13 replies to this topic

#1 mbeezy

mbeezy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:45 AM

Howdy~!

This guide will show you how to get Plex Media Center v0.9.5.1 (beta) working on Ubuntu.
(!important - not recommended on the same machine as the server .... unless you have a bad ass (very good) machine... but still not recommended)

• Download Plex Media Center for windows from here
  • Install Wine1.3 + some extras (!important - Remove any other version of wine you might have installed currently)

Open up terminal... Applications > Accessories > Terminal

Enter the following lines of code. This will add the repository, update and install wine.

~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    ~$ sudo apt-get update
    ~$ sudo apt-get install wine1.3

After this is complete, run the following command.

~$ winetricks vcrun2010

This will get and install all the good stuff needed to run the app.
  • Install Plex Media Center for windows.

• If you haven't done so already go download the app from here
  • Once downloaded, go to the folder where it is (usually "Downloads").
  • Right click on the "exe" file, go to "Properties".
  • Click on the "Permissions" tab and check the box that says "Allow executing file as program", then click close.
  • Right click on the file again, this time click "Open with Wine Windows Program Language".
  • The installer should start up, follow the prompts.
  • Important when you get to the "Choose Components" uncheck the Visual c++ 2010 option
  • Once installed will be in Applications > Wine > Programs > Plex Media Center

If the Plex Media Center while installing complains and displays error, then continues to install... that is BAD and the app wont work. You will need to uninstall wine, reboot and reinstall wine from step 2 above and reinstall Plex Media Center.

I currently have this running on 3 Machines
Machine 1 - Ubuntu 10.04 32bit
Machine 2 - Ubuntu 10.04 64bit
Machine 3 - Ubuntu 11.10 32bit
Machine 4 - Ubuntu 10.04 64bit - this one is the server, tried to have the media center on here but was too much for it.

All machines have more than 2gb memory and dual core, one has old Pentium 4 which surprisingly works well.

1 issue on the 11.10 machine is that plex doesn't want to quit, when you hit Quit it just sits there... haven't figure that one out yet but if i do i'll post it. <-- issue fixed... 11.10 machine actually was a 64bit, i removed 11.10 and put 11.04, followed step and is ok.. see video below..

-Enjoy and Happy Plex'in.

#2 puithove

puithove

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for sharing. Interesting that it runs under Wine. How's the performance? I can't imagine it'd be all that great, but who knows.

#3 mbeezy

mbeezy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:16 AM

Thanks for sharing. Interesting that it runs under Wine. How's the performance? I can't imagine it'd be all that great, but who knows.

don't knock it till you try it... or see it...

Gotta admit its not 100% it has its moments of lag when watching at times... but also using wireless and not plugged in.

Sorry for the poor quality of video... recorded it from my cell..... lol

#4 realbaddog

realbaddog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:34 AM

don't knock it till you try it... or see it...

Gotta admit its not 100% it has its moments of lag when watching at times... but also using wireless and not plugged in.

Sorry for the poor quality of video... recorded it from my cell..... lol

Good job, maybe with a faster box and a little more ram................hummmmm........ hey, that shared content in your video looks like my folders.....

#5 insom

insom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

Good work on the wine.

I have been trying it out myself, but using Linux Mint and on a virtual machine.

From the initial tests, I noticed the wine is pushing up the CPU to 100%. I have tried using 32bit and 64bit, and combinations of up to 4 cpus & 4 cores.

I dont know if this is an issue with Plex, or wine .... but was wandering if anyone else had experience this?

I will try on a clean physical machine tonight, to to make sure it isnt a virtualised problem.
Insom

#6 dbrenha

dbrenha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

Good work on the wine.

I have been trying it out myself, but using Linux Mint and on a virtual machine.

From the initial tests, I noticed the wine is pushing up the CPU to 100%. I have tried using 32bit and 64bit, and combinations of up to 4 cpus & 4 cores.

I dont know if this is an issue with Plex, or wine .... but was wandering if anyone else had experience this?

I will try on a clean physical machine tonight, to to make sure it isnt a virtualised problem.
Insom

I am getting 100% CPU too on a physical machine 64 bit ubuntu 11.10.

#7 insom

insom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

OK,

tried setting up Plex using Wine1.3 under Ubuntu 11.10 x64 with older centrino cpu & 4gb ram, and everything is fine and really smooth...

Not sure what would be causing the problem on the VM setup.

#8 mbeezy

mbeezy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:06 PM

Sorry.. its been a while since i've stopped and checked in the forums...

If you attempting to run linux in a VM with wine for Plex is a bad idea, you'll always get 100% CPU usage.. cus its like running a VM inside VM to run Plex.

The Wine library is like a VM alone.. its just an emulator in a sense, so its going to raise your CPU by default now add it onto a VM and CPU will go through the roof trying to process everything plus keep your original OS going....

Hope that helps.. glad you all are using this tho.

#9 Porky550

Porky550

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hi Guy

i like the idea of this but will it run iplayer? as its a windows version would you need to install fire fox for windows? so plex can use the silver light and Flash plugins?

Paul

#10 joypunk

joypunk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

This worked great for me.

Going to try it on Crunchbang running Wine 1.4~rc2 in the next few days. (Looking to build a super light weight Plex server/client combination... and Ubuntu has too much bloat for that.)

Thanks for the guide!

#11 mbeezy

mbeezy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:08 PM

This worked great for me.

Going to try it on Crunchbang running Wine 1.4~rc2 in the next few days. (Looking to build a super light weight Plex server/client combination... and Ubuntu has too much bloat for that.)

Thanks for the guide!

Any luck with the light weight server/client combo?

#12 l1t0z

l1t0z

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 04:52 AM

Does anyone tried build the app from the source code, my guess is that the MAC code version should work?

Just a personal thing to avoid wine

#13 dask

dask

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:22 PM

Does anyone tried build the app from the source code, my guess is that the MAC code version should work?

#14 Mark Walker

Mark Walker

HACK THE PLANET!

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1942 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

Either use the branch mentioned here: http://forums.plexap...-pmc-linux-faq/

Or wait until Plex Home Theater gets to a stable state (It also exists for Linux)

- Mark

Get you Plex guides here: Naming Guide, NAS Guide, NTFS on Linux Guide, Linux Permissions Guide, Logs & Library Maintenance Help, Plex Help Page.

My Plex world:
Primary PMS: NAS - 24 bay Inter-Tech 4324L, Xeon E3-1230v2, SuperMicro X9SCM-F, 60GB Vertex SSD, 7x1.5TB SATA Drives
Channel PMS/HTPC/EyeTV: Mid 2011 Mac Mini 4GB RAM 60GB Vertex SSD, 50" Kuro
Clients: Hackintosh - Xeon E3-1275v2, 27" CinemaDisplay, 2010 15" MBP, ATV2, Roku3, iPhone 3gs 32GB, iPhone 5 64GB, iPad 3 16GB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users