• Please log in to reply
356 replies to this topic

#1 cardsdoc

cardsdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

I installed 0.9.5 on my pn59d8000. I have noticed that no matter what type of file I play, black levels are terrible. I adjusted the picture settings to match my calibrated settings which helped a bit but blacks are still very grey giving a fairly washed out picture. If I play files using my macbook pro/plex connected directly to the tv, or through my apple tv, the black levels are how they should be. Anyone else having this problem and any thoughts?

#2 M18

M18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:54 PM

this sounds like my problem. this is what i wrote a few days ago. please let me know if this sounds like your problem:

but i have a problem since yesterday: i upgraded my UE55D8090 to the 1018.1 firmware. since then, as soon as i start a movie or an episode i got a white fog over the movie. It is brighter on the sides of the screen.
It's not the usual fogging problem. I don't have it in the app itself, nor on any HDMI input or direct TV. Just as soon as i start a movie out of plex. It doesn't belong to the laika rls, with the new firmware i also got it with the prior rls.

Just wanted to ask if anyone can confirm that - UE55D8090 with 1018 firmware.

I already readjusted the picture settings and this "fog" depends on the background light (my setting is 10) when i turn to zero it is gone, but with 0 i can't watch any movie^^. I just want the fog gone, like it was before. Can this really be a bug in the firmware, or is there a setting i've overseen with the firmware upgrade?

I upgraded from 1015 -> 1018. Please would be great if someone can help me

#3 hd1080

hd1080

Plex for Samsung Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:40 AM

this sounds like my problem. this is what i wrote a few days ago. please let me know if this sounds like your problem:

Have the same problem since I upgraded to 1018.

If you like our Plex App for Samsung and would like to donate you can do this here

Get the latest news via twitter @plexforsamsung
Plex for Samsung TV's / BD-Player Forum
Plex for Samsung TVs / BD-Player Wiki (include screenshots)

Samsung Environment: UE55D7090, BD-C5900, BD-D5300

#4 M18

M18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

Have the same problem since I upgraded to 1018.

thx for that info. i tried so many settings but none of them helped me with that problem with that goddamned firmware :(
First i hoped with the last Plex update, where you wrote that you used another API, maybe the problem is gone, but it isn't.

I really really hope that you find the reason for that problem and are able to fix/workaround it.

First i hoped that i can go back to previous firmware (1015 in my case) but the alternative Software is greyed out in firmware update menu.

Please please find the reason and let me know about your solution :)
Right now i have to go "back" to my mac mini but with it, i have the refresh rate problem. With your app for my TV all is super smooth, used it every day for my big movie lib, but with that shiny fog it's no pleasure to watch movies.

#5 cardsdoc

cardsdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hard to know if this is the same problem but it sounds like it could be similar. If what you mean by "fog" is that blacks are appearing grey then you are also experiencing the poor black level performance that I am. This significantly decreases contrast ration giving a very washed out appearance. Seems like a decoding issue to me since all other content is fine with excellent blacks the pn598000 is capable of. Also the plex app seems to have to have its picture setting set separately than smarthub (which I've already adjusted to match my calibrated settings)) so I guess it could be some picture setting issue.

#6 M18

M18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

i think i don't have it in the plex app itself.

When i start a movie, then i have 1,2 seconds a real black screen, and then when loading/buffing is done, i got the grey fog. It's more on the left and right side then in the middle of screen.
This fog isn't just on black screens (but on black it's best to see) i have it all the time. Means when i compare a normal scene with plexapp and mac mini plex i see that the picture has the gray fog too.

Because hd1080 has this problem also like me after upgrade to 1018 firmware, can you check what firmware is on your system?

Maybe it's not excactly the same problem, maybe it is, but if i know your TV number correct, you have a Plasma Display, while i have a LED panel. Don't know if the firmwares have the same root.

Hope that hd1080 finds the reason and a solution for that problem :)

#7 hd1080

hd1080

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:54 PM

They told me I should try a reset, but this didn't help at all. I have it also in the 3D app from samsung, so its not related to my app.

If you like our Plex App for Samsung and would like to donate you can do this here

#8 M18

M18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:04 PM

i think they suggest a reset because they think it's related to any display settings the user did. but this is bullshit in this case. The firmware update didn't a reset, why should the settings change by magic immediately :)

I know it's not related to your app, because after the update, i have the same problem with the "old" plex app.

