• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gewalker

gewalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

Okay...after a few weeks and a lot of help from Elan, I am pleased to announce that last night we got a first pre-pre-pre(tty crap) alpha build of a Linux Plex client.

I'm choosing to post this up now because I'd like to get more (and hopefully more competent than myself) people involved in the project.

IMPORTANT CAVEATS:

1) The client is not what anyone would call "working" yet. You can't play videos with it (yet).

2) Building the tree is not easy and there are no adequate build instructions as yet. If you're not comfortable with making broken builds work, DO NOT TRY TO BUILD THIS.

WHAT WE NEED RTFN:

1) People who understand make and autoconf. The current build requires jiggery-pokery which I am not competent to eliminate.
2) People who understand and can work on sources for ffmpeg.
3) People who understand and can help debug X11 oddities.

WHAT WE WILL (Deus volent and the crick don't rise) NEED SOON:

1) People who can build and test on multiple physical architectures. VMs will probably not help here as Plex requires glx in order to run.
2) People who understand the vagaries of packaging for RPM and DEB.

WHAT WE DON'T NEED YET (but we love you anyway):

1) "Test users" There's not much to test yet. This client doesn't do much that you want to do yet. This will change. You WILL be needed...just not yet. If you're not sufficiently technical to build this without a lot of help, please...just wait for us to make some more progress. Don't get all offended if people don't want to spend a great pile of time helping you get the not-actually-working yet client to build in order to satisfy your curiosity. It's not personal, we're just not at a point where your contributions (which are valuable) can add to the project. We WILL get there and we WILL want your help...hopefully Real Soon Now.

EDIT BECAUSE I AM A TARD AND DIDN'T PUT THIS IN AT FIRST:

HOW TO FART AROUND WITH THE CODE:

The progress thus far is at https://github.com/gewalker/plex-linux

Go, pull, compile.

A mostly complete list of packages needed for Ubuntu 11.04 is in the README.plex-linux file. If you build on an clean distro (such as a vm) PLEASE keep track of what packages you have to install in order to get the system to build. It'll help.

The laika branch of the project is now for stable but buggy builds, ie, builds that...build. If you're going to crazy stuff, please do it in the "zoey" branch of the project. I'll merge fixes from zoey back into laika. The goal is for Elan to be able to merge from our laika into the real Plex tree as things get fixed.

And, last, to tease you, a screenshot of Plex running on my ElementaryOS Jupiter (Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit) machine:

Attached File  Screenshot.png   430.22KB   25 downloads

#2 pjv

pjv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:42 AM

F-ing Awesome!

#3 cryptochrome

cryptochrome

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:02 AM

F-ing Amazing!
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
http://flickr.com/cryptochrome
Twitter: @cryptochrome

#4 reebzor

reebzor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:29 AM

Brb: building Linux box

#5 gewalker

gewalker

• Members