13 replies to this topic

#1 CapnAmerica

CapnAmerica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

Hi,

I am running that latest Plex Media Server, and also running the latest Plex Media Center on Windows 7 Ultimate. I have added new movies to my movie folder, in mp4 format and mkv format and I am signed in to Myplex with my account settings. Plex is not updating my movies. I have signed in and out, refreshed, updated library from plex media server etc. Changed formats of the movie, done refreshes, tried from two different PC's running windows 7 Ultimate, one 64 bit and one 32 bit and no joy. I have tried signing in and out and refreshing, adding server to myplex account etc. I cannot figure out why plex will not update my latest added movies. Is this a bug of some type? The only thing I have not done is totally erase plex media server from my system and registry and then reload everything from scratch.

I am also using a program called Qloud, which is on android and it has no problem identifying and playing newly added movies. It see's all newly added files within seconds and plays them much faster than Plex app for android. I have tried Plex on Windows Ultimate 32 bit and 64 bit and my movie updates and or additions are not seen. I have tried restarting plex, update media library and refreshing from within plex manager on the web and more, but no luck. I have logged in to myplex from multiple PC's and still cannot see updated/recently added moves, have logged out and logged back in from chrome browser and android devices but no update. Encoding of all mp4 and mkv files were done via HandBrake latest version using standard settings. My main server is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with 32GB of RAM with the latest Intel® Core™ i7-940 Processor and a video card with as a Radeon HD4800.

Anyone got some ideas as to what is going on? I have cleared cache on the computers, cleared cache on the android app under advanced settings. No special or exceptional settings done to latest encodes of movies under the aforementioned file formats. Even the new movies do not show up under the Plex app for IOS4 Ipod Touch 4g.

I don't think that my plex media server database is corrupt and I certainly should not have to be erasing it from my system and registry and then reloading it to have it pick up new additions to my libraries. Like I said, I have logged in to myplex, added server, tried to update server etc. but no joy.

#2 JoToFoSho

JoToFoSho

Plex Star

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2882 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

So do you see these movies/shows in PMS in the web browser? If they don't show up there (which it sounds like they don't) then they're not being scanned in correctly by PMS and won't be available in any plex client and it has nothing to do with myplex which is only for finding remote servers and maintaining a queue of online content. Do you have PMS set to update on folder changes under PMS preferences? Make sure the manual update setting is disabled and toggle the "update when changes to my folders are detected" a few times to make sure the setting sticks. I've seen reports of that feature showing as enabled but underneath the setting isn't set properly. I'd also make sure your files follow the naming guide for plex to pick them up properly.
http://wiki.plexapp....PMS_NamingGuide
~John T.

New here? Read the wiki and watch the screencast! You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration! :) If that didn't help, posting log files can help us track down your issue.

#3 CapnAmerica

CapnAmerica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:20 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your input. Yes, Everything is set according to what you asked me to check, and I have enabled PMS set to update on folder changes under PMS preferences. I do not see manual updating available. I do not see a manual update setting. Maybe I should disable it and then re-enable it a few times to see what happens again. Naming convention for all files and folders follow Plex guidelines explicitly. No problem before with metadata updating etc. Folder name, file name and .jpg name all reflect the same information.

#4 CapnAmerica

CapnAmerica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:24 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your input. Yes, Everything is set according to what you asked me to check, and I have enabled PMS set to update on folder changes under PMS preferences. I do not see manual updating available. I do not see a manual update setting. Maybe I should disable it and then re-enable it a few times to see what happens again. Naming convention for all files and folders follow Plex guidelines explicitly. No problem before with metadata updating etc. Folder name, file name and .jpg name all reflect the same information.

New additions do not show up on android or apple devices or secondary PC on same LAN. However, Qloud for android does see the new additions as well as does Media Manager for Verizon FIOS.

