• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 milew666

milew666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

I am very irritated, i downloaded plex downloaded the server added my library, and when i open plex on my transformer, it says nothing in que. Why is this so difficult to use?

#2 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

I am very irritated, i downloaded plex downloaded the server added my library, and when i open plex on my transformer, it says nothing in que. Why is this so difficult to use?

Have you looked through some of the sticky threads at the top of the forum?

Here is a basic getting started guide -> http://forums.plexap...ex-for-android/
More information, with a lot of links to other informtion in this one -> http://forums.plexap...roid-read-this/
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

#3 paviktherin

paviktherin

Dedicated Member

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

The queue is for the videos online such as youtube and vimeo. You can find the plugin and/or bookmark on the plex app website.

To use the app and the server you need to add the folders that contain your content such as movies, music, photos etc. Then you will see those appear in the app on the tablet.

Check out the wiki and look up stuff about the myPlex as well.

Keep posting here, I'll be happy to help you get it up and running
PMS unRAID | Media Storage on UnRaid | Android, Mac, iOS and GoogleTV on Logitech Revue
Capture Logcat for Android | Android FAQ | GoogleTV FAQ | MediaInfo

#4 milew666

milew666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

I added them to myplex media server, all i want to do is be able to watch my movies from my tablet! Im getting different answers, no offense but why woukd i pay for an app too watch youtube videos?

#5 paviktherin

paviktherin

Dedicated Member

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

I added them to myplex media server, all i want to do is be able to watch my movies from my tablet! Im getting different answers, no offense but why woukd i pay for an app too watch youtube videos?

Don't worry, it's frustrating when you things don't work as you expected. So let's retrace the steps and make sure that you've done everything that you need to. The my queue is a feature that was added so that if someone sends you a youtube video while you aren't at a computer for example and you want to watch it later, you can queue it up and then Plex will remind you that you have them queued up and will mark them as watched just like it does with your other media.

The stuff that you have stored on your server is what you really want. Double check the following steps:

• You downloaded the server app from plexapp.com
  • You installed this server on a computer
  • You opened the plex media manager in your browser (usually http://localhost:324...nage/index.html)
  • You clicked on preferences in the top right
  • You clicked on the "myPlex" tab
  • You logged into your account (the same one you use here on the forum)
  • You then Added your content (Movies, TV, Music, etc)
  • You then went to the google play store and purchased the Plex for Android app
  • You opened the Android app
  • You went to the settings of the app (menu > setttings)
  • You tapped on "Account Settings"
  • You Logged into the same myplex account that you did on the server
  • After saving, you go back to the settings screen.
  • Wait for the server to appear on the screen. (this will be the name given to your server, it can be found in the preferences of the Plex Media Manager in the browser)
  • Tap on the server so you see the green or blue dot appear
  • Click on Browse
  • You should now see the same content you added in step 7. with the names that you gave each section.
If you have not done all these steps, please do so and then let me know what happens. Since I can't see what you see, please describe it as best you can so that I can help you.

Good luck :)

PMS unRAID | Media Storage on UnRaid | Android, Mac, iOS and GoogleTV on Logitech Revue

#6 milew666

milew666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

Christ.... 17 steps to watch a movie on my tablet, the only reason i went with this is because the status bar should be able to disappear soon when the fix comes through. So, do i need to be logged into the server on my computer in order to watch on my tablet? I hope not, because if going on vacation, leaving my computer on for 2 weeks is out of the question. I hope this is not the case

#7 paviktherin

paviktherin

Dedicated Member

• Castle Keeper
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Christ.... 17 steps to watch a movie on my tablet, the only reason i went with this is because the status bar should be able to disappear soon when the fix comes through. So, do i need to be logged into the server on my computer in order to watch on my tablet? I hope not, because if going on vacation, leaving my computer on for 2 weeks is out of the question. I hope this is not the case

This is the case. The computer acts as a server and so without it on serving up the content and transcoding the videos when necessary you can't watch any videos. The Plex for Android client isn't just any media player that plays media locally off of your phone. The beauty of it is that you are able to have the content at your house on 1 server and you can watch that content on any of the clients that you have connected to it. This is perfect for your scenario of going on vacation. You don't have to spend the time or use the space required to transfer all your music, movies, tv shows, photos, etc onto your tablet. You can simply watch them through Plex and your server will serve up the content to your device allowing you to stream it over the internet.

The 17 steps were meant to help you out by simplifying it so that you could easily see what you may not have done. The reason you need to be logged into your myPlex account on your server as well as on each device is so that you can access that content remotely. Like while on vacation... :) The Plex Media Server will talk with your router and open a port and save that information so that when a client, such as your tablet, also logs in, the tablet knows the ip address and the port to use in order to connect to the server remotely. This is much easier than it used to be. You used to have to forward the ports manually on your router, assign your server a static ip address on the LAN, get a domain name such as one from DynDNS and then install an updater if you have a dynamic IP address, etc etc. In short, don't let the 17 steps put you off. It's a one time thing and then from then on it's as easy as open the app, pick the section, pick the movie and enjoy! :)

#8 milew666

milew666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:34 PM

This is the case. The computer acts as a server and so without it on serving up the content and transcoding the videos when necessary you can't watch any videos. The Plex for Android client isn't just any media player that plays media locally off of your phone. The beauty of it is that you are able to have the content at your house on 1 server and you can watch that content on any of the clients that you have connected to it. This is perfect for your scenario of going on vacation. You don't have to spend the time or use the space required to transfer all your music, movies, tv shows, photos, etc onto your tablet. You can simply watch them through Plex and your server will serve up the content to your device allowing you to stream it over the internet.

The 17 steps were meant to help you out by simplifying it so that you could easily see what you may not have done. The reason you need to be logged into your myPlex account on your server as well as on each device is so that you can access that content remotely. Like while on vacation... :) The Plex Media Server will talk with your router and open a port and save that information so that when a client, such as your tablet, also logs in, the tablet knows the ip address and the port to use in order to connect to the server remotely. This is much easier than it used to be. You used to have to forward the ports manually on your router, assign your server a static ip address on the LAN, get a domain name such as one from DynDNS and then install an updater if you have a dynamic IP address, etc etc. In short, don't let the 17 steps put you off. It's a one time thing and then from then on it's as easy as open the app, pick the section, pick the movie and enjoy! :)

Thanks, I will look into it. The main reason I got this app is because I heard they are woriking on allowing it to dim the status bar completely (accept for the dots) on transformer prime tablets. I love the Tab, but the face that I cannot view movies and utilize the entire 10.1 is mind boggling. My galaxy nexus is also running ICS, and when a vid plays, it dosappears and all I have to do is touch the staus bar area in order to make it reappear. Weird.

#9 evotech

evotech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:10 PM

Well known OSI layer 8 error, nothing to do about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users