• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 digitaltailor

digitaltailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

I was wondering if anyone knew about Media Center integration with Plex Server. It says on the blog that a couple Windows developers were hired, and that they integrated it with Media Center. I assume they were just referring to the Desktop version of Plex. So far, The Plex Media Manager does not recognize .wtv files. Is this to come in a future version? Is there a plugin for it? Sorry for the noob questions. I only discovered Plex like 2 weeks ago. I would love for it to work with Windows Media Center, as I won't be tackling MythTV until June. B)

#2 altweb

altweb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

I was wondering if anyone knew about Media Center integration with Plex Server. It says on the blog that a couple Windows developers were hired, and that they integrated it with Media Center. I assume they were just referring to the Desktop version of Plex. So far, The Plex Media Manager does not recognize .wtv files. Is this to come in a future version? Is there a plugin for it? Sorry for the noob questions. I only discovered Plex like 2 weeks ago. I would love for it to work with Windows Media Center, as I won't be tackling MythTV until June. B)

I have plex media server playing wtv files today without any issue. I use AppleTV and plex desktop as the front end to play the content. Windows media center is recording the over the air digital HD shows and then plex media manager monitors the recorded tv folder. I thought it was out of the box now, but here are some steps you can follow.

Steps to add WTV:

1. Install the latest version of plex server for windows
2. Shutdown Plex Media Server (click on tray icon and choose exit)
3. Open the following file in a text editor: C:\Users\{YOURUSERNAME}\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Scanners.bundle\Contents\Resources\Common\VideoFiles.py
4. Add .wtv the video_exts variable (see code block)

video_exts = ['3gp', 'asf', 'asx', 'avc', 'avi', 'avs', 'bin', 'bivx', 'bup', 'divx', 'dv', 'dvr-ms', 'evo', 'fli', 'flv', 'ifo', 'img', 
              'iso', 'm2t', 'm2ts', 'm2v', 'm4v', 'mkv', 'mov', 'mp4', 'mpeg', 'mpg', 'mts', 'nrg', 'nsv', 'nuv', 'ogm', 'ogv', 
              'pva', 'qt', 'rm', 'rmvb', 'sdp', 'svq3', 'strm', 'ts', 'ty', 'vdr', 'viv', 'vob', 'vp3', 'wmv', 'wpl', 'wtv', 'xsp', 'xvid']
5. Delete C:\Users\{YOURUSERNAME}\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Scanners.bundle\Contents\Resources\Common\VideoFiles.pyc

5a. This is the compiled version that needs to be removed. Notice the .pyc extension

6. Start PLEX and add WTV folder to Media Manager

#3 WarDog

WarDog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

Steps to add WTV:

4. Add .wtv the video_exts variable (see code block)

video_exts = ['3gp', 'asf', 'asx', 'avc', 'avi', 'avs', 'bin', 'bivx', 'bup', 'divx', 'dv', 'dvr-ms', 'evo', 'fli', 'flv', 'ifo', 'img', 
              'iso', 'm2t', 'm2ts', 'm2v', 'm4v', 'mkv', 'mov', 'mp4', 'mpeg', 'mpg', 'mts', 'nrg', 'nsv', 'nuv', 'ogm', 'ogv', 
              'pva', 'qt', 'rm', 'rmvb', 'sdp', 'svq3', 'strm', 'ts', 'ty', 'vdr', 'viv', 'vob', 'vp3', 'wmv', 'wpl', 'wtv', 'xsp', 'xvid']

Do you mean add a 'wtv' elements to the video_exts array?
Mine already had a 'wtv' entry and it doesn't find any of the WTS files.

Perhaps it is because the FileEpisodeScanner isn't finding the WTS files because of Windows Media Center's naming convention (which I don't think you can change)?

#4 Danno100

Danno100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:35 AM

Do you mean add a 'wtv' elements to the video_exts array?
Mine already had a 'wtv' entry and it doesn't find any of the WTS files.

Perhaps it is because the FileEpisodeScanner isn't finding the WTS files because of Windows Media Center's naming convention (which I don't think you can change)?

All I did to get .wtv files to show up is add a section for "Movies" and call it "TV Shows" and they will be added to your library. Don't add TV Shows under TV Shows, it doesn't work for some reason (maybe has something to do with seasons).

#5 digitaltailor

digitaltailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Well I do agree that the file mentioned does already have a wtv entry. And I didn't really like the idea of adding the Recorded TV directory to the Movies group. They all show up but I don't want all of the TV shows mixed up with the movies. Frankly I just don't understand why Recorded TV entries fail to show up under the TV Shows section. I add the directory but they just don't show up after a scan.

