61 replies to this topic

#1 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:29 PM

This post lists the Plex Media Server preferences that are relevant to DLNA support. Some of these may be useful to you when debugging DLNA clients that aren't working.

The following preferences are currently supported:
  • DlnaEnabled - bool - Determines whether Plex Media Server's DLNA service is enabled. 1=on, 0=off. Default is 1.
  • DlnaPlatinumLoggingLevel - string - Specifies the level of verbosity of the Plex DLNA Server Neptune.log file. Values can be one of OFF, FATAL, SEVERE, WARNING, INFO, FINE, FINER, FINEST. Default is INFO.
  • DlnaReportTimeline - bool - Determines whether Plex Media Server's DLNA service will record approximate playback progress. 1=on, 0=off. Default is 1.
  • DlnaDeviceDiscoveryInterval - integer - Determines the duration in seconds of the interval between SSDP searches performed by Plex Media Server's DLNA server. These searches are used to enable detection of client devices by friendly name and other non-request-driven mechanisms. If this value is set to zero, no such searches will occur, and friendly name detection mechanisms will not work. Default is 60 (aka 1 minute).
  • DlnaDefaultProtocolInfo - string - specifies the string used by Plex Media Server to respond to GetProtocolInfo requests. The default is generally fine, and if you know enough to change this, you probably know what to change it to. :)
  • DlnaClientPreferences - string - Specifies video quality setting overrides for local, remote and online content, as well as direct-play and direct-streaming preferences. Settings can be specified by matching client profile name, or by IP address. If multiple settings apply to the same client, the first entry in the string wins. IP-address-based settings can also be edited by browsing into the "Preferences" folder under the video tree in a DLNA client.
A self-explanatory example of a DlnaClientPreferences string follows:
Client=Xbox 360,DirectPlay=true,DirectStream=false,LocalResolution=1920x1080,LocalVideoQuality=74,RemoteResolution=1280x720,RemoteVideoQuality=49,OnlineResolution=1280x720,OnlineVideoQuality=49,SubtitleSize=100,AudioBoost=100;IP=127.0.0.1,DirectPlay=false
On Windows, preferences are set by adding or editing registry values under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server. Strings are REG_SZ, integers are REG_DWORD, and boolean preferences are REG_DWORD with values 0/1.

On OS X, preferences are set like this:
$ defaults write com.plexapp.plexmediaserver DlnaEnabled -boolean YES
$ defaults write com.plexapp.plexmediaserver DlnaPlatinumLoggingLevel FINE

#2 pacificstorm

pacificstorm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:50 AM

Where do you set the extra preferences for Plex Media Server on OS X?

#3 pacificstorm

pacificstorm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Where do you set the extra preferences for Plex Media Server on OS X?

~/Library/Preferences/com.plexapp.plexmediaserver.plist

#4 jalanr

jalanr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

Where do you set the extra preferences for Plex Media Server on Windows?
My Plex Media Server is installed in a Windows Home Server and I cannot find that file.
Also in "Plex DLNA Server.log" I get the message "Unable to find client DLNA profiles".

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks in advance.
PLEX on a MacMini Core2 Duo, 2Ghz, 2Gb + Philips 42PF9966 Plasma + Marantz 7400 + Mission 5.1 Speakers + WHS 6 Tb
Other Plex clients: WD Live TV, iPhone, iPad ....
If you like photography: http://sites.google..../betofotosbeto/

#5 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

On Windows there are registry values under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Plex, Inc.\Plex Media Server. If you don't see the one you're interested in, you can create it. E.g. boolean preferences are REG_DWORD with values 0/1.

The "Unable to find client DLNA profiles" message is normal. (Unless you actually think you've created a client profile file, in which case you've named it incorrectly or put it in the wrong place.)

