#1 se.bastian

se.bastian

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

Welcome back!

This is a new thread for the Laïka-flavored Retroplex.

I won't go into boring details about how or why all this wait, but instead wish to thank you all for your patience and nothing but positive posts during the waiting. It really made it all feel more fun and important to get the updated version done. So: Thank You! :)

Also; Happy Birthday to Retroplex! One year already, exactly today! :)

Now, as this will be the new "official" post for Retroplex, i'll do a new and complete presentation of it here-under. The rest will follow as it always has; please discuss about it here, be it about your love or hate for it, making suggestions or wishing features.

Short intro: the intended update to *just* integrate the latest amazing Laïka features and make it work correctly turned into something much more as time went by, and thus this is today a major update and evolution for Retroplex. All the better, right!? It is more sober, more focused, and yet a little more playful. A little more grown up i guess. Some colors have changed, the sepia overload has been toned down, the filtering grains are sharper, animations have been reworked for a smoother and more discreet effect, code has been optimized, views have been tweaked, and much, much more.

Those that know and love the Retroplex slideshow will be thrilled to know that over 500 new photos have been added into it, bringing the total amount of slides to about 850! That's a lifetime's supply of amazing photos of all the beautiful starlets of the history of cinema. Retroplex loves all classic cinema, and so now the photos span from the silent movie era -with beauties like Louise Brooks or Clara Bow- to the late 60's Bardot era. All photos, as usual, have been hand picked and lovingly cropped for the best possible presentation and your enjoyment.

As i've grown to consider this slideshow so integral and a distinctive feature of Retroplex that it's an attraction on its own right, it is now on by default when the skin is installed for the first time. If you wish to turn it off (but why would you!?), the options for the home screen slideshows have now been deported into the Settings with other home options.

Other new stuff includes following the official/mother ship direction and ditching the weather (gasp!) and favorites (gulp!). Also, some simplification in options has been attempted, a new "Go To Home" button is in all left side menus, all old "Now Playing" visualizers have been ditched in favor of a unique and wonderful new Pin Up slideshow with a classic record player animation. And again, much much more to discover…

As a counterpoint, a lot of other stuff is still to be perfected (as it always is), but that's the fun part of it! Right??

Thanks go to scotty for the everlastingly awesome startup sound, gedoode for the media flags, and radar for beta-testing and sanity checks. Thanks guys :)

So let's get to the proper presentation with pretty pictures!

The Home screen:

Posted Image

"On Deck" and "Recently Added":

Posted Image

The familiar left side menu, accessible in every screen:

Posted Image

List view:

Posted Image

Slide view:

Posted Image

Posters big view:

Posted Image

Posters small view:

Posted Image

TV Show Banner view:

Posted Image

TV Show Multi Banner view:

Posted Image

Second part in the post below.

#2 se.bastian

se.bastian

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

TV Episodes Big List view:

Posted Image

Full Info screen:

Posted Image

Photos view:

Posted Image

The wonderful new "Now Playing" screen:

Posted Image

"Now Playing" home screen version with Retroplex slideshow:

Posted Image

Video OSD/controller:

Posted Image

Video OSD/controller menus:

Posted Image

And of course Natalie is still there to help you whenever you need her:

Posted Image

So there!

Retroplex is available via the most excellent Preen, so please use it to install and update the skin.

The post below this one will be the one to follow, as all the updates will be noted there. New updates will get posted in the thread, but as its size will grow if you just wish to check the latest changes, the post below is the quick and easy way to do just that.

As always, please leave comments, love notes, hate mail, bug reports, fabulous cocktail recipes and whatever else in this thread, or open a new one in this Retroplex section if you feel it necessary. But remember; be correct :)

Thanks everybody!

Sebastian.

