25 replies to this topic

#1 JustDavid56

JustDavid56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

Hi,

I'm a new Plex user having bought an LG Smart Tv. Although I can access Plex channels via the Media link option, I'm having problems with the Media Manager on my Win 7 PC.

I have installed version 9.5 and can run Media Manager, however absolutely nothing works on the resulting web page. In the "Add Media" section, whilst the cursor highlights each option, and appears to select them when clicked, there is no response at all.

I'm hoping it's something obvious, but just in case, I've attached the latest logfile.

Thanks

David

Attached Files

#2 djlubinski

djlubinski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

First thing, to really take advantage of Plex, you need to set up a plex media server. This can be on a desktop at home or something similar, something that you generally want to keep on 24/7 as it will serve your media to all your plex devices. Go to plexapp.com, click on the icons at the bottom for windows or mac, whichever type of computer you have. Click the "Download Plex Media Server" button on the computer you want to set up the server on, install the software, select the folders where your media content is: videos, music, tv shows, home movies, photos etc... Let it run and it will automatically find album artwork, dvd covers and meta data content as well as organize and sort the media.

Now, your best bet after the server is setup is to go to my.plexapp.com and set up an account. Go back to your server, open the Media Manager (right click the tray icon, click "Media Manager"), at the top click on Preferences, click the myPlex tab and enter your username and password. Once configured and you have the Green light in the media manager, go back to the my.plexapp.com page and now click on the "Servers" tab at the top. You should see your computer listed that you just set up and it should say "Connected" if you click on it.

Now, all you need to do is... on your TV, Smartphone, laptop or desktop, whatever... Install the application, and in the settings, log into your myPlex account with the same username and password that you setup initially, and it will automatically connect to your media server that you have running and configured as your server. From here, you can add channels or videos to your queue, access all your media from within your home network of if your on a phone or your laptop away from your house, you can access your media library remotely. Having the PMS (Plex Media Server) allows you to access any of your media locally or remotely, and any channels or videos you add to your queue will be synchronized to all of your devices automatically. So, you can start watching a movie on your server from your iPhone say, and go into your living room and start where you left off watching it on yout TV. Or, add a youTube video to your queue from your laptop and it will show up on your TV, or desktop, or phone...

Really is a great service and I don't know what I would do without it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

#3 JustDavid56

JustDavid56

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

First thing, to really take advantage of Plex, you need to set up a plex media server. This can be on a desktop at home or something similar, something that you generally want to keep on 24/7 as it will serve your media to all your plex devices. Go to plexapp.com, click on the icons at the bottom for windows or mac, whichever type of computer you have. Click the "Download Plex Media Server" button on the computer you want to set up the server on, install the software, select the folders where your media content is: videos, music, tv shows, home movies, photos etc... Let it run and it will automatically find album artwork, dvd covers and meta data content as well as organize and sort the media.

Now, your best bet after the server is setup is to go to my.plexapp.com and set up an account. Go back to your server, open the Media Manager (right click the tray icon, click "Media Manager"), at the top click on Preferences, click the myPlex tab and enter your username and password. Once configured and you have the Green light in the media manager, go back to the my.plexapp.com page and now click on the "Servers" tab at the top. You should see your computer listed that you just set up and it should say "Connected" if you click on it.

Now, all you need to do is... on your TV, Smartphone, laptop or desktop, whatever... Install the application, and in the settings, log into your myPlex account with the same username and password that you setup initially, and it will automatically connect to your media server that you have running and configured as your server. From here, you can add channels or videos to your queue, access all your media from within your home network of if your on a phone or your laptop away from your house, you can access your media library remotely. Having the PMS (Plex Media Server) allows you to access any of your media locally or remotely, and any channels or videos you add to your queue will be synchronized to all of your devices automatically. So, you can start watching a movie on your server from your iPhone say, and go into your living room and start where you left off watching it on yout TV. Or, add a youTube video to your queue from your laptop and it will show up on your TV, or desktop, or phone...

Really is a great service and I don't know what I would do without it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Thanks for your reply, however I already have the media server installed (v 0.9.5.2) and I also have an account set up. I start Media Manager by right clicking on the taskbar icon but it will not let me add any media. Clicking on any of the library types does nothing at all - I can't tell it where my media is stored! Selecting the "Servers" tab on "my.plexapp.com" just tells me that I have no servers connected.

I'm sure you're right in that Plex is a great product, however at the moment it's just a royal pain as far as I'm concerned ;-)

David

#4 5stringdeath

5stringdeath

Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

It could be as simple as the web browser you are using .. try accessing the http://localhost:32400/manage page from a different browser. I'm not a windows user but there have been small problems with Safari on Mac

-------------------

Running PMS on a MacMini and Synology 412+

Clients include: PHT MacMini, PHT MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPad Retina, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Sony GS7, Nexus 7, Roku3, Chromecast, Plex Web in Chrome

Fav Plex Feature: SYNC!

#5 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:32 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but I am experiencing the same problem. I followed your advice and installed Plex media server, but I can't figure out how to add my media. You say "select folders where your media content is". How do you do that? I see a menu with 5 choices. I'll try to remember them: video channels, search, channel directory, exit and preferences. No where can I figure out how to add my media. In Myplex, I see my server listed, but there are no library sections.

