#1 fkick

fkick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

Hi all,

UPDATE 3.31:

After some more research it looks like the Directv DVR's will not be able to playback any video with the Plex DLNA server in its current form. The DVRS can only playback video in MPEG2 in the container "mpeg" (not "mpegts") and according to the "So you want your DLNA device to work with PMS" article, PMS currently only supports transcoding to asf, mpegts and avi. The Directv boxes will show "x" next to any videos that have those containers. Unless there's a way to add the mpeg container to the transcoder (or the developers add it in the future), unfortunately this is the end of the line for Plex on Directv.

Thanks!

Plex Profile Code (Updated after the how to came out):

<Client name="DirecTV HD-DVR">
   <!--based on serviio Directv profile --> 
   <Identification>
     <Header name="User-Agent" substring="DIRECTV" />
   </Identification> 
   <TranscodeTargets>
      <VideoProfile container="mpeg" codec="mpeg2video" audioCodec="mp2"/>
      <PhotoProfile codec="jpeg" />
   </TranscodeTargets>
   <Settings>
      <Setting name="OnlyPlainVideoItems" value="true" />
      <Setting name="OnlyStorageFolders" value="true" />
      <Setting name="TimelineBufferOffset" value="10" />
   </Settings>
   <DirectPlayProfiles>
      <VideoProfile container="mpeg" codec="mpeg2video" audioCodec="mp2" />
      <PhotoProfile codec="jpeg,jpg" />
   </DirectPlayProfiles>
   <CodecProfiles>
      <VideoCodec name="mpeg2video">
        <Setting name="MaxResolution" value="1920x1080" />
        <Setting name="MaxFps" value="30" />
        <Setting name="MaxBitRate" value="8192" />
      </VideoCodec>
      <VideoAudioCodec name="mp2">
         <Setting name="MaxAudioChannels" value="2" />
      </VideoAudioCodec>
    </CodecProfiles> 
</Client>

Serviio Code:

<Profile id="6" name="DirecTV HD-DVR" extendsProfileId="1">
		<Detection>
			<HttpHeaders>
				<User-Agent>.*DIRECTV.*</User-Agent>
			</HttpHeaders>
			<UPnPSearch>
                <FriendlyName>^DIRECTV.*$</FriendlyName>
            </UPnPSearch>
		</Detection>
		<Transcoding>
			<Video targetContainer="mpeg" targetVCodec="mpeg2video" targetACodec="mp2" maxVBitrate="8192" forceStereo="true">
				<Matches container="matroska" />
				<Matches container="mp4" />
				<Matches container="asf" />
				<Matches container="avi" />
				<Matches container="ogg" />
				<Matches container="flv" />
				<Matches container="3gp" />  				
			</Video>
		</Transcoding>			
	</Profile>

#2 sbradley

sbradley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

Do you have any idea where the dlnaclientprofiles.xml is suppose to go?

I dropped it under Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/dlnaclientprofiles.xml

Going to test it, but not sure if that is location for it.

UPDATE:
It did not load the profiles:

Mar 29, 2012 09:31:05 [0xac79f2c0] DEBUG - Loading com.plexapp.dlna is complete (success=1)
Mar 29, 2012 09:31:06 [0xac79f2c0] DEBUG - [PERF] Slowest TransactionScope in 0.038000 ms.
Mar 29, 2012 09:31:06 [0xac79f2c0] DEBUG - Reading system DLNA profiles
Mar 29, 2012 09:31:06 [0xac79f2c0] DEBUG - Unable to find client DLNA profiles

The good news is that directv hr21-700 sees the dlna server plex is exporting. We just the correct profile cause all videos has X cause they unsupported video type.

#3 fkick

fkick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

I dropped it under Library/Application\ Support/Plex\ Media\ Server/dlnaclientprofiles.xml

UPDATE:

Are you using the user/Library folder or Macintosh HD/Library folder?

