10 replies to this topic

#1 ken12010

ken12010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

Hello,

First of all love the direction plex is heading looking better and better each release...

Now was wondering if anyone has looked at the Ceton InfiniTV card and usb device saw it, and said wow this would be sweet, as ether on the back end of the plex server where you could stream to 4 different plex clients or the usb connected to a client. There wasn't any info on this cable card as far as support for mac but i did see that they have drivers for linux, maybe this could be better answer to streaming live tv with full dvr functions outside of evetv. would love to hear what ppl think about this..

Thanks in advance

#2 ianken

ianken

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:27 AM

Hello,

First of all love the direction plex is heading looking better and better each release...

Now was wondering if anyone has looked at the Ceton InfiniTV card and usb device saw it, and said wow this would be sweet, as ether on the back end of the plex server where you could stream to 4 different plex clients or the usb connected to a client. There wasn't any info on this cable card as far as support for mac but i did see that they have drivers for linux, maybe this could be better answer to streaming live tv with full dvr functions outside of evetv. would love to hear what ppl think about this..

Thanks in advance

To do the CableCard tuner Plex would need to be a DRM licensee from MSFT. This is required by CableLabs. That's just the tip of the iceberg. No DRM, no CablCard. Full Stop. I would LOVE to see it.

They could conceivably do in the clear TV without it. But that's of limited appeal, they might as well just go with generic BDA ATSC/Clear QAM support.

THAT SAID: TV is a BITCH. Trust me. Plex is used by folks all over the world. Shipping a TV client that works with the hodge podge of global TV standards and regulatory requirements is a ticket on the pain train. Shipping in the UK? Better support MHEG. Japan? More DRM fun and BML support. It's a rat-hole of requirements and a tower specification documents tall enough to kill someone if it fell on them.

Fun!

#3 ken12010

ken12010

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

To do the CableCard tuner Plex would need to be a DRM licensee from MSFT. This is required by CableLabs. That's just the tip of the iceberg. No DRM, no CablCard. Full Stop. I would LOVE to see it.

They could conceivably do in the clear TV without it. But that's of limited appeal, they might as well just go with generic BDA ATSC/Clear QAM support.

THAT SAID: TV is a BITCH. Trust me. Plex is used by folks all over the world. Shipping a TV client that works with the hodge podge of global TV standards and regulatory requirements is a ticket on the pain train. Shipping in the UK? Better support MHEG. Japan? More DRM fun and BML support. It's a rat-hole of requirements and a tower specification documents tall enough to kill someone if it fell on them.

Fun!

OHH MAN. See i Was thinking/hoping that with the cisco or Motorola tuning adaptors would have handled the DRM & SDV encryption issues and with that would have given us the possiblitiy to use plex..

Thanks for the fast reply

#4 ianken

ianken

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:24 AM

OHH MAN. See i Was thinking/hoping that with the cisco or Motorola tuning adaptors would have handled the DRM & SDV encryption issues and with that would have given us the possiblitiy to use plex..

Thanks for the fast reply

Ohhh. Tuning Adapters. That makes it EVEN WORSE. They don't do the crypto. They just tell the head end to put a service on a particular frequency and then notify the STB or Media Center PC where it can be found.

Tuning Adapters are the spawn of Satan.

If the Plex guys want to do CableCard they should speak directly with Ceton Corp. Ceton is small, and they are generally super cool.

#5 ByteKnight

ByteKnight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

If the Plex guys want to do CableCard they should speak directly with Ceton Corp. Ceton is small, and they are generally super cool.

Hay All - Well I am building my HTPC using Plex Windows Server and a Ceton InfiniTV 4 Digital Cable Quad-tuner Card PCIe (Now $200 was $400) I have rented the CableCard from ComCast here in Atlanta and should have it installed fully in a few days.

This is running on a 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate OS (Quad Core 3.5MHz AMD/8GB RAM Radeon 512MB GPU running Plex Server and Windows Media Center (WMC). I am using Roku XS Angry Birds Edition (1080P Mode) as my end points (2 working great so far) to run Plex (Beta) as well as putting Plex Player on 7 Computers 7 Android tablets and 1 iPad (I have 8 kids!).

I am now looking to get both Recorded shows and Live Streams of real-time Cable news and shows through Plex on the Roku or a Channel on the Roku to all those endpoints - and I do not care if it is a HACK, at this point I am paying for cable and should have that feature and would like to know of any CHANNEL that would give me access or if you know if the Plex or Roku would support DLNA so I can feed it out via WMC or a WMC Channel?

Once I have this done I can return 6 Cable Boxes and it will pay for itself quickly!

Software:  Plex (PMS) Version 0.9.8.14.263.X - Sick Beard (TV) - Couch Potato (Movies) - MCEBuddy (CTV) - Sabnzbd (NNTP) - HeadPhones (Music)

Server OS: Windows Ultimate 64bit SP1 - WEI = 4.7 - Windows Media Center supporting Ceton InfiniTV4 Quad (ComCast Atlanta - 900 Channels)

Hardware: MSI 870U-G55 MB (MS-7599) - 8GB RAM - 1600 MHZ - AMD Athlon II Quad Core 645 CPU - MSI Nvidia N520GT (CUDA) - DVD/BluRay Writer w/M-Disk Support

Sorage: 500GB Boot - 6TB Internal Storage - 3TB Backup

Network: Netgear WNDR3700V2 Router (Running WRT) - ZyXEL GS1100-16 (Wire speed Switch)
Clients: x5 Roku - x3 Samsung (BluRay/TV) - x2 iPad - x7 iPhone - x2 Android - x7 Windows Clients!

