Photo

Plex for Windows on an Ion (Zotac MAG) anyone?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Balthisar

Balthisar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:38 AM

Quick version: Does Plexapp for Windows do hardware video decoding? And if so, an Atom/Ion 330 system is a good candidate for a front end?

Longer versions: The release of a Windows versions is pretty exciting! Not because I'm a Windows user, but because I have a Zotac MAG that's currently running Ubuntu 10.10 and XBMC, and streaming from the server via FTP (thank you, Lion, for destroying SMB), and of course, I'd prefer to be running XBMC.

The MAG works in Ubuntu excellently and handles 1080p without so much as a studder. It's quite amazing, especially considering that I "grew up" with XBMC on an actual XBox.

The stock system, though, just barely meets the system requirements, and I don't want to go through the hassle of removing an adequately good (read: working) Linux system if the machine is too underpowered (read: no hardware decoding).

Any ideas here?

#2 Balthisar

Balthisar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

Okay, my search skills sucked last time, and it looks like a major part of my question -- hardware acceleration -- was answered. Unfortunately it also looks like I'd have to spring for another Windows 7 license, which is a shame because I have a gazillion legal XP licenses available.

So, anyone tried H.264 at 1080p in software yet on a similar machine? How'd that work out?

On the other hand, my Win 7 Pro is in a virtual machine (Parallels), so I could install it on the Zotac and claim the VM is there. Nah, that's walking a really thin line.

#3 Soli

Soli

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:27 AM

This might be the wrong place to ask. It was just accidental that I came over this thread.
Anyways. Your Ion 330 will probably work fine in Win 7. My 2011 Mac mini works great.

You will need GPU acceleration because the Atom CPU is weak and even has big problems displaying 720p.
You might have to overclock either the CPU (to 1.8 or 2ghz) or GFX Card. (the core from the default 450mhz to 550 or 600mhz, and memory up to 1100mhz).
I have not this specific machine in Windows, but I am sitting at a ION 330 right now with OSX 10.6.7 installed. Without GPU acceleration this would be of no use, with GPU acceleration enabled it works fine at 24fps 16:9 1080p. For some 30fps 16:9 1080p you will need to slightly overclock the cpu/gfx as described to have a smooth experience. You might not even need to overclock anything in Windows, as drivers and such tend to be a little more optimized than in OSX.

edit: I found out that no GPU overclock is neccesary. I needed to overclock the Atom330 from 1.6ghz to 1.9ghz to have stable fps with a 30fps 1920x1080 documentary. I dont think this is need when using Windows though.

#4 boots2x

boots2x

IP Challenged Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:41 AM

Interesting comment here... http://forums.plexap...post__p__206759

These resources are your friends! The Plex Help Center | The Plex Forums | Forum Search is DEFINITELY your friend!

Check the Plex Media Preparation Guide! | Learn how to collect Log filesGet MediaInfo to analyse video files

Plex Media Server: Mac OS X and ReadyNAS Pro 6 | Plex Clients: Mac Mini 2010 2.66Ghz, 2Gb RAM, AppleTV Gen 2, iPhone 3GS | LG 56" DLP-TV | Sherwood AV Amp | Storage: ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 6 x 2Gb Hitachi HDD for 8Tb storage | Network: Cat 6 cabled, 1000BaseT

#5 Balthisar

Balthisar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:13 AM

Okay, I'm going to go the Windows 7 route, which means sucking it up and buying another license.

But my main server is on a Lion system, and Lion has horribly broken SMB. At least, it's broken when I try to use it with Linux. Does the Plex client on Win 7 require working SMB, or is it all streamed through port 32400 via a private protocol? Or maybe Win 7 CIFS works with Lion SMB?

#6 mtehonica

mtehonica

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

I have an Asrock Ion3D which I've loaded with win7 and winPlex client and it's working pretty well. A few problems with the Harmony remote but pretty good for the most part.

#7 Balthisar

Balthisar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

Just to bring closure to this thread, it's working absolutely perfectly on my Zotac, including hardware decoding.

The only disadvantage is the Windows license. I have one more HTPC front-end to build, so I'll consider another Zotac versus Mac Mini before then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users