• Please log in to reply
122 replies to this topic

#101 woodfello

woodfello

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

Hi woodfellow, sorry for the extremely slow reply. You can change the font size in the 'font.xml' of the 720p folder at line 138 - the tag should be under the OSD section.

Thanks for the tip. much appreciated

Dave

#102 Drumm1n

Drumm1n

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:27 PM

Request for user selectable fonts

Reddragon220, great skin! I'm a committed user now and pretty happy with all the added features along the way.

One request: user selectable fonts, both typeface and size, for either ALL or for specified menus. Why? While the overall look of Quicksilver is gorgeous, the helvetica-esque font (and in my case of a 110" screen, the overly large size) can spoil the look with what is by the far the most common and mundane font in the known universe! Recognizing that fonts are a personal aesthetic, and that substituting fonts willy-nilly can cause rendering issues, I suggest providing 6 built-in alternatives to the default (say, 4 very stylistic, 2 more commonplace), that are user selectable in skin preferences, all tested and known to render correctly. You've probably already come across at a lot of open source fonts in selecting the current set. I'd volunteer to provide a few sets if that's helpful (open source or royalty free of course).

I already did some font substitute testing simply by renaming one of my preferred fonts to one of the default fonts (like texgyreheroscn-regular.otf) in the skin's font directory. The improvement was remarkable. I could go further and edit font.xml to point to my own font sets but that would be a lot of work and will break next time you update the font.xml file. So this kind of hack approach isn't robust and certainly won't be for everyone. But trust me, fancy fonts will take Quicksilver from an 8 to a 10+ in look/feel department.

Anyway, thanks for considering!

One suggestion for all of us who would like to be able to by-pass the sub-menus when entering the various media libraries: make your thoughts known to the Plex developers. IMHO, the sub-menu is an annoyance that totally disrupts the flow of the user experience - the equivalent of dropping us down into the 'file system'. My preferred behavior would be to default to "All Items" when entering a library, going straight to that view. Then, a move to the farthest left would bring up the sub-menu. Once the user selected a new filter, then that view would become the new default view when entering that library the next time, until changed again by the user. This is similar to how Boxee implemented sub-menus. Of course, by adding a switch in the Preferences, users could toggle between the current behavior (always show sub-menus) or this new behavior of defaulting to last selected view. Best of both worlds, consistent across all skins.

Cheers,

drumm1n
  • nomad100 likes this

#103 BeFrankie

BeFrankie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hi Reddragon220,

I'm using your latest Quicksilver skin at the moment. Thank you for the great skin!

Is it just me or is there a little bug at the homescreen "On Deck" section ? - If I select the first movie and go to the right the title stays.
If I go one section deeper it works fine with the selection of new titles.
  • spunkiverse likes this

#104 Reddragon220

Reddragon220

Skinning God

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 04:28 PM

Request for user selectable fonts

Reddragon220, great skin! I'm a committed user now and pretty happy with all the added features along the way.

One request: user selectable fonts, both typeface and size, for either ALL or for specified menus. Why? While the overall look of Quicksilver is gorgeous, the helvetica-esque font (and in my case of a 110" screen, the overly large size) can spoil the look with what is by the far the most common and mundane font in the known universe! Recognizing that fonts are a personal aesthetic, and that substituting fonts willy-nilly can cause rendering issues, I suggest providing 6 built-in alternatives to the default (say, 4 very stylistic, 2 more commonplace), that are user selectable in skin preferences, all tested and known to render correctly. You've probably already come across at a lot of open source fonts in selecting the current set. I'd volunteer to provide a few sets if that's helpful (open source or royalty free of course).

I already did some font substitute testing simply by renaming one of my preferred fonts to one of the default fonts (like texgyreheroscn-regular.otf) in the skin's font directory. The improvement was remarkable. I could go further and edit font.xml to point to my own font sets but that would be a lot of work and will break next time you update the font.xml file. So this kind of hack approach isn't robust and certainly won't be for everyone. But trust me, fancy fonts will take Quicksilver from an 8 to a 10+ in look/feel department.

I'm certainly open to including additional fonts in Quicksilver Drumm1n! The right typeface can certainly make all of the difference and I spent a very long time deciding on Helvetica Neue when I first began designing the project. Of course back then it wasn't quite as pervasive and abused as it is now. You certainly do not have to worry about font.xml being changed. The 30 font definitions in the default font set are more or less baked into the skin and I have no intentions of changing them in either the short or long term. In fact, I'd encourage you to define your own fontsets there and post the results here as a mod that I could easily steal and include with the official release ;) . If you need any help understanding the code I would be more than happy to give you pointers.