#5 JoToFoSho

JoToFoSho

Plex Star

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2882 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:46 PM

So you don't see "update my library [hourly/daily/etc]" next to the "on folder change" option? You might have broken bundle files in that case.
http://wiki.plexapp....rk.bundle_files

No need to continue to point out Qloud works unless you're trying to rub it in plex's face. From what I can tell it doesn't maintain a library like plex does so there's less to go wrong with it.
~John T.

New here? Read the wiki and watch the screencast! You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration! :) If that didn't help, posting log files can help us track down your issue.

#6 CapnAmerica

CapnAmerica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:08 AM

So you don't see "update my library [hourly/daily/etc]" next to the "on folder change" option? You might have broken bundle files in that case.
http://wiki.plexapp....rk.bundle_files

No need to continue to point out Qloud works unless you're trying to rub it in plex's face. From what I can tell it doesn't maintain a library like plex does so there's less to go wrong with it.

Yes I do see "update my library hourly daily 15 minutes etc. I have tried changing all those settings to see what happens. And, by the way... I just did not point out Qloud working, but I did mention Verizon FIOS Media Manager as seeing the files. Don't assume that I am trying to rub anything in anyone's face, or show a preference to one program versus another. I am merely pointing out that one or more alternative programs are picking up the changes whereas PLEX is not. FYI for the RECORD, I do love PLEX and it's metadata wonderfulness and all it's other features. I especially like being able to get away from XBMC and go full with the PLEX Media Center on Windows. What a huge and significant improvement in my opinion. Perhaps I should do as you suggested and take a look at the broken bundle files thread.

#7 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8640 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

Please do the following:

1. Follow these instructions on the off chance you have some corrupted backend files.

2. Open your Media Manager, select the section in question (a movie section, I assume), and then ALT-click the refresh button to do a Deep Scan. Let it finish.

3. Zip up and attach the "Plex Media Scanner.log" file (see link in signature).

4. List the exact and full filename and filepath to 2-3 of the items that are not showing up.

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#8 JoToFoSho

JoToFoSho

Plex Star

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2882 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 02:57 AM

Yes I do see "update my library hourly daily 15 minutes etc. I have tried changing all those settings to see what happens. And, by the way... I just did not point out Qloud working, but I did mention Verizon FIOS Media Manager as seeing the files. Don't assume that I am trying to rub anything in anyone's face, or show a preference to one program versus another. I am merely pointing out that one or more alternative programs are picking up the changes whereas PLEX is not. FYI for the RECORD, I do love PLEX and it's metadata wonderfulness and all it's other features. I especially like being able to get away from XBMC and go full with the PLEX Media Center on Windows. What a huge and significant improvement in my opinion. Perhaps I should do as you suggested and take a look at the broken bundle files thread.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post. I didn't see the benefit to knowing that those programs worked as they're completely different from plex AFAIK. I don't know why I assumed others would be aware of that and I apologize. The log file info Chris requested should help us track down the exact problem. :)
~John T.

#9 CapnAmerica

CapnAmerica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:52 AM

Chris C.
Looks like the Deep Scan did the trick. Thanks for the tip on alt-click on the refresh.

JoToFoSho

No problem, no need to apologize for anything, and thank you for your help as well.

#10 Christo

Christo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

Chris C.
Looks like the Deep Scan did the trick. Thanks for the tip on alt-click on the refresh.

JoToFoSho

No problem, no need to apologize for anything, and thank you for your help as well.

Hey all, I know I'm kinda resurrecting this thread, but it falls in line with what's going on here... I have PMS installed on Windows XP, and when I add movies, it does not catch the updates (even though every hours or so it pops up "media scan done" or whatever)... Doing a Deep Scan *does* show the movie properly, but it is required to find new movies... Any suggestions on why regular scans don't find it?

#11 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8640 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:13 AM

HDoing a Deep Scan *does* show the movie properly, but it is required to find new movies... Any suggestions on why regular scans don't find it?

Take a look at the types of scans. If the "Deep" scan picks up content but the "Turbo" does not, then your Operating System, filesystem, or storage device is not correctly updating the directory modification times when you add new content.