#3 se.bastian

se.bastian

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

UPDATES & NOTES

07 October 2012:

- Show only "In Progress" icon for the home lists

12 September 2012:

- Fixed the "Shutdown" and "Sleep" actions in the left side menu
- Added an option to hide the pinups in the left side menu (sad, but hey, i can understand that it might be necessary)
- Added an option to hide the "On Deck" and "Recently Added" list on home
- The "Skin Settings" menu has been reorganized a little
- Added "unwatched/in progress" indicators for "On Deck" and "Recently Added"
- Activated the on-screen notifications
- Animated the retroplex logo in "Now Playing" screen (it cycles with the turntable) to eliminate any eventual burn-in

19 March 2012:

- Fixed missing "unwatched" indicator for TV Shows in the "Small Thumbnails" view

18 March 2012:

- Integrated a dynamic (only shows when the player is active) "Now Playing Visualizer" left menu item for accessing it without keyboard from all screens
- Fixed the letter "W" being truncated in the "Search" window left side visual keyboard
- Download/Update now available through Preen (thanks Vicarious!)

13 March 2012:

- Temporary fix for the "disappearing home menu title when scrolling through it for the second time": the fix involves not having the transition animation for the selected title, but sometimes it might be better to see it every time rather than see it with a fancy animation every second time. More investigation follows...
- Fixed the "Recently Added" list having a repeating title.

#4 seahorsejl

seahorsejl

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

I can't wait to install it! Just need my main plex box to not be in use :)

#5 nifoc

nifoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

Thank you very much making Retroplex even more awesome :)
Posted Image

#6 Mr Hyde

Mr Hyde

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Wow wow thanks very very much! My wife and I love this skin!

#7 se.bastian

se.bastian

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

Thanks guys, i hope you (and your better halves) enjoy it :)

#8 jamerson9

jamerson9

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Thanks very much for the updated skins, looks fabulous!

#9 CRiMe

CRiMe

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Happy birthday, Retroplex! And thank you so much for the update, se.bastian.

#10 marklight

marklight

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Bravo!

#11 jason.normandin

jason.normandin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Beautiful work!!

#12 plk

plk

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:47 PM

Gorgeous! So great to have it back!

#13 Stefan2010

Stefan2010

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:17 PM

This skin is amazing. Glad it's back for Laika!! Looks even better than before.
I LOVE the banner view for TV shows and the new OSD!

Thanks Sebastian for the hard work you (obviously) put in here!

One little thing though:
When scrolling down the main menu every things fine for "the first round" and looks like this:
Posted Image

But when you scroll down further and the items appear for the second time, the movie entry appears like this:

Posted Image

This happens for all items. When scrolling even further down, so that e.g. Movies appears for the third time, everything works as it should!

#14 Smithcraft

Smithcraft

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:27 AM

Cool! Retroplex and I have the same birthday. :)

SC
2.33 GHz Core i5 2011 mini with 8 GB
OS X 10.7.5
Loving Plex since 0.7.8

#15 shadowman10

shadowman10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:23 AM

Best skin ever, thanks.

#16 se.bastian

se.bastian

Plex Employee

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

Thanks everybody for your kind words :)

But when you scroll down further and the items appear for the second time, the movie entry appears like this:

Posted Image

This happens for all items. When scrolling even further down, so that e.g. Movies appears for the third time, everything works as it should!

That's a strange issue. I'm unable to reproduce, but will investigate. Thanks for reporting!

#17 losangeles

losangeles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

Amazing job! Thank you!

This problem happens to me as well. Not so important though. I'm sure you'll figure it out.

PMS: MacMini 2012 | Clients: MacMini 2009 - ATV3 - iOS family | TV: Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX6090H | AV: Pioneer VSX-LX70 | 5.1: KEF KHT3005SE | NAS: Synology DS-1010+ & DS-508 | Remote: Logitech Harmony 1100 & One

#18 Lundmark

Lundmark

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

YAY, YOU MADE ME NOT HATE MONDAYS ANYMORE!

#19 plk

plk

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

The same thing happens for me, too. It doesn't happen every time I go up or down in the main menu, so I'm not sure what's causing it. Seems to occur more when going down the menu than going up.

#20 parrots

parrots

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

I've also noticed the text disappearing issue. For me the pattern is every even pass through the list of home screen options (first works fine, second pass broken, third ok, fourth not, etc) there is no blue text.

Is the, for lack of a better word, "ghosting" effect on purpose? When I loop through the home screen options the white text that animates up and down has a trail behind it, akin to older LCDs. Figured you might be going for an effect there, but if not it's another bug.

Thanks for the release, I'll be throwing this on my HTPC tonight!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users