Some quick advice in bullet point form:
  • Any fonts included with the skin must be both royalty free and freely distributable.
  • Unicode support is necessary to support our non-english speaking friends.
  • Quicksilver takes advantage of font weighting to differentiate information so a bold variant is a necessity.
  • Condensed width fonts are preferred to strike a balance between legibility and showing enough information in the item information areas of the skin.
  • .ttf or otf to ensure that it works on both windows and mac os x

User selectable font sizes are not something natively supported by Plex so additional font sets within Font.xml would have to be defined and tested. It's not impossible, but it is a bit of a time sink just to check that nothing in the skin is broken.

So in short I would strongly urge you to modify Fonts.xml and post your results here on the forum as a quicksilver mod. That would be the fastest way to get your suggestion included in the official release as it's the least amount of work on my end. But certainly feel free to suggest alternative font sets that satisfy the aforementioned requirements listed above and I'll take a look at them when I get a free moment.

One suggestion for all of us who would like to be able to by-pass the sub-menus when entering the various media libraries: make your thoughts known to the Plex developers. IMHO, the sub-menu is an annoyance that totally disrupts the flow of the user experience - the equivalent of dropping us down into the 'file system'. My preferred behavior would be to default to "All Items" when entering a library, going straight to that view. Then, a move to the farthest left would bring up the sub-menu. Once the user selected a new filter, then that view would become the new default view when entering that library the next time, until changed again by the user. This is similar to how Boxee implemented sub-menus. Of course, by adding a switch in the Preferences, users could toggle between the current behavior (always show sub-menus) or this new behavior of defaulting to last selected view. Best of both worlds, consistent across all skins.

I've been a vocal advocate for removing that secondary menu that you're describing but unfortunately the UX of the program is out of my control. In my opinion the less clicks needed to get to the library and see your content the better and if I could rig the skin to immediately jump to the "All Items" immediately from the home menu I would. Unfortunately the dev team has been particularly stubborn about the secondary menu and there's nothing I can do. One day I'll convince them to relegate it to a contextual menu action...

Hi Reddragon220,

I'm using your latest Quicksilver skin at the moment. Thank you for the great skin!

Is it just me or is there a little bug at the homescreen "On Deck" section ? - If I select the first movie and go to the right the title stays.
If I go one section deeper it works fine with the selection of new titles.

Hm, that is a bug - Thanks for pointing that out!
  • spunkiverse likes this

#105 BeFrankie

BeFrankie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

I found the "Quartz" skin and perhaps there are a few ideas to take over at the Quicksilver skin:

1. QUARTZ - support thread
http://forum.xbmc.or....php?tid=101319

2. Quartz - screenshots
http://forum.xbmc.or....php?tid=115993

Please keep up your great work !

#106 shortcuttomoncton

shortcuttomoncton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

How is this skin installed? It looks great, but there is no Plex folder within ~/Library/Application Support (and obviously no Addons subfolder in it). Should I create those folders manually, or.....? What am I missing?

I'm on the latest versions of Plex and Mountain Lion.

#107 BeFrankie

BeFrankie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

How is this skin installed? It looks great, but there is no Plex folder within ~/Library/Application Support (and obviously no Addons subfolder in it). Should I create those folders manually, or.....? What am I missing?

I'm on the latest versions of Plex and Mountain Lion.

At 10.8.2 you have to look at:

./Applications/Plex (open this package, right click at the icon)/Contents/Resources/Plex/addons

rename the skin folder to "skin.quicksilver" and copy this folder at your addons folder.

Close everything and open up the plex client. You should see a new Skin "Quicksilver" at the drop-down menu.

#108 go_mustangs

go_mustangs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

Good Morning,

I've been trying Plex/Quicksilver after getting frustrated with my windows media center / media browser set up and so far I think I'll be staying with Plex/Quicksilver.  I would however like to change my menu screens if possible but I'm not sure how to do it.  What I'd like in place of the fan art slideshow is a specific image for "Movies" (like the inside of a movie theater) a specific image for "TV Shows" (like a image of a flat screen home theater set up) and so on.  More than anything else, I want to get rid of that tv with a dog in it.  Can someone please direct me on how to get this done.  

Also, I don't believe I have the most up to date version of quicksilver, can someone please direct me to the most current version.

Thanks in advance for your help.

