57 replies to this topic

#1 scyber

scyber

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

So I've create a test Plex channel to (hopefully) make 5.1 work for Roku2 models. The Roku1 models don't seem to support ac3 over hls. I have a question out to roku on their dev forum about it.

As for what I have. I've confirmed that the pms is outputting a 6 channel ac-3 audio track (from an mkv with DTS), and that the r2 plays back fine on my TV (in stereo, obviously). Unfortunately, I don't have a hdmi compatible receiver, so i have no way to test that all 6 channels of the audio is working. I'd like someone to test it out before I submit the pull request to merge my code into the main code base.

Any volunteers? Note that I will only be posting the zip file (not a private channel), so your Roku will need to be in dev mode to upload & test it. You will also need the Roku Audio settings set to "5.1" in order for it to work.

#2 samukas

samukas

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Sorry scyber! I do not have a 5.1 setup either so I will not be able to test this, but if it works this is great news for the channel, congrats :D

Current Plex Setup:
1x Synology DS3612xs

1x iPad 3rd Generation 16GB

1x Roku LT

1x PlexBMC Client

#3 Alan Morgan

Alan Morgan

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

Likewise, I don't have a 5.1 setup to test this, either. Thanks for contributing, however!
Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

Posted Image

#4 jkasyan

jkasyan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:22 AM

I'm game.

#5 Jonny Wray

Jonny Wray

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1325 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for looking into this. FYI, I was told a while back on the Roku forums that the 3.0 firmware for the Roku1 would support 5.1 over HLS. Don't know if it actually does.

Jonny

#6 scyber

scyber

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for looking into this. FYI, I was told a while back on the Roku forums that the 3.0 firmware for the Roku1 would support 5.1 over HLS. Don't know if it actually does.

Jonny

Yeah, I actually bumped your thread on the dev forum to confirm whether 3.x supports it. As far as I can tell the 3.x roku just hangs while buffering the stream. 4.x Roku's seem to play it fine.

#7 scyber

scyber

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

I'm game.

Cool. The zip file is attached to this post. Here are the steps for testing:

1) Activate dev mode if you haven't already. On the Roku home screen press Home 3x, Up 2x, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right
2) Change audio settings to 5.1.
3) Go to the IP address of your roku in your browser and upload the zip file.

once the zip file is uploaded, the roku should launch the channel automatically. Try and play a 5.1 file and let us know if it works. I'm 99% sure everything is working ok, I just want to verify.

When you are done, you can disable dev mode by using the same remote sequence list in #1 above.

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files

• Attached File  Plex.zip   217.23KB   148 downloads

#8 EddieA

EddieA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:27 AM

Try and play a 5.1 file and let us know if it works.

How do I really tell if this is working or not.

My files are encoded with 2 sound streams, AC3 5.1 and AAC Stereo. With the original Plex client, I could play either stream, and to be honest, the AC3 one always sounded much better.

With this version, I can also play both streams, and really can't tell any difference. Maybe the films I have aren't using a great deal of surround. Who knows.

**Update**
Maybe I should read a little more carefully.

I think my Roku is still classed a V1, even though it was the 2nd version they brought out.

By Roku2, I'm assuming you mean the ones released very recently.

Cheers.

#9 jkasyan

jkasyan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:47 AM

So... The little dolby light is on on my reciever! Huzzah! But no sound is coming from the rear channels. Boo.

How can I help you debug? I've tried quite a few files.

#10 scyber

scyber

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:21 PM

How do I really tell if this is working or not.

My files are encoded with 2 sound streams, AC3 5.1 and AAC Stereo. With the original Plex client, I could play either stream, and to be honest, the AC3 one always sounded much better.

With this version, I can also play both streams, and really can't tell any difference. Maybe the films I have aren't using a great deal of surround. Who knows.

**Update**
Maybe I should read a little more carefully.

I think my Roku is still classed a V1, even though it was the 2nd version they brought out.

By Roku2, I'm assuming you mean the ones released very recently.

Cheers.

