• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 danmcp1011@gmail.com

danmcp1011@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

I recently installed plex server on my pc, The UI and coverart layout is amazing. I have plex installed on my laptop, all videos play perfectly. On my google tv most videos do not play. I get an error that says "There was a problem with media playback". It doesnt seem to matter what the file type is, some avi will play, some will not. Some mkv will play, some will not. I would love to be able to use plex but it needs to play more than 30% of my videos. Is there anything i can do to get the rest of the vid's playing properly??

Thanks

#2 Fuzzman88

Fuzzman88

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:11 AM

The problem is that the .mkv is just a "container" for video and audio streams. Download a program called MediaInfo and use it to check your files. You will likely see that the files that won't play have unsupported codecs inside the .mkv container.

Here's a link: http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

#3 Night_Shade

Night_Shade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:19 AM

I recently installed plex server on my pc, The UI and coverart layout is amazing. I have plex installed on my laptop, all videos play perfectly. On my google tv most videos do not play. I get an error that says "There was a problem with media playback". It doesnt seem to matter what the file type is, some avi will play, some will not. Some mkv will play, some will not. I would love to be able to use plex but it needs to play more than 30% of my videos. Is there anything i can do to get the rest of the vid's playing properly??

Thanks

I am new to plex and a newbie but I just wanted to say that I had some trouble getting my avi files to play then, as suggested by someone in the chat,i re-named my files in a way that makes plex happy using this: http://wiki.plexapp....MS_Naming_Guide and now all my files play correctly. I have a folder movies > the movie files inside. And for TV it's folder with series name> folder with season # > s01e01 (for example)

don't know if that's gonna help but just wanted to put it out there

#4 Plumbing108

Plumbing108

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:26 AM

Your post is highly informative. I appreciate your efforts.

#5 Night_Shade

Night_Shade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

I am new to plex and a newbie but I just wanted to say that I had some trouble getting my avi files to play then, as suggested by someone in the chat,i re-named my files in a way that makes plex happy using this: http://wiki.plexapp....MS_Naming_Guide and now all my files play correctly. I have a folder movies > the movie files inside. And for TV it's folder with series name> folder with season # > s01e01 (for example)

don't know if that's gonna help but just wanted to put it out there

Correction, I have come across a couple of files that won't play, I get the "we're sorry but there was a problem attempting to play. (then the name of the file)
There was a problem with media playback. "

So I guess there is still something wrong with some files.

#6 computercodes@hotmail.com

computercodes@hotmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:33 AM

Correction, I have come across a couple of files that won't play, I get the "we're sorry but there was a problem attempting to play. (then the name of the file)
There was a problem with media playback. "

So I guess there is still something wrong with some files.

I can't get any of my files to play. I'm attempting to use myPlex from one home to another. I get the same error time and time again regardless of file type or naming convention. Is anyone else having problems like this? Home 1 (server) to Home 2 (Google TV Logitech Revue). I am able to play these files using my plex phone app. So I find it weird that I can't watch it on my Revue, but it works fine on both my tablet (TF101) and my Galaxy Nexus LTE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users