• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mdusing

mdusing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

I was wondering if anyone else had had issues with sound and .mkv files on their LG SmartTV Media Link? Here is what I have found. Now .mkv files are supported and lay just fine. However the sound only works through the TV speakers. When I try to use my external stereo plugging in with the optical audio out there is no sound. I have not have this problem with any other file type. While the TV speakers are okay I would prefer to use my receiver and external speakers.

#2 jonrico

jonrico

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

Just to let you know that I had this problem for a while.

In my case everything was working sound wise with the optical out, then it suddenly stopped - only sound from the TV speakers in Media Link. Optical still worked when watching anything from any non Media Link source.

Could not fix it, but finally was able to do so by doing a factory reset of the TV from the options menu. That gave me output again on the optical, and then I changed the settings for audio out across the optical back to Auto (it defaults to PCM) and everything was good again and has remained so.

#3 mdusing

mdusing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

Interesting. I am only having this problem with MKV files. All other files play sound through the optical out as does the TV. I have a lot of content and everything else works fine. Worried a factory reset will screw up my other content.

#4 Nick - LG Training

Nick - LG Training

Dedicated Member

• LG Employee
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

If the audio processing has a glitch or encounters a problem, it will divert back to the TV speakers. It may be getting some type of encoding or memory error.

First, try turning off ARC and Simplink. Then try it with them turned on.

A reset ("Initial Setting") may fix it for you also. But, it will wipe out all user info. You don't have that optical setting mentioned above in your user menu.

If you don't want to reset, I can test that file here. I'm pretty sure my LV5500 won't do the same thing, but it's easy enough to test. Send me a PM if you want the upload info to my server.

#5 mdusing

mdusing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

If the audio processing has a glitch or encounters a problem, it will divert back to the TV speakers. It may be getting some type of encoding or memory error.

First, try turning off ARC and Simplink. Then try it with them turned on.

A reset ("Initial Setting") may fix it for you also. But, it will wipe out all user info. You don't have that optical setting mentioned above in your user menu.

If you don't want to reset, I can test that file here. I'm pretty sure my LV5500 won't do the same thing, but it's easy enough to test. Send me a PM if you want the upload info to my server.

I have tried multiple configurations and nothing seems to changes. I have turned ARC on and off and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Simplink on the remote does nothing and when I go to the audio setting while playing through SmartTV the first option is Speaker. It's set to TV Speaker and when I try to change the setting is only says No Simplink device. This setting is the sad when I play .avi and .m4v files and they work just fine. It does make a short squeal before the sound goes away like its trying. Looks like I'll just encode my files to another format.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users