25 replies to this topic

#1 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

I posted this in the Android forum, but someone suggested I post this here.
What would cause my remote server to become unavailable after an hour or so? The pc that PMS is running on doesn't sleep, or restart. I tried to connect remotely and got this message. I had my husband shut down Plex server at home, then restart. Myplex server turned green (online) and I was able to remotely view my media on my phone. Later, I tried and got the unable to reach server message on my phone app. Logging in on my pc to myplex, and I see that my server is again unavailable. I tried this again this morning before I left the house and the same thing happened. But I am able to see my media over my home network.
Would this have something to do with dynamic IP being set on my router? But I thought that would only come into play if my pc is restarted.

#2 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8647 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:43 AM

The two most likely reasons I see why this might occur for you:

1. Your external/WAN IP is changing and that info isn't getting updated to the myPlex server. It seems pretty unlikely that your external IP would change that frequently, though - normally if you do get routine changes, it would be more like once every 24 hours or longer.

2. Your computer running the Plex Media Server is getting a new DHCP address for some reason. Perhaps another WiFi device in your house (phone, laptop, tablet, etc.) is "stealing" the normal address for some reason? An easy way to test that would be to set up that computer with a static IP or else a reserved IP via the router.

Need help? Having trouble?
» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

(please, no private messages unless requested)

#3 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Is the external IP the one that shows when you look at servers under Myplex? If that is the case, I'm pretty sure that hasn't changed.
As for number 2, we do have many devices connected wirelessly. I will look into setting up a static IP for the computer running the server and see if that helps.
Thanks for replying.

#4 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8647 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

Yes, the IP you see listed for your server on the myPlex website is your external IP. So, definitely sounds like you should try a static/reserved local IP address for your server computer and see if that makes a difference.

» Visit our Support Site for documentation, guides, and more - including the Getting Started section!
» Provide Log Files when reporting issues // Name and Organize your content correctly for best results

#5 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

Well, unfortunately setting my IP to static didn't solve the issue. I changed it yesterday, and again, today the server is unavailable again.
Stopping and restarting the server made it visible again, but by the time I got to work it was again unavailable.

#6 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Still hoping for a resolution on this issue. Connecting remotely is impossible. I'd appreciate any thoughts on a fix.

#7 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8647 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:55 PM

Let's see if perhaps the logs might have anything useful.

1. Restart your PMS so we get fresh logs

2. Make sure it's connected successfully to myPlex to start. Then let your issue occur.

3. Once your server becomes unavailable, please zip up and attach the "Plex Media Server.log" file (see link in signature for info)

#8 Storem

Storem

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

I see the same thing happening. My external IP changes daily, but my PMS does not detect the IP change... and so it becomes unavailable in myPlex.

At the moment the only work-around I see is to detect the external IP change through a third-party app/script and restart PMS when it does.

Maybe PMS could ping myPlex periodically with its new external IP address? Another option would be to allow listing your external hostname in myPlex. My router detects the external IP change and changes the IP my DynDNS hostname points to accordingly.

#9 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

Well, inexplicably I am now able to access my media remotely, even though myplex continues to say my server is unavailable. The only client that doesn't work when the server is unavailable now is myplex. I would attach a log file, but I am afraidn I can't find it. I have Vista, an am unable to locate %LOCALAPPDATA%\Plex Media Server\Logs\. If someone could help me ocate this file, I'd be happy to post it.

#10 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

I was wrong about being able to access remotely. I could only access it on my local network.As soon as I tried to access it from work the same thing happened. I finally found the hidden folders with the PMS log. I tried to attach it but it said I wasn't permitted to upload it. I tried to copy it into my post, and it said my post was too long. What now?

#11 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:31 PM

Trying again with a new log file

Nope, still won't let me attached Plex Server log.txt file

#12 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8647 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

As mentioned earlier, please zip up the file before trying to attach. The forums won't allow .log files to be uploaded, but you can upload zip files.

#13 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Sorry, didn't see the bit about zipping them. Here is the zipped log file.

Attached Files

#14 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:48 AM

Is there anything else you need from me? is the log file helpful?

#15 Chris C

Chris C

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8647 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:14 AM

karrun, I sent you a private message on the site yesterday since some of the information was sensitive. You should be able to access it via the little user area at the top-right of the forum page here.

#16 dcplaya

dcplaya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

karrun, I sent you a private message on the site yesterday since some of the information was sensitive. You should be able to access it via the little user area at the top-right of the forum page here.

I have a feeling its the external IP change because I am having the same problem. Is there a way for myPlex to ping a dynamic DNS site? I have my router to update a dynamic DNS whenever the external IP changes.

#17 karrun

karrun

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Well I did something last night that hopefully solved my problem. I changed the MyPlex settings in PMS to manually specify port to 32400. I also opened up port forwarding of that port through my router. It was my understanding that if you used Myplex that wasn't necessary (and I did have two green buttons initially in MyPlex under preferences ). But now when I go to servers under My.plexapp.com, it shows my server as online, even after several hours. The real test will be if I can see my media remotely.

#18 ath3na

ath3na

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

I was hoping that maybe some folks have had some success that perhaps I could be helped as well. I don't know what the heck is going on but Plex was on an connected through MyPlex up until a few days ago. Suddenly it's not connected anymore and I continue to keep the message that states "myPlex is unable to connect to your account." The port is forwarded properly and all of that jazz but I'm still unable to access it. I had specified a specific port but inexplicably that checkbox has disappeared as a setting on the server preferences page.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I leave to go out of town on Saturday and was planning to access content via Plex while traveling.

Thanks for any help you're able to provide!

-Athena

P.S. In the case that the log file is useful, I've attached it. I saw some errors and such but I'm not real sure what I'm looking for. Again, I'd VERY much appreciate any help that anyone is able to provide!

Attached Files

#19 dcplaya

dcplaya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

I was hoping that maybe some folks have had some success that perhaps I could be helped as well. I don't know what the heck is going on but Plex was on an connected through MyPlex up until a few days ago. Suddenly it's not connected anymore and I continue to keep the message that states "myPlex is unable to connect to your account." The port is forwarded properly and all of that jazz but I'm still unable to access it. I had specified a specific port but inexplicably that checkbox has disappeared as a setting on the server preferences page.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! I leave to go out of town on Saturday and was planning to access content via Plex while traveling.

Thanks for any help you're able to provide!

-Athena

P.S. In the case that the log file is useful, I've attached it. I saw some errors and such but I'm not real sure what I'm looking for. Again, I'd VERY much appreciate any help that anyone is able to provide!

The newest update to PMS (for Ubuntu Linux its already out that I know of) states that PMS now reports IP changes to myPlex. Hopefully that is there to fix this issue

#20 ath3na

ath3na

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

The newest update to PMS (for Ubuntu Linux its already out that I know of) states that PMS now reports IP changes to myPlex. Hopefully that is there to fix this issue

Unfortunately the update did not solve the problem. The port mapping has the green light and therefore is forwarded correctly but myPlex is still unable to connect. This is kinda crap tbh... the software only worked for a few weeks before it broke and I've yet to be able to figure out how to fix it. Any other suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users