• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

Posted Image

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
IMDB Link

Synopsis:
Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, born with a superior olfactory sense, creates the world's finest perfume. His work, however, takes a dark turn as he searches for the ultimate scent.

I first picked up this movie on a whim from my local Blockbuster (back when there were Blockbusters). I found this movie completely enthralling. Some quick positives, to perhaps persuade you to check this out:

• Dustin Hoffman and Alan Rickman: Actors don't always make the movie, but it certainly enhances this independent film considerably.
  • The Film Score: I have purchased and listened to the score for this film countless times since seeing it. It's every bit as atmospheric as the film itself.
  • Direction: The "feel" of this film is largely what makes it so great. The atmosphere is created with great care from the very first shot.
  • Plot: The storyline in this movie is not largely full of twists, per se, but instead rewards the viewer with exactly what they'd love to see happen, and then some...

Anyway, check it out and let me know what you think! Highly Recommended!
Nathanael B
1,000 movies and counting
50 TV Shows and counting
5TB and counting
No Music, No Photos, No Games
-------
Plex Media Server running on:
Windows 7 Pro x64
External 5400RPM Hard Drives running over USB 3.0
Western Digital FTW!
Mirrored manually via Robocopy
-------
Plex Media Center running on:
Mac Mini OS 10.6
iPhone iOS 5
iPad iOS 4
Roku
Macbook Pro OS 10.7
Macbook OS 10.5
PlexAeon FTW!

#2 pooploser

pooploser

Plex Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:03 AM

Hey! I've seen Perfume a while ago, in cinema actually, and I did enjoy it quite a bit. I was surprised to see 'famous' actors in minor roles and I think it works well in this film, it adds a fresh spark to the whole flick.
I also remember the camera work fondly. The pale, sandy colours reminded me quite a bit of mid-eastern cinema. Shame that I actually can't remember the music in it though.
Have you read the book by Patrick Süskind that the movie's based on?
I haven't read it myself, but I heard from friends who have that it has much more humour, and that the scene in the cave is actually one of the key moments in the book, much longer and spanning several dozen pages.
I feel the movie had a really great basis, the ending was beautifully shot, and it could've been one of "those" great adaptations if it had been another 20 minutes longer, aiming towards a more detailed description of Grenouille, and possibilly sacrificing a bit of the entertainment value for the sake of it. :)
Alaska skin for Plex 0.9.5+ Laika
Alaska/Dark skin for Plex 0.9.5+ Laika
My flickr account

#3 boots2x

boots2x

IP Challenged Ninja

• Plex Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

This film is definitely a case of "Read the Book". The film version of it is GREAT... the book is so evocative, luscious, textured... the English translation of Patrick Süskind's book is so marvellous it makes me wish I could read the German original.

James

These resources are your friends! The Plex Help Center | The Plex Forums | Forum Search is DEFINITELY your friend!

Check the Plex Media Preparation Guide! | Learn how to collect Log filesGet MediaInfo to analyse video files

Plex Media Server: Mac OS X and ReadyNAS Pro 6 | Plex Clients: Mac Mini 2010 2.66Ghz, 2Gb RAM, AppleTV Gen 2, iPhone 3GS | LG 56" DLP-TV | Sherwood AV Amp | Storage: ReadyNAS Pro 6 with 6 x 2Gb Hitachi HDD for 8Tb storage | Network: Cat 6 cabled, 1000BaseT

#4 shortguy91

shortguy91

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

I remember when i saw this movie quite a while back, i was amazed on how good it was. It was one of those movies that you had no clue what you were about to watch and by the end you were extremely happy with it. thats one of the movies i always recommend to people.

#5 aeonx

aeonx

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

Watched it in the cinema, having read the novel before. I was surprised how well they featured the smelling sensations, not a quality easily relayed to the viewer (without smell-o-vision at least). I dug the cast, the sets, but not the direction of the narrative.

#6 chris811

chris811

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

Great movie, I really enjoyed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users