#4 hippojay

hippojay

Rock Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

UPDATE:

That's the right profile location:

/Users/[name]/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/dlnaclientprofiles.xml
Turn XBMC into a Plex Client:
PleXBMC - Play Plex media through XBMC
PleXBMC Helper - Integrate Official/Unoffical Plex remote control apps into PleXBMC
PleXBMC Repository - Install all addons from one place
PleXBMC on the Raspberry Pi

Modded Skins:
QuartzV3/4 for PleXBMC - Integrate PleXBMC into home menus

#5 Carlos-Spicy-Weiner

Carlos-Spicy-Weiner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:16 PM

I'm pretty sure Plex is loading my custom xml list. However on the HR-24's I'm still seeing an X beside all the video titles (the source of the files are m4v and mkv). Audio plays fine.

#6 sbradley

sbradley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

I got correct in location then.

#7 fkick

fkick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

Sorry all,

There was a typo in the code above that was causing the plex dlna client to not read the Directv profile correctly. I've corrected the code above, please give it another go and let me know!

Fkick

#8 sbradley

sbradley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:37 AM

Sorry all,

There was a typo in the code above that was causing the plex dlna client to not read the Directv profile correctly. I've corrected the code above, please give it another go and let me know!

Fkick

Yeah, you need to wrap the <CLIENT> tags with <CLIENTS> <CLIENT> ...</CLIENT></CLIENTS>

I was able to load it after that. However, it still does not work . I still get the X for each video file and does not play them since it does not like the type.

#9 fkick

fkick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

It turns out that the HR series of Directv dvr's has a User Agent string also of "Linux/2.6.18.5" according to my plex logs.

I've updated the code (top of thread) and now have the clips showing up in the direct HR-24, however, when it goes to play, the screen goes black and then cuts back to the menu. For some reason the transcode session isn't starting properly, even though it matches the serviio code (which does work properly). I'll take a deeper look this weekend.

#10 fkick

fkick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

I've updated the profile to reflect information that is in the new how to document. I'll give it a try when I get home tonight, but if anyone has time to test beforehand, please let me know.

Code is at the top of the post.

Thanks!

#11 Carlos-Spicy-Weiner

Carlos-Spicy-Weiner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

It turns out that the HR series of Directv dvr's has a User Agent string also of "Linux/2.6.18.5" according to my plex logs.

I've updated the code (top of thread) and now have the clips showing up in the direct HR-24, however, when it goes to play, the screen goes black and then cuts back to the menu. For some reason the transcode session isn't starting properly, even though it matches the serviio code (which does work properly). I'll take a deeper look this weekend.

No luck here. It is still showing my m4v library as X'ed out.

Here's what the log shows:

Mar 30, 2012 18:27:26 [0xb0289000] DEBUG - Mapped client to generic profile: SOAPACTION: "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1#Browse"; Host: 192.168.0.1:32469; Content-Length: 493; Content-Type: text/xml; charset="utf-8"; User-Agent: Linux/2.6.18-7.2, UPnP/1.0 DIRECTV JHUPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.00 DIRECTV VIIV devices INTEL_NMPR/2.1; getContentFeatures.dlna.org: 1

#12 fkick

fkick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

No luck here. It is still showing my m4v library as X'ed out.

Here's what the log shows:

Mar 30, 2012 18:27:26 [0xb0289000] DEBUG - Mapped client to generic profile: SOAPACTION: "urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ContentDirectory:1#Browse"; Host: 192.168.0.1:32469; Content-Length: 493; Content-Type: text/xml; charset="utf-8"; User-Agent: Linux/2.6.18-7.2, UPnP/1.0 DIRECTV JHUPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.00 DIRECTV VIIV devices INTEL_NMPR/2.1; getContentFeatures.dlna.org: 1

Swam,

What dvr model do you have? Are you running the new HD interface/software on it? I'm running an HR24 with the new HD interface/guide. Your's looks like you're user agent string might be for a different software... your's is listing as Linus/2.6.18-7.2 where the newer software should show up as Linux/2.6.18.5.

To correct this issue on your end...in my code just change

<Identification>
     <Header name="User-Agent" substring="*DIRECTV.*" />
     <Header name="User-Agent" substring="Linux/2.6.18.5" />
   </Identification>

To this:

<Identification>
     <Header name="User-Agent" substring="*DIRECTV.*" />
     <Header name="User-Agent" substring="Linux/2.6.18-7.2" />
   </Identification>

#13 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:37 PM

fkick:

Thanks for your work on this.

