This guide will show you how to get Plex Media Center v0.9.5.1 (beta) working on Ubuntu.
(!important - not recommended on the same machine as the server .... unless you have a bad ass (very good) machine... but still not recommended)
- Download Plex Media Center for windows from here
- Install Wine1.3 + some extras (!important - Remove any other version of wine you might have installed currently)
Open up terminal... Applications > Accessories > Terminal
Enter the following lines of code. This will add the repository, update and install wine.
~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa ~$ sudo apt-get update ~$ sudo apt-get install wine1.3After this is complete, run the following command.
~$ winetricks vcrun2010
This will get and install all the good stuff needed to run the app.
- Install Plex Media Center for windows.
- If you haven't done so already go download the app from here
- Once downloaded, go to the folder where it is (usually "Downloads").
- Right click on the "exe" file, go to "Properties".
- Click on the "Permissions" tab and check the box that says "Allow executing file as program", then click close.
- Right click on the file again, this time click "Open with Wine Windows Program Language".
- The installer should start up, follow the prompts.
- Important when you get to the "Choose Components" uncheck the Visual c++ 2010 option
- Once installed will be in Applications > Wine > Programs > Plex Media Center
If the Plex Media Center while installing complains and displays error, then continues to install... that is BAD and the app wont work. You will need to uninstall wine, reboot and reinstall wine from step 2 above and reinstall Plex Media Center.
I currently have this running on 3 Machines
Machine 1 - Ubuntu 10.04 32bit
Machine 2 - Ubuntu 10.04 64bit
Machine 3 - Ubuntu 11.10 32bit
Machine 4 - Ubuntu 10.04 64bit - this one is the server, tried to have the media center on here but was too much for it.
All machines have more than 2gb memory and dual core, one has old Pentium 4 which surprisingly works well.
1 issue on the 11.10 machine is that plex doesn't want to quit, when you hit Quit it just sits there... haven't figure that one out yet but if i do i'll post it. <-- issue fixed... 11.10 machine actually was a 64bit, i removed 11.10 and put 11.04, followed step and is ok.. see video below..
-Enjoy and Happy Plex'in.