#6 5stringdeath

5stringdeath

Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1293 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:34 AM

Not to hijack this thread, but I am experiencing the same problem. I followed your advice and installed Plex media server, but I can't figure out how to add my media. You say "select folders where your media content is". How do you do that? I see a menu with 5 choices. I'll try to remember them: video channels, search, channel directory, exit and preferences. No where can I figure out how to add my media. In Myplex, I see my server listed, but there are no library sections.

You are looking at the client. You add sections / media in Plex Media SERVER.

When its installed and running, open a browser on your server machine and hit http://localhost:32400/manage/

That is where you setup sections, add media locations, etc.

Then you will see those sections in the client along with video channels, search, channel directory, etc etc.

-------------------

Running PMS on a MacMini and Synology 412+

Clients include: PHT MacMini, PHT MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPad Retina, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Sony GS7, Nexus 7, Roku3, Chromecast, Plex Web in Chrome

Fav Plex Feature: SYNC!

#7 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

You are looking at the client. You add sections / media in Plex Media SERVER.

When its installed and running, open a browser on your server machine and hit http://localhost:32400/manage/

That is where you setup sections, add media locations, etc.

Then you will see those sections in the client along with video channels, search, channel directory, etc etc.

When I do what you say, I experience the same issue that the OP had. I see the Plex Media Manager screen with several things listed and the heading "Add media to your library" but I can't figure out how to do that. If I click on say, Movies, nothing happens. Same with the other categories. I see the hand when I hover over the categories, but no action occurs when I click.

#8 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:34 PM

So I saw another post where someone disabled the pop-up blocker. I thought this might be the problem with the browser I am using (Firefox). When I used Chrome, I was able to see my drives and add media. Finally, I can at least see some media.

#9 jgodfrey

jgodfrey

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

Yeah, I'd guess this is a conflict with one or more browser Add-ons. What happens if you disable your add-ons? If that fixes the problem, then I'd selectively re-enable them to locate the offending one.

Jeff

#10 kingdieselfish

kingdieselfish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:31 AM

Using Plex pkg on Synology. I have the same problem. Using firefox, login locally to plex media manager and try to add a section to library, browse for the folder, select folder. Then when I click on add section absolutely nothing happens. Tried disabling all addons, tried Google chrome, nothing. I tried logged in as admin and a Plex user, not sure if it is some kind of permission problem? I'm going crazy.

#11 Quassum

Quassum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

Exactly the same problem, on Mac here, trying to configure with Plex Media Manager on my Qnap. The "Add Section" button doesn't do anything. Tried Opera, Firefox and Safari without popup/ad blocking. Changing settings in the "Preferences" popup does work so I can at least enter and save some settings, only sections can't be saved.

#12 brfrankl

brfrankl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:12 AM

I have seen this same problem, however, what it seems to be is the server is extremely slow to respond. If I click Movies under the add section, then wait like 5 minutes, it finally brings up another screen.

Have you tried waiting and see if it ever comes up?

#13 Quassum

Quassum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

I have seen this same problem, however, what it seems to be is the server is extremely slow to respond. If I click Movies under the add section, then wait like 5 minutes, it finally brings up another screen.

Have you tried waiting and see if it ever comes up?

Thanks for the reply, just tried it again, it's been 15 minutes now. Load on the Qnap is very low, the Plex Media Serv process is between 0.0% and 0.1% of CPU no other busy processes.

#14 Quassum

Quassum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the reply, just tried it again, it's been 15 minutes now. Load on the Qnap is very low, the Plex Media Serv process is between 0.0% and 0.1% of CPU no other busy processes.

Tried it again this morning, running for over 4 hours now, nothing is happening.

#15 Chopar

Chopar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:47 AM

I had the same problem but got it working,
Make sure you update to the latest FW,

Once you install the plex app make sure you reboot the device via the power management page, log back in and notice the QPKG centre adds an additional tab.

Then try running and configuring your media..

Good Luck worked a treat for me.

#16 Quassum

Quassum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

I had the same problem but got it working,
Make sure you update to the latest FW,

Firmware for the NAS, I'm already using the latest version. What Flex version are you using? The one from Qnap or the one from Plexapp.com?

#17 Chopar

Chopar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

The one from Plexapp website

#18 Quassum

Quassum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Strange, installed that one now as well but now I just get a:

404 Not Found

if I go to http://QNAPSERVER:32...nage/index.html

#19 Chopar

Chopar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Strange, installed that one now as well but now I just get a:

404 Not Found

if I go to http://QNAPSERVER:32...nage/index.html

Your Probably not the only one, every so often i get the same error, works for a while then it just errors, Im also getting PMS movies stop updating and they dont download cover art and Movie information, unable to kick them off again to automatically update, need to do them 1 by 1.

also if you have dual nics on 2 vlans you cannot access plex from the 2 Vlans which is a bugger, ill stick to the windows based version until further dev is done.. Not very stable atm..

Hope it gets sorted soon.

#20 Quassum

Quassum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Your Probably not the only one, every so often i get the same error, works for a while then it just errors, Im also getting PMS movies stop updating and they dont download cover art and Movie information, unable to kick them off again to automatically update, need to do them 1 by 1.

also if you have dual nics on 2 vlans you cannot access plex from the 2 Vlans which is a bugger, ill stick to the windows based version until further dev is done.. Not very stable atm..

Hope it gets sorted soon.

Hmm still only 404 here, all of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users