Photo

Ubuntu vs. FreeNAS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Ubuntu vs. FreeNAS (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Which Linux setup is "better"?

1. FreeNAS (RAID-Z) as AFP network share? (17 votes [62.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.96%

2. Ubuntu (RAID-Z) with PMS? (10 votes [37.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sixteen2nd

sixteen2nd

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

My current setup is a Mac Mini running both PMS and Plex Client (0.9.5.x for both) with a 2TB external HDD.

I want to expand my storage and increase my redundancy so I first thought I would take an old system I have, install FreeNAS with a RAID-Z(1 or 2) and connect my Mini via AFP.

Than I thought I could install Ubuntu on that same system, configure the same RAID-Z and have it run PMS and then just have Plex Client on my Mini.

But I wanted peoples opinions. Pros and cons for both options?

Thanks!

#2 batt01

batt01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:49 AM

My current setup is a Mac Mini running both PMS and Plex Client (0.9.5.x for both) with a 2TB external HDD.

I want to expand my storage and increase my redundancy so I first thought I would take an old system I have, install FreeNAS with a RAID-Z(1 or 2) and connect my Mini via AFP.

Than I thought I could install Ubuntu on that same system, configure the same RAID-Z and have it run PMS and then just have Plex Client on my Mini.

But I wanted peoples opinions. Pros and cons for both options?

Thanks!

You should also add Unraid to to your list. FreeNas has a better UI, But Unraid is much easier to expand. Plex is well supported with easy to add plugins. Freenas is free indeed, if you want a large array you will have to buy a license. As a multimedia server, my vote is for Unraid. I cant comment on Ubuntu Server, never used it. I have used Ubuntu destop and it gets better with each revision. I am sure the sever is excellent.

If you have a old system to test on, download load Unraid and try it. It boots from a flash drive, very easy to step up. You can have a working server to test with in about 10 minutes.

#3 sixteen2nd

sixteen2nd

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:12 PM

Thanks for your reply!

I'm thinking this project may grow into a RAID array of 6+ disks and possibly other services like file sharing. As far as I can tell unRAID is only free for array's of 3 disks and costs $69+ past that so I'd like to avoid paying for the OS.

I'm leaning towards FreeNAS because it seems to be easy to setup and maintain (to quote Ron Popeil "Set it and forget it!") and it seems to have a lot of the functionality I might want to use later (SMB, AFP, FTP, RSYNC and from it's Wikipedia page it supports Apples Time Machine which might be nice). But I'm worried it might be too much of a one trick pony (that trick being file sharing) and I wonder if Ubuntu Server might be more robust if I ever wanted to add things like print sharing, DHCP, firewall, etc.

One thing I'm unsure about and was hoping others with experience would weigh in on is how an AFP mount works when the Mini goes to sleep? I have my Mini set to sleep after 30 minutes, I then wake it up with my Apple IR Remote, but I don't know if it would auto-mount the NAS again.

#4 panaman

panaman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

I use freenas, it seems to work well, i have four 2TB hard drives in a raidz and two 1 TB drives in a zfs mirror.
I am using one of those asus e350 mini ITX boards (E35M1-I) with 4gb of ram in one of these small lian li cases.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811112266

I stuck a dualport HP pci express 4x card in the pci express 16 slot. (i picked up two of them on ebay for 50 bucks)
I'm running a 2nd server with esxi 5, serving up 3 virtual machines, one is a ubunut machine that maps drives over nfs to my freenas box and runs PMS.
I have an ethernet cable directly connected between my ubuntu vm and my freenas box with Jumbo frames enabled (mtu 9000)
I run a total of three different subnets to seperate my jumbo frame and non jumbo frame networks, but that is an entirely different topic.

so far its been working pretty good, I haven't been using plex long, but I am able to transcode a 40gb rip of my avatar blu-ray movie to two roku boxes simultaneously without a problem.
I gave my ubunut 11.10 vm 4 cores and 4gb of ram.... (my esx server is a 6 core phenom II)

#5 sixteen2nd

sixteen2nd

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:29 AM

So I've decided to take a stab at Ubuntu and was hoping for some more advice.

1) 10.04, 11.04 or 11.10?

2) Desktop or Server?

I will initially set it up with RAID-Z1, Plex PMS and AFP share for network TimeMachine backups.

#6 pdonovan

pdonovan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:13 AM

To be pendatic, FreeNAS isn't 'Linux', it's FreeBSD. They're both version of Unix but have very different histories and internals.

I was using FreeNAS as an AFP/Time Machine server, but switched back to Zfsguru (zfsguru.com) which is more like a standard install of FreeBSD with a web-based management GUI on top.

I'd love to see PMS on FreeBSD. I know it's been suggested before but the devs have said they don't have enough resources to do it, which is a shame.

