33 replies to this topic

#1 gizm0

gizm0

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:59 PM

Title says it all really, I noticed that my mac would sit with its fan spinning all the time since upgrading to Laika. Checked activity monitor and Plex never drops below 40% and often reaches up to 70%. this is with no media playing, or anything else happening for that matter.

As soon as I quit Plex the fan kicks off and everything goes back to normal.

Cheers.

#2 gizm0

gizm0

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

One more quick thing, It seems that its only high when Plex if left sitting on one of the homescreen items which includes the slideshow in the background. As soon as I move to another section (enter one of the preference menus for instance) and allow it to idle there; the CPU settles down at somewhere around 7-12%

#3 killerpuppy

killerpuppy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

I have the exact same problem with my Mac Mini Mid 2011 i5 with 8 GB ram.

I have NEVER heard my fans spinning before, untill i installed Laika.

I dont mind the fans spinning or anything, but this is a pedal-to-the-metal vacuum cleaner level of spinning.
Oh, i am using latest Lion btw, not Snow Leopard

Update: Now that i am checking Activity Monitor/systemPal, and i am getting the following info:

1) Running EyeTv with big window HD+ Plex media server only
CPU: User 30% Idle 53% Temperature: 84 Celcius Fan Speed 1803 rpm

2) Running eyetv with minimized window + Plex Media Server and Plex Client
CPU: User 30% Idle 55% Temperature: 66 Celcius Fan Speed 5514 rpm <----- is that a bug in plex client?

#4 celestian02b

celestian02b

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:40 PM

I have the exact same problem with my Mac Mini Mid 2011 i5 with 8 GB ram.

I have NEVER heard my fans spinning before, untill i installed Laika.

Same here. I second that the the two times I have heard that was when my client was not displayed on another desktop.

TV: Sony KDL-55W905 Sound: Sonos Playbar, SUB & 2xPlay1 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate 

HTPC: Mac Mini 2001 - i5 2.3Ghz, 8GB w/ PHT & PMS | Storage: Synology 1512+ w/ DSM 4.3

#5 djlevar

djlevar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

Same issue for me with a 2011 macmini.

Please update Laika, this version is awesome but I can't use it with the fans noise.

#6 djlevar

djlevar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Anyone else?
Any tips for this issue?

#7 tbluemel

tbluemel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:34 PM

My CPU usage is above 30% and in the past PLEX burnt my Mini i7 while having a stopped media (pause mode).
Now without a loaded file it makes CPU-Load and a lot of noise.
Without Plex there is about 4% (incl. VM) usage.

:unsure: :blink: :(

#8 duran_dal

duran_dal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

Same problem here, 30-40% when standing in a list of episodes for example.

I often use a second space with a browser to check IMDB and stuff. When Plex is in a list I can't use a browser at all anymore, it's so slow.

However, when I start a movie I can easily switch space and start browsing IMDB.

BUT, here's the interesting part. The CPU is still going at 30-40% when the movie is playing.

My guess that it uses OpenGL in the lists and that taxes both GPU and CPU, thus the even slower performance.

This is however not a Laika specific problem, it occurred, to a lesser degree, in 0.9.3.4 as well.

Macmini 3,1, Late 2009, 4GB RAM Snow Leopard 10.6.8
Clean install of Laika without local library

PMS on Linux (Ubuntu 11.04)

PMS and Plex Home Theater- 1.0.9.180 on Macmini 6,2, Late 2012, 16GB RAM, 2.6 GHz i7, Mountain Lion 10.8.4
PMS on homebrew Linux box, Late 2012, 8 GB RAM, i5 3570K 3.4GHz 6MB Ivy, Debian Linux 6 - 64bit
Plex Home Theater 1.0.9.180 on MacBookPro11,3, Late 2013, 2.6 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, Mavericks 10.9.1

Plex Home Theater 1.0.9.180 on Macmini 3,1, Late 2009, 4GB RAM 2.26GHz, Snow Leopard 10.6.8

iOS Client on iPad 2nd and 3rd gen
iOS Client on iPhone 4S and 3GS

#9 harryb

harryb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:30 PM

I had a similar problem - think I've worked round it for now by turning off Dim in screensaver. Setting to black screen instead doesn't seem to cause the fans to fire up.

