• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SteveNYC

SteveNYC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

I was trying to think of which forum to put this into and this one made the most sense since I was looking for the opinions of Roku owners mostly.

I am running the latest Plex beta server with the new DLNA functionality and I own a Western Digital TV Live Plus HD. I am extremely impressed with the functionality. It plays everything I have thrown at it so far, including some very high bitrate MKV files. PMS is running on a 2011 Mac Mini 2.5 GHz w/8GB RAM.

But I can't ignore the fact that having a native Plex client is pretty sweet. The DLNA functionality is great in the WD TV Live Plus HD, but the UI is spartan. It will get better through tweaks in the new PMS, but a native client will always be better on the UI side.

My question to the forum is not so simple. On its face, the question is simply... is Plex on the Roku worth getting a Roku? But I already get 90% of the functionality of Plex through the WD TV Live Plus HD. So the more complicated answer is, is getting the Roku worth it if you already had 90% of the functionality in something you already owned? How is the subtitle support or changing audio streams in mid-play? It works well on the WD TV Live Plus HD. Hopefully it's just as smooth on the Roku.

By my take, I would also gain access to Amazon Prime Instant videos, so that's a good thing. Crackle as well. Minor negatives are that the Roku has limited format support so there will often be a fair amount of transcoding and less DirectPlay usage.

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

#2 Trudge

Trudge

Gone off to greener pastures....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9403 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:58 PM

I was trying to think of which forum to put this into and this one made the most sense since I was looking for the opinions of Roku owners mostly.

I am running the latest Plex beta server with the new DLNA functionality and I own a Western Digital TV Live Plus HD. I am extremely impressed with the functionality. It plays everything I have thrown at it so far, including some very high bitrate MKV files. PMS is running on a 2011 Mac Mini 2.5 GHz w/8GB RAM.

But I can't ignore the fact that having a native Plex client is pretty sweet. The DLNA functionality is great in the WD TV Live Plus HD, but the UI is spartan. It will get better through tweaks in the new PMS, but a native client will always be better on the UI side.

My question to the forum is not so simple. On its face, the question is simply... is Plex on the Roku worth getting a Roku? But I already get 90% of the functionality of Plex through the WD TV Live Plus HD. So the more complicated answer is, is getting the Roku worth it if you already had 90% of the functionality in something you already owned? How is the subtitle support or changing audio streams in mid-play? It works well on the WD TV Live Plus HD. Hopefully it's just as smooth on the Roku.

By my take, I would also gain access to Amazon Prime Instant videos, so that's a good thing. Crackle as well. Minor negatives are that the Roku has limited format support so there will often be a fair amount of transcoding and less DirectPlay usage.

Any opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Roku have a 30 day money back returns policy - you could try it out, and if you don't feel it was worth the extra cost for what you want to use it for, you can return it and get your cash back.

http://support.roku....uarantee-policy
Primary PMS: Ubuntu 13.10, i7-4771, 16GB Ram, Samsung 840 Pro 512GB
Media Storage: 2 x ReadyNas Pro Business 18TB mounted by NFS to Plex Server
Desktop Clients: 1 x Windows 7 27", 1 x 15.4 Retina MBP, 2 x17" MBP, 1 x 13" MB, 1 x13" MBA
Mobile Clients: 2 x iPhone 5s, 3 x iPhone 5, 3 x iPhone 4s, 3 x iPhone 4, 2 x iPad 3, 2 x iPad 2
Airplay & PlexConnect Targets: 4 x ATV3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users