Yes, the 1st 3 revisions of the roku hardware are considered Roku 1. The are all basically the same internally and all run the same firmware (3.x). The newest hardware revision is considered Roku 2 and they run the 4.x firmware. The code update I made should transcode 5.1 audio streams to 2 channel aac for the older hardware. Just like it was doing before.

#11 scyber

scyber

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

So... The little dolby light is on on my reciever! Huzzah! But no sound is coming from the rear channels. Boo.

How can I help you debug? I've tried quite a few files.

can you run mediainfo on one of the file segments to see what the audio output is?

Mediainfo can be found here:
http://mediainfo.sou...net/en/Download

The file segments are stored in a temp file. On windows 7 those files are located in directories like this:

c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\plex-transcode-*\

Not sure offhand where it is in OSX, but I assume you could search for a "plex-transcode-" folder. In that folder those should be a number of .ts files. Run one of them through mediainfo and let me know what the audio info says. I just want to make sure it is 6 channel audio. I'll look to see if there is more info on transcoding to ac3 in plex to see if I missed an option.

#12 scyber

scyber

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

Also, one other comment. I know some receivers can set each input to only output stereo sound even if they get a 5.1 signal. Just check and make sure that isn't set on your receiver. I assume its not, but worth a look.

I really need to upgrade my receiver to HDMI. It would make testing this alot easier :)

#13 EddieA

EddieA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:35 AM

Yes, the 1st 3 revisions of the roku hardware are considered Roku 1. The are all basically the same internally and all run the same firmware (3.x). The newest hardware revision is considered Roku 2 and they run the 4.x firmware. The code update I made should transcode 5.1 audio streams to 2 channel aac for the older hardware. Just like it was doing before.

Ah ha. I see.

So, what if anything, can use the 5.1 setting, over optical/HDMI. Or is that what you are following up on the Roku forums.

Cheers.

#14 jkasyan

jkasyan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:25 AM

First audio stream:
English, 576 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 16 bits, 6 channels, AC-3

The 5.1 is working with other sources.

#15 scyber

scyber

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

Ah ha. I see.

So, what if anything, can use the 5.1 setting, over optical/HDMI. Or is that what you are following up on the Roku forums.

Cheers.

I know Amazon video supports 5.1 on the Roku1. I'm not sure what else does.

#16 scyber

scyber

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

First audio stream:
English, 576 Kbps, 48.0 KHz, 16 bits, 6 channels, AC-3

The 5.1 is working with other sources.

Well, at lest we know PMS is transcoding it to 6 channels. Unfortunately I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm hoping someone else with a Roku 2 can test and let us know if they also have issues with the rear channels.

Thanks for your help. I'll update this thread if I figure out anything else.

#17 Jonny Wray

Jonny Wray

Plex Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1325 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:13 PM

Did you check with Elan to make sure changing the audioDecoders capabilities to ac3 was enough to force PMS to send 5.1 in ac3 format? I honestly don't know but I could imaging there are other options.

Jonny

#18 scyber

scyber

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

No. But both jkasyan and I ran mediainfo on the transcoded ts files and the audio track is definitely reported as 6 channel ac3. Now it is possible that another capabilities setting needs to be sent. That is what I am looking into now.

#19 DawtCom

DawtCom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

I wanted to add my two cents. I have a DENON Receiver and I am running HDMI into it from this dev channel you have created. I now show on my receiver 5.1 input and 5.1 output whereas the old version I would show PMS 2 channel and 5.1 output (reciever simulates to dts 6 / DD). So far it is sounding great.. But will let you know upon further testing and let you know any discrepencies. I found this as a major weakness in my eye but now with 5.1 working I am all pumped again. If you don't mind I am curious as to the technical solution of this. I can send an email if you want to keep it out of thread.

#20 scyber

scyber

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

So you are getting sound through the rear speakers? If so, that is terrific. I just got my new AV receiver this week, but I haven't hooked it up yet to test this.

The technical solution is not complicated. Plex already supported the ability to transcode DTS to ac3, its just that the Roku1 boxes don't seem to support it. I just put code in place to check the firmware version and if so tell plex to send 5.1 ac3 audio instead of stereo aac audio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users