31 replies to this topic

#21 Jam

Jam

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4042 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

I don't see why you can't have an option during install that asks you whether you plan on using myPlex or if you would rather set things up on your own. You could even label them as default and advanced. SO then the user would have only one authentication method running on that user's server (and other one just wouldn't install). I've used an older version of Plex until recently and for the last few days I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I'm unable to connect to my media remotely (even though my router and everything is set up right). Now I know why. Which is very unfortunate, because no offense to the Plex team (I LOVE your product), but I refuse to use myPlex. >in my opinion< I feel that it's an unnecessary security risk. Not only would the IP address to my computer be on the myPlex server, but the login as well. Which means that whoever has access to that info can get on my computer. Now I'M NOT SAYING that Plex would ever do such a thing, but I don't know them personally, so why would I give them the keys to my house? Right? Another thought is that they could get hacked in the future (which I hope they don't).

There's certainly no technical reason we can't do that. But then we'd have to continue supporting both login methods in the server code. And implement both login methods in every client. And add user interfaces for controlling both login methods to the server, and also to every client. I understand your point of view, but to be honest, you're in the minority. Most users are perfectly content with using myPlex. We're a relatively small development team, and the cost in terms of time & work for supporting the aforementioned feature in every codebase outweighs the benefit it'd provide for the handful of people who'd actually use it.

If you really don't feel comfortable using myPlex, there's another option - you can disable security entirely and handle it yourself, using a VPN or SSH tunnel.

#22 bastafidli

bastafidli

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

There's certainly no technical reason we can't do that. But then we'd have to continue supporting both login methods in the server code. And implement both login methods in every client. And add user interfaces for controlling both login methods to the server, and also to every client. I understand your point of view, but to be honest, you're in the minority. Most users are perfectly content with using myPlex. We're a relatively small development team, and the cost in terms of time & work for supporting the aforementioned feature in every codebase outweighs the benefit it'd provide for the handful of people who'd actually use it.

If you really don't feel comfortable using myPlex, there's another option - you can disable security entirely and handle it yourself, using a VPN or SSH tunnel.

Forgive me if this is obvious, I am a novie user: How do you disable security?
Have you also considered addig ability to add option to specify multiple subnets that are considered "trusted" and not require login (e.g. my scenario where my wireless clients are on different subnet than my wired clients and server)?

Thank you

#23 Valyno

Valyno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Hi,

Wish to add my voice to this issue: can't log-in to myPlex from my office workstation (firewall is blocking..).

Otherwise, congrats to the dea team...

V

Plex Media Server on Debian headless server

Various clients (iOS, Androïd, Snow Leopard and Win7)

2 Raspberry B + Rasplex + iClever Rii

Cubox-i2 Ultra waiting for Rasplex

#24 jfelchner

jfelchner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:27 AM

Jam, I absolutely see your reasoning behind not implementing the dual auth methods. I'd just appreciate it if you could let us know what we need to do about dynamic IPs. You say that we are in the minority in requesting a dual auth method, and I'll agree with that, however people with dynamic IPs are in the majority. The #1 solution for that is to use DDNS. myPlex uses an IP instead of a domain with the auth token therefore using the domain to log in always fails.

Is PMS smart enough to send myPlex the new IP when it changes? It's certainly a #firstworldproblem to complain about having to log in to myPlex and click 3 times just to log in to my Media Server, but I think that if you're not going to implement dual logins (for which your reasoning is sound), allowing a PMS to be published to a domain as well as an IP makes perfect sense.

Heck, I'd be fine if you just allowed us to turn off the internal security and enable BasicAuth over an HTTPS connection.

So for those of us with DDNS set up pointing to our home public IPs, how do we log in using our domains?

#25 MetaWops

MetaWops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Here's an interesting problem:
I used the iOS app when there still was the username/password authentication method in PMS.
I configured the iOS app to access my PMS via internet (dyndns name, port forwarding) and entered my username & password back then.
Guess what: this still works!
Why are the username & password text fields still in the iOS app when configuring a server if that authentication method was removed?
Why can I still access my PMS using this method? The old username & password still seem to be stored somewhere inside the PMS! WHERE???

#26 fraghunter

fraghunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:43 AM

Hi Guys!

thanks for all your development work! The Media Server ist very nice and has a lot of functionality...
It´s very nice to use but the windows media server login restrictions limitations are something to care about IMHO.

with this bonus... it´s something like a private media microcosm which runs great... Guys please reflect it.
What I imagine is that using the myplex solution you will attrack customers paying monthly for the service.

why not changing to a payable software instead of trying to sell software services.... no one like to pay for this kind
of services as long as it will be other free services.

best regards

#27 kotten

kotten

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

Anyone know the default username and password?