#7 Obliviant

Obliviant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:19 PM

I'm using Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop with 6 drives of 1TB in a raid5 setup.. and now in the process of changing the drives with 2TB disks. I have also one 500GB drive which holds the OS.

things i ran into..
I have chosen for 11.04 as it is the last version on which you still can use the old Gnome 2 desktop.. from 11.10 onwards you must use the new desktop and i don't like it one bit, can't seem to find anything anymore :lol: .. since it is a server i have no screen attached to it, which works until you reboot, then it will not show the desktop whit a "remote desktop viewer" program.. this is why i am thinking about the server edition or something like FreeNAS so i am very curious about the comments here as well..
on the PMS side.. i used to run it on my iMac and that really works great (!!).. now i can only use the web interface and that is still lagging options compared with PMS on a Mac.. You can not set preferences for the agents, you can not browse for cover/fan art.. well, you can see for yourself ofcourse as the Mac version also has the web interface
I also use the same server for SickBeard, CouchPotato and SABnzbd.. if it wasn't for the subtitles it would be a fully automated system that works very very well :P

#8 catatonicChimp

catatonicChimp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:16 AM

I currently have 6 Drive Pool in raidz2 setup running on a headless ubuntu server 10.04, I went with 10.04 as its probably a bit more stable then 11.04 and there was only a few people who had installed zfs on a 11.04 machines without problems.

originally I was on FreeNAS, but it didn't do some of the things I wanted so I shifted to raw Freebsd and built my own setup from scratch.
When Plex came out on Ubuntu I waited a bit hoping for a Freebsd version, but in the end I bit the bullet and installed ubuntu.

Two things that make it a hell of a lot easier trying to migrate a zfs file system which is native to freebsd and move it to a non-native os (ubuntu)
a) make sure you get the right version of ubuntu, I accidently downloaded and installed the 32bit ubuntu os, and well lots of crashes happened as ZFS doesn't run well on 32bit.
B) use a separate drive for the OS. it is possible to get the OS to run on top of a ZFS mount but its a lot more work and a lot can go wrong.

over all the setup is nice and stable (after you install the 64bit os), its currently reading 30days uptime. The only slight flaw I get is that sometimes it doesn't mount the zpool correctly when I boot up, and you end up in a slight panic attack as "zpool status" returns with status as corrupt.... a simple zpool export and then zpool import seems to clear it up fine.

#9 ian351c

ian351c

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

My setup has to support more than just Plex, so the short answer to the poll for me is: both!

I have FreeNAS running on a little Core i3 system with 8GB RAM and 4x2TB Drives in RaidZ. There are some potential gotchas with RaidZ in that experts recommend either a RAID controller (running in "single disk mode" in 3Ware jargon) with some kind of battery backup (either BBU on the Raid card or a UPS). This enables you to use write caching without risking your entire RaidZ volume in the event of a power outage. Or not, but I had the equipment lying around, so it worked best for me.

I also have a ESXi server that runs an Ubuntu VM which has Plex PMS installed. I then have an old Mac Mini (2006) as my Plex client.

NFS is my files sharing protocol of choice and seems to be working nicely. I've had this setup for about 6 months and it is working great so far. I did have a USB key die on the FreeNAS box, but reinstalling FreeNAS to a new key and restoring the config from backup was as bad as that got.

#10 Obliviant

Obliviant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:14 PM

i've had the ubuntu setup and it worked very nice..
now i am running FreeNAS 8.0.3 from a USB stick and have 6 1TB drives in a RaidZ.. i also managed to get sabnzbd, couchpotato, sickbeard and headphones hacked into it and it's been up for a few days now and i am very impressed with it.. of course i had to let go of PMS running on it, but that's a minor loss compared with the ease of setting up and running freenas.
at the moment it is connected over SMB as it is the easiest to set up, going to play around with AFP and NFS in a couple of days and see how that goes

i've got FreeNAS 8.2 running on a virtual machine, it's still an alpha release so many things wont exactly work as intendend, but by the looks of it freenas only gets easier and will have an option for plugins.. can't wait to see pms appearing as a plugin for it :P

not regreted to switch over to FreeNAS and from day one not even looked back once.. nuff said

#11 fluentd

fluentd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

i've had the ubuntu setup and it worked very nice..
now i am running FreeNAS 8.0.3 from a USB stick and have 6 1TB drives in a RaidZ.. i also managed to get sabnzbd, couchpotato, sickbeard and headphones hacked into it and it's been up for a few days now and i am very impressed with it.. of course i had to let go of PMS running on it, but that's a minor loss compared with the ease of setting up and running freenas.
at the moment it is connected over SMB as it is the easiest to set up, going to play around with AFP and NFS in a couple of days and see how that goes

i've got FreeNAS 8.2 running on a virtual machine, it's still an alpha release so many things wont exactly work as intendend, but by the looks of it freenas only gets easier and will have an option for plugins.. can't wait to see pms appearing as a plugin for it :P

not regreted to switch over to FreeNAS and from day one not even looked back once.. nuff said

I am interested where you found tutorials on installing Sab, CP, and SB? I currently run these programs on a separate workstation that has to be running 24/7 but would like to have this all running on my Freenas server. Any help would be great.

#12 Obliviant

Obliviant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

I am interested where you found tutorials on installing Sab, CP, and SB? I currently run these programs on a separate workstation that has to be running 24/7 but would like to have this all running on my Freenas server. Any help would be great.

if you're running FreeNAS 8.. go here .. http://sourceforge.n...hp?f=15&t=11618
if you're running FreeNAS 7 .. go here .. http://sourceforge.n...hp?f=15&t=11017
hope that helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users