#6 Danno100

Danno100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

Well I do agree that the file mentioned does already have a wtv entry. And I didn't really like the idea of adding the Recorded TV directory to the Movies group. They all show up but I don't want all of the TV shows mixed up with the movies. Frankly I just don't understand why Recorded TV entries fail to show up under the TV Shows section. I add the directory but they just don't show up after a scan.

It doesn't have to work the way you describe. You click on a new Group for Movies (do not add to an existing group), change the name of the group to TV Shows, add your directory to monitor from Windows Media Centre, and on the Apple TV client you have a separate group for TV Shows. My system has 800 Movies in a Movies group, and 350 TV shows in a group called TV Shows. For Movies, I create a few different groups such as "Animated, Classics, Music Video". There is no commingling of the titles in any of these groups or with the TV shows.

What you decribe is adding the TV shows to an existing Movie Group, which is not the correct way to do it. When I first used Plex, I didn't realize you could change the group title, but it is easy to do.

#7 jordanf

jordanf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

As someone trying to figure this all out... please help?

I have cut the cable and been trying to figure out a way to duplicate some of the benefits of cable.... selecting TV shows from an on screen guide, dvr, watching non OTA shows.

It looks like media center( with tuner card) does a good job of selectng OTA shows from a program guide and scheduling recordings- any other methods to do this? Are you trying to have the recorded content appear as a channel on PLEX?

I have had limited success with adding channels or plug ins or applications...

#8 Danno100

Danno100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

As someone trying to figure this all out... please help?

I have cut the cable and been trying to figure out a way to duplicate some of the benefits of cable.... selecting TV shows from an on screen guide, dvr, watching non OTA shows.

It looks like media center( with tuner card) does a good job of selectng OTA shows from a program guide and scheduling recordings- any other methods to do this? Are you trying to have the recorded content appear as a channel on PLEX?

I have had limited success with adding channels or plug ins or applications...

All I tell you is my experience (I am not a computer newbie but I am a PLEX newbie).

Background: I am a long time user of Windows and Media Center. My "server" is a Windows 7 PC that also runs PLEX. I started using PLEX a few weeks ago after I jailbroke my Apple TV2. I wanted to see other "server" content on my Apple TV2. PLEX does that and does it well. My Windows 7 "server" has 6 TV tuners, and I use it to record analog cable, but mostly OTA HD TV. Windows 7 does a nice job of handling the recordings without any daily work (I've been use WIndows to record TV shows for at least 5 years). I have other "extenders" of Windows 7 (e.g. XBOX 360), but I prefer using the Apple TV2. With a true extender (XBOX 360) you see exactly the same screen as Windows 7 so recording and watching TV and movies is easy. The Apple TV2 can not act as an extender.

I have not been able to get any plug-ins to work with PLEX, nor any channels (except for iTunes). I doubt the Apple TV2 will be able to tune OTA live TV channels unless someone figures out how to use network TV tuners (e.g. Silicon Dust).

If I were to cut my cable, I'd continue to record OTA HD TV using a Windows 7 PC. It is by far the easiest to set up and configure. For TV's in the house, I'd either use the XBOX 360 (big and ugly), or the Apple TV (small and obscure).

Getting Windows 7 recorded TV shows to show up individually as TV shows in PLEX is easy. They won't be listed as channels or plug-ins, but they are content you can view after Windows has finished recording the TV shows. You can see TV shows in recorded date order on the top shelf of the Apple TV2.

I don't think MythTV would be much different than Windows 7.

Overall, PLEX is still a somewhat buggy server/client application. It hangs and craps out at times. Windows 7 Media Center is solid. My server is one 24/7/365 and has been running constantly for the last year.

#9 digitaltailor

digitaltailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

@Dano100 - I misunderstood your previous post. I didn't even see the option on Plex server to make a subgroup under Movies for TV Shows. All I found was the section that allows you to add directories to scan. How do you do this? Or were you taking about the Plex client?

#10 digitaltailor

digitaltailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Better yet, is there a way to bypass using Plex server altogether? Can I configure the Plex clients to pull data directly from my Media Center server? As basically just a front end?

I agree with your comment about Media Center reliability. I have been using MCE as a DVR solution since 2005. Every year I take a whack at a Linux alternative, and every year I end up going back to Media Center. It just works. And the Guide is really unparalleled by any other DVR solution. The only reason I am even considering something else for a front end is because my client machines are all powered by Atom processors (MSI nettop). With Linux I get more bang for my buck. Windows 7 is a total pig on these machines. I takes a good 10 seconds for Media Center to open, and navigation is way sluggish. Plex would have been a nice alternative, if I could get the damn thing to work. I tried xbmc, but it doesn't really pick up the program information from the server out of the box. You have some mad scripting skills (which I don't) to get all of that to work right.

If Plex can pull data from my Media Center server without needing the Plex server element installed, it would be awesome. I would be a happy man.

