Photo

Plex App on Xbox Live App Market

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Xbox 360 Plex app interest (323 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you use a Plex app for Xbox 360?

1. Yes (319 votes [98.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 98.76%

2. No (4 votes [1.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 edotkyle

edotkyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

Any chance that we'll get a Plex app for the the new Xbox LIve Marketplace that's soon to be released. Seems more prudent than continuing to support apps for GoogleTV since it's kinda, err, dead...

#2 jflo

jflo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:37 AM

GoogleTV is far from dead. Just saw them at Streaming Media West, and caught a demo of GoogTV 2.0. Huge improvement. I believe there is already a plex plugin somewhere for it as well..

http://www.theverge....x-google-tv-app

#3 edotkyle

edotkyle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

GoogleTV is far from dead. Just saw them at Streaming Media West, and caught a demo of GoogTV 2.0. Huge improvement. I believe there is already a plex plugin somewhere for it as well..

http://www.theverge....x-google-tv-app

Yes, I'm aware of the Plex app for GoogleTV, I referenced it in my first post - I know it's not technically dead, but I was referring to the statements that Logitech's CEO recently made about the Revue being a complete clusterfuck. Anyway, I don't want this thread to become flame bait for GoogleTV lovers, I'm sure there's room for an app with both Google AND Xbox Live in the media center ecosystem.

Please please please!!!

#4 Shleybert

Shleybert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:29 PM

It's great that Plex is available on new (somewhat)niche market devices, which is from what I understand because of the existing android app. However, I can't justify buying a new TV with plex integrated(drool) or another media player. I have an AppleTV2, and despite the random hiccups I wouldn't consider replacing it. What I would love is for my xbox to have a plex app as well. I know of a lot of other 'non-techie' xbox owners that would be a cinch to get hooked on plex if this was available.

With GoogleTV, the market may be there. With xbox, the market is there. So +1(and 8 more).

#5 RockStar

RockStar

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1771 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:26 AM

Another +1.
Dear Lord. If we give you Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj, would you consider sending us back Dimebag Darrell?

#6 DCstewieG

DCstewieG

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

Hadn't even thought of this, it would be awesome.

#7 speedkills

speedkills

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:31 PM

I'd buy it.

#8 batt01

batt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 11:36 PM

I use my Xbox as a WMC extender for live tv. Plex on the 360 would be a big plus. There is prop a lot more XBoxs than ATV and GoogleTVs combined. Plex has it roots in XBox Media Centr and it would be karmic for it to return as Plex. Yin Yan bing bang Pow!

#9 Stargze

Stargze

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

would defiantly consider it!

Plex is a far better way to organize and access my media collection than the current way the xbox does it!

#10 mwroobel

mwroobel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:57 AM

Plex for XB360 would be the best client IMHO if it were as full featured as at least the IOS client, if not the whole regular PMC. It would allow a single frontend box that could do Plex and live TV (with the requisite WMC/tuner(s)) and would save HDMI inputs, extra remotes etc.

#11 Suodo

Suodo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

It would be pretty cool but I'd be astonished if Microsoft allowed it to happen, they are not keen at all on local playback of media and want everyone to rent media through the Zune store.

#12 meteu336

meteu336

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

+1. I would love to see the Plex app on my new dashboard.

It would be pretty cool but I'd be astonished if Microsoft allowed it to happen, they are not keen at all on local playback of media and want everyone to rent media through the Zune store.

I don't think that Microsoft is against playing local media at all. They support playback of media from the console's hard drives and streamed over a local network with Windows Media Center. They might not officially support it, but other DLNA servers (e.g. PS3 Media Server) will work with an Xbox 360. Also, if they would want everyone to use the Zune store, then why are Netflix and Hulu already on the Xbox, with many, many more media apps on the way?

#13 amlucent

amlucent

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:14 AM

I think you have forgotten that windows media center already works with Xbox this way as a media center extender. Also, the program mymovies works this way with the xbox.

Synology DS411+II as Plex Server | LG 55LV9500 with Medialink
Sony NSZ-GT1 Google TV | Apple TV 3 | Android Phone and Tablet Plex Clients

all-thin-banner.jpg

#14 hb2011

hb2011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

UPPPPP !!!! I'd love to see Plex on the XBOX 360, that would kick ass !

#15 Suodo

Suodo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

+1. I would love to see the Plex app on my new dashboard.

I don't think that Microsoft is against playing local media at all. They support playback of media from the console's hard drives and streamed over a local network with Windows Media Center. They might not officially support it, but other DLNA servers (e.g. PS3 Media Server) will work with an Xbox 360. Also, if they would want everyone to use the Zune store, then why are Netflix and Hulu already on the Xbox, with many, many more media apps on the way?

I think you have forgotten that windows media center already works with Xbox this way as a media center extender. Also, the program mymovies works this way with the xbox.

I'm well aware of the consoles UPnP/WMC support but both of those are very poor in function and haven't been touched by Microsoft in a very long time, also WMC is by all accounts on it's death bed and may not survive to Windows 9.

The point I was making is Microsoft prefers that you source your content through it's online streaming service or that of it's partners (Netflix/Hulu etc) and they combined would not look too kindly on Plex but I would be very happy to be wrong on this...

#16 Jam

Jam

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4042 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

I can't find any information about random third-party developers being allowed to make apps for the Xbox, apart from some old rumours that it was going to be introduced at the BUILD conference in September (which never happened). It seems like only Microsoft's content partners are currently being allowed to create these apps. If there's ever a full SDK released then I'm sure we'd look into it, but until that happens, don't expect to see a Plex app on there any time soon :(

#17 Mookee

Mookee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

Kinect enabled Xbox Plex client. That would be so hot.

#18 Jinden

Jinden

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:39 AM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:55 AM

OMG how awesome would that be. Considering that abilities like this would make up for say lack of Blu-ray support I think MS should consider taking an this approach to their console. I would buy it from the MS app store so MS could get a cut like iTunes. Or we can just wait for the next Xbox console so that the 360 is opened up like the original :-)

#19 Nuno Lopes

Nuno Lopes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:41 PM

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:55 AM

OMG how awesome would that be. Considering that abilities like this would make up for say lack of Blu-ray support I think MS should consider taking an this approach to their console. I would buy it from the MS app store so MS could get a cut like iTunes. Or we can just wait for the next Xbox console so that the 360 is opened up like the original :-)

This idea is so crazy that it might actually work :)

#20 Mr.Chris

Mr.Chris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

I have PLEX media server on my main box with Mac mini's on 2 TV's I just got a Roku for the LAB.
I love the price of the roku but it will not play my HD stuff (so I put it on my older 720p TV) but I hate spending 800 on a mac mini for every TV.
I think the Xbox would have the power to play just about any thing and I already have 2 of them so buying an app would not even be that bad.
I LOVE PLEX. I was a XBMC kid from the first couple releases and still have a stack of old Xboxes with XBMC on them...
Hell if they could just the plex media server I would even hook them back up.

Yes I know I say I way too much I am working on it

Mr.Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users