• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kiniki

kiniki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

I'm running the Media Server on Windows 7.

Last night I set everything up, with a myplex account and scanned media files etc. This morning I restarted the server and was able to see everything in myplex and on the Android App..

However an hour later, I log into myplex and now the server is "unavailable". I restarted the server, then I could get access again. The green light is always on in the myplex settings on the server. But it seems to keep turning its self off... not sure whether it's when I close the browser window or just after a certain length of time.

Any idea's on what might be the problem?

#2 Drazik

Drazik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

This sounds like the same issue I'm having. Initially I can make a connection via myPlex and everything works fine. But after a short period of time (like minutes) of streaming a film, or browsing my picture library, my server will stop responding and becomes unavailable, requiring me to restart the server to bring it back online.

I am using both the iPad and Android client and the same thing happens using either client.

Please can anyone help with this!!

#3 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

@kiniki; Just to confirm, you are experiencing your Plex Server going offline after periods of not playing any media? Have you tried to play something on your Android client even though the server is shown offline on the website? Has your media server stop responding whilst playing media?

@Drazik: Does you server also go offline in the MyPlex website when your playback cuts outs? Have you noticed it offline when you go idle as well?

Could I get you both to upload and attached your Plex Media Server.log from your PMS pls?
http://wiki.plexapp....#Plex_Log_Files
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#4 Drazik

Drazik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:31 PM

@Trudge; If I look at the server status via MyPlex it shows as Unavailable. I haven't noticed it go unavailable when idle. For instance, my server had been left idle all night and I connected via WiFi at home this morning no problem. Then connected my iPad via MyPlex whilst on way to work, initially all ok, but stopped getting a response after a few minutes. MyPlex server status now shows as 'Unavailable'.

I shall upload log when I get home.

#5 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Is this only for remote access via the android app or MyPlex? If so, see my thread here

I resolved my problem by setting my Media Server pc's IP to static, and setting up manual port forwarding to 32400. Not supposed to have to do this if you use MyPlex, but nothing else seemed to work. Hasn't gone unavailable since then.

#6 Drazik

Drazik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

@karrun: Awesome, I've been playing with different setups this evening and manually setting the port to 32400 and forwarding on my router seems to have done the trick. I've had my iPad streaming a film over the LAN whilst also playing another movie via MyPlex on my Android phone, with no problems. Seems like there must be an issue with UPNP!

Many thanks for your input!

If it's of any use to the devs etc., I can upload my before and after logs?

#7 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

@karrun: Awesome, I've been playing with different setups this evening and manually setting the port to 32400 and forwarding on my router seems to have done the trick. I've had my iPad streaming a film over the LAN whilst also playing another movie via MyPlex on my Android phone, with no problems. Seems like there must be an issue with UPNP!

Many thanks for your input!

If it's of any use to the devs etc., I can upload my before and after logs?

The pre logs would be good, just to check if this is the same issue I think it is or something new. I suspect they will show the auto config running along happily till all of a sudden it just stops. I personally used to have the exact same thing until Apple released the latest version of the Airport Extreme firmware which has fixed it for me.
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2

#8 Drazik

Drazik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

The pre logs would be good, just to check if this is the same issue I think it is or something new. I suspect they will show the auto config running along happily till all of a sudden it just stops. I personally used to have the exact same thing until Apple released the latest version of the Airport Extreme firmware which has fixed it for me.

ok, i'll experiment with this setup for a bit and if it does prove to be stable then I'll revert back and save a new log when it falls over and upload for you.

#9 Trudge

Trudge

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

ok, i'll experiment with this setup for a bit and if it does prove to be stable then I'll revert back and save a new log when it falls over and upload for you.

Don't worry about breaking things again just to get the log, i thought you might have had it saved. :)

#10 Drazik

Drazik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

All is still not quite right in the Plex world! Manual port forwarding has certainly appeared to fixed my server going into an unavailalbe state, but this morning I was streaming a movie via MyPlex, all was fine. Stopped Playback after a few minutes and then tried to browse my Picture libarary. After a minute or so, I had lost sever response and am now not able to reconnect. The MyPlex website however still shows my server as being online...

Any further help on this much welcome!

@Trudge: I dont mind breaking my system for the logs! Just want Plex to be awesome!

#11 ZombeApocalips

ZombeApocalips

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

Having pretty similar issues. I'm hoping someone will have had some luck.
PMS running on windows xp, static IPv4 address, port forwarded on default port (I think it's 32401). Pled client running on Android. Seems to work fine over LAN but any time I try to stream over 3G the media will play for about one minute and then stop. Then I get an error that it's having trouble playing this media file. Same message for any other file I try to play. If I exit from the client and restart it I get the unable to connect message. WAN ip hasn't changed. If I restart the server it works but when the video inevitably and abruptly stops the cycle again repeats itself.

I must say i'm not really happy with this software. I was using tversity and despite that program lacking a proper client interface, I actually found it to be far more stable. The client won't even connect using a dynDNS domain name, which shouldn't be that complicated. Anyhow, any help would be appreciated.

#12 ZombeApocalips

ZombeApocalips

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Reformatted to linux and tried again. Marginally better performance. Still having issues.

#13 chris@christianford.com

chris@christianford.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Not sure if this helps at all, but I had a very very similar experience, but as it turned out it wasn't the plex service crashing. I have 1 NIC Card, and 1 Wireless card. I did not look at the logs to figure this out, I simply disabled the wireless card, to insure that plex only had 1 IP to play with, and I haven't had this issue since. The issue was similar to yours in losing it on the myplex, or randomly video's simply stopping, or the TV Shows, Movies etc disappearing randomly.

So if you have more then 1 IP associated to a NIC or you have 2 connections as I did, it maybe your issue.

#14 ScottJColby

ScottJColby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

I had a similar issue

I could stream to my phone or other device fine while at home on my Lan or even a few hours after I left but enventually I could not connect and when I went to the web based My Plex it showed my home windows 7 pc and server as unavailable.

I set up port forwarding on my router and gave my sever a static IP on my home Lan reserving it an address on the router - the same thing would still happen.

Then I was looking in the advanced power profile configurations in windows 7 and while I had long ago configured my computer never to sleep I saw hibernation was still on.

I disabled hiberation and now my computer stays on and accessible across the internet.

Hope this helps someone else.

SC