#11 Danno100

Danno100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

@Dano100 - I misunderstood your previous post. I didn't even see the option on Plex server to make a subgroup under Movies for TV Shows. All I found was the section that allows you to add directories to scan. How do you do this? Or were you taking about the Plex client?

I am talking about the Plex server. Click on the "Movies" icon to add another group. Change the Name to "TV Shows". Add your Recorded TV folder to monitor. This will create a new group called TV Shows, not a sub-group of Movies.

It will find all wtv files your Windows 7 PC has recorded and continues to record. For some reason, adding the same folder to the "TV Shows" icon will not work.

#12 Danno100

Danno100

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 08:41 PM

Better yet, is there a way to bypass using Plex server altogether? Can I configure the Plex clients to pull data directly from my Media Center server? As basically just a front end?

I agree with your comment about Media Center reliability. I have been using MCE as a DVR solution since 2005. Every year I take a whack at a Linux alternative, and every year I end up going back to Media Center. It just works. And the Guide is really unparalleled by any other DVR solution. The only reason I am even considering something else for a front end is because my client machines are all powered by Atom processors (MSI nettop). With Linux I get more bang for my buck. Windows 7 is a total pig on these machines. I takes a good 10 seconds for Media Center to open, and navigation is way sluggish. Plex would have been a nice alternative, if I could get the damn thing to work. I tried xbmc, but it doesn't really pick up the program information from the server out of the box. You have some mad scripting skills (which I don't) to get all of that to work right.

If Plex can pull data from my Media Center server without needing the Plex server element installed, it would be awesome. I would be a happy man.

No, Plex on the client side appears to be dumb front end. I have XBMC on the Apple TV2, but navigating to content is far worse in my opinion. Both have some work to do to make them mainstream. Having the PLEX server run is not a major problem for me. I still use Windows Media Center and like Media Browser but the Apple TV2 is a compelling device.

#13 wibblywobbly

wibblywobbly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:45 AM

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but comes up in searches, so hopefully will still get seen by a developer (fingers crossed).

I use Windows Media Center in the UK, recording Freeview broadcasts (DVB-T), and have a partial workaround to the issue in this thread, and ideas for how to make it better, but no clue how to go about implementing that.

And just for clarity, this is not about video playback problems - WTV files playback fine on my iOS devices, PC and even Samsung TV without issue - but there is a horrid metadata issue.

The objective is to get WTV files to display correctly in the Plex front end - by correctly, I mean grouped by series, with successful TVDB lookups, pulling in all the data that enables complete Plex loveliness. When I try the solution described above (create a 'Movies' group and then rename it as 'TV') I get all the WTV files individually, not grouped by Program>Series>Show with full description art etc.

The issues as far as I can tell are:

1. Plex Media Scanner isn't able to 'see' the WTV metadata that Windows Media Center puts in the files, so it can't do TVDB lookups by itself. Often, all the data it needs is there, Plex just isn't accessing it.

Instead Plex seems to rely solely on the filename being in the correct format for these lookups, but with over 1000 WTV files, I'm not about to rename them all manually! Also the WMC file naming convention ( {Program Name}_{Channel}_{Record date/time} e.g. What's New Scooby-Doo-_CBBC Channel_2012_05_15_16_03_00) doesn't give enough to go on either for a simple script to work.

2. That UK broadcasters or Microsoft's data provider sometimes don't put complete or correct metadata in the files anyway - crucially, Episode Name and first broadcast data are sometimes missing, or first broadcast is actually set as that broadcast. On the plus side, the longhand Description is usually present, and usually matches the text in the TVDB.

This means that alternative solutions that do access the meta data can still fail with enough shows for the manual approach to be painful. I have tried most of the various approaches out there (WTVMetaRenamer, file rename mode in MC-TV Converter, MCE Buddy) and they all fail to varying degrees, but in subtly different ways.

The most robust I have found, and it's terribly kludgy, is the WTV Organizer plugin for Media Portal! So my current setup is to have MediaPortal running minimised with this plugin watching the WMC RecordedTV folder, and doing TVDB lookups, renaming the files in Plex friendly form and putting them into folders. Plex Media Server than watches this folder too, and then does its own TVDB lookup to find the Episode.

It all mostly works, but because of issue (2) above, it isn't great.

I guess the ideal solution would be for Plex Media Scanner to know about WTV metadata, and for it to have a robust strategy for doing the lookups, sleuthing the correct Episode on the basis of the partial information in the file. I have a feel for what the logical steps would be for this, but no idea how to go about writing the actual Python Scanner Plugin like this chap did for M4V files: http://necomimi.word...ow-alternative/

#14 kneedeepbeachhouse

kneedeepbeachhouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

Hi WibblyWobby,
Thanks for the great information. I got it installed and guess what?... IT WORKS! Just as you described. It is much better. You put together some great leg work pulling this all together.