#6 jalanr

jalanr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the info.
No I have not created a client profile, just thought that the message was indicting that it could not find the "dlnaclientprofiles.xml" file

By the way, found the file in two folders:
"C:\\Documents and Settings\user_name\Local Settings\Application Data\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\System.bundle\Contents\Resources\dlnaclientprofiles.xml"
"C:\Program Files\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins\System.bundle\Contents\Resources\dlnaclientprofiles.xml"
PLEX on a MacMini Core2 Duo, 2Ghz, 2Gb + Philips 42PF9966 Plasma + Marantz 7400 + Mission 5.1 Speakers + WHS 6 Tb
Other Plex clients: WD Live TV, iPhone, iPad ....
If you like photography: http://sites.google..../betofotosbeto/

#7 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 06:27 AM

Yes. That's normal.

#8 MisoSoup

MisoSoup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Any suggestions on where to place the dlnaclientprofiles.xml on a Linux Media Server? I've tried any number of locations. Do I need to create a home folder for the plex user and put it there?

thanks

#9 convas

convas

Plex Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1057 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

Hi,
DlnaClientPreferences, is this also a registry entry for Windows install ?

#10 mfeingol

mfeingol

Plex Dev Team

• Plex Employee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2897 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

convas:

Yes, a REG_SZ value.

#11 MisoSoup

MisoSoup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

To answer my own question:

/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

Any suggestions on where to place the dlnaclientprofiles.xml on a Linux Media Server? I've tried any number of locations. Do I need to create a home folder for the plex user and put it there?

thanks

#12 rndrummond

rndrummond

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:01 PM

thanks

where is this file on mac osx?

#13 ianken

ianken

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

By the way, found the file in two folders:
"C:\\Documents and Settings\user_name\Local Settings\Application Data\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\System.bundle\Contents\Resources\dlnaclientprofiles.xml"
"C:\Program Files\Plex\Plex Media Server\Resources\Plug-ins\System.bundle\Contents\Resources\dlnaclientprofiles.xml"

I saw that too. The guide on client profiles says to put it in the user directory under the PMS folder. What "user" directory? Do I need to create it? is it along the "user_name\local settings" path or the "program files\..." path?

-Ian

#14 MisoSoup

MisoSoup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:21 AM

where is this file on mac osx?

~/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/

#15 Xebozone

Xebozone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

To answer my own question:

/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

That is the system profile, I believe.
Where is the client profile searched for?
Does anybody know this on Ubuntu?
I tried /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server
but it seems this is wrong, as it is just a copy of the var/lib one, and the xml file was already there.

#16 MisoSoup

MisoSoup

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

The log shows my customized dlnaclientprofiles.xml loading from this location.

That is the system profile, I believe.
Where is the client profile searched for?
Does anybody know this on Ubuntu?
I tried /usr/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server
but it seems this is wrong, as it is just a copy of the var/lib one, and the xml file was already there.

#17 jmk

jmk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

@mfeingol: it looks like your asumption "you know how to set preferences on your platform of choice" is off :) Would you maybe edit your first post and add these? Right now, one has to scroll through the thread to find the relevant tid bits. May be you could put it in one place? (After all, the thread title is "Plex Media Server DLNA preferences") Thank you.

#18 irwindesigns

irwindesigns

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

I feel like a total newb, I.ve read through this post and I am not able to find the .plist preferences file anywhere on my MacMini. I want to try using th DNLA server on my PS3 to see how performance is but it seems to be turned off.

Plex Media Server - Version 0.9.6.0-e37b24b
Mac Mini
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b)

#19 bmxpunk2315

bmxpunk2315

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:10 AM

I'm having the same trouble finding the .plist file. I don't have any prefs for plex or pms that I can find. I even dug through the app content and couldn't find it. Any help would rock!

#20 mtrivs

mtrivs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

If it is any use, I have Ubuntu 12.04 and found dlnaclientprofiles.xml file in:
/var/lib/plexmediaserver/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Plug-ins/System.bundle/Contents/Resources

never hurts to try a:
$ locate dlnaclientprofiles.xml
:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users