• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Baloeb

Baloeb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:54 AM

Let me start off by saying I think the new plex channel is great and I use it everyday. I have a roku 2 xs. When using direct play I have not been able to watch an entire movie without the roku freezing and restarting on its own. If I set it to transcode only it works fine (but with some stuttering and artifacts), and if I play the movie off a usb drive using the roku usb channel it works fine. Whenever I try to direct play from plex, though, it never works. Most of my movies are mkv, h.264, ac3. It has done this with mkv, h.264, aac also. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a problem with how plex sends the media to the roku, or is this a problem with my roku itself? I would appreciate any ideas or feedback people have. I think this program is great and I would like a way to avoid the artifacts that pop up with transcoding (and reduce my cpu load.) Thanks!

#2 hozedhead

hozedhead

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

Find a handbrake setting that works for all of your videos and then use Handbrake Batch Encoder to do the job. You will have to use a custom query to accommodate large files, since it's disabled by default.

PMS 0.9.6.9 Windows XP SP3
Roku N1000 Software v3.1 Build 1167

#3 Baloeb

Baloeb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:05 AM

I have already encoded all my videos with handbrake. They work on the roku usb channel. The audio and video work when direct playing up until it freezes and restarts. I have already done a factory reset, too, but it didn't help. The videos are compatable, I just can't figure out why the roku freezes every time.

#4 schuyler

schuyler

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3316 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:57 PM

By "freezes and restarts" do you mean the whole Roku restarts as though you unplugged it, or that the video pauses, buffers, and restarts?

Buffering would sound like a quality level problem. The Roku sometimes has a hard time keeping up.

Restarting the whole device sounds like a nasty Roku bug, but not one that I'm familiar with. If that's the case, if you can find a sample that reproduces the problem that you don't mind sharing then I can try to reproduce it on my end.

#5 Baloeb

Baloeb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Yes, the whole roku restarts as though I unplugged it. On some movies it will do this within the first minute of the movie starting, sometimes it will take 20 min. I've tested the exact same files on the usb channel and they work fine. I'll see if I can find a good example in a file small enough to upload to dropbox.

#6 Alan Morgan

Alan Morgan

Rock Star

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

Yeah, I've had some problems with one of the MKVs I have. H264 level 3.1 with AC3 audio. If I have 5.1 turned on in Plex or the Roku, it restarts my Roku2 when I do a direct play. Remuxing (direct streaming) is fine. If I disable 5.1 in Plex and the Roku, it can't Direct Play the MKV (tosses me up an error). And since it's MKV, it doesn't work at all on the R1.

I can send it to you if you want, Schuyler.
Former member of the Plex for Roku development team

Units Owned: Roku 1 XD, Roku 2 XS

Posted Image

#7 Baloeb

Baloeb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

That's the exact problem I have. I have it set to transcode everything right now so that things will work fine. I have the roku set to stereo so the 5.1 options in plex aren't available to me, but AC3 5.1 audio will still direct play, and my tv can play the audio. Until it quits working. The problem is that all my videos are in that format, not just a couple.

#8 Baloeb

Baloeb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

I tried this after the update to 4.3 and it did not fix the problem. Still restarting.

#9 cptsmidge

cptsmidge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

I'm having the same problem. Is it the media server, or the Roku? I'm trying to find a copy of the 9.5.2 install to test. I will report back when I know.

EDIT: I found a copy, I'm going to install it and test it.

#10 Spinme

Spinme

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:00 PM

Same problem here with MKV files and direct stream. Screen will either go black and then I have to power cycle the roku or lock up at the end of the show and I have to power cycle the roku.

#11 adamk

adamk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:47 AM

Just want to also offer my experience with this.

Up until yesterday, I was running an older version of the Plex beta. It was working pretty well. Played everything I threw at it.

Yesterday I installed the new official Plex on my Roku 2 XS. No whenever I try and play anything, it says 'Retrieving' I hear an audio click, then after a while the Roku box just reboots. Pretty much all of my files are .mkv files.

Last night I was trying to watch a 720p, h264, ac3 5.1 file and it would start loading and then crash the Roku. I tried a few other files but had the same experience with all of them.

I tried playing with forcing transcoding / direct play etc and different bandwidths but nothing seemed to make a difference.

I just read the FAQ and will try and get some logs from the PMS running on a Mac Mini but that was my initial experience.
- Synology DS1511+
- Mac Mini 2009 running Plex Media Server
- Sony PS3
- Sony Bravia KDL46XBR
- iPhone 3GS
- TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Switch
- A never ending quest to link them all together so they can all do everything

#12 dewzuki

dewzuki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

I just installed the "official" Plex Channel for Roku after running the Beta for quite some time. Beta - no problems whatsoever. Now, with new channel when video is retrieving I get a loud audio pop and my TV displays a message as if I just changed a channel. Worse, the video starts with NO sound whatsoever. This is a Roku2 XS running an HDMI cable to the TV. The Roku "audio" setting is set to 5.1 surround. I tried setting it back to stereo and now it works with no problem. Set the audio back to 5.1 and I get the loud pop and no sound from the video. Please advise. THANKS

#13 adamk

adamk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Had a bit more time to spend on it last night. After restarting the Plex Media Server on the Mini, the new Plex channel on the Roku is working fine.
- Synology DS1511+
- Mac Mini 2009 running Plex Media Server
- Sony PS3
- Sony Bravia KDL46XBR
- iPhone 3GS
- TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Switch
- A never ending quest to link them all together so they can all do everything

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users