I do have two follow up questions. Since Windows Media Center is recording multiple shows for me nightly from fall to spring, do you know if:
1. I have to do anything for WTV Organizer to continually update the files? (for example, does Media Portal have to run constantly?)
2. Is there anything I have to do for Plex to continually update the new filenames that WTV Organizer creates?

#15 digitaltailor

digitaltailor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:18 AM

Just an FYI, folks. I found that if you separate the recordings into individual show name folders, within the Recorded TV folder, Plex Media Server picks up the .wtv files just fine. And I didn't have to make a TV Shows group under the Movies section. I just used the TV Shows section and it worked. As for metadata, it still seems to be a little off. Some shows are showing up as older shows or foreign shows with the same name. But overall it's working. Outside of scripting, I don't know how you would get the recordings to automatically go into their appropriate sub-folders. I just manage mine manually for now. Scripts to come. I just have to brush up on my Visual Basic.

#16 dlaciv12

dlaciv12

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:30 PM

I know this is a bit of an old thread, but comes up in searches, so hopefully will still get seen by a developer (fingers crossed).

I use Windows Media Center in the UK, recording Freeview broadcasts (DVB-T), and have a partial workaround to the issue in this thread, and ideas for how to make it better, but no clue how to go about implementing that.

And just for clarity, this is not about video playback problems - WTV files playback fine on my iOS devices, PC and even Samsung TV without issue - but there is a horrid metadata issue.

The objective is to get WTV files to display correctly in the Plex front end - by correctly, I mean grouped by series, with successful TVDB lookups, pulling in all the data that enables complete Plex loveliness. When I try the solution described above (create a 'Movies' group and then rename it as 'TV') I get all the WTV files individually, not grouped by Program>Series>Show with full description art etc.

The issues as far as I can tell are:

1. Plex Media Scanner isn't able to 'see' the WTV metadata that Windows Media Center puts in the files, so it can't do TVDB lookups by itself. Often, all the data it needs is there, Plex just isn't accessing it.

Instead Plex seems to rely solely on the filename being in the correct format for these lookups, but with over 1000 WTV files, I'm not about to rename them all manually! Also the WMC file naming convention ( {Program Name}_{Channel}_{Record date/time} e.g. What's New Scooby-Doo-_CBBC Channel_2012_05_15_16_03_00) doesn't give enough to go on either for a simple script to work.

2. That UK broadcasters or Microsoft's data provider sometimes don't put complete or correct metadata in the files anyway - crucially, Episode Name and first broadcast data are sometimes missing, or first broadcast is actually set as that broadcast. On the plus side, the longhand Description is usually present, and usually matches the text in the TVDB.

This means that alternative solutions that do access the meta data can still fail with enough shows for the manual approach to be painful. I have tried most of the various approaches out there (WTVMetaRenamer, file rename mode in MC-TV Converter, MCE Buddy) and they all fail to varying degrees, but in subtly different ways.

The most robust I have found, and it's terribly kludgy, is the WTV Organizer plugin for Media Portal! So my current setup is to have MediaPortal running minimised with this plugin watching the WMC RecordedTV folder, and doing TVDB lookups, renaming the files in Plex friendly form and putting them into folders. Plex Media Server than watches this folder too, and then does its own TVDB lookup to find the Episode.

It all mostly works, but because of issue (2) above, it isn't great.

I guess the ideal solution would be for Plex Media Scanner to know about WTV metadata, and for it to have a robust strategy for doing the lookups, sleuthing the correct Episode on the basis of the partial information in the file. I have a feel for what the logical steps would be for this, but no idea how to go about writing the actual Python Scanner Plugin like this chap did for M4V files: http://necomimi.word...ow-alternative/

Oh God YES! Thank you soooooooo much. It kinda' sucks having 3 media centers running on my little HTPC but it works and makes Plex wife friendly.

#17 aweber

aweber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

Only because it partially-applies to some of these posts...

Ceton is getting ready to beta-test a new "extender" for WMC (called Echo). I'm on the beta list, but I don't think we expect to receive any hw until October (which is only a week away).

I started my HTPC setup with SageTV, and it was working great...until google gobbled them up and didn't do anything with it (I expected to see it re-incarnated in GoogleTV, but it's not really there). But a centralized PVR is really what I am missing from a good media server like Plex. I want to be able to schedule recordings in one place, have it use any available tuner, and then be able to stream to any connected device. Couple that with being able to watch Live TV, across networked devices and I'd be thrilled. SageTV came close to all that. I'm hoping this Echo will replace my aging STV server (would revert to WMC for tv-tuning), and maybe enable the broadcast/cable TV live/pvr functionality. If Plex can then pick-up the recorded shows, that would work fine. I just don't think Plex is going to even try for the live tv/pvr-scheduling stuff, so multiple apps might still be needed. :(

-AJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users