#109 Reddragon220

Reddragon220

Skinning God

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hi go_mustangs,

Unfortunately you cannot specify a background image for each individual section at this time. You can specify your own background for the main menu by going to Preferences->Quicksilver->Custom Background and then disabling fanart. However this will disable all fanart backgrounds throughout the skin. Unfortunately, the TV with a dog in it is hardcoded by the Plex team into the application and there's nothing I can do to alter it - sorry about that. 

The latest version of Quicksilver can always be downloaded at https://github.com/r.../zipball/master.

Hope you enjoy the skin! :D

#110 Ismelda

Ismelda

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Well you can change the icon for the Section even though they are hard coded:

TV Shows: Animation
FM005.jpg
Movies
FM006.jpg
TV Shows: Anime
FM007.jpg
TV Shows
FM008.jpg

I just fiddled a bit with another skin and found where to change and add new icons for my own sections.

My Movies(alt)-Series(alt)-Animes(alt)
PMS: QNAP 809 Pro (x3) | QNAP 879 Pro | QNAP 1079 Pro
PHT: Windows 7 - RARflix: Roku 2XS - Plex for Android: Nexus 7 (2013)
I love Plex!

#111 go_mustangs

go_mustangs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:14 PM

Reddragon, thank you for the wonderful work you've done on this and for the reply.

Ismelda, thanks for the reply....that's what I'm looking for...how did you do it?

#112 Ismelda

Ismelda

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:41 PM

Well the Skin I did it on already had some different icons for the TV  Shows and Movies. It was a simple matter of finding where the pictures where used and add my on pictures for each of my sections.

The skin is the Fusion Migma

The xml to change was the home.xml (as it is the main UI).

But I guess you can ask me more about that on this skin thread to not cannibalize this one.

My Movies(alt)-Series(alt)-Animes(alt)
PMS: QNAP 809 Pro (x3) | QNAP 879 Pro | QNAP 1079 Pro
PHT: Windows 7 - RARflix: Roku 2XS - Plex for Android: Nexus 7 (2013)
I love Plex!

#113 nomad100

nomad100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

was any progress ever made with being able to change fonts? For me it's not that it needs to be a different font i just want the option to change size.

#114 BeFrankie

BeFrankie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

@Reddragon220: I have a new idea source for you:

The skin/GUI of http://boxeeplus.com/

Perhaps you will find some features of the boxee skin to add at your skin.

#115 mlewisclark

mlewisclark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

"Information Pane Media Flags" doesn't work in PHT (works fine in PMC).  Not a huge issue, but if it's an easy fix would be nice to get it working again?  Thanks for the great skin!

#116 Oregon68

Oregon68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

hello... currently my media server is a Windows XP system. where would i install this skin? i'm not seeing any folder named "C:\Program Files (x86)\Plex\Plex Media Center\addon" do i have to create the addon folder?

sorry if this sounds like a lame question. any help would be great!

Plex Media Server 0.9.9.10.458 running on Windows XP (for now) - viewing Plex via Roku 2 XD and Roku 3

#117 ChakaBear

ChakaBear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:46 PM

Im using the latest PHT and quicksilver does not work.

#118 dlanor

dlanor

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1128 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 12:20 AM

Im using the latest PHT and quicksilver does not work.

That's simply because this skin is not intended for that application.

PHT == "Plex Home Theater" and is not the same thing as PMC == "Plex Media Center"

PMC is a much older client, which is why it has more skinning support than PHT, and many more usable skins.

On the other hand, PMC is a frozen client, as the design goal is for PHT to replace it.

For PHT I think there are only two official skins ('Plex' and 'MediaStream') and two unofficial skins ('Night' and 'Amber').

But take care if looking for those unofficial skins, so that you really get versions designed for current PHT.

Custom versions (at least of Amber) have also been made for other apps/platforms, such as PMC and PlexBMC.

Best regards: dlanor

#119 u6s68

u6s68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

Still no luck getting this installed on Lion. I have no add-on folder in my library.

#120 u6s68

u6s68

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

At 10.8.2 you have to look at:

./Applications/Plex (open this package, right click at the icon)/Contents/Resources/Plex/addons

rename the skin folder to "skin.quicksilver" and copy this folder at your addons folder.

Close everything and open up the plex client. You should see a new Skin "Quicksilver" at the drop-down menu.

Hi Frankie. Maybe you can help me too.

I followed instructions on where to put Quicksilver but my pathway is slightly different:

~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Centre/Content/Resources ... and then no Addon folder???

I am running Lion. Any ideas?