• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sim667

sim667

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

I set my freind up so he could share my server the other day. However whenever we try and play a video on his macbook he gets a video cannot be played error.

We're on different networks, he can see my shared content, just not watch it.

Any pointers on sorting this?

#2 sim667

sim667

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:05 AM

Should add it works fine on my iOS applications, when im signed into myplex...... I've just tested it across 3g.

So i would think it unlikely to be a port issue on my network.

#3 mikestancato@gmail.com

mikestancato@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

I am oddly having the same issue. Strange thing is. She can access the music from my share, yet every time she tries to start a movie (Yes, she can see all my movies and everything) she receives the "Error:Error While Opening File" message. She is in Colorado, and I am in New Hampshire. But I didn't think that should make a difference. Ports are all forwarded correctly (on my side at least), and I can access the movies from another laptop on the same network using a different account. Any help would be much appreciated.

Things I have tried:
- Rebooting Server
- Rebooting both PCs
- Updating Both Clients and the Server
- Logging onto a separate account, on a separate computer, but on same network (All works).
- Different video formats
- Music Stream (Music streams work fine for her)

Thanks again,
Mike

#4 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8647 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:55 AM

I think this issue is going to take some logs to investigate. This is going to need logs from both the server and the remote client.

1. Restart both the Plex Media Server and the remote client so we have fresh logs

2. Try to play the content in the client

3. On the client, zip up the "Plex.log" file

4. On the server, zip up the "Plex Media Server.log" file

5. Attach both files to the reply here

(See link in signature for info on logs.)

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#5 mikestancato@gmail.com

mikestancato@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

Here are the two log files you have requested.

My "Plex Media Server" log, and her "Plex Client" log.

Hope this can help us. Thanks for the speedy reply Ninja.

Attached Files

#6 mikestancato@gmail.com

mikestancato@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Anyone out there? ::pokes::

#7 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8647 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

Nothing definitive yet, mike. Things seem to be correct on the server side based on the log. Have you tried (or, well, has she tried) fully rebooting the computer before trying to stream rather than just restarting the client application? The client log shows a line related to a DLL, but I don't know if it's actually related to what's being experienced or not.

» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

#8 mikestancato@gmail.com

mikestancato@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:44 AM

Yes. She did try restarting her PC. I also restarted the server multiple times. =/

And the issue isn't her streaming. The Server is on my computer. She only has the client installed. I have shared my content with her. She can play music albums from my share, but she cannot watch my videos. She just continuously receives, "Error: Error opening file" on a few movies, and on the others, "Please Wait" would be displayed, but the movie doesn't start.

#9 sim667

sim667

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:45 PM

I can get the logs, but it might take a while as the other computer is at my friends house.

#10 mikestancato@gmail.com

mikestancato@gmail.com

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

So there is no fix to this issue it seems, is there?

#11 seriousplay

seriousplay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:05 AM

Trying to keep this thread alive...

I am also having the same problem:
1. Streaming movie from local server works. Remote stream to iPhone and Android device works.
2. Streaming from remote server doesn't work.

Thanks for the help in advance!

#12 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8647 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:35 AM

Re-reading the thread, it occurs to me there's something I neglected to ask...

On the remote desktop client, what is the quality setting under "Preferences > System > myPlex"? The default is "Direct Play", which will quite possibly not work at all depending on your bandwidth situation at each end (and the source quality of the video being requested). I'd recommend starting with a low setting such as 720kbps or maybe 1.5mbps, depending on what the upload bandwidth is like for the PMS end.

#13 sim667

sim667

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

Re-reading the thread, it occurs to me there's something I neglected to ask...

On the remote desktop client, what is the quality setting under "Preferences > System > myPlex"? The default is "Direct Play", which will quite possibly not work at all depending on your bandwidth situation at each end (and the source quality of the video being requested). I'd recommend starting with a low setting such as 720kbps or maybe 1.5mbps, depending on what the upload bandwidth is like for the PMS end.

I will get my friend to try this later and report back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users