Photo

Watch Trailers from Video Library (again)

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 SlipnSlider

SlipnSlider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

I have seen some posts asking to bring back Plex 8's Trailer feature that was located in the Movie Information screen. I hear it is in the works but was wondering if anyone had an update on this? Perhaps a release date or a plug in that does something similar? I already have Trailer Addict and Apple Movie Trailer plug ins, but I don't like having to back out of all those menus, open a plug in, then enter the movie title in again.

Thanks!

#2 phunkysai

phunkysai

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

Agreed. I know the devs are tired of me asking for this, but I keep saving movie trailer files (movie-trailer.mp4) inside each movie's individual folder, hoping the devs will one day at LEAST re-enable that trailers button in the movie info screen.

My wife and I used to use this all the time to decide which movie we were going to watch for the evening...

#3 adamjwille@gmail.com

adamjwille@gmail.com

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

i would also like to see this feature again, soon. any idea when we can expect an update?

#4 unisonruss

unisonruss

Plex-Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1865 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

It has to be in the next release, right? This has been requested now, largely, since the initial release of Plex/Nine. élan even commented that they are aware, and working on a great solution. I just hope it is in the next release...honestly it's a really important feature when deciding to watch a film. I personally would just want online streaming trailers, though. I don't like storing local trailers.

#5 SlipnSlider

SlipnSlider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

I sure hope so. I appreciate all the hard work that the Plex team has put in to their amazing software, but it can't be THAT hard to trailer feature in the next release, especially considering it was once already in there.

#6 D4RK STR1D3R

D4RK STR1D3R

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

Just wanted to bump this a little bit. I too miss trailers. I recently tried XBMC and while their interface is terrible they do seem to know how to do the trailers feature. You can use local files or if no local files are present it just uses youtube and finds a trailer for it.
 Mac mini 2.26GHz C2 Duo Sabnzbd/SickBeard/CouchPotato/FileServer  Mac mini unibody 2.4GHz C2 Duo PMS/Plex Client  Sony Bravia KDL-46S5100  Drobo(s) usable capacity: 21TB 

#7 Woody1130

Woody1130

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

Gotta add that this would be awesome, didn't use plex when it had this or maybe I did but didn't notice it. Me and my wife use imdb on our phones to watch trailers whilst deciding so this would be epic!
Plex Server - i7 920, 12GB RAM, 3X2TB, 2X1TB, 1X500GB, Windows 7 X64 Ultimate.
Network - 100Mbit wired, 300Mbit Wireless (oh so theoretical!!!)
Plex Clients - MacBook Pro, AppleTV

#8 GiJOr33

GiJOr33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:28 AM

I agree, XBMC has great integration of trailers.

As mentioned in this thread http://forums.plexap...s/page__st__120

As a general media center, I like Plex better.

#9 sammyboy

sammyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

I second that, Trailers and password protected mature movies or Tv shows would complete the plexapp for me. I think both XBMC and Plex are awesome i'd like to stick with plex especially now that they have enabled dlna to all my home devices but in doing this i now need password protection to protect my kids from seeing anything they shouldn't.

I'm a movie and TV show Lover and Plex has made that experience all the better even if i've had to spend a fortune on raid/drobo storage.
Thanks Elan and the team for making this beautiful experience for us :)

#10 Artemidis

Artemidis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

I would love to use my locally saved trailers in plex!

#11 bugger

bugger

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

A streaming trailer option for library movies would be awesome. Is anyone working on this?

#12 ScottRTL

ScottRTL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:34 AM

A streaming trailer option for library movies would be awesome. Is anyone working on this?

Bump/Please add me to the list for some kind of trailer solution...

#13 darbid

darbid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

Once again the trailers that you took away in plex 9 is also something keeping me from changing over totally from media server. But let's hope you did not take it away so that you could bring it back only for people who pay for it. Eg plexpass.

#14 Biblu

Biblu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

+1 for this, its very useful to show everyone in the room the trailer to choose a film.

#15 Fynx

Fynx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

+1 on integrated trailer.
This function is keeping on using XBMC, just because of the trailer integration.
If PLEX gets this function than it will be bey bey XBMC :)

#16 crankycowboy

crankycowboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

+1!! It seems by this thread alone, that this is a feature that everyone would appreciate being brought back. I'm no coder by any stretch, but I wouldn't imagine that this wouldn't be difficult to re-implement. Elan, if you are listening.....PLEASE!! I keep downloading the trailers and placing them in my movie folders hoping this feature will be brought back soon.

#17 Sarcas

Sarcas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

And a +1 from me as well!

#18 MrAcid

MrAcid

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

*Bump*

Would really like this too!

#19 jonaskp

jonaskp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

And one more follower for this great suggestion.

For me, the simple solution of adding a button somewhere that would just play "moviename-trailer.ext" in the subfolder the movie is in, would be enough. No need to do a big integration of 10 different streaming sites. As a beginning, playing trailers for those people that download them locally would in my opinion be ideal.

MediaPortal has a movie plugin called "Moving Pictures" that had a feature request like this for about 2 years. The devs kept saying that they didn't want to implement a half-solution (e.g. playing of local trailers) until they got around to creating all of the trailer functionality they had planned.
Eventually they integrated an online trailers streaming plugin and never supported local trailers.

As others have said, from my point of view it wouldn't be very hard to code support for local trailers. Don't push this in the background because streaming of trailers is too much work. Do the quick fix now and then implement the "optimal" solution later.

#20 mh2452

mh2452

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

+1 on the trailer functionality
streaming solution would be ideal !!!

thx a lot for this wonderful PLEX !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users