8 replies to this topic

#1 aies4president

aies4president

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hello everyone,

New guy here using Plex! I'm used the most of the weekend setting up my plex media server, but now that I want to play the shows my Plex client won't play it. When I click on the movie or the tv show that I wan't to see it just makes a little sound and then nothing happens.

I'm using my iMac as the media server and the client. I also have brought the app for my iPhone 4. My iPhone won't play either ways. Anyone got anything they could share with me so I can start enjoying my movies :)

Thanks a lot!

/Anders
Plex is so far great!

#2 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8562 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

Welcome to Plex, Anders!

- Has content ever worked for you or did it not work the first time you tried?

- Where is your content located? Is it on the internal hard drive, an external USB drive, network share, or somewhere else?

- What versions of the Plex Media Server and Plex Media Center (client) are you running?

- What type of content are you trying to play? For instance, are they movies purchased from iTunes, content ripped from a DVD with Handbrake, or something else?

It would also help to get some log files. To do so:

1. Restart your Plex Media Server as well as the Plex client. This will give us fresh logs.

2. In the client, try to play your video.

3. Zip up and attach the "Plex.log" and "Plex Media Server.log" files to your reply here (see link in signature for info).

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#3 aies4president

aies4president

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

Hello Chris!

Thanks a lot for the reply! I will post the answers for your questions as soon as I get home from work today!

/Anders
Plex is so far great!

#4 aies4president

aies4president

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:40 PM

Hello again Chris, now I'm home from work and I will now answer your problems :)

1) My content worked one or two times, but now it won't start on my iMac 27'' mid 2011, which is my Plex Media Server and my Plex Client. My iPhone with iOS 5 won't play the content either.

2) My content is located on my Synology DS110j NAS, which is connected to my Time Capsule using an ethernet port. My iMac is also connect to my Time Capsule using a ethernet cable.

3) My Plex Media Server version is "0.9.5.2-bf472e4" and my Plex Media Center (Client) version is "0.9.5.2".

4) I'm trying to play 1080p movies as well as 720p and dvd rips. I also try to play my TV shows, all tho I can't seem to see the quality of those. My music which is mp3 won't play either.

I've zipped the log files from my ~/Library/logs after I restarted my PMS and Plex client. I hope that they will help you! :)

Thanks a lot, once more!! Please feel free to say if you need anything more from me!

/Anders

Attached File  Plex log files from Anders.zip   103.91KB   4 downloads
Plex is so far great!

#5 thempstead

thempstead

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

Looking at the Plex Server logs the lines marked as ERROR seem to indicate (to me, and others know a lot more) that the PMS server cannot see the media in order to play it back?

Is the NAS share mounted on the iMac, (can you browse it in Finder), and if it is mounted is it mounted as the same path as it was when the media was indexed?

#6 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8562 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:11 AM

thempstead is correct: the "Plex Media Server.log" file indicates that the video file you're trying to play could not be located at the specified location:

Dec 21, 2011 20:24:17 [0xb0bad000] ERROR - Couldn't find the file to stream: /Volumes/Five/Film/Harry.Potter.And.The.Deathly.Hallows.Part.2.PROPER.1080p.BluRay.X264-BLOW.mkv
Since your content is on a network share, most likely what happened is that the share got remounted with a different name, which means that it would have a different filepath. Thus, the content would no longer be located at the "/Volumes/Five/Film" path where it's expected.

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#7 aies4president

aies4president

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:03 AM

Thanks for the help thempstead and Chris!! Sometimes you just need some new eyes to look at the problem!

thempstead is correct: the "Plex Media Server.log" file indicates that the video file you're trying to play could not be located at the specified location:

Dec 21, 2011 20:24:17 [0xb0bad000] ERROR - Couldn't find the file to stream: /Volumes/Five/Film/Harry.Potter.And.The.Deathly.Hallows.Part.2.PROPER.1080p.BluRay.X264-BLOW.mkv
Since your content is on a network share, most likely what happened is that the share got remounted with a different name, which means that it would have a different filepath. Thus, the content would no longer be located at the "/Volumes/Five/Film" path where it's expected.

Aha, I also see the problem now! I've set my NAS to turn off over the night and then start again in the morning, but when I does that it needs to reconnect to my iMac. The path doesn't change when I reconnect it, it just needs to be reconnected!

Now I just need to fingure out a smart way to do this, so it reconnect automatically, anyone have the same "problem"? :)

/Anders

P.S. THANKS A LOT AGAIN!!!
Plex is so far great!

#8 thempstead

thempstead

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:28 AM

You can add the network shares as login items to your user id under OSX so that they will be auto-mounted when you log into the iMac, (this is what I do and the only problem I have is that occasionally OSX times out mounting the share before the remote NAS has spun up the disks to be accessible ... but that doesn't happen often).

#9 aies4president

aies4president

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

You can add the network shares as login items to your user id under OSX so that they will be auto-mounted when you log into the iMac, (this is what I do and the only problem I have is that occasionally OSX times out mounting the share before the remote NAS has spun up the disks to be accessible ... but that doesn't happen often).

Okay Thempstead, thanks a lot! I'll try this. and again, thanks for helping out a new guy! :rolleyes:
Plex is so far great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users