When i try to use myplex instead i must add my server first. So i start preferences inside
the webinterface and checked the tickbox, publish server to myplex. It start to do something
and after a while it says: unsuccesfull to map port. Not a IDG device

#28 kotten

kotten

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:55 PM

Anyone know the default username and password?

When i try to use myplex instead i must add my server first. So i start preferences inside
the webinterface and checked the tickbox, publish server to myplex. It start to do something
and after a while it says: unsuccesfull to map port. Not a IDG device

EDIT,
It works fine now for me. I hade to check the other tickbox below about if your router
does not support autoconfig. Now i can rach my movie library over 3G, and it works
surprisely very good.

Of course i have one other thing. If i am connected over wifi, i have my subtitles (.srt)
visibale in my movie correctly, but when i switch over to 3G, the subtitles is mising.
is this a nown error?

i use plex on my android smartphone. i have also a ipad.

#29 balky

balky

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

For the first time, after more than a year of using the plex media server, I start to really really dislike the situation...

I am planning to rebuild my selfmade CentOS 6 NAS (I'm adding a HW controller and will do RAID 5 in HW) which has been running incredibly fine for over year and was just testing out the latest version of plexmediaserver.

As a security minded network professional, the idea of forcing people to sign up for myplex just doesn't sound normal.

Don't get me wrong, I have paid for the plex client on IOS and android client, but I really find it disgusting the idea of having to sign up for myplex before I can configure and use a new setup.
There should be an option not to use myplex, and it should be a trivial option as well.

In a worst case, you guys can ask for a license fee and spare those of us who are ready to pay the invasion of our privacy...
Why the heck would I want to share my expensively paid for blu-ray rips with friends or other internet users??? this just sounds insane...

I don't and don't wish to access my plex server from remote, not for viewing movies, not for configuration.
This is completely private and I wish to keep it that way!

Luckily I was just doing a test run and didn't touch my old setup.

If there is no fix for this, I'm moving over to XBMC and will probably ask for a refund of the plex clients I bought...

#30 balky

balky

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

What's up with this issue?

Is someone going to say something?

It must be possible to use plex without signing up for myplex...

Thanks.

#31 songok

songok

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

For the first time, after more than a year of using the plex media server, I start to really really dislike the situation...

I am planning to rebuild my selfmade CentOS 6 NAS (I'm adding a HW controller and will do RAID 5 in HW) which has been running incredibly fine for over year and was just testing out the latest version of plexmediaserver.

As a security minded network professional, the idea of forcing people to sign up for myplex just doesn't sound normal.

Don't get me wrong, I have paid for the plex client on IOS and android client, but I really find it disgusting the idea of having to sign up for myplex before I can configure and use a new setup.
There should be an option not to use myplex, and it should be a trivial option as well.

In a worst case, you guys can ask for a license fee and spare those of us who are ready to pay the invasion of our privacy...
Why the heck would I want to share my expensively paid for blu-ray rips with friends or other internet users??? this just sounds insane...

I don't and don't wish to access my plex server from remote, not for viewing movies, not for configuration.
This is completely private and I wish to keep it that way!

Luckily I was just doing a test run and didn't touch my old setup.

If there is no fix for this, I'm moving over to XBMC and will probably ask for a refund of the plex clients I bought...

You are in a minority it would seem. People asked for all the functions you say you don't need or want and the dev's implemented them.
People want to share their libraries with friends and family, people want remote server configuration/media queing/sync queing. Of tcourse this could be done through RDP or similar but this is too complicated for the average customer.

I understand your privacy concerns with having media published etc and I do think that XBMC or mediaportal might suit you better as a more advanced user who can do without the extra feautures made available (as simply as possible) through the use of myplex sign-in.
Clients
-Iphone 4s
-New Ipad (A6x)
-Asus transformer infinity (TF700)
-Samsung galaxy S3 mini

#32 balky

balky

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

You are in a minority it would seem. People asked for all the functions you say you don't need or want and the dev's implemented them.
People want to share their libraries with friends and family, people want remote server configuration/media queing/sync queing. Of tcourse this could be done through RDP or similar but this is too complicated for the average customer.

I understand your privacy concerns with having media published etc and I do think that XBMC or mediaportal might suit you better as a more advanced user who can do without the extra feautures made available (as simply as possible) through the use of myplex sign-in.

Thanks,

I get the message...

What happens to plex clients I paid for?

Is there a refund process?

On the minimum it would be at least be fair to donate the small amount to XBMC instead...

Being in the minority doesn't justify the exposure of my privacy especially against my wish...

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users