#1 Zeus1976

Zeus1976

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

Hello :-)

The Plex Media Server is a great thing. I have a little question:

It is possible to stream on the VPN Tunnel? If I check with my android client or PC Client isn't find my media Server. (Server is not reachable)

If I'm in the local network everything is working. Can I configure, that is possible to use by the VPN Tunnel? Is it a problem from the multicast?

Thank you for your help.

Best regards
Philippe

#2 Zeus1976

Zeus1976

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

Any ideas? Thank you for your help.

Best regards
Philippe

#3 Zeus1976

Zeus1976

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:06 PM

Hello,

The question is, can I use Plex Media Server over the VPN? If yes, what kind of configuration is needed? If no, it will be added in the next version?

Best regards

#4 steveng8515

steveng8515

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

Hello,

The question is, can I use Plex Media Server over the VPN? If yes, what kind of configuration is needed? If no, it will be added in the next version?

Best regards

Zeus,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am having the same problem.

#5 ronb9956

ronb9956

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:01 AM

Come on experts, there are lots of dummies like me who need to know if it can be done and how to do it!!

I have a US-based VPN.

When I'm NOT connected to the VPN, Hulu tells me it can't stream to someone outside USA.

When I AM connected to VPN, Hulu gives no error message but doesn't stream anything, even though it says it is streaming.

It should work - but it doesn't. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Ron

#6 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Come on experts, there are lots of dummies like me who need to know if it can be done and how to do it!!

I have a US-based VPN.

When I'm NOT connected to the VPN, Hulu tells me it can't stream to someone outside USA.

When I AM connected to VPN, Hulu gives no error message but doesn't stream anything, even though it says it is streaming.

It should work - but it doesn't. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Ron

Hi,

The question is not "does it work over a VPN", but does it work over *MY* VPN. In general, yes it will work, but there are certain gotchas in each specific case depending on exactly how your VPN is setup and what restrictions are being put in place by your VPN provider. Plex will never work as a method to get around restrictions put in place by content providers.
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#7 ronb9956

ronb9956

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hi,

The question is not "does it work over a VPN", but does it work over *MY* VPN. In general, yes it will work, but there are certain gotchas in each specific case depending on exactly how your VPN is setup and what restrictions are being put in place by your VPN provider. Plex will never work as a method to get around restrictions put in place by content providers.

Sorry to be so simple minded, but if I can stream everything from Hulu (for example) using my PC web browser with a VPN connection, why can't I do the same with PLEX? If my content provider cannot tell that I am not in the USA, then how do they know NOT to stream video via PLEX?

And if my VPN is not set up correctly, then what are the "correct" settings?

#8 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Sorry to be so simple minded, but if I can stream everything from Hulu (for example) using my PC web browser with a VPN connection, why can't I do the same with PLEX? If my content provider cannot tell that I am not in the USA, then how do they know NOT to stream video via PLEX?

And if my VPN is not set up correctly, then what are the "correct" settings?

It may not be the cause of your problem at all, have you tried all the normal stuff with plugin's (webkit/flash/silverlight versions etc on your PMS)

Is the client you are tying to play back the content on the same machine as the PMS? If not, does the VPN software run on the client machine or the PMS machine?
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#9 ronb9956

ronb9956

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:24 AM

It may not be the cause of your problem at all, have you tried all the normal stuff with plugin's (webkit/flash/silverlight versions etc on your PMS)

Is the client you are tying to play back the content on the same machine as the PMS? If not, does the VPN software run on the client machine or the PMS machine?

I reinstalled everything, including PMS, Plex, Flash, Silverlight, Chrome Frame.

The VPN connection, PMS and Plex are on the same PC running Windows Vista. I also have an LG ST600 box for my TV, connected by wireless, which shows the same as I can get on the PC with Plex.

It seems that some of the problems may be at the content provider end, for example with Hulu I can get everything (all TV shows, etc) but never Movies. With NBC I get some material, with others I get sound only and no video.

#10 fpsxtreme

fpsxtreme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

Dumb question perhaps but have you checked to make sure that your bitrates within plex are at least matching your VPN bandwidth? Under network preferences in plex media client you can change it from auto to set values, I know that I have had to tweak mine in order to get the content to sync up.
Guns Don't Kill People, Magic Missles Do

#11 ronb9956

ronb9956

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

Dumb question perhaps but have you checked to make sure that your bitrates within plex are at least matching your VPN bandwidth? Under network preferences in plex media client you can change it from auto to set values, I know that I have had to tweak mine in order to get the content to sync up.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried a few settings in Preferences/System/Quality from Remote Media Servers but it made no difference.

To establish whether it is my problem or a broader one, could someone who has PLEX in the USA, or a US-based VPN, please try Hulu/Movies/(select any movie) and let me know if it gets a result.

Thanks
Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users