• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Griff1324

Griff1324

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

I have a PC that has the Plex server insalled on it and that machine holds all of my media. I have installed the Plex client on a Windows 7 client. When I fire up Plex on the client it shows all of my movies. However, I am unable to play any of the movies. My other media in Plex plays fine. My movies are stored on the server in the following format:

Name of Movie (year)
- VIDEO_TS
- List of VOB files and other files from ripped DVD

I looked in the log file on the Plex client and I see these two errors:

- Error on dvdnav_open
- CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opeing [http://10.0.9.3:3240...3/VIDEO_TS.IFO]

I am able to play these ripped dvd's from the client machine using Windows Media Player so that I know I have access to the files on the server. Any thoughts?

Chris

#2 JoToFoSho

JoToFoSho

Plex Star

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2882 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

Welcome to plex! This is one of our big FAQ items: http://wiki.plexapp....to_my_client.3F

This format isn't streamable. PMC needs to be able to access the files at the same path as PMS so it can open the files directly with this format.
~John T.

New here? Read the wiki and watch the screencast! You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration! :) If that didn't help, posting log files can help us track down your issue.

#3 spinbot

spinbot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:40 AM

Why doesn't VIDEO_TS or similar format content stream to my client?

Such disc image formats (VIDEO_TS, ISO, IMG, dvdmedia, etc.) are not currently compatible with HTTP streaming and thus will not work outside of the desktop client. Even for the desktop client, the content must be directly accessible via the filesystem by the exact same path used by the Plex Media Server. It is generally recommended to not use such disc image formats if you want broad compatibility with Plex clients. Instead, extract or encode the content into a standard video file.

I've read this in the FAQ, however I am still hoping that their is a way around it. I had my media server well before Plex (which I just installed to see how it would work with my LG Smart TV). My media server has nearly 3000 movies, all stored in .iso format. Changing them to any other format is just not practical. ISO/IMG files have worked perfectly over my Popcorn Hour for years.

I access all my content via Network Share, so the 11 hard drives appear in the one path. All movies are stored in separate folders with the iso, cover image, background image , nfo and sometimes .avi trailers as well.

I'd hate to abandon plex less than 24 hours after trying it, so is their any type of practical solution for this (that would still allow an 8 year old girl to be able to use the GUI of the SmartTV play her movies?

#4 TOMMY2TONE0435

TOMMY2TONE0435

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:29 AM

I have a PC that has the Plex server insalled on it and that machine holds all of my media. I have installed the Plex client on a Windows 7 client. When I fire up Plex on the client it shows all of my movies. However, I am unable to play any of the movies. My other media in Plex plays fine. My movies are stored on the server in the following format:

Name of Movie (year)
- VIDEO_TS
- List of VOB files and other files from ripped DVD

I looked in the log file on the Plex client and I see these two errors:

- Error on dvdnav_open
- CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opeing [http://10.0.9.3:3240...3/VIDEO_TS.IFO]

I am able to play these ripped dvd's from the client machine using Windows Media Player so that I know I have access to the files on the server. Any thoughts?

Chris

here's a workaround

http://forums.plexap...__1#entry259306

#5 jamerson9

jamerson9

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

If your are using a desktop client you should be able to get the paths the same for client and server. I don't use a Windows PMS so I can't say for sure, but I would suggest experimenting around with shortcuts, symbolic links, alias etc.

For example, I use a Linux PMS and a OS X client and have used symbolic links on both machines such that the paths are the same. i.e. /Media/Movies

Unfortunately, as mentioned before, this method won't really help with any client that needs media to be streamed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users