatim without wondering if I totally missed something.

Any help would be genuinely appreciated!

Thank you!

#123 mknabster@verizon.net

mknabster@verizon.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hey guys my media server works nice just myplex is not working yet I'm trying to setup so I can watch on my iPhone on 3G, I can mp the ports to 32400 but it gave that msg after map the ports
" myplex was uable to connect to my server"
anyone?

I'm having this exact same issue. The funny thing, is that my Mac was able to have this work no problem, but my Media Center PC i built cannot. I tried deleting the Mac's server off of myPlex altogether, but it still returns the same result. I also tried this on a Windows laptop running the same OS, and it did the same thing there too. So is there an issue that Plex and myPlex has with Windows 7 Ultimate x64, or 64 bit operating systems in general?

#124 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11064 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

@mknabster

There's certainly no general issue with Win7 or 64-bit operating systems. I have a test PMS I run on my Win7-64bit computer and the myPlex connection auto-maps just fine. Hard to give any suggestions without knowing details about your network connection and network equipment.

@eaconwell

I have an extremely similar setup to you:

Time Warner -> cable modem -> ethernet -> Airport Extreme Base Station -> multiple computers connected both via ethernet and wireless

I have three computers that sometimes run a Plex Media Server (2 wired and 1 wireless connection) and all three of them are able to successfully auto-configure the myPlex connection. Some things to check in your Airport Utility (after you click on the Time Capsule and go into "edit"):

- Under Wireless, do you have it set to "Create a wireless network"?

- Under Network, is it set to "DHCP and NAT" for Router Mode?

- Also under Network, is "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol" checked?

- With your hardware and network setup, you shouldn't need anything Plex-related set under "Port Mapping" - your setup should allow auto-configuration.

If you continue to have trouble, you could try dropping by the Plex Chat room (see the "Chat" link in the menu at the top of the page).

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums
» Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(no private messages for support unless requested, please)

#125 mknabster@verizon.net

mknabster@verizon.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

What kind of information do you need Chris C? I was noseying around a bit on my machine a bit, and was wondering that if i remove my firewall altogether, what would happen. SO i turned it off, (it's Zonealarm free), and it started working. So i went into Zonealarm, configured it so that anything Plex has full access, but unfortunately that didn't fix it. So the fault is in Zonealarm, and not Plex. Chris C, what do you use for security on your machine?

#126 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11064 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

SO i turned it off, (it's Zonealarm free), and it started working. So i went into Zonealarm, configured it so that anything Plex has full access, but unfortunately that didn't fix it. So the fault is in Zonealarm, and not Plex. Chris C, what do you use for security on your machine?

I actually run Zonealarm Free on my Win7 machine myself as well. Looking in its program access control, I think the only relevant ones would be "Plex Media Server.exe" and "PlexScriptHost.exe" where I have them fully allowed. Maybe "python.exe", too - though I think that's handled with the scripthost one for PMS.

» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Attach Log Files when reporting issues // See how to attach files in the forums

#127 mknabster@verizon.net

mknabster@verizon.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:16 PM

I actually run Zonealarm Free on my Win7 machine myself as well. Looking in its program access control, I think the only relevant ones would be "Plex Media Server.exe" and "PlexScriptHost.exe" where I have them fully allowed. Maybe "python.exe", too - though I think that's handled with the scripthost one for PMS.

Huh, that's really odd. Because i allowed everything as well, but it still does the same thing. I even tried game mode with all allow, and it still didn't work. I'll have to look for that python.exe in there and see what i can find.

#128 slappyjam@gmail.com

slappyjam@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

I just installed plex for the first time and I'm getting the same issues. Looks like I can't login to the website either. The homepage pulls up but when it displays the login page it looks all weird (like without any graphics). I go ahead and log in anyway and it eventually gives me "Webpage cannot be displayed"...

Methinks the server is having issues....

#129 mknabster@verizon.net

mknabster@verizon.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:05 PM

Would there be any chance that you could post your firewall sensitivity settings? I can't fine the python.exe anywhere in my program control, but i have all the Plex programs, 3 of them, set to super with all allows for all 4 options.

#130 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11064 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:12 AM

Would there be any chance that you could post your firewall sensitivity settings? I can't fine the python.exe anywhere in my program control, but i have all the Plex programs, 3 of them, set to super with all allows for all 4 options.