I have no idea what to try, if you can workaround that shit by your app, or there's a magic setting / other solution that the problem is gone

#9 hd1080

hd1080

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

So I talked with the hotline again but they couldn't/wouldn't help me at all. They said I should wait for a new update.
Then I drove to the Samsung HQ here in Germany and they gave the number from the complaint management.
I called them and they will redirect my issue to the technical site and they will call me back soon.

#10 M18

M18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

great to hear, thx for your efforts. looking forward for the informations about the callback :)

#11 cardsdoc

cardsdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

i think i don't have it in the plex app itself.

When i start a movie, then i have 1,2 seconds a real black screen, and then when loading/buffing is done, i got the grey fog. It's more on the left and right side then in the middle of screen.
This fog isn't just on black screens (but on black it's best to see) i have it all the time. Means when i compare a normal scene with plexapp and mac mini plex i see that the picture has the gray fog too.

Because hd1080 has this problem also like me after upgrade to 1018 firmware, can you check what firmware is on your system?

Maybe it's not excactly the same problem, maybe it is, but if i know your TV number correct, you have a Plasma Display, while i have a LED panel. Don't know if the firmwares have the same root.

Hope that hd1080 finds the reason and a solution for that problem :)

My problem is uniform, but that maybe because of the different display technologies - LED LCD are often unevenly lit. Since it seemed to occur with a firmware update and in the older plex app, I'm assuming then that the plex app is using Samsung's decoders? I had the latest firmware before I installed plex so I have no comparison. If it is samsung's decoder it should also occur when you stream the same content to the tv using dlna. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

#12 M18

M18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

i think samsungs DLNA client doesn't use samsungs own API. So i think the problem may not occur via DLNA because it's a build in solution.
And i think there would be much more posts over the internet regarding that problem.

I really hope that it will be fixed by samsung / or workarounded by hd1080 very soon :)

#13 cardsdoc

cardsdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:46 AM

i think samsungs DLNA client doesn't use samsungs own API. So i think the problem may not occur via DLNA because it's a build in solution.
And i think there would be much more posts over the internet regarding that problem.

I really hope that it will be fixed by samsung / or workarounded by hd1080 very soon :)

You're right - it didn't seem to occur when I tried a video via dlna. I did adjust the gamma to its lowest level, -3, which helped a good bit but not normal still. It did seem to have the right overall change in picture quality without introducing any other problems so maybe this is a gamma issue in decoding that we're seeing.

#14 M18

M18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

cardsdoc: thx for that suggestion, i tried that and improved the black value a lot. Inspired by that, i changed the setting "Schwarzton" i don't know if it's blacktone/value in english from off to the darkest setting. Now i got a very good black value again. Have to watch a few movies to see if there are effects on the normal colours but that damn grey fogging is gone.

Think that is a suitable workaround. Though i hope they fix the main problem in the firmware soon.

#15 M18

M18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

So I talked with the hotline again but they couldn't/wouldn't help me at all. They said I should wait for a new update.
Then I drove to the Samsung HQ here in Germany and they gave the number from the complaint management.
I called them and they will redirect my issue to the technical site and they will call me back soon.

did u got any feedback for that problem? :)

#16 hd1080

hd1080

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

did u got any feedback for that problem? :)

still nothing, called them two days ago, again. :angry:

#17 M18

M18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

no comment to samsung...

have you tried the suggestions cardsdoc and i made? At least a suitable workaround till they fix it with a new firmware

#18 hd1080

hd1080

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

no comment to samsung...

have you tried the suggestions cardsdoc and i made? At least a suitable workaround till they fix it with a new firmware

yes but its not the same.

#19 Docproc

Docproc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:07 PM

Glad I checked here, I seriously thought there was something wrong with my TV! I watch most of my content through Plex so was really noticing the fogging issue in dark scenes - for me the right-hand third of the screen was significantly "greyer" than the rest.

I turned the "Black tone" down to "Darker" which works for me, and brought the gamma down to -1 (from 0), because anything else made the rest of the picture too dark, although I didn't go through and calibrate everything, I might do that at the weekend.

Thanks for the tips and I hope we get a fix from Samsung soon!

Glenn.

#20 M18

M18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

haha @ Samsung: Now they removed 1018.0 from their firmware site and state that 1017.1 from 1.12.2011 is the current firmware. Very nice if samsung could tell me how to install a 1017.x firmware over their 1018 firmware... rly nice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users