The other thing that could cause issues is if you're copying content to the drive and directly into the content location. In such a situation, when the content copy first starts, the Plex Media Server scanner will note the change and then wait 60s. If nothing else has changed at that point, it will perform the Turbo scan. However, if your content is copying and takes longer than a minute, then it's possible for a situation to occur where the scan occurs before the copy finishes. Subsequent scans would not actually look in the directory because the mtime wasn't updated once the copy finished.

The easy solution for that is to not copy the content directly to your content location on the drive. Instead, copy it to another location/folder on the drive first and then when the copying is completed, move it into the standard content location.

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#12 Christo

Christo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

The other thing that could cause issues is if you're copying content to the drive and directly into the content location. In such a situation, when the content copy first starts, the Plex Media Server scanner will note the change and then wait 60s. If nothing else has changed at that point, it will perform the Turbo scan. However, if your content is copying and takes longer than a minute, then it's possible for a situation to occur where the scan occurs before the copy finishes. Subsequent scans would not actually look in the directory because the mtime wasn't updated once the copy finished.

Thank you, this makes perfect sense. PMS is set up on a remotely accessed media server, and movies are added via Shared Folder. It's likely that the time taken to copy them to the folder is causing the mix-up... Thanks!

#13 Danod

Danod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

Hi,

I am running that latest Plex Media Server, and also running the latest Plex Media Center on Windows 7 Ultimate. I have added new movies to my movie folder, in mp4 format and mkv format and I am signed in to Myplex with my account settings. Plex is not updating my movies. I have signed in and out, refreshed, updated library from plex media server etc. Changed formats of the movie, done refreshes, tried from two different PC's running windows 7 Ultimate, one 64 bit and one 32 bit and no joy. I have tried signing in and out and refreshing, adding server to myplex account etc. I cannot figure out why plex will not update my latest added movies. Is this a bug of some type? The only thing I have not done is totally erase plex media server from my system and registry and then reload everything from scratch.

I am also using a program called Qloud, which is on android and it has no problem identifying and playing newly added movies. It see's all newly added files within seconds and plays them much faster than Plex app for android. I have tried Plex on Windows Ultimate 32 bit and 64 bit and my movie updates and or additions are not seen. I have tried restarting plex, update media library and refreshing from within plex manager on the web and more, but no luck. I have logged in to myplex from multiple PC's and still cannot see updated/recently added moves, have logged out and logged back in from chrome browser and android devices but no update. Encoding of all mp4 and mkv files were done via HandBrake latest version using standard settings. My main server is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit with 32GB of RAM with the latest Intel® Core™ i7-940 Processor and a video card with as a Radeon HD4800.

Anyone got some ideas as to what is going on? I have cleared cache on the computers, cleared cache on the android app under advanced settings. No special or exceptional settings done to latest encodes of movies under the aforementioned file formats. Even the new movies do not show up under the Plex app for IOS4 Ipod Touch 4g.

I don't think that my plex media server database is corrupt and I certainly should not have to be erasing it from my system and registry and then reloading it to have it pick up new additions to my libraries. Like I said, I have logged in to myplex, added server, tried to update server etc. but no joy.

Hey guys,

I have recently installed PMS on to a Windows 7 PC to use as a media Centre. I have attached a NAS device that holds my content (TV Shows, Movies etc). I have jailbroken ATV and play on a Samsung D8000. My problems is that all the content from media library (NAS device) shows in the reliant sections (indexed, meta data'd etc) however when I try and play a movie for example the screen just goes blank and the move seems to freeze.
Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks in advance.

#14 faisalj

faisalj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:37 AM

I too have some issues on this.

I can update movies no problem. Deep scan done as well.

But issue is, some tv series, i can only get 1 episode out of 10 of a certain series.

The file format is .mkv but Im quite sure that it is supported as well.

And also, i do have one folder showing, "**Duplicate Season 3 4 7788**" instead.

So its kind of weird.

Any help offered is deeply appreciated.

Regards,

Faisal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users