In ZoneAlarm Free:

- Under "Computer > Basic Firewall > Settings", I have Public = High and Trusted = Med

- Under "Computer > Application Control > Settings", I have both Current Settings options set to "Auto"

So, the "python.exe" I mentioned earlier is associated with the Plex Media Server (PMS), but it could either be from an older version of the PMS or else only associated with running Channels/Plugins. I went ahead and removed all the Plex-related entries I could find in my Program Controls for ZoneAlarm. When I restarted the PMS, the entries I got back were:

Plex Media Center
Plex Media Scanner
Plex Media Server
PlexScriptHost.exe
All have both inbound and outbound active, except for the Scanner one, which only has outbound.

#131 mknabster@verizon.net

mknabster@verizon.net

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:19 PM

Alright, crisis averted. I changed all of the settings to Medium and now it's working. I had everything set to high. Thanks so much for your help Chris

#132 lawton

lawton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:53 AM

If you are having issues with myPlex connecting to your account, I would check to see if you are blocking access to Amazon's EC2 IP's.

It appears that plex is using their services to host the myPlex site. The netrange is: 50.16.0.0 - 50.19.255.255.

In short, check your hosts and/or your permallow lists (peerblock etc...) and add this host range. As of right now, the host range appears to be limited to 50.18.*.*..., so the 50.16.*.*, 50.17.*.*, and 50.19.*.* are not being used... That may change as more and more users start to use the service. With the recent GoogleTV app, that will probably happen very soon...

-Jason

Just disabled PeerGuardian and finally got it working.
Thanks.

#133 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11064 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

Just disabled PeerGuardian and finally got it working.

Sadly, every single time I've heard PeerGuardian mentioned (in regards to Plex or otherwise), it's always been because it was causing problems. =(

#134 ghitis

ghitis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

I have the same issue of myplex not connecting to the server.I have 2 routers and I use win 7 64.
Can I get easy detailed instructions of what I need to do to make this work?
Thanks!

#135 macshinky

macshinky

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:22 PM

Hey Guys,

After extensive troubleshooting on a Mac Mini with Lion, i managed to get mine working. Close down all plex applications. Then from the "~\Library\Preferences" (you can enter this in Go To Folder) find all ,plist instances that belong to plex. I found four, three were from the previous version of plex. Delete or relocate them, which ever you feel comfortable with. This will get rid of all the preference settings for plex media server (it won't affect the database)
Open plex media server and sign into myplex. Take note when you sign into my plex for the first time, it will not authenticate. Close plex down, restart if you need to and then reopen and sign in.
Be sure to make exception in your firewall for all plex apps.

#136 roth2006

roth2006

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

Same here. Not sure if previous post has typos in it with port numbers.

Posted Image

#137 Cinderella

Cinderella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

I have tried for a while now to get MyPlex working.

Internally it all works fine.

But I can not get the Myplex to connect to my media server.

I have a Mac running the latest Lion build connected to an Airport Extreme.

I checked settings a suggested earlier in this thread including uninstalling & reinstalling and making sure all .plst were gone from the libraries folders as well as checking my airport extreme:

Under Wireless I have it set to "Create a wireless network

Under Network, it is set to "DHCP and NAT" for Router Mode

Also under Network, "Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol" is checked

But I still get the error myplex was unable to connect to my server

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

#138 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11064 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:32 AM

@Cinderella

What sort of internet connection do you have (DSL, cable, etc.)? Do you use a DSL modem, cable modem, etc. and if so, what model?

Getting a log could be useful here, too:

1. Restart your Plex Media Server

2. Open the Preferences, go to the myPlex tab, and let it try to connect

3. Zip up and attach the "Plex Media Server.log" file to a reply here (see link in my signature for log info)

#139 Cinderella

Cinderella

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

@Cinderella

What sort of internet connection do you have (DSL, cable, etc.)? Do you use a DSL modem, cable modem, etc. and if so, what model?

Getting a log could be useful here, too:

1. Restart your Plex Media Server

2. Open the Preferences, go to the myPlex tab, and let it try to connect

3. Zip up and attach the "Plex Media Server.log" file to a reply here (see link in my signature for log info)

Hey Chris - great to hear from you!

I have Cable Connection. I use a motorola DOCIS 3 modem connected to an airport extreme. My connection speed is Up to 50 Mbps download speed
Up to 3 Mbps upload speed.

I have restarted the server multiple times as well as reinstalled even removing legacy files in the library folder. But I tired it again Same thing - and attached is the log.

Thank you for your help and time!

Attached Files

#140 mobelby

mobelby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Yes, the internal port will always need to be 32400. You can change what the external port is, though, so long as the external port you choose maps to 32400 internally for the computer in question.

Chris C - this info really should be on the wiki so people can manually set up their routers properly. I only saw this post by chance and that confirmed a hunch I had