Around the identification section... Since wildcards aren't currently supported, it might be simpler just to use this:

<Identification>
</Identification>

That's based on the post above, which mentions the following user agent:

User-Agent: Linux/2.6.18-7.2, UPnP/1.0 DIRECTV JHUPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.00 DIRECTV VIIV devices INTEL_NMPR/2.1

If there are cases where it's just "Linux/2.6.18-7.2", then obviously you'd need that as an additional header.

Also, did you confirm that OnlyPlainVideoItems and OnlyStorageFolders are required? I ask only because it's generally best not to use these settings unless the device needs it.

#14 fkick

fkick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

fkick:

Thanks for your work on this.

Around the identification section... Since wildcards aren't currently supported, it might be simpler just to use this:

<Identification>
</Identification>

That's based on the post above, which mentions the following user agent:

User-Agent: Linux/2.6.18-7.2, UPnP/1.0 DIRECTV JHUPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.00 DIRECTV VIIV devices INTEL_NMPR/2.1

If there are cases where it's just "Linux/2.6.18-7.2", then obviously you'd need that as an additional header.

Also, did you confirm that OnlyPlainVideoItems and OnlyStorageFolders are required? I ask only because it's generally best not to use these settings unless the device needs it.

Hi mfeingol,

Thanks for the suggestion with the user agent string, loosing the wildcards worked on my end and I was able to clear the Linux distro.

As for the OnlyPlainVideoItems and OnlyStorageFolders, I noticed a faster navigation through the HR24's menus when they were added and so I kept them in, but the DVR is able to navigate without them.

However, after some more research it looks like the Directv DVR's will not be able to playback any video with the Plex DLNA server in its current form. The DVRS can only playback video in MPEG2 in the container "mpeg" (not "mpegts") and according to the "So you want your DLNA device to work with PMS" article, PMS currently only supports transcoding to asf, mpegts and avi. The Directv boxes will show "x" next to any videos that have those containers.

#15 Desiato

Desiato

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

However, after some more research it looks like the Directv DVR's will not be able to playback any video with the Plex DLNA server in its current form. The DVRS can only playback video in MPEG2 in the container "mpeg" (not "mpegts")...

I'd like to offer some conflicting (and hopefully promising) information about the DirecTV DVRs that might help get them running with Plex. I run the MediaTomb streamer with my DirecTV HR2x units. I'm streamed many transcoded videos to my DVRs using mpegts format. The configuration is shown here. You will see that the ffmpeg command line contains "-f mpegts".

I haven't played with Plex yet, but I'm looking for a new streaming server that will support my DirecTV DVRs, Samsung TV, and a future Roku 2. Plex looks like the most promising server as long as we can get it to stream to a DirectTV DVR.

Best,
John

#16 fkick

fkick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'd like to offer some conflicting (and hopefully promising) information about the DirecTV DVRs that might help get them running with Plex. I run the MediaTomb streamer with my DirecTV HR2x units. I'm streamed many transcoded videos to my DVRs using mpegts format. The configuration is shown here. You will see that the ffmpeg command line contains "-f mpegts".

I haven't played with Plex yet, but I'm looking for a new streaming server that will support my DirecTV DVRs, Samsung TV, and a future Roku 2. Plex looks like the most promising server as long as we can get it to stream to a DirectTV DVR.

Best,
John

Thanks for the info John! There's a few new features coming in the next version of the Plex media server that might allow this to work properly with the Directv DVR. I'm currently out of town until Wednesday but when I get back I'll look into adapting this and see if we can get it working.

Thanks!
Fkick

#17 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:49 PM

It may be worth trying "mpeg" as the transcode container, in this case. We don't support that at all and don't expect it to work, but it's worth a try.

#18 fkick

fkick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

Mfeingol,

Is WAV a valid audio transcode container/codec?

#19 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:00 AM

We don't support audio transcoding over DLNA at the moment. So, no.

#20 sbradley

sbradley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Hopeful support will be coming. I can confirm mediatomb has worked for me as well and they have config on their site that have info that will get support in plex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users