• Please log in to reply
352 replies to this topic

#201 SydBau

SydBau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

Is there any way all of us eagerly waiting can help in pushing Panasonic with the process?

#202 VieraApp

VieraApp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

The progress so far is not going well, and is incredibly frustrating.  This is my last e-mail to Panasonic:

VIERA,

jQuery is a Javascript library that conforms to the Javascript ECMA specifications.  The jQuery library is included within the app using the <script> tag.
<script src="js/jquery-2.0.3.min.js"></script>

Essentially, jQuery implements a Javascript class “$”, which then provide additional Javascript functions.  However, it is 100% Javascript - it is just a set of functions to make using Javascript easier.  It is the most popular Javascript library in the world, and is currently used on both the developer.vieraconnect.com and www.panasonic.com websites.  In the end, all calls to jQuery are Javascript.  If you look at the jQuery library itself, you will see it is all Javascript:

If you have any questions, please let me know.  Thank you.
And here was their reply:
We only accept Apps which uses our API.

A workaround like this is considered a hack.

Please have a read of the Panasonic VIERA CONNECT License Agreement, Section 2.4

Section 2.4 of their license is as follows:
2.4 Licensee Application.  Licensee shall be responsible, at its own costs and expenses, for selecting, hosting, delivering, managing, Licensee Applications. Licensee shall comply with all applicable laws and regulations, including those where Licensee Applications may be delivered, and shall also comply with the content policy attached hereto as Exhibit A. Licensee shall agree and acknowledge that (i) such Licensee Applications must not contain any malware, harmful code, program or other internal component (e.g. computer viruses, Trojan horses) which could damage, destroy, or adversely affect other software, firmware, hardware or services, (ii) Developer shall not include any other content without permission of the owner of such content, (iii) Licensee Application shall not disable or hack any secure functionality of Devices, (iv) Licensee Application may only use Panasonic APIs for the sole purpose of developing one or more Licensee Application to be made available on VIERA Connect Platform (for the avoidance of doubt, Licensee may not use Panasonic APIs for any other purpose other than developing Licensee Application), (v) Licensee Applications shall comply with any applicable laws (vi) Licensee Applications shall not violate any legal rights of third parties, (vii) Licensee Applications shall not disable or interfere with any system alerts, panels, or warnings implemented by Panasonic (viii) in the event Licensee Applications include any FOSS (free and open source software), Licensee shall comply with all applicable FOSS licensing terms and (ix) Licensee shall include the Licensee’s contact information, including but not limited to Licensee’s URL or e-mail address, which enables Panasonic to contact with Licensee directly. Further, Licensee shall immediately notify to Panasonic in writing in the event Licensee Applications and/or Licensee servers does not work for whatever reason.

Their "API" is just HTML, CSS, and Javascript.  I am continuing to push this through, but if they don't understand basic jQuery (the most popular Javascript library in the world), I'm not optimistic.  I may have to rewrite the whole app, which is not something I am looking forward to doing.

#203 hmansell

hmansell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

The progress so far is not going well, and is incredibly frustrating.  This is my last e-mail to Panasonic:

Their "API" is just HTML, CSS, and Javascript.  I am continuing to push this through, but if they don't understand basic jQuery (the most popular Javascript library in the world), I'm not optimistic.  I may have to rewrite the whole app, which is not something I am looking forward to doing.

Could you just inline the parts of jQuery you need in your script?  I assume it is the import of the jquery script that they are objecting to.  I believe this complies with the terms of the MIT license as long as you include their copyright header.

#204 damianiw

damianiw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

I think I see why there are so few apps for smart tvs

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

#205 msm8bball

msm8bball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:21 AM

I think you should request that your app submission goes to the App Reviewer's supervisor. Explain how this could bring much negative press for them (the story is now on Slashdot).

#206 yknott

yknott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:26 AM

Have you seen http://youmightnotneedjquery.com/ ? I mean this seriously, I totally agree that Panasonic should allow you to use jQuery. It's for all intents and purposes a standard web library. I haven't seen all you're doing with it, but from your slashdot post, you mention that you use only the ajax method. There are some great simple replacements on that site that might help you just get the app approved.

Good luck!

#207 mhealey

mhealey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:45 AM

Better let them know that panasonic.com has been hacked, as it's littered with jquery on almost every page....

Attached File  Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 11.37.58 am.png   452.65KB   21 downloads

#208 Atasco

Atasco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

Would be intresting if the YouTube app im the store uses jquery.... i would be surprised if not...

#209 evil_shinobi

evil_shinobi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

Man that sucks... I wondered, why there's so few app and the most for indian shows...

Hope you can publish this somehow. Switzerland is waiting too :)

I will donate you a good amount, when you can publish it for my country :D It's more than worth it :)

#210 edddeduck

edddeduck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

I'd just politely point out that they support the Javascript as part of their SDK and all your code including jquery is 100% Javascript therefore compliant with their licensing rules.