#10 mwroobel

mwroobel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

This is a pretty standard issue with Plex, and xbmc as well on which the player is based.

#11 killerpuppy

killerpuppy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

This is a pretty standard issue with Plex, and xbmc as well on which the player is based.

The player is not even running..i think?..for me i get the problem when the client GUI is just started..
i dont think ffmpeg is being used at that point?

#12 gizm0

gizm0

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:51 PM

Its never been an issue for me before Laika.

#13 mwroobel

mwroobel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

The player is not even running..i think?..for me i get the problem when the client GUI is just started..
i dont think ffmpeg is being used at that point?

Doesn't matter. Just sitting there is doing a lot. For more info:

http://forum.xbmc.or...ad.php?t=102260
http://forum.xbmc.or...ead.php?t=68115
http://forum.xbmc.or...?t=54474&page=7

#14 killerpuppy

killerpuppy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

Doesn't matter. Just sitting there is doing a lot. For more info:

http://forum.xbmc.or...ad.php?t=102260
http://forum.xbmc.or...ead.php?t=68115
http://forum.xbmc.or...?t=54474&page=7

Actually, if i turn off my TV (1080p plasma to which the mini is connected with via a HDMI cable) and then login via VNC and start Plex Laika client, then
the fan never exceeds 2000rpm. Everything is fine.
But if i start the TV (and start using the HDMI output via Mac Mini) then the fan immediately starts to spin out of control (>4000 rpm)
I have a feeling that if i start to use DVI output using a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter , the problem will be gone..maybe..

Update: Now i tried with minidisplayport also, the problem is still there..

#15 drnibbles

drnibbles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:10 PM

I have the same issue. When doing nothing it sits on 30% and does nothing. Leave it like this and the fans kick in.

#16 kappaknight

kappaknight

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:11 AM

This thing is making the computer unusable now. Typing in any text fields (i.e. browser, Vuze, anything) is slooooooow. Dragging files around is slow as well.

Are there groups of settings we can change to calm this app down? Honestly team, as much as I appreciate improvements, there's no need to make what was a great player into bloatware. I don't need fancy rotating backgrounds on the main menu. It doesn't really enhance my experiences with it at all. I just want simple, fast, and small so I can get to my media quickly. The ultimate goal here is media, not scrolling through the interface.
TheVideosDB metadata agent is the easiest way to create, manage, and backup metadata for your home videos. Sign-up now to organize your media library.

#17 loop_1

loop_1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

on my macmini 2011 the cpu usage is low, about 10-15%, but the temperature reach 90°C!!! I think that the problem can be in the apple firmware update. I have installed the update and plex laica the same day....
TV: Pioneer Kuro KRP-500A ISF - Ampli: Pioneer VSX-LX52 - Front: B&W 684 - Rear: B&W CWM650 - Center: B&W HTM61 SW: B&W ASW610 - BluRay: BDP-LX52 - Media Center: Apple MacMini Aluminium i5/2.3/4GB/500GB/Plex - Remote: Logitech Harmony One
Bedroom: Samsung 32" FullHD + Apple TV 2G with Plex
Studio: iMac 27" 2011 i7/16GB/1TB
Iphone 3GS + Iphone 4 + iPad 1G

#18 davrosuk

davrosuk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:40 AM

I've noticed this too. When I'm actively browsing through my library its fine - but if I leave it for a while, when Plex dims the display the fans spin up and CPU use goes up. Seems rather odd - can I not disable the 'dimming' feature?

#19 lundh

lundh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

I've noticed this, too. Hope there's a cure...

#20 harryb

harryb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

Try changing screen saver from Dim to Black.

Preferences -> System -> Screen Saver -> Screen Saver Mode = Black

Is that not working for anyone else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users