9 replies to this topic

#1 Calimero

Calimero

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

Hello,

I can't find how to throw away a file in Plex or the Plex Media Manager.
I already deleted the folder on my hard disk, and thought Plex would notice after it's scan. Media Manager does show a yellow sign now, so i think it cannot find the movie anymore.
But how do i delete this title from the Library?

With the old Plex i always used the C button and then delete (all media from this title). But now it shows: "Error. Delete failed, perhaps due to permissions". Could this be my user name and password for changes?

I'm very surprised that the Media Manager doesn't offer a delete button for the single items in the right window. Not even under right mouse button.
Does anybody know how?

Thanks..

#2 IanB!

IanB!

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2116 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hello,

I can't find how to throw away a file in Plex or the Plex Media Manager.
I already deleted the folder on my hard disk, and thought Plex would notice after it's scan. Media Manager does show a yellow sign now, so i think it cannot find the movie anymore.
But how do i delete this title from the Library?

With the old Plex i always used the C button and then delete (all media from this title). But now it shows: "Error. Delete failed, perhaps due to permissions". Could this be my user name and password for changes?

I'm very surprised that the Media Manager doesn't offer a delete button for the single items in the right window. Not even under right mouse button.
Does anybody know how?

Thanks..

In the Media Manager there is an icon with a dustbin. This will clear out any data associated with Movies that cannot be found any more. If this movie is the only instance where you see the yellow sign, it will probably just remove it...
Plugins: SkyGo, LoveFilm-Player, Crackle, Blinkbox, Stuff.tv, 5by5, RWC2011, FXUK, Jerry Seinfeld, VideoJug, SoundCloud, Ziln
Rewitten: YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, Pitchfork.TV, National Geographic
Blog: Plex Plugin DevBlog

#3 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8486 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

There's also a FAQ entry.

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#4 diamondsw

diamondsw

"Vitriolic yet well-intentioned"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:52 AM

I wonder if adding a new "Trash" section beneath the user-created sections would make it more obvious. Then when something is soft-deleted, instead of staying in its section, it moves to the trash where it can be deleted whenever, and you could indicate the number of items in the section the same way Mail or iTunes indicates new items. The only thing that may be difficult is how to move it back if desired, as you can't drag it willy-nilly into any section; only into the section it came from.

#5 adgilcan

adgilcan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

I've really tried to read all the FAQs and other threads but I am still stuck. I am currently adding all 250 movies of mine onto a new unRAID server, with PMS running from a macmini connected to my TV.

I, too, have the problem of Plex not picking up all of my movies. They are all in the same .ISO format. Sometimes they get picked up the next day and sometimes not at all.

Another problem is that one or two of them have been moved to a different folder but this is not reflected in the library manager. They can't be "revealed in Finder" because the location doesn't exist anymore but there is no /!\ associated with the file. In other words I can't get rid of them. Emptying the trash doesn't help.

Is there a way to force Plex to do a complete rescan and add new (or changed) files whilst discarding ones which no longer exist? I have tried all types of normal, turbo & deep scan refresh but none of them fix the problem. I'm beginning to think the only way round it is to add all my movies and then uninstall and reinstall Plex to force a completely new library. This wouldn't solve the long term problem of movies added in the future.

Any ideas much appreciated as I am getting very frustrated.

All the best

#6 Marreco

Marreco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

I have the same problem with pas 9.6.2! Any solution?

I've really tried to read all the FAQs and other threads but I am still stuck. I am currently adding all 250 movies of mine onto a new unRAID server, with PMS running from a macmini connected to my TV.

I, too, have the problem of Plex not picking up all of my movies. They are all in the same .ISO format. Sometimes they get picked up the next day and sometimes not at all.

Another problem is that one or two of them have been moved to a different folder but this is not reflected in the library manager. They can't be "revealed in Finder" because the location doesn't exist anymore but there is no /!\ associated with the file. In other words I can't get rid of them. Emptying the trash doesn't help.

Is there a way to force Plex to do a complete rescan and add new (or changed) files whilst discarding ones which no longer exist? I have tried all types of normal, turbo & deep scan refresh but none of them fix the problem. I'm beginning to think the only way round it is to add all my movies and then uninstall and reinstall Plex to force a completely new library. This wouldn't solve the long term problem of movies added in the future.

Any ideas much appreciated as I am getting very frustrated.

All the best

#7 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8486 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

I have the same problem with pas 9.6.2! Any solution?

Doing a Deep Scan causes the Plex Media Server to fully scan through the entire section again. If you have issues with content being picked up after a Deep Scan, then looking at the "Plex Media Scanner.log" file will usually give you some useful information. See the logs link in my signature for log info. If the log doesn't make any sense to you, feel free to zip it up and attach it to a reply here. (If you attach it here, you'll also need to provide us detailed information about precisely what the problem is.)

» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

#8 sbwoodside

sbwoodside

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

I wonder if adding a new "Trash" section beneath the user-created sections would make it more obvious.

Agreed. A trash section along the lines of iPhoto would be much clearer.

#9 nagybal

nagybal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

Dear All,

I use the most recent version of PlexMediaManager on my linux NAS. I cant find either a Trash symbol or Yellow triangles on the media files.

ps: I am not sure if this makes any difference: the files got not deleted, but moved out of the movies container... it turned out they are tv shows :)

Is the FAQ up to date?

#10 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8486 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:23 AM

Dear All,

I use the most recent version of PlexMediaManager on my linux NAS. I cant find either a Trash symbol or Yellow triangles on the media files.

ps: I am not sure if this makes any difference: the files got not deleted, but moved out of the movies container... it turned out they are tv shows :)

Is the FAQ up to date?

In the web-based Media Manager, you'll find "Empty Trash" when you click on the gear icon on the lower left. It will only be active if there's something soft deleted that's available to be emptied.

Depending on when you installed your Plex Media Server, it may or may not have been set to automatically empty the trash by default. You can look in your PMS preferences to see.

If you haven't done so yet, be sure to try a Deep Scan to ensure you pick up changes.

The FAQ should be up-to-date. If you see something that isn't, please let us know so that it can be corrected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users