• Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#1 mickeynygaard

mickeynygaard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:15 AM

So...Absolutely love the new Plex, bunch of cool stuff....

Sadly tho i'm experiencing a rather annoying issue.

Whenever i start the playback of a DTS movie, everything works great until i stop the movie, then sound breaks until i restart Plex. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Setup:

2011 Mac Mini
Optical out to a Pioneer VSX-1020k receiver
Latest Plex 0.9.5
Latest OSX 10.7.2

Let me know if i need to post any log or other information.

Thanks, Mickey

#2 Yanathin

Yanathin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:53 AM

Experiencing this same exact issue. I'm not sure if it's connected to DTS specifically since I couldn't figure out what's causing it, but every once in a while the sound would simply stop working via my optical out and I'd have to quit and restart. It's enough to (unfortunately) make me use the older version until this bug is fixed. Which is a shame, because this myPlex thing and the On Deck lists are really, really cool!

My setup is very similar to yours:

2010 Mac Mini
Denon AVR-791
Optical for Audio
HDMI for Video

This actually brings up another question... I've been using optical for audio and HDMI separately for video due to weird syncing and DTS issues. Is this fixed in this Laika update? Can I use HDMI for both without any problems now?

#3 kaiguy

kaiguy

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 02:19 AM

+1. After watching media with DTS, all sound gone until the client is restarted.

ESXi 5.5 virtualized server (Win 7 Pro guest serving latest PlexPass PMS, unRAID 5 guest serving media)

Mac Mini 2.26 GHz primary client with Plex/HT - Sony NSZ-GS7 - 2x Vizio Co-Star - Roku2 XS - Chromecast - assorted iOS

#4 docjoe

docjoe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:09 AM

Same here. I went back to the older version...

#5 henrk

henrk

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:14 AM

same here...

#6 Cello

Cello

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:21 AM

Not just DTS, for me it happens also with Dolby Digital.
After finishing playback, a popup (lower right part of the screen) sometimes comes up saying "Faile to intitialise audio device" or something like that. No clicking sound while browsing. Only option is to quit and to restart Plex.

#7 davrosuk

davrosuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:25 AM

Getting this too. Everything else is better. Both DTS and DD will play just once then a restart of plex is required. Workaround for me is set output to Analogue which gives me just PCM output. Not ideal but sure this will be resolved quickly. Mid 2011 Mac Mini (Lion)

#8 davrosuk

davrosuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:30 AM

Should add that for me sound starts playing through the built in speaker after playing any video. It seems like it works once then crashes something and goes to the interal speaker and that includes the scroll 'clicks' and background music. As I said above a restart gets it back.

#9 cryptochrome

cryptochrome

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:32 AM

I had the same issue. I was able to fix this by going into the audio preferences and selecting the output I want to use, instead of having it set to "use system default".
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
http://flickr.com/cryptochrome
Twitter: @cryptochrome

#10 NiklasKarlsson

NiklasKarlsson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

Exactly the same issue here!

#11 Elmar Kouwenhoven

Elmar Kouwenhoven

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:58 AM

same here

#12 davrosuk

davrosuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

I had the same issue. I was able to fix this by going into the audio preferences and selecting the output I want to use, instead of having it set to "use system default".

I tried that but I don't seem to get anything unless I set it to 'use system default'. I have two HDMIs in the list as I have an output through thunderbolt and HDMI (one is for sound the other video - long story) and neither seem to do anything. Related? Not sure.

#13 luke

luke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:35 AM

Similar issue here, but different. I cannot get any audio playback from movies with DTS or AAC audio. Movies with Dolby Surround Sound work fine.

In audio settings I have the same settings set as previous version of Plex, but no audio at all, even after restart.

I have a 2007 Mac mini, with optical audio out to a LG HT805PH Dolby Surround Sound system (not capable of DTS). With previous Plex this wasn't an issue as I only selected that my receiver was able to play Dolby Surround Sound.

Let me know if you want me to check anything and report back. I have a number of video test files with different audio settings and DTS and AAC continue to play no audio.

Mac OS 10.6.7
Mac mini (mid 2007)
DVI to HDMI Cable (video)
Optical Audio Cable (audio)
3GB RAM
1.8 GHz Core 2

Thanks
Mac mini 2007, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.83 GHz, 3GB RAM, Intel GMA 950 Graphics - 1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz. Connected via DVI to HDMI cable to LG 32LG3000 TV and optical audio to LG HT805PH 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound System.

#14 puithove

puithove

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

I'm getting this too. I was playing with XBMC recently and had the same issues. This came over with the updated XBMC code. So far it seems to be just the menu clicks missing - if I start another movie I have sound. Although I don't know if I've tried any non-multichannel-audio movies when the audio's gone. It might be different.

Try different scenarios and see if the results change:
Play multi-channel media (DTS, or AC3), stop, menu clicks gone, play another multi-channel media
Play multi-channel media, stop, menu clicks gone, play stereo or mono (AAC, MP3, etc.) media

Anyway, this issue is very much like the issue caused by Apple's audio updates which makes me wonder if it's related.

#15 luke

luke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:56 AM

I'll be sticking with 0.9.3.4 for the time being so until this is fixed. Just started up 0.9.3.4 and all working fine again.

Interesting point about XBMC though.

I am still using Mac OS 10.6.7, so version before Apple updated the drivers. Still haven't updated to 10.6.8.
Mac mini 2007, Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.83 GHz, 3GB RAM, Intel GMA 950 Graphics - 1360 x 768 @ 60 Hz. Connected via DVI to HDMI cable to LG 32LG3000 TV and optical audio to LG HT805PH 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound System.

#16 alan@alan-arkin.com

alan@alan-arkin.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:17 AM

I have the exact same problem. Mid 2010 Mac Mini hooked up to Sharp HDTV via Hdmi and Denon receiver via optical. Seemed to happen with both DTS and Dolby Digital. Also had strange audio interference. Also had the failed to initialize audio device error message. Played fine on Hdmi audio.

Not sure but setting it to Digital output and default output device seemed to help.

#17 iGarth

iGarth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

I'm having a similar issue to the reports above however I am using HDMI for audio. Sound drops out and is replaced with a kind of static noise. Solution is to quit PLEX & restart.

#18 batsabode

batsabode

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

I'm having a similar issue to the reports above however I am using HDMI for audio. Sound drops out and is replaced with a kind of static noise. Solution is to quit PLEX & restart.

Same issue here. Old mac mini 2008 with Kanex mini display port and uadio to hdmi cable http://www.kanexlive.com/iadapt51 . Now when I play for example one episode of Frasier is plays ok then when it finishes I hear a pop when it goes back to plex and the only way to restore clicks or sound is to restart plex.
HDMI is going to denon avr-1912.
Hopefully this and login to myplex can get fixed. Will post that problem on another forum.

#19 luke

luke

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

I played around with different settings ands can't get AAC or DTS audio playback on my videos via my optical audio.

#20 sampatterson

sampatterson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:59 PM

Mine was doing this also on a MacMini 2011 using HDMI - to fix for me:

Under Preferences->System->Audio
The default settings were: Audio Output: HDMI, Audio Output Device: Default Output Device

I set Audio Output to HDMI and set Audio Output Device to HDMI and the issue went away. No need to restart plex to get audio back. Don't know if this works for optical out but worked for me on 3 clients using HDMI audio out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users