#6 dewd

dewd

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

Hay All - Well I am building my HTPC using Plex Windows Server and a Ceton InfiniTV 4 Digital Cable Quad-tuner Card PCIe (Now $200 was $400) I have rented the CableCard from ComCast here in Atlanta and should have it installed fully in a few days.

This is running on a 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate OS (Quad Core 3.5MHz AMD/8GB RAM Radeon 512MB GPU running Plex Server and Windows Media Center (WMC). I am using Roku XS Angry Birds Edition (1080P Mode) as my end points (2 working great so far) to run Plex (Beta) as well as putting Plex Player on 7 Computers 7 Android tablets and 1 iPad (I have 8 kids!).

I am now looking to get both Recorded shows and Live Streams of real-time Cable news and shows through Plex on the Roku or a Channel on the Roku to all those endpoints - and I do not care if it is a HACK, at this point I am paying for cable and should have that feature and would like to know of any CHANNEL that would give me access or if you know if the Plex or Roku would support DLNA so I can feed it out via WMC or a WMC Channel?

Once I have this done I can return 6 Cable Boxes and it will pay for itself quickly!

I'm looking to do something similar. I'm thinking about getting two Ceton Infinity cards and a couple Ceton Echos (when they are released). That will cover my TV needs in my house. The icing on the cake would be integration with PLEX so I could watch my shows when I travel.

#7 ByteKnight

ByteKnight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 03:38 AM

Hello,

Any news on this solution - are we posting in the right section?

HTPC Setup
Plex Server (PMS) 0.9.5.3
Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad CableCARD (ComCast Atlanta MultiStream) Tuner (All 900 Stations Show Up!)
Windows Ultimate 64bit SP1 (MS Media Center is my interface to the InfiniTV and works great!)
MSI 870U-G55 Motherboard (MS-7599)^
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 645 Processor (OC to 3.51GHz)
8GB RAM Corsair XMS3 (2x4) 1600 MHZ
ATI Radeon HD 5450 (512MB Video Memory)
Storage 500GB 7200 Boot - x3 2TB 5400 Baracuda in Raid 0 Storage
Netgear WNDR 3700 Wireless Router (Updated with WRT)
x4 Roku XS (AB Version) - x1 iPad APP - x2 Android App - x5 Plex Windows Clients

Software:  Plex (PMS) Version 0.9.8.14.263.X - Sick Beard (TV) - Couch Potato (Movies) - MCEBuddy (CTV) - Sabnzbd (NNTP) - HeadPhones (Music)

Server OS: Windows Ultimate 64bit SP1 - WEI = 4.7 - Windows Media Center supporting Ceton InfiniTV4 Quad (ComCast Atlanta - 900 Channels)

Hardware: MSI 870U-G55 MB (MS-7599) - 8GB RAM - 1600 MHZ - AMD Athlon II Quad Core 645 CPU - MSI Nvidia N520GT (CUDA) - DVD/BluRay Writer w/M-Disk Support

Sorage: 500GB Boot - 6TB Internal Storage - 3TB Backup

Network: Netgear WNDR3700V2 Router (Running WRT) - ZyXEL GS1100-16 (Wire speed Switch)
Clients: x5 Roku - x3 Samsung (BluRay/TV) - x2 iPad - x7 iPhone - x2 Android - x7 Windows Clients!

#8 mmoore5553

mmoore5553

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:42 AM

Has anyone got this to work. I really want to get rid of the dvr in two rooms and would love to have this working with the infinitv card. I have a roku i wish to stream it to.

#9 Bob57702

Bob57702

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

Hello,

Any news on this solution - are we posting in the right section?

HTPC Setup
Plex Server (PMS) 0.9.5.3
Ceton InfiniTV 4 Quad CableCARD (ComCast Atlanta MultiStream) Tuner (All 900 Stations Show Up!)
Windows Ultimate 64bit SP1 (MS Media Center is my interface to the InfiniTV and works great!)
MSI 870U-G55 Motherboard (MS-7599)^
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 645 Processor (OC to 3.51GHz)
8GB RAM Corsair XMS3 (2x4) 1600 MHZ
ATI Radeon HD 5450 (512MB Video Memory)
Storage 500GB 7200 Boot - x3 2TB 5400 Baracuda in Raid 0 Storage
Netgear WNDR 3700 Wireless Router (Updated with WRT)
x4 Roku XS (AB Version) - x1 iPad APP - x2 Android App - x5 Plex Windows Clients

Were you able to get this configuration working? I'm wanting to do the same type of thing just without all of the mobile devices (and kids ;).

#10 tallnerd1985

tallnerd1985

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Hi guys/girls, I just wanted to chime in on this subject. A lot of misconceptions have recently occurred since the launch of XBMC Frodo which the newest Plex Home Theater is based off in a way. It did bring Live TV/PVR functionality as a frontend but there is no official backend for XBMC for TV tuning capabilities. So far, MythTV, TVHeadend and NextPVR are the leading backends for XBMC but they still have a lot of work to be done to be fully stable. If the Dev team behind Plex decides to add Live TV functionality then it would be a huge undertaking so they probably would be better off with the permission of the other projects to incorporate their work into the Plex Media Server.
Alpha Tester for Android Plex Client

Android vs iPhone vs Blackberry vs Windows Phone vs Brew
"It really doesn't matter how much better you think you are for the the phone you carry, it still won't get you laid"

#11 zukdj

zukdj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

So, my question is slightly different, I was thinking about getting rid of my DVR on FIOS. I would purchase a Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH which is a 6 channel QAM tuner to replace it's job in my home. The question I have is can I record channels on my computer and add them to PLEX and actually watch them via my ROKu's and the PLEX app in ROKU? I am not concerned with live TV as will keep my basic service but I would like to use the DVR through my computer for more control and sharing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users