• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 schloph

schloph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

I have searched the forum but can't seem to find a definative answer - can Plex for Roku play iso files?

All my films are in iso format and i have plex streaming them to iphone and windows computers with no problem but have seen a mixed response on Roku.

It would be good to know as will make descision to buy a Roku or not - i don't fancy re-encoding all 300 iso to another format if i can help it!

Thanks in advance for your help

#2 Alan Morgan

Alan Morgan

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

I'm not sure. I think that I saw someone say that PMS doesn't support it, but the PMC does, so you can play them back locally, but you can't stream them. I'm not 100% sure about that though, I may be mixing them up with VOB files. (I don't trust my memory at this point...)

I'd suggest giving it a shot. Try to stream them via PMC and see if it works (see if you can avoid it playing back through the local file, pref. by using Laika on another computer if you have one available). If that works, give the Roku playback a shot.
Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

Posted Image

#3 Alan Morgan

Alan Morgan

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:46 AM

Sorry, I missed that you don't already have a Roku already.

The question is more if the Plex server will support streaming them. The Roku will not support playback of ISO files, but if the Plex server can transcode them to something like HLS, then the Roku should be able to play back the transcoded version. Of course, there is a CPU overhead to transcoding.

A user in this thread mentioned ISO files. Maybe send them a PM for more details on how it works to help make your decision?
Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

Posted Image

#4 schloph

schloph

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Alan,

Thanks for your help. yes Plex seems fine with the ISOs i have currently and streams no problem so looks like it should work. other options is to see if i can get to work on raspberry pi when they come.

thanks again

#5 lehenryjr

lehenryjr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:55 PM

I recently purchased the Roku 2 XS and I'm finding that the Roku with Plex seems to play ISO's just fine.
http://www.lehsys.co...isos-very-cool/

I was looking through the Plex website and they report that they don't officially support ISO because ISO isn't a compatible streaming format, but Plex seems to do it just fine.
I have used the wireless and the wired connection; no streaming issues as of yet. But I have confirmed that Plex server does need to have ample performance to do play back though.

I wish Plex would support ISO on a better level.
I'm still playing with it.

Later,
Larry

#6 hozedhead

hozedhead

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

I was looking through the Plex website and they report that they don't officially support ISO because ISO isn't a compatible streaming format, but Plex seems to do it just fine.
I have used the wireless and the wired connection; no streaming issues as of yet. But I have confirmed that Plex server does need to have ample performance to do play back though.

I wish Plex would support ISO on a better level.
I'm still playing with it.

The main issue with ISOs is that PMS can't handle the menus. I don't see any benefit from ripping and re-authoring a DVD or BR to ISO, sans menus, to play on Plex when you can just as easily convert it to MP4 and bypass the need for transcoding each and every time the content is played back.

PMS 0.9.6.9 Windows XP SP3
Roku N1000 Software v3.1 Build 1167

#7 spinbot

spinbot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:15 PM

The main issue with ISOs is that PMS can't handle the menus. I don't see any benefit from ripping and re-authoring a DVD or BR to ISO, sans menus, to play on Plex when you can just as easily convert it to MP4 and bypass the need for transcoding each and every time the content is played back.

The issue I think that many of us face is that we've built a media library based on rips to ISO format. I've got around 3000 movies on my media server, ALL in ISO format. Converting to any other format would just take too long. It took me over a year to rip all my DVD's to ISO in the first place. I didn't have any forethought in to emerging media players, as maybe if I did, I would have ripped my DVD's differently. What I did is focus on what worked with my Popcorn Hour A110 and was the cleanest to work with. It was also a format I could burn to DVD with ease and take with me in my travels, in the car for the kids, etc. and not worry about it being damaged, lost, stolen, etc.

With respect to Plex working for some, what i don't understand it why for some and not for others. I've only got one front-end device to run Plex on ( LG SmartTV ) and I am unable to play any ISO, be it with menus or with menu's stripped from it. I don't know if the location of my content, relative to the plex media server software is a factor? My setup has Plex running on a Window's 7 machine, media on an UnRaid Media Server linked together through a Gigabit switch. The LG TV with Plex App running on it is currently running over WiFi. I have no issues running other content through it in other formats (I have .avi's of trailers in the same folder of many of the ISO movies and the trailer plays fine).

Plex has the ability to add Plugins, its unfortunate that nobody with the necessary skills has been able to write the code for one to run ISO/IMG files.

#8 lehenryjr

lehenryjr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

From my position, Plex IS playing ISO's, albeit Plex says it doesn't support it; it works fine for me. And another good point, and Roku should thank Plex, but if I couldn't have devised a way to play my ISO's I would have returned my Roku by now. I'm enjoying the hell out of flipping through my ISO library and playing movies at will— it's so nice.

Obviously, Plex is doing something already for reading ISO's; my request was really that it needs a shine and buff…

But to the other issue, sounds like all Plex clients aren't created equal… that's another issue.

I really appreciate it…

Later,
Larry

#9 hozedhead

hozedhead

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

From my position, Plex IS playing ISO's

You're not mentioning in your posts here that you strip the menus when you rip to ISO, which may not be the case for others who have large libraries of ISOs. For those who've ripped their DVDs with menus, playback with Plex is not feasible.

PMS 0.9.6.9 Windows XP SP3
Roku N1000 Software v3.1 Build 1167

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users