Additionally you might want to point out according to the text you quoted they allow usage of other libraries etc, they even have a FOSS section about correctly attributing if you do! So if anything all you need to do is give them the appropriate information and acredditaion for jquery (as it has a MIT FOSS License) and highlight the section in their rules that allows this.

I have had similar issues with games submissions to certain companies and I guess this will be similar, usually the person reviewing your software isn't that knowledgeable and is reading off a checklist. If you don't get any movement I would politely as for an escalation to someone higher. Feel free to PM me if my experience with this stuff can help you get this sorted. I am pretty sure once you get to someone who understands the technology you should be fine. 

Good luck!

Edwin

#211 redknight

redknight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Is there anyway for us to communicate with Panasonic in a constructive way to let them know more of the project and the backing it has from the community? Much like they did with the Samsung app

#212 garethe

garethe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

Is there anyway for us to communicate with Panasonic in a constructive way to let them know more of the project and the backing it has from the community? Much like they did with the Samsung app

Perhaps by pointing out that (presumably) their biggest competitors were quite happy to support and allow an app to be developed, may get them listening....

#213 TonyA

TonyA

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Perhaps by pointing out that (presumably) their biggest competitors were quite happy to support and allow an app to be developed, may get them listening....

If you read one of my earlier posts, I
actually emailed Panasonic and they reckon there is no demand for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#214 didu

didu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:58 PM

I sended a mail too :( and twitte all panasonic page...

Never got a single answer.

I think they totally dont care and they are far to understand what is the power of community ><

I imagine that the developper who have to check the application is the trainee of the coffe machine. Because to understand so easy things you need at least be in first year of IT.

#215 jpsoutlook

jpsoutlook

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:46 PM

Just my 2 cents, but I think its best to escalate to supervisor or person in charge of that division so they can not only allow, but update their policy.   

My Environment

Cox DOCSIS 3.0
Linksys E4200 Firmware Version: 1.0.05
Linksys SE2800 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
EX495/WHS2011 4GB DDR2 Q9550S 2.83ghz/WDBlack 7200rpm x 4

Linksys EG005W Gigabit 5-Port Workgroup Switch
Linksys SE2800 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Linksys E4200 Firmware Version: 1.0.05 in (bridged mode)

Living Room
Samsung UN75F8000 Latest firmware
Onkyo TX-NR5009 Latest firmware
Center Polk Audio LSiC
Front Polk Audio LSi7
Subx2 Polk Audio DSW PRO 600
L/R Polk Audio LC80F/X
Rears Polk Audio LC65F/X

Master Bedroom
Panasonic 65VT50 Latest firmware
Marantz NR1604 Latest firmware
Boston Acoustics A2310 HTS 5.1 Speaker 

Den
Samsung LN40A650
Kenwood VR705 5.1 System
WD TV Live Media Player Wi-fi

#216 Mael5trom

Mael5trom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:37 AM

Have you seen http://youmightnotneedjquery.com/ ? I mean this seriously, I totally agree that Panasonic should allow you to use jQuery. It's for all intents and purposes a standard web library. I haven't seen all you're doing with it, but from your slashdot post, you mention that you use only the ajax method. There are some great simple replacements on that sight that might help you just get the app approved.

Good luck!

I created an account specifically to recommend this.  It seems like, although it got a lot of negative press, from myself as well, this is exactly the kind of situation that this site was developed for.  Particularly if you are only using some simple things like the Ajax library, you could write your own mini-library using some of these snippets and assign that library to the $ variable - you might be able to get away without any core code changes if you are careful.  You might also look and see if one of the other mini-libraries like Zepto or Xui would handle the things you are doing (single platform, so no real worry about compatibility, it either works or it doesn't).  You can find other micro-libraries here: http://microjs.com/

Another thought is to minify and concatenate all of your JS code, if that is allowed, into a single file.  They really wouldn't be able to tell what you used then, at least given their seeming level of ability as described.

#217 forgivegod

forgivegod

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

Maybe if they used jQuery, http://developer.vieraconnect.com/  wouldn't look and act like crap.

#218 ClintonGallagher

ClintonGallagher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:19 PM

I tweeted about this as @virtualCableTV which is one way to expose these companies cheating us.

That said, I was planning to become a developer for Panasonic as I've heard they announced at CES2014 their new VIERA TV sets support TV programs and our apps on the same screen at the same time like digital signage. Can anybody confirm this? If so is it just split-screen with TV on one side (black bars on top and bottom) and our app content on the other in a maximized browser?

#219 T-Law

T-Law

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:51 AM

How can I help out? If we make enough noise surely they will take notice

"The squeaky wheel gets the oil"

#220 c.r.constandse@gmail.com

c.r.constandse@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Count me in as well! I'm checking this forum every day, and would love to help out in any way possible to